Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Gwendoline Christie wouldn't have a career without Game Of Thrones, so there's that. The only person who seemed to give a poo poo about her was Terry Gilliam, who liked her so much in a two minute role that he cast her in a second, even smaller role three years later.

Now she's doing films, and has been a regular in two other tv shows, including Jane Campion's upcoming Top of the Lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Soul Glo posted:

Uh how?

I assumed it was her in there, and someone ITT suggests it wasn't

Even if it wasn't it doesn't really matter, no one goes "Psh JEJ only did Vader's voice acting, he's not REALLY in Star Wars."

It was a joke, the gist of which was that it seemed like a total waste to cast "Game of Thrones star Gwendoline Christie!" as Captain Phasma and then give her four lines, five minutes of screentime, and zero face time. The Vader comparison isn't really relevant -- JEJ's voice absolutely sold the character, but can you even remember a single one of Phasma's lines? Would you have even suspected it was her if you hadn't read the casting news? She had about as noticeable a role as Daniel Craig did.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Kit Harington was in the most recent call of duty, doing voice and facial mocap work for the main bad guy, a space russian/arab FURGNER who talks a lot about how he HATES FREEDOM.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Asehujiko posted:

Kit Harington was in the most recent call of duty, doing voice and facial mocap work for the main bad guy, a space russian/arab FURGNER who talks a lot about how he HATES FREEDOM.

Must have been the shortest facial mocap session in history.

"Give us your complete emotional range Kit. Very nice."

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Let's not forget the work he did in the critically acclaimed Silent Hill 2.

He loving earned that 5% RT score god drat it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Must have been the shortest facial mocap session in history.

"Give us your complete emotional range Kit. Very nice."

"Alright Kit good take. Now let's try this one with your mouth closed.."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Phenotype posted:

It was a joke, the gist of which was that it seemed like a total waste to cast "Game of Thrones star Gwendoline Christie!" as Captain Phasma and then give her four lines, five minutes of screentime, and zero face time. The Vader comparison isn't really relevant -- JEJ's voice absolutely sold the character, but can you even remember a single one of Phasma's lines? Would you have even suspected it was her if you hadn't read the casting news? She had about as noticeable a role as Daniel Craig did.

Yes, this is what I was getting at.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Jagermonster posted:

Aaaaaand now there's rumors he's in Avengers Infinity War

He was in that Xmen movie set in the 70s so he must be pretty old now

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

edit: wrong thread.

And Jon Snow's character sucked in the newest CoD.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 13, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Fried Watermelon posted:

He was in that Xmen movie set in the 70s so he must be pretty old now

Um excuse me they are different cinematic univers--(gets stuffed into locker)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Dinklage was great in Living in Oblivion. "Woah, this must be a loving dream, there's a loving dwarf in it!"

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Sammus posted:

edit: wrong thread.

And Jon Snow's character sucked in the newest CoD.

Yeah, he kinda sucked because he was a very lame caricature of an evil bad guy. THAT SAID, CoD Infinite Warfare's campaign loving owned bones.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
It seems to me that it's exceedingly rare for a TV actor to transition to film and remain as successful, or they just stick with TV. Does anybody who knows more about TV/Movie production know why that seems to be the case?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

lifts cats over head posted:

It seems to me that it's exceedingly rare for a TV actor to transition to film and remain as successful, or they just stick with TV. Does anybody who knows more about TV/Movie production know why that seems to be the case?

George Clooney comes to mind.

I'd say generally 'bonafide movie stars' are a pretty rare thing, it's climbing 2-3 steps in the fame ladder so it's completely understandable why it's unlikely and pretty rare for people to make that transition (and why movie stars always find work in TV if they want to)

The GoT leads have actually been given massive chances, it's just that they really kinda suck, pretty faces but not much else. Though I think Terminator:Genisys is getting a sequel so we're not done with Emilia Clarke yet.

Although, look at Ed Skrein, went from having a minor role on GoT to getting prominent movie roles in a couple of years.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Though I think Terminator:Genisys is getting a sequel so we're not done with Emilia Clarke yet.

