Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Faerie Fortune posted:

So I'm pretty sure my girlfriend found either a bug or the worst possible room on stream because holy poo poo I've never seen this before what even is this bullshit

Edmund: :tif:

An excellent example of Good Game Design™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Your Computer posted:

That looks way more like a bug then malicious game balance. The leapers are spawning flies after a jump attack, which isn't something they do normally, nor do they have an altered pallet to suggest a champion variant that would do something different.

Random guess is some particle effect they're supposed to produce when they land got replaced with a fly.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jamesman posted:

This Ultra Hard challenge is the most unfun thing I've experienced in BoI so far. Someone tell me there is a way to cheese it so I can be done with this dumb bullshit.
Placenta still gives regen. Which means it degenerates into resetting for Placenta, then standing in cleared rooms for literally minutes on end every time you get hurt.

That's how I did it, at least. Other ways include anything that absorbs hits Holy Mantle style or the old standby Epic Fetus-level ridiculous items.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

RatHat posted:

Hard mode isn't that bad really. It makes hearts drop less, curses more frequent, and champions more frequent. Since some unlocks are tied to Hard mode I suggest just always using it for your runs.

The Ultra Hard challenge is loving bullshit though.

Until you finish the unlocks, anyway. I always play normal mode now because it's just less of a hassle and fewer curses.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I really wish they'd make the Hard Mode actually different from normal instead of just ramping up the tediousness. More champions and more curses is the lamest way to increase difficulty ever, and it would be a perfect opportunity to put the more difficult enemy/floor/boss variants in there

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, I really wish they'd make the Hard Mode actually different from normal instead of just ramping up the tediousness. More champions and more curses is the lamest way to increase difficulty ever, and it would be a perfect opportunity to put the more difficult enemy/floor/boss variants in there

I think there actually are some new rooms that are exclusive to hard mode, but they're few in number. Overall those take actual effort to implement, unlike the current setup

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

That looks way more like a bug then malicious game balance. The leapers are spawning flies after a jump attack, which isn't something they do normally, nor do they have an altered pallet to suggest a champion variant that would do something different.

Random guess is some particle effect they're supposed to produce when they land got replaced with a fly.

There actually is an enemy variant that spawns flies like that with no visual difference. I'm guessing the Leapers spawned with that and are somehow bugged to fill the room instead of the handful of flies I've seen others generate.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Greedier Mode didn't feel that difficult with Judas. You can keep up with the waves, so beating the mode was mainly just a matter of learning Ultra Greedier's pattern (which took 3 tries). My winning run was very good but I didn't have to break the game or anything.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Your Computer posted:

This is the kind of silly broken poo poo that makes the game entertaining. If you don't think that room is funny I think maybe you're extremely jaded after playing a game for hundreds of hours

Go look at your last 40+ posts in this thread, almost every single one that isn't about Antibirth is a complaint. Just stop playing (and posting)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think I've ever seen anyone report that bug before. Could it be related to a mod or something?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone report that bug before. Could it be related to a mod or something?

they very clearly state in the video that they dont have any mods installed, but this could also be a false flag operation

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

they very clearly state in the video that they dont have any mods installed, but this could also be a false flag operation

LEAPER vomit

catch him in BED with a leaper

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Afterbirth Plus is pretty cool. I broke down and played a few games after waiting until the initial couple of patches were done and I like the new enemies. The portals are pretty awesome now, they give more variety to rooms since different things can pop out. Sometimes they just spit out a fly and disappear and that's funny.

I did the boss rush during the pong challenge, chose Cancer because I thought it was Libra since I'm a little rusty. Was disappointed. Then got Libra after the Boss Rush and was happy with my huge stream of piercing bullets that filled up the whole room. Then I fought Hush not realizing I needed to go to the Dark Room, but it was still fun.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

This is the kind of silly broken poo poo that makes the game entertaining. If you don't think that room is funny I think maybe you're extremely jaded after playing a game for hundreds of hours

Go look at your last 40+ posts in this thread, almost every single one that isn't about Antibirth is a complaint. Just stop playing (and posting)

Weirdness of digging in post history aside, surely you don't think this thread is just for posting positive things right? I enjoy(ed?) the game immensively so when they make a really lovely update then I obviously care about it :shobon: I want the game to be good, after all.

Also I think that glitch (and yes, of course it's a glitch) is hilarious which is why I posted a funny emote. You have to agree it's very BoI to implement a feature and not consider the consequences.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
had a good greedier run going as judas, got to the surprise final boss for the first time since the expansion came out, groaned, whittled it down, then it glitched out standing in place for like 15 seconds while i shot it, then suddenly the room exploded in giant explosive coins and i died. awesome

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Probably some obscure item combination causing the bug.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
I had what I assume is a bug: every time I entered a room it would spawn 5-10 half hearts around the door I entered from. If I kept exiting and entering the room the whole place would fill with hearts. Dunno if it's somehow related to that weird fly spawning glitch, like when x happens, spawn several y.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Could be a weird side effect of some new item I guess

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Faerie Fortune posted:

So I'm pretty sure my girlfriend found either a bug or the worst possible room on stream because holy poo poo I've never seen this before what even is this bullshit
Wonder if that could be reproduced from the seed at the end of the clip.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
I have awful luck. Got the D20 to try and break a greed run.

Not a single battery dropped ever. No battery items no shop batteries nothing.

All those keys sure were useful.

Also what is wrong with me. I usually play on ps4 so that's where all my progress is, but I've been playing on pc for Afterbirth+. Apparently I have over 600 coins in greeds donation machine just from Lilith. I hate myself I think.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

the popular kids posted:

I have awful luck. Got the D20 to try and break a greed run.

