Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Didn't someone involved in the MCU say they wanted him to be MODOK at one point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I have this feeling we're gonna get Pip the Troll in a marvel movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Who has the rights to Uatu the Watcher?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/819374840188547072

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I think they're gonna bank hard on having dudes like Will Smith and The Rock in marquee roles as a big part of the "DC IS FUN NOW" marketing strategy. You watch it's only a matter of time until we get Tom Cruise in self parody mode as Metatron.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Part of what annoys me about the nerd crows annoying Affleck about the solo Batman movie is that there's no shortage of Batman movies. There's even one coming out in theatres next month. I want them to fast track SHAZAM already!

Edit: You can't cast Tom Cruise as Metron. Metron only sits in a chair. That doesn't give Cruise a chance to run.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Tom Cruise is already attached to the Archie comics universe as the lead of their Sonic the Hedgehog film.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Tom Cruise is already attached to the Archie comics universe as the lead of their Sonic the Hedgehog film.

You're joking

I hope to God you are anyways

But Cruise is tied to the new Universal Monster universe.

It's going to be a loving disaster and an awful thing but you know that's where he is.

Hey I have an idea, let's make a new cash in movie cinematic universe on that is going to force us to remake some of the best made and best remembered movies that defined culture forever

Let's do that and then make them suck and generic pieces of poo poo

YEAH that's a great idea

loving christ Universal

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hey Tom Cruise isn't generic.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You've seen the trailer for the Mummy remake yes?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The formal title is Tom Cruise's Continuing Issues With The Monstrous Feminine, pt. VI, oktx

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Burkion posted:

Tom Cruise has, before this, attached himself to some really great sci-fi projects - Oblivion and Live Die Repeat were great (LDR was significantly better). I wouldn't be surprised if the Mummy turns out to be at least decent.
And the mummy has a better evil sorceress than Suicide Squad.

What this world needs now is Avatar, but everyone is Sonic the Hedgehog characters. I'd camp out the night before release if Cruise were Sonic.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Black Adam can't be too ruthless and too much of an anti-hero. That isn't fun, hopeful or optimistic. Well, maybe the constant barrage of pop music will add levity to the fascism and violence. poo poo like unity and redemption from sacrifice? Bunch of grimdark, unfun, dour horseshit that!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Drifter posted:

What this world needs now is Avatar, but everyone is Sonic the Hedgehog characters. I'd camp out the night before release if Cruise were Sonic.

The government has spent a fortune creating an Original Character, only to have the man designed to inhabit it unexpectedly die. The government turns to his twin brother, a paraplegic former Marine, with an irresistible offer: in exchange for his cooperation, he will once again be able to go fast.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MacheteZombie posted:

"The Anti-Life Equation" brings a smile to face every time I read it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-9z5WOCEs4&t=1188s

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jimbot posted:

Black Adam can't be too ruthless and too much of an anti-hero. That isn't fun, hopeful or optimistic. Well, maybe the constant barrage of pop music will add levity to the fascism and violence. poo poo like unity and redemption from sacrifice? Bunch of grimdark, unfun, dour horseshit that!

About that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNXqIvodEHw&t=141s

So, that whole thing about entitlement from comic fans you were talking about? I just found a perfect example of that on our very own BSS. First you have people saying why doesn't WB drops truckloads of money on Affleck's doorstep to fast track The Batman and then you have people saying how stupid is to let one person "take hostage" an entire project and how Marvel is better by having the reins of all their projects. Is pretty surreal to say the least.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The Rock has been "attached" to the role of Black Adam since like 2005. It's one of those things like in the 90s it was just a given, "if they make an X-Men movie, Patrick Stewart is going to play Professor Xavier." Actors, I think, pay attention to this stuff so I think The Rock has been excited to be Black Adam for like a decade plus Geoff Johns and everybody else has always been like "well, The Rock is Black Adam, no question."

