Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caufman
May 7, 2007
Deus caritas est, God is love, brothers and sisters. Let this be as natural and foundational to you as any truth can be.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sounds pretty relatable, honestly.

e: That is to say, there's a certain paradox at the heart of making an all-powerful being the ultimate symbol of hope and salvation for the powerless. A powerless savior would not avail you, but an all-powerful one is unimaginably distant from your own experience.

The paradoxes are what make the Jesus story so compelling to me. The ultimate deity suffered mortal existence with us and had something to teach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't want to believe in the hand that built a universe where life must feed on life to survive, just for starters.

Fortunately platypi, genitals, skunk cabbage, and general relativity make a pretty good case for capital-A Accident.

bombardier beetles (who will squirt burning hot caustic crap all over you) and fig wasps (which caused Aristotle to be like "this is a fruit that spontaneously produces wasps that's scary"), the predatory cone snails that can kill you with insulin (conus geographus), the pistol shrimp that kills its prey with the sound of its snap (which, very briefly, causes a cavitation bubble almost as hot as the surface of the sun) and whatever the heck is up with kangaroo balls

I guess it's just a different viewpoint, because I think all of this is awesome, not accidental.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

So the Imp Zone just had a run in with scripture

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804982#post468228938

The Phlegmatist posted:

bombardier beetles (who will squirt burning hot caustic crap all over you) and fig wasps (which caused Aristotle to be like "this is a fruit that spontaneously produces wasps that's scary"), the predatory cone snails that can kill you with insulin (conus geographus), the pistol shrimp that kills its prey with the sound of its snap (which, very briefly, causes a cavitation bubble almost as hot as the surface of the sun) and whatever the heck is up with kangaroo balls

I guess it's just a different viewpoint, because I think all of this is awesome, not accidental.

Something can be both awesome and accidental, like my daughter.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the geographic cone snail can use insulin as a weapon? loving sick

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

link

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caufman posted:

Deus caritas est, God is love, brothers and sisters. Let this be as natural and foundational to you as any truth can be.

The paradoxes are what make the Jesus story so compelling to me. The ultimate deity suffered mortal existence with us and had something to teach.

back when i was still christian i really liked the idea of jesus as fellow-sufferer. that because of the incarnation god identified with the human experience, and because of the crucifixion identified with the suffering of humanity. like an almost transubstantiated presence is with those who are suffering, those who are oppressed, those who despair. god is with us and suffers with us and while the resurrection promises that this suffering will be transformed into triumph at the same time it doesn't mean that the crucifixion is somehow negated.

i don't know i just find the idea that god is all powerful but still cares about each individual person and when things happen that suffering happens god is with us in that suffering and hurts too because god knows what it's like to suffer

now that i think about it i wonder how much of my idea of god's compassion was shaped by my experience with the legend of kannon's head splitting into pieces upon seeing the suffering of the world, and thanks to the aid and compassion of amida these pieces were turned into eleven heads with which to peer into the many realms, and when she tried to reach out to the voices of those suffering her hands split apart and amida transformed the pieces into a thousand arms with which to swiftly aid those in suffering throughout the realms of existence. reading that was a foundational religious experience for me and moved me from being a selfish child towards an ethic of compassion

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Mo Tzu posted:

back when i was still christian i really liked the idea of jesus as fellow-sufferer. that because of the incarnation god identified with the human experience, and because of the crucifixion identified with the suffering of humanity. like an almost transubstantiated presence is with those who are suffering, those who are oppressed, those who despair. god is with us and suffers with us and while the resurrection promises that this suffering will be transformed into triumph at the same time it doesn't mean that the crucifixion is somehow negated.

i don't know i just find the idea that god is all powerful but still cares about each individual person and when things happen that suffering happens god is with us in that suffering and hurts too because god knows what it's like to suffer

This is the element of Catholicism that I enjoy, namely the crucifix versus the empty cross. Catholicism focuses mostly on the Incarnation, whereas Protestants like to focus on Calvary. The idea that God became man to suffer with us, so that we could understand Him better, is a pretty powerful one. I wish the liberation theologians didn't have a weird strain of anti-clericalism running through it that caused the Vatican to tell them to cut it out, because it's a powerful message.

Mo Tzu posted:

now that i think about it i wonder how much of my idea of god's compassion was shaped by my experience with the legend of kannon's head splitting into pieces upon seeing the suffering of the world, and thanks to the aid and compassion of amida these pieces were turned into eleven heads with which to peer into the many realms, and when she tried to reach out to the voices of those suffering her hands split apart and amida transformed the pieces into a thousand arms with which to swiftly aid those in suffering throughout the realms of existence. reading that was a foundational religious experience for me and moved me from being a selfish child towards an ethic of compassion

Kannon is Guanyin essentially right?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
kannon is the japanese name for guanyin, yes. my go to i usually guan yin (because kannon is a bit difficult for my white rear end to say) but being a follower of a japanese sect of buddhism plus studying japanese i feel like kannon should be my go to now

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

The Phlegmatist posted:

I wish the liberation theologians didn't have a weird strain of anti-clericalism running through it that caused the Vatican to tell them to cut it out.

