Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Isn't there a ranma fighter thats kusoge but still fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Quiet Feet posted:

On closer inspection, the label is coming apart from the cartridge on top. This is not the first time I've seen this and it seems kinda common in later titles. The sealed copy of Overlord I opened last year had the same problem, and that came out in 1993. Makes you think that there must have been some manufacturing changes at the time, which wouldn't be surprising as the NES was well on its way to wrapping up.

This was also the case with my sealed copy of Wario's Woods, which I bought several years ago. Good to know this is a common issue.

Wario's Woods never really clicked with me, but it's possible I just haven't spent enough time with it. It's better than Yoshi, not as good as Dr. Mario, and would probably be forgotten if it weren't an interesting object for collectors for the reasons you described. I just happened to find it for cheap, and I can't turn down a complete copy of any Nintendo-developed NES title.

My favorite underappreciated NES puzzle game is Spot: The Video Game, which is exactly the microscope game from The 7th Guest as a standalone title. An extremely small percentage of you are probably going to rush out and buy it now.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Smoking Crow posted:

Isn't there a ranma fighter thats kusoge but still fun

There's a few on the PC Engine, the Super CDROM2 fighting game is pretty okay with unique battles/mechanics for every stage. The regular CDROM2 games are a janky as poo poo action game that sucks and a visual novel I haven't played.

This is the okay one:

This one is awful garbage:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Rollersnake posted:

This was also the case with my sealed copy of Wario's Woods, which I bought several years ago. Good to know this is a common issue.

Wario's Woods never really clicked with me, but it's possible I just haven't spent enough time with it. It's better than Yoshi, not as good as Dr. Mario, and would probably be forgotten if it weren't an interesting object for collectors for the reasons you described. I just happened to find it for cheap, and I can't turn down a complete copy of any Nintendo-developed NES title.

My favorite underappreciated NES puzzle game is Spot: The Video Game, which is exactly the microscope game from The 7th Guest as a standalone title. An extremely small percentage of you are probably going to rush out and buy it now.

I liked it better than any of the other Nintendo puzzle games but have to admit its been a while since I've played Yoshi or Yoshi's Cookie.

Isn't Spot just Othello? I had a cart for a little while but honestly got bored with it pretty quickly.

HMC
May 18, 2009

I love Wario's Woods for how weird it is. For an action puzzler it has a bizarrely steep learning curve because of how many maneuvers you can perform. Something about this opaqueness seems fittingly "Wario". Also, it has a weird cast of one-off characters (The first boss in the SNES version is just Tatanga from Mario Land dressed as a magician).

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Quiet Feet posted:

Isn't Spot just Othello? I had a cart for a little while but honestly got bored with it pretty quickly.

It's not quite Othello/Reversi. I haven't played any of these recently enough that I can recall the precise differences, but it's fun. Or at least it's a game you learn to love through attrition during the course of playing The 7th Guest.

And I do mean it's exactly the same game—originally called Infection, and also released in the arcade as Ataxx. Wikipedia has a brief history of it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ataxx

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 12, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

Or at least it's a game you learn to love through attrition during the course of playing The 7th Guest.

This puzzle is actually interestingly bugged in the game, the A.I. systematically goes through the list of available moves it has in 1 second, and then picks the best move from that list. So the slower your CPU, the less moves it can process in that 1 second, and the easier the CPU is. On higher-end systems, especially anything after like the mid-90's, CPU's are fast enough to process every possible move, and the A.I. more or less plays perfectly, where it's only maybe-beatable if you feed it a perfect moveset yourself.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
At least it's not Street Combat.

What is kinda-sorta a Ranma game.

And also loving terrible.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
So I wrote a whole big thing about the company behind the upcoming Windjammers PS4 port and I figure at least a couple of you here would probably be interested in it. http://coolgreat.website/post/155770371870/why-dotemu-has-me-worried-about-windjammers-on-the

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Kid Fenris posted:

So it's all set to run Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer or Ragnagard.

This is from pages ago but god drat it I laughed

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

the iphone port of r-type by dotemu is one of the worst things I've ever seen

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
Does anyone here own a Dreamcast USB-GDROM? Good, bad, better alternative?

http://3do-renovation.ru/USB-GDROM_Controller.htm

After 4 bad discs in row yesterday I'm getting tired of burning games. I'm thinking about buying one, but would like to hear any first hand opinions on it. It looks better than the GD-EMU in my eyes, but the ordering system seems a little sketchy. I'm sure it's fine though.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

beaver_cheese posted:

After 4 bad discs in row yesterday I'm getting tired of burning games. I'm thinking about buying one, but would like to hear any first hand opinions on it. It looks better than the GD-EMU in my eyes, but the ordering system seems a little sketchy. I'm sure it's fine though.