(It is kinda funny how Black Adam's origin, once expanded, kinda plays out like The Scorpion King).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Burkion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuWQsanUBXY

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Also so, I'm doing my third watch of Beavis: Dodge rn and I may be a little tipsy but Batman's bitchy shrug + "well----here I am" when Superman lands made me BOL. Like Batman is so sure Superman's been obsessing over him, wringing his hands......

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Has black adam actually been that popular to have fans??? :psyduck:

I mean, he's coool and all, but I never really had heard of him except from ... well, I guess Ultimates has been ten or fifteen years now, huh?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Back when I was reading I read a lot of JSA and Black Adam was a really interesting character. A villain with a moral center who fit that traditional mode of genuinely believing he was right and actually kind of having a point of a lot of the time until he took it too far.

The one thing I find a little odd about the DCU is that they're casting these otherwise loved charismatic actors like Smith and the Rock in villain roles. On one hand it can help to humanize the villains but on the other hand Deadshot and Black Adam are pretty clear bad dudes when push comes to shove.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Back when I was reading I read a lot of JSA and Black Adam was a really interesting character. A villain with a moral center who fit that traditional mode of genuinely believing he was right and actually kind of having a point of a lot of the time until he took it too far.

Yeah, Black Adam is kind of DC's Magneto that way, and for a time Khandaq was his Genosha.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

STAC Goat posted:

The one thing I find a little odd about the DCU is that they're casting these otherwise loved charismatic actors like Smith and the Rock in villain roles. On one hand it can help to humanize the villains but on the other hand Deadshot and Black Adam are pretty clear bad dudes when push comes to shove.

I think they're chasing the iconic level goal of how new Jack Nicholson Joker and Michelle Pfeiffer Catwoman merchandise still gets made today.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, it seems to be a bit much to call Batman's dreams visions of the future. I mean, I guess I personally missed that those flying things were Parademons and that Flash showed up for real and not just in a "I woke up, no I didn't" dream. So I should probably go rewatchng that sequence. But even still unless Batman suddenly has psychic powers I don't think we should be taking it for granted that Supes is going evil Space Hitler if Lois dies. That's just Batman's obvious fear, that if you cut his tie story humanity he'll turn into the alien threat he's afraid of. If something or someone else played off that and influenced some ideas, or conveniently time jumped right after, I guess I have to go watch again now.

There's also a part in the vision where he goes up to the guys at the truck and says "Did you get it? The rock?" and then opens a Lexcorp crate which has a green glow inside it, only to discover that there's no rock and he's been set up. This is before Bruce finds out about kryptonite in his current timeline.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
No, the dream happens while he's decrypting Lex's data to find out who the White Portuguese is, because he knows they're bringing kryptonite into town.
Bruce does "wake up" after the Flash leaves, but papers are blowing around.
The whole movie is a melding of reality and Batman's dreams really, the decryption dream does have all sorts of hints at Darkseid, but it's possible the Flash drug that back through time with him.
It's also just the world as hell as Batman is powerless to stop it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wyoming posted:

No, the dream happens while he's decrypting Lex's data to find out who the White Portuguese is, because he knows they're bringing kryptonite into town.

Dang it, I forgot that the story about the dirty bomb which the White Portuguese was supposedly bringing into Gotham was a lie Bruce was telling Alfred until he got called on it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Also so, I'm doing my third watch of Beavis: Dodge rn and I may be a little tipsy but Batman's bitchy shrug + "well----here I am" when Superman lands made me BOL. Like Batman is so sure Superman's been obsessing over him, wringing his hands......

Well he had been

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Drifter posted:

Has black adam actually been that popular to have fans??? :psyduck:
Oh, you've done it now. :shopkeeper: CHOCOLATE EGG CREME! :shopkeeper:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

wyoming posted:

Bruce does "wake up" after the Flash leaves, but papers are blowing around.
The whole movie is a melding of reality and Batman's dreams really, the decryption dream does have all sorts of hints at Darkseid, but it's possible the Flash drug that back through time with him.
It's also just the world as hell as Batman is powerless to stop it.