I think it was more the Marxism, and the shift from Orthodoxy to Orthopraxis.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Mo Tzu posted:

There are at least two things I can identify as gifts of salvation that the ultimate deity has given to human individuals: solace to those who are suffering, and encouragement to those who take on the suffering of another.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I think it was more the Marxism, and the shift from Orthodoxy to Orthopraxis.

Or priests carrying AK47s, which gives a Vatican the spook.

Really though I like liberation theology. The base communities thing, not really, although they were facing a priest shortage at the time (I think South America still does have a major vocation shortage.) But in its essence, the application of critical theory to the Gospel message is pretty legitimate.

e: Guanyin is legit, I always liked Guanyin.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i used to be a liberation theologian ama

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Mo Tzu posted:

i used to be a liberation theologian ama

What was the weirdest thing/group you ever saw the liberation hermeneutic applied to?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
bdsm

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i haven't seen a diaper furry liberation theology but something tells me that's only because i haven't LOOKED for a diaper furry liberation theology

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the bdsm people want to shove that into everything they can, it's like that one joke about vegans

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"well you see actually my wife and i are queer because i tie her up and call her a slut and beat her, but like, in a sexual way. so really i'm just like you fags and trannies"

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

the bdsm people want to shove that into everything they can, it's like that one joke about vegans

Remember when Tias suggested I incorporate BDSM principles into my kung fu training so I popped boners doing Wing Chun contact drills? Good times.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Nobody ever told me matrimony could nor or should not be kinky.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mo Tzu posted:

"well you see actually my wife and i are queer because i tie her up and call her a slut and beat her, but like, in a sexual way. so really i'm just like you fags and trannies"

sometime i wonder how many times a day i can post the animated gif of nathan fillion on firefly without ever watching the show

the odds on this are looking a bit pale

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caufman posted:

yeah but you don't gotta be all "jesus is the suffering bottom" about it like kinks are kinks god is god never the twain shall become jerk off fodder, robert shore-goss

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Caufman posted:

nobody else wants to hear about what you and your partner do in bed either. that's private.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mo Tzu posted:

nothing's queerer than an exaggerated version of the patriarchy that already oppresses us, and to which almost every public mouthpiece insists we conform

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i feel vaguely reminded of being in a catholic men's group in college where this seminarian (i think he was going for deaconate) was talking about his addiction to jacking off, and specifically about how he ran his business in the ground jacking it to the music video for toxic

like dude no one wants to hear about how you jacked off SO HARD you ruined your business, and we certainly didn't need to know what you were jacking it to. i mean at least he didn't give us a time stamp for where he would climax but jesus dude come on have some decorum

i also vaguely remember someone at my seminary talking about how they had to be careful talking about things like bdsm because some people have bad experiences with it and i was kinda like "why are you talking about bdsm from the pulpit what is wrong with you that is private"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
hey ya'll, ever hear of making the bishop?

the iq in the room dropped a bit so i was just curious

Caufman
May 7, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

nobody else wants to hear about what you and your partner do in bed either. that's private.

That's a good point, nobody really does ask to hear that.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Mo Tzu posted:

i feel vaguely reminded of being in a catholic men's group in college where this seminarian (i think he was going for deaconate) was talking about his addiction to jacking off, and specifically about how he ran his business in the ground jacking it to the music video for toxic

quote:

" . . . She did not know whether she meant Jared or herself. Kiwi noted the irony that what she had done had taken place on the very couch Waquini had used for his liaison. I'm such a slut. The words oozed from her broken heart. When she thought about Minn, the horror of what she had done made her chest tight. This was a big deal, and I just let that Jared do me like a dog. No, I wanted it, too! I just let him have me.

Mama, why did you have to die? Why did Daddy have to take me away from the Rez? Why?"

Our new bishop is in trouble over a priest in his last diocese writing whatever the gently caress this is in his young adult fiction books

priests are weird, avoid seminary at all costs

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mo Tzu posted:

HEY GAL posted:

nothing's queerer than an exaggerated version of the patriarchy that already oppresses us, and to which almost every public mouthpiece insists we conform

I'm sure you don't mean to, but shaming queer-identifying BSDM practicioners( or those who aren't 'pure' enough in your perception of said practice) doesn't really make you any better than heteronormative BDSM puppies.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Remember when Tias suggested I incorporate BDSM principles into my kung fu training so I popped boners doing Wing Chun contact drills? Good times.