We're done with Emilia Clarke in Terminator. The rumor is the studio didn't want her in the two planned sequels which they had to release by 2019 because that's when the rights revert back to James Cameron, the studio "indefinitely delayed" the two sequels in mid 2016 and then two months later Clarke said she was no longer under contract to do them.

http://movieweb.com/terminator-genisys-2-pulled-from-release-schedule/
http://movieweb.com/terminator-genisys-sequels-emilia-clarke-sarah-connor/

Links above for source.

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 13, 2017

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Jerome Flynn is one of the legitimaly good actors left in this show, why is nobody casting him on any movies

edit: vvvv yeah, I saw him in black mirror, he was pretty good there too

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 13, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Jerome Flynn is one of the legitimaly good actors left in this show, why is nobody casting him on any movies

He was in an episode of Black Mirror.

The real answer is that he's not Hollywood pretty

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Love Crime posted:

We're done with Emilia Clarke in Terminator. The rumor is the studio didn't want her in the two planned sequels which they had to release by 2019 because that's when the rights revert back to James Cameron, the studio "indefinitely delayed" the two sequels in mid 2016 and then two months later Clarke said she was no longer under contract to do them.

http://movieweb.com/terminator-genisys-2-pulled-from-release-schedule/
http://movieweb.com/terminator-genisys-sequels-emilia-clarke-sarah-connor/

Links above for source.

They had to use body doubles for her for most of the movie, which is an expensive and dumb thing to do when the only real problem is that the actor couldn't make weight and/or train appropriately for stunts.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Youch. Sounds like she sucks as an actress.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The GoT leads have actually been given massive chances, it's just that they really kinda suck, pretty faces but not much else. Though I think Terminator:Genisys is getting a sequel so we're not done with Emilia Clarke yet.

To be fair all their chances have been huge pieces of poo poo on all levels not just acting.

The only one that gets remotely good movies is Cersei

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

banned from Starbucks posted:

To be fair all their chances have been huge pieces of poo poo on all levels not just acting.

The only one that gets remotely good movies is Cersei

The 2012 Dredd remake with her was legit good, whole lot of people skipped it because early trailers made it look dumb but the finished movie was great, everybody should give it a watch.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Also Alfie Allen was in John Wick and that owned.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lena Headey was a movie actor first, anyway.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Propaganda Machine posted:

They had to use body doubles for her for most of the movie, which is an expensive and dumb thing to do when the only real problem is that the actor couldn't make weight and/or train appropriately for stunts.

This is a bad opinion about body doubles

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Zypher posted:

Never heard anything about the body doubles but she definitely skipped the training at the shooting range because she has that hilarious blinking every time she fires a shot in the movie. That's one of the first things actors are normally taught when playing 'badass' roles.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Considering that the show has not boosted Dinklage's career and he's the best actor on the show I think we can safely assume none of the lesser actors are going to come out of this with much more than their millions of dollars and a lifetime of slightly odd and nerdy fans.

Most of these people barely had careers before the show anyway.

For the older actors, it's mostly just another role.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Emilia Clarke probably won't be big in movies, but Me Before You was considered a big hit given its budget.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zypher posted:

Generally they're fine and necessary. In this case it was a lack of professionalism, which is Hollywood poison.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, it's one thing to use a double for big/dangerous stunts or nudity. Using a double because an actor is lazy is pretty poo poo, though.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Body doubles are more ubiquitous than you think. You edited to big/dangerous but they're quite common. Most actors that claim to do their own stunts are bullshitting, and the ones that do are because they're Tom Cruise and they have the clout to overrule the studio safety representative.