I just figured all the Darkseid allusions were Bruce's subconscious detectiving of poo poo in Luthor's files while trying to decrypt the Justice League audition files. Or had Luthor not yet come across the galactic data dump from the Archive/Stephenwolf/whatever galactic things?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I thought it was very clear that the Flash was somehow allowing Bruce to see either the future or some alternate version of the present. I don't think there's any other way to interpret the scene, it would be quite a coincidence that the "dream" happens right as Flash is trying to communicate with Bruce through some sort of hole in space-time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gyges posted:

I just figured all the Darkseid allusions were Bruce's subconscious detectiving of poo poo in Luthor's files while trying to decrypt the Justice League audition files. Or had Luthor not yet come across the galactic data dump from the Archive/Stephenwolf/whatever galactic things?

iirc, Luthor didn't have it galactic data yet, but he did have access to the ship and Zod's body (the Jolly Rancher bit and then he removes Zod's fingerprints with the kryptonite scalpel like 20-30 minutes earlier into the movie, depending on which version you watch).

However, I did think the 1st dream was Darkseid more than Flash. If you don't know anything from the comics though, the dream plays off more as a depiction of Bruce's paranoia. It's the 1% thing playing out for him in a vivid dream, which also is a hellish Desert Storm scenario. The Flash time travel is purposely confusing, for better or worse, even his dialogue makes it unclear what he's trying communicate. Typical Barry Allen.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The big giant Omega symbol shows you that it's not just a dream. It's some kind of portent or omen. I'm not saying that everything in it is literal, but it's not just some paranoiac images from a disturbed individual.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I guess we won't actually know what the visions were about until they make the movies that explain why the Flash was trying to contact Bruce, they left it vague enough that they could go in several directions with it. It's a sequel hook that came in the middle of the movie, it's supposed to be vague yet intriguing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Basebf555 posted:

I thought it was very clear that the Flash was somehow allowing Bruce to see either the future or some alternate version of the present. I don't think there's any other way to interpret the scene, it would be quite a coincidence that the "dream" happens right as Flash is trying to communicate with Bruce through some sort of hole in space-time.

Catching Bruce waking from some sort of nightmare about how he messed up something and the future isn't right due to his failure is probably about as coincidental as catching Aquaman near a body of water.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It could be, I just don't think it's a safe assumption to make when Flash actually says he's arrived at the wrong time. He mistakenly confirms Bruce's worst nightmare.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Hodgepodge posted:

..it is literally a negation of free will by the total crushing of hope.

Cripes, so basically we can expect Darkseid to actually appear to us all within a couple of years then.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Warner Bros and DC are moving aggressively on a new screen version of Green Lantern. They’ve set David Goyer to write the script with Justin Rhodes for Green Lantern Corps, with Goyer producing and with DC heads Geoff Johns and Jon Berg exec producing. The new version is described as Lethal Weapon in space, and it’s based on a comic book origin story. The focus will be on two characters: Hal Jordan and John Stewart. The latter is an African American Marine sniper before he joined the Lantern Corps and the story very much focuses on his relationship with Jordan and the Corps. The story was conceived by Goyer and Johns.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/green-lantern-corps-warner-bros-david-goyer-justin-rhodes-dc-1201884133/

HAL MOTHERFUCKING JORDAN IS A GO :dance:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We already had Hal Jordan. And Goyer? And focusing marine sniper John instead of architect John?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ugh. Goyer and Johns again. Didn't they gently caress it up enough last time? Jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

McCloud posted:

Ugh. Goyer and Johns again. Didn't they gently caress it up enough last time? Jesus christ.

Last time?

They haven't worked on a film together yet, the previous GL film was written by
Greg Berlanti, Michael Green, Marc Guggenheim and Michael Goldenberg based on a story by Berlanti, Guggenheim and Green.

• Locked thread