EDIT: Ignore this, it's been a long day and I didn't look at the linked page close enough. I've got the GDEMU, the "old" USB one.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

beaver_cheese posted:

You'll be waiting a long time due to the sketchy ordering system, at least as of a year-ish ago. Stone Age Gamer carried them briefly but apparently the guy who makes them was super-hard to work with and unreasonable so they no longer do.

The device itself works well once you get one, though, and is super-easy to install. The only weird bit is that, ideally, you have to desolder the "disc lid is open" mechanism from your actual GDROM board and solder it onto the USB-GDROM, as this is what will control disc switching for multi-disc games. You can opt against it for every game except for D2, which doesn't offer a chance to save at the swap points while every other multi-disc game does.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

pre:
It has been
⓪
days since RZA Encryption bought a Game Boy
Just paid $38 shipped for a pink AGS-101.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Instant Sunrise posted:

At least it's not Street Combat.

What is kinda-sorta a Ranma game.

And also loving terrible.

:sbahj: I remember that crappy game. It wasn't till later I found out how it was an extremely localized version of Ranma 1/2. Then Hard Battle was translated and was ~better~ I guess. It was more of a "Wow, anime fight game!" which was rare at the time. Still really clunky but I have a soft spot for it :nyoron:

Edit: Here's a Hardcoregaming101 article on the games:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ranma/ranma2.htm

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 12, 2017

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I also like Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle. It's not great, but it's not terrible.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

univbee posted:

You'll be waiting a long time due to the sketchy ordering system, at least as of a year-ish ago. Stone Age Gamer carried them briefly but apparently the guy who makes them was super-hard to work with and unreasonable so they no longer do.

The device itself works well once you get one, though, and is super-easy to install. The only weird bit is that, ideally, you have to desolder the "disc lid is open" mechanism from your actual GDROM board and solder it onto the USB-GDROM, as this is what will control disc switching for multi-disc games. You can opt against it for every game except for D2, which doesn't offer a chance to save at the swap points while every other multi-disc game does.

http://3do-renovation.ru/comparation.htm

Considering the comparison he makes to GDEMU this is not a shocker.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Caitlin posted:

I also like Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle. It's not great, but it's not terrible.

:same:

I had a copy many years ago and liked it, even if it wasn't a top-tier fighting game. Didn't learn about the anime until a long while later. It's sure as hell miles ahead of Street Combat in any case. :barf:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

http://3do-renovation.ru/comparation.htm

Considering the comparison he makes to GDEMU this is not a shocker.

ahahaha
pre:
Design         |         excellent         |         bad

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

RZA Encryption posted:

ahahaha
pre:
Design         |         excellent         |         bad
pre:
Price	|	Good device cost good money	|	Oh, it's cheaper.
	|					|	Buy that cheap and ugly device.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

absolutely anything posted:

So I wrote a whole big thing about the company behind the upcoming Windjammers PS4 port and I figure at least a couple of you here would probably be interested in it. http://coolgreat.website/post/155770371870/why-dotemu-has-me-worried-about-windjammers-on-the

This was very good.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

absolutely anything posted:

It really makes you wonder just how incompetent you can be and still run a (presumably) profitable business. Your article really explains why the Giant Bomb guys had such a muted response to the announcement.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Charles Get-Out posted:

There's a few on the PC Engine, the Super CDROM2 fighting game is pretty okay with unique battles/mechanics for every stage. The regular CDROM2 games are a janky as poo poo action game that sucks and a visual novel I haven't played.

This is the okay one:

This one is awful garbage:

I got drunk and bought these off of eBay like two or three years ago, I don't even own a PCE CD

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Social Dissonance posted:

It really makes you wonder just how incompetent you can be and still run a (presumably) profitable business. Your article really explains why the Giant Bomb guys had such a muted response to the announcement.

It doesn't explain why they, if noone else, won't be honest about the mediocrity of DotEmu's emulation, at least not in a forward-facing way.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Hooray I'm not alone in feeling meh about Hard Battle. Part of the problem is I detest Ranma 1/2 the show/manga yet love the poo poo out of Urusei Yatsura. Of course most games based on that anime are visual novels/point and click/text heavy. At least the Inuyasha fighting game on PS1 feels nicer to play though it's just as mediocre.