Not speaking to Emilia's work ethic - just the initial characterization of lots of body double work on a big action movie being a) unusual b) expensive. Those are the two bad opinions.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Probably just bad/rushed wording since I'm on a phone at work, but I wasn't trying to imply doubles are rare/used only for big things. Hell they can be used for something simple as 'this establishing shot is from behind and we don't need the actor's face'. It was more the implication they overused Clarke's double for little things because she couldn't be arsed committing to the role I find lovely. Whether it's true or not I have no clue, but with how disinterested she seemed throughout the movie I wouldn't be surprised.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to offer the counterpoint that she has nice boobies.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Where are you guys getting this stuff? I was under the impression they decided not to make more of them because the movie didn't meet expectations financially, which is the exact same thing that happened with the previous reboot.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
I linked two sources up above. Here's another: http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/678551-emilia-clarke-terminator-sequels#/slide/1 and another http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/620381-terminator-franchise-not-on-hold-just-re-adjusting#/slide/1

You have to actually read to see she was replaced, there's no bold saying "THIS IS WHERE SHE LOST EVERYTHING". She was signed on to do the 3 movies before the first one even came out, the studio refused to give advanced screening to critics, the moment the movie comes out Clarke is completely eviscerated by critics and viewers and it under performs financially (but still makes enough to qualify as successful) and yet the studio immediately released that they are "re-adjusting for the sequels by listening to what the fans didn't like", i.e. replacing the poo poo actors (Clarke wasn't the only one everybody hated, Jai Courtney was too).

Then a few months later Clarke gives a particularly teenage angsty response when asked if she's still doing the sequels

quote:

"No. Can I say that? It's okay. No. Uh-uh. But I have some very different roles coming up."

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
This has very little to do with Clarke. You are reading too much into it. The movie was not successful, but the producers believe there is money to be made off the intellectual property. In the same article where they talk about 'listening to the fans', they also say "when we talk movies, we talk universes, even more than franchises. So the idea of a Terminator TV show fits into that universe."

This is the simply a failed second reboot of a series whose last truly successful product was released in 1992.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 14, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So what you're saying is it's the LA football teams of movie franchises. No matter how little it makes sense and no matter how little enthusiasm there is for it in the public they're just gonna keep trying it.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Pedro De Heredia posted:

This has very little to do with Clarke. You are reading too much into it. The movie was not successful, but the producers believe there is money to be made off the intellectual property. In the same article where they talk about 'listening to the fans', they also say "when we talk movies, we talk universes, even more than franchises. So the idea of a Terminator TV show fits into that universe."

This is the simply a failed second reboot of a series whose last truly successful product was released in 1992.

Uh, no. If you actually read all 4 links you'd see they were/are very much wanting to make the two sequels which aren't even officially cancelled yet, they're still on hold, and they want to get them done by 2019 before losing the license back to Cameron.

Also saying Genisys "wasn't successful" is dumb. It made a significant amount of money, well over the 20% return most studios look for, and is the second highest grossing Terminator film of all time despite costing much less than T3 and T4. It was not the behemoth Marvel movie gross they were wanting so they were looking for changes, like you know, the main lead actress and co-main male lead not sucking balls.

Next you'll be arguing it wasn't her fault her Broadway play shut down after only a month despite all the critics eviscerating her there as well.

Solice Kirsk posted:

So what you're saying is it's the LA football teams of movie franchises. No matter how little it makes sense and no matter how little enthusiasm there is for it in the public they're just gonna keep trying it.

They aren't keeping it, there is nothing the studio can do to keep the rights (outside of buying it back from Cameron obviously), they are going back to Cameron in 19. The only wriggle room they have was that if they made a TV show before the rights reverted they would've been able to keep that show running even after rights reverted.

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 14, 2017

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Love Crime posted:

The 2012 Dredd remake with her was legit good, whole lot of people skipped it because early trailers made it look dumb but the finished movie was great, everybody should give it a watch.

agreed. Watch Dredd

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Emilia and Kit are both terrible and annoying actors, so I expect (and I hope) they will disappear soon after GoT is over

edit: but still, Emilia was a perfect choice for Dany, who is also a terrible and annoying character

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I think Kit Harrinton's alright. In the first three seasons he didn't have the best material (first season: whining about being a bastard; second season: squinting into the camera because it's so cold + being the most incompetent ranger ever; third season: romance with Ygritte) but from Season 4 onward Jon has gotten a lot better.

• Locked thread