Come now, to wit you said you popped boners already and felt shameful, and so one might as well make a virtue out of the necessary!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Bdsm, vegans, crossfit, vaping, /r/atheism and other things people would like to hear less.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
sorry but cishets who like whips and chains are not queer lmao

and i don't even like the word queer, it's a bad umbrella imho and i'm not huge into the whole "queering" aspect of queer theory

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Tias posted:

Come now, to wit you said you popped boners already and felt shameful, and so one might as well make a virtue out of the necessary!

Reading this terrified me because that is definitely NOT true to my experience, and so had to make sure that's not what I said.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I will never do BDSM because what if I like it and every time I take a punch practicing kung fu I get a massive erection. :magical:

"What if" being the thing that keeps it in the realm of not actually happening.

Still a funny interaction, though.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Reading this terrified me because that is definitely NOT true to my experience, and so had to make sure that's not what I said.

"What if" being the thing that keeps it in the realm of not actually happening.

Still a funny interaction, though.

My bad :)

Mo Tzu posted:

I would have to agree if that's all they like, but this smacks of you have an issue with cishet practicioners of BDSM already, and if you hear them calling themselves queer, maybe they are?

BDSM and gender-bending, crossdressing and gender roleplay are very often related, even for seemingly vanilla people.

Mo Tzu posted:

and i don't even like the word queer, it's a bad umbrella imho and i'm not huge into the whole "queering" aspect of queer theory

And that's the crux. Maybe accept that you don't get to arbite who is queer and who isn't, hopefully you don't judge as much in other areas of life :/

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

Mo Tzu posted:

yeah but you don't gotta be all "jesus is the suffering bottom" about it like kinks are kinks god is god never the twain shall become jerk off fodder, robert shore-goss

Hahahaha, oh boy do I have some news for you about medieval and early modern era ecstatic mystics. Because there are, from what I remember reading, tonnes of them who just seem to really get into kinks that even today people would find strange.

Also just a quick thing but has anyone read the Diary of Margery Kempe? Its a very rare book of a lay-person come mystic from Norwich and her attempts to be taken seriously as a mystical source for Jesus. It so refreshing to see everyone from Bishops to fellow pilgrims go "Oh no, not her again" and this is in the late 13 and early 1400's a time when "mystic" was a recognised profession. Seriously read it, it is just fascinating.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mo Tzu posted:

As the ultimate warrior said, queering don't make the world work

Tias
May 25, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

As the ultimate warrior said, queering don't make the world work

He also wanted to nuke the middle east, sure he's your go-to for political opinions?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Josef bugman posted:

Also just a quick thing but has anyone read the Diary of Margery Kempe? Its a very rare book of a lay-person come mystic from Norwich and her attempts to be taken seriously as a mystical source for Jesus. It so refreshing to see everyone from Bishops to fellow pilgrims go "Oh no, not her again" and this is in the late 13 and early 1400's a time when "mystic" was a recognised profession. Seriously read it, it is just fascinating.

Agreed. But honestly, she sounds like she was a real chore.

JcDent posted:

Bdsm, vegans, crossfit, vaping, /r/atheism and other things people would like to hear less.

And as they were eating, Kinky Jesus took tempeh, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, take, eat, this is my ripped, swole body that can do many reps.
And he took the e-juice, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, vape ye all of it, you Xtian sheeple.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mr Enderby posted:

And as they were eating, Kinky Jesus took tempeh, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, take, eat, this is my ripped, swole, gluten-free body that can do many reps.
And he took the e-juice, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, vape ye all of it, you Xtian sheeple.
Eat raw, organic, and unpasteurized, in remembrance of me.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 12, 2017

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

quote:

“The last time a theological dispute among Christians was settled by brute force was in July 1913, when the Russian navy was deployed on Mount Athos and carried off to Russia more than eight hundred monks who had taken the wrong side, from the church hierarchy’s point of view, in an argument over the holiness of the names of God and Jesus.”

Ran across this quote this morning, and I would like to know more.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Imiaslavie!

I actually wrote a whole paper on this in college for a History of Mathematics class since the movement was essentially headed by crazy Russian mathematician-mystics like Pavel Florensky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

The Phlegmatist posted:

Imiaslavie!

I actually wrote a whole paper on this in college for a History of Mathematics class since the movement was essentially headed by crazy Russian mathematician-mystics like Pavel Florensky.

That's fascinating. Thanks for the quick answer.

I love the idea of mathematician-mystics being carried away by the Russian Navy storming Mr. Athos.

• Locked thread