Chiming in with more love for Wario's Woods, I went and got the SNES version of it because it's cheaper and is prettier graphically. Music isn't quite as catchy though. Definitely one of my favorite variations on matching falling objects for sure. Good show this year on breaking the seals Quiet Feet.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Chiming in with more love for Wario's Woods, I went and got the SNES version of it because it's cheaper and is prettier graphically. Music isn't quite as catchy though. Definitely one of my favorite variations on matching falling objects for sure. Good show this year on breaking the seals Quiet Feet.

FWIW, Wario's Woods is currently on sale for the 3DS in Nintendo's e-shop. Can't say I'd really go for it myself, though.

And Ranma has the problem of being in the first wave of Street Fighter 2 clones. It can go on the pile right next to World Heroes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just ordered a SD2SNES from GamerSection. Picked the "universal" cart which I hope is just a modified SFC cart. I don't really want to have to hack it into a good looking package :|

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Picked the "universal" cart which I hope is just a modified SFC cart.

It is; it's a custom-made SFC shell which has the grooves so it'll go into a North American SNES. Could be a slightly tight fit, but it works.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

univbee posted:

It is; it's a custom-made SFC shell which has the grooves so it'll go into a North American SNES. Could be a slightly tight fit, but it works.

Sorry I should have mentioned I have an SFC so this is perfect for me. Was just hoping it wasn't some unholy marriage of a SNES and SFC cart that didn't look like either :)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
It should look pretty much exactly like the ones on Krikzz' site

https://krikzz.com/store/home/27-sd2snes.html

My Super Everdive did at least.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

falz posted:

It should look pretty much exactly like the ones on Krikzz' site

https://krikzz.com/store/home/27-sd2snes.html

My Super Everdive did at least.

This is exactly what it should look like, mine is gray though.

It's a Super Famicom cart with the grooves added to fit in a SNES just as well. Looks fine in my SNES, but I'm betting it'll actually look better in a SF due to the curves and fitting more snug.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Hey guys pulled out an Xbox Duke controller and the cord has gone all sticky.. what can I do to remove that?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Have you tried the old standby of rubbing alcohol on a folded paper towel?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The_Frag_Man posted:

Hey guys pulled out an Xbox Duke controller and the cord has gone all sticky.. what can I do to remove that?

I used some windex on some paper towels on mine.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

fishmech posted:

I used some windex on some paper towels on mine.

I'll try this, thanks!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
poo poo, how have I arrived to a point where if I need yet another, portable version of Wario's Woods is a consideration. Even though I got the Animal Crossing port and my getting the SNES one was born out of a desire to get back into that system with a bang.

On the upside I finally solved my DS storage problem, except that I don't have enough room for my 3DS games on the same rack. Usually people latch on to the first console they had as a kid as their favorite, which means I should be way into GBA, but clearly the DS is my favorite. I remember being impressed that the cartridges were the size of a postage stamp when I first saw them.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

The_Frag_Man posted:

I'll try this, thanks!

The window cleaner seems to have done the job.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My NES has the lockout chip clipped, and I got a copy of Quattro Sports that makes the screen shimmy in a weird way when I try to play it. (I could attempt to get video of this if it would help) Internet says this cart uses CIC stun, could that be causing the video issues? Is there a way to disable the stun? I do not know what the different positions on the slider on the cart do but I know only Position A works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
So I have some RGB and Sync questions. I use a Sony PC-1270 switcher (http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/sony-pc1270.pdf) as my switchbox, but currently only for Composite and Svideo. it works great. It has 3 RGB modules that I'm not currently using but would like to for convenience more than anything.

The only item I'm using RGB on currently is a Duo which I had Monitor Burn mod. It appears to have an 8 pin DIN connector to output signal, but I have zero clue how sync works with that. Its converted to component using one of those SPECIALTY-AV boxes (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XSSDPO/). This currently goes right to TV's Component input.

Here's my plan to put * via switcher:

Here's what the inputs look like on the switchbox. It looks like it can do Sync on Green, which doesn't seem like is used in retro land from what I can tell. It also has a dedicated Sync BNC connector.

Trying to figure out what cables I need. To do so I need to figure out how Sync works.

Questions:

Does anyone know if you think I would have to connect Sync on this thing? I would assume it would just pass through whatever it gets directly so however it connects in it should also connect out, but dunno.

Monitor Burn: How is sync working on that Duo mod? I cannot find the answer as to how it works on that SPECIALTY-AV box either.

I just need one cable to make this work as I already have Genesis/Duo/SNES SCART cables, that would be BNC from Switcher to Scart input (male on cable) but I have no clue which one to get or if it needs to deal with sync or stripping or whatever.

I think this may work, but it has the extra BNC connector (black) which I don't know if that's good or bad: http://www.ebay.com/itm//201756644469

• Locked thread