Not a single battery dropped ever. No battery items no shop batteries nothing.

All those keys sure were useful.

Also what is wrong with me. I usually play on ps4 so that's where all my progress is, but I've been playing on pc for Afterbirth+. Apparently I have over 600 coins in greeds donation machine just from Lilith. I hate myself I think.

I got Chaos, Godhead, and literally nothing but HP ups for the rest of my Greedier mode run. Finally restarted at the Shop floor.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Now that we can accurately see our stats it's apparent that Libra is REALLY good.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Funny because seeing stats makes me less likely to pick up Libra, after seeing a damage increase item give me like 0.3 more damage.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

RatHat posted:

Now that we can accurately see our stats it's apparent that Libra is REALLY good.

Libra's only really good if you have an item that skyrockets one stat and dumpsters another: Soy Milk, Polyphemus, Eve's Mascara.

Outside of that, it's kind of meh aside from a free six coins/bombs/keys. It does help by turning all of the Speed Up items into slight damage boosts, which is handy because there's way too many items that boost speed/range.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

Libra's only really good if you have an item that skyrockets one stat and dumpsters another: Soy Milk, Polyphemus, Eve's Mascara.

Outside of that, it's kind of meh aside from a free six coins/bombs/keys. It does help by turning all of the Speed Up items into slight damage boosts, which is handy because there's way too many items that boost speed/range.

Yeah but if you get Libra with one of those three items it's game over, you're a god.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Libra is crazy pants if you get one of those items. By itself, it's just kinda okay. I don't think anyone would say Soy Milk/Eve's Mascara are amazing items because they're actually pretty mediocre without something else boosting them.

We're splitting hairs, though. Most items are fun, pick them up, shoot weird things and die horribly to Edmund's lovely design. :coolfish:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Libra is balanced. The idea behind it is that if you take it, it stops your run from getting either too bad or too good. You take it to make a bad run better, but there are some items it has neat interactions with besides just Soy Milk. Multi-shot items do great with it. Normally, triple and quad shot have a multiplier halves your fire rate, but with Libra, you just get a mild all stats down while keeping a relatively normal fire rate, which translates into a large damage increase overall. Also, some stats can't be capped, and thus are worth more than others. Range increases are primo with Libra. Tape Worm goes from C-tier to practically A-tier.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'd say the tear movement changing trinkets are more Z-tier.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

RatHat posted:

I'd say the tear movement changing trinkets are more Z-tier.

Tape Worm/Whip Worm are generally useful if you don't have anything better, Lazy Worm can be useful for Tech X since the laser damage goes up the longer the enemy touches the beam (so a smaller, slower laser ring deals the most damage overall).

Anything that changes the pattern, like Hook Worm/Wiggle Worm is loving worthless.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh right I forgot about Whip worm. That one is alright.

Speaking of trinkets the new Locusts that Apollyon unlocks are pretty good. Gotta be careful with the orange one though, since that tends to blow up in your face.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
It is very telling that many major streamers and youtubers are going back to Antibirth.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hey everyone I did mega satan and finally beat delerium on the same run

i ditched void for shoop da woop right away then got fruitcake and all the flies to the point i transformed into a fly

also relevant: did you know the I'm Drowsy pill works on delerium and makes all of his forms and all his bullets super slow lol

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I'm not sure if it's only in Antibirth, but Brain Worm is great.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I'd just like to say that sometimes the game's balance is pretty okay.

Not shown is Cricket's Body and Magic Shroom.

Mons Hubris posted:

I'm not sure if it's only in Antibirth, but Brain Worm is great.

All the fun of homing without those pesky curves!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Placenta still gives regen. Which means it degenerates into resetting for Placenta, then standing in cleared rooms for literally minutes on end every time you get hurt.

That's how I did it, at least. Other ways include anything that absorbs hits Holy Mantle style or the old standby Epic Fetus-level ridiculous items.

Placenta didn't appear to work in cleared rooms. Maybe I just was just really unlucky, but it seemed like it only actively checked/refreshed when enemies were in a room. Will have to try again.

My biggest problem is when I get to the second floor boss rooms, and they just loving bombard you. No, I am not loving ready to fight a champion Rag Man and 2 Rag Megas AT THE SAME TIME with my base damage you shithead of a developer.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jamesman posted:

Placenta didn't appear to work in cleared rooms. Maybe I just was just really unlucky, but it seemed like it only actively checked/refreshed when enemies were in a room. Will have to try again.
It does work. It's just a percentage chance... to gain half a heart... every minute :shepicide:

(Has Edmund implied he'd ever consider changing Victory Lap mechanics? Turning into The Lost without Holy Mantle is just loving stupid and there's an achievement locked behind clearing the first of those laps.)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Can you get an entrance to the void before Mom on a victory lap?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
If there's any time you should be able to win as old school Lost, it's when you start with most of the items from two consecutive previous runthroughs of the game.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It does work. It's just a percentage chance... to gain half a heart... every minute :shepicide:

I know. It's just I would clear a room and sit there for almost ten minutes, and it would only trigger once. But if I was in an active room, it would trigger multiple times. Could just have been my luck.

Regardless, I'm just having a poo poo time getting a good balance between damage and health. I either can get a bunch of health but no damage, or I get passable damage but no health. All I really want to do is be able to fly off into a corner where enemies can't touch me and fire off laser rings but I guess that's too much to ask for. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Spergatory posted:

If there's any time you should be able to win as old school Lost, it's when you start with most of the items from two consecutive previous runthroughs of the game.

Only if you've got enough damage dealing items to kill things before they can get a chance to attack you, which is not possible in many situations in this videogame.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ - Just Good Game Design(TM)