Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

1redflag posted:

Just a heads up that hot water from a K-cup machine tastes like coffee. So if your plan is to use the hot water for anything other than making coffee, you might want to adjust your plans.

-Someone who drinks tea but not coffee

We drink Tea and Coffee now using water from the original K-Cup machine and haven't noticed any crazy coffee taste. The Hamilton Beach would create hot water from the carafe side so hopefully any coffee taste is captured by the Paper Filter.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Need some recommendations for some mens mid-weight long underwear. Looking to spend less than $15 a pair.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Chip McFuck posted:

Need some recommendations for some mens mid-weight long underwear. Looking to spend less than $15 a pair.

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-heattech-tights-172761.html

These rule

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

m.hache posted:

I have an aero press. I use the Keurig to make the hot water for it but sometimes I'm in a rush and want to throw in a k-cup.

possibly more fiddly than you want, but:

- this or something similar (I use a chemex but obviously that's larger than you'd want); plus

- this or something similar (bonavita makes a nice electric gooseneck);

would make you some reasonably quick and v good coffee

Red Dad Redemption has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Jan 9, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Annual Prophet posted:

possibly more fiddly than you want, but:

- this or something similar (I use a chemex but obviously that's larger than you'd want); plus

- this or something similar (bonavita makes a nice electric gooseneck);

would make you some reasonably quick and v good coffee

If you're going to spend $40 on a kettle go to Target (assuming you're in the US) and pick up an Oster adjustable electric kettle.

Water temperature can be adjusted in 10 degree increments from 110 - boiling. Works great for us, my wife makes tea that requires lower temperature water frequently and I prefer sub-boiling water (200 F) when I make coffee in my French press.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

13Pandora13 posted:

I've had great luck with Musher's Scecret on my dachshunds (who refuse to walk in booties).

Seconding this stuff. It is pretty cheap and amazing.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I need gloves that are warm, waterproof, and hopefully not too big.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Two requests

1- A slim tower fan for preferably under 100 dollars. It will be used in a 8'x11' room with little ventilation, electronics humming away contributing heat, and no vent for air conditioning, but in an otherwise air conditioned house so it's just a little hotter than the rest of the house and gets kinda stale.

2- Do they make some kind of like a dog food condiment that I can just squirt onto dry dog food to make my dog eat it instead of having to mix in wet food?

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I don't know much about fans but cat poop would do nicely on the second request.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

You ain't lyin

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

signalnoise posted:

1- A slim tower fan for preferably under 100 dollars. It will be used in a 8'x11' room with little ventilation, electronics humming away contributing heat, and no vent for air conditioning, but in an otherwise air conditioned house so it's just a little hotter than the rest of the house and gets kinda stale.

Wirecutter/Sweethome's recommendation has been great, it's lowest setting is extremely quiet and perfect for when you just need a bit of air circulation. It's pricier than the cheap equivalents you can grab at CVS or Walmart for like $20 but I think it's worth it. http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-fan/

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

THF13 posted:

Wirecutter/Sweethome's recommendation has been great, it's lowest setting is extremely quiet and perfect for when you just need a bit of air circulation. It's pricier than the cheap equivalents you can grab at CVS or Walmart for like $20 but I think it's worth it. http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-fan/

Hah! Amazing, if you wanna get a combo of a 17" fan along with the 40" fan it's $1.39 more. Ok, you twisted my arm

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

signalnoise posted:

Two requests

2- Do they make some kind of like a dog food condiment that I can just squirt onto dry dog food to make my dog eat it instead of having to mix in wet food?

I used Etta Says Liver Sprinkles for my picky eater dog and put water over the kibble and she was into it. I've also just out canned pumpkin on the food and mixed it in before and that's good for them.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

Reduce some salt free beef or chicken stock? Kinda pricey if you don't make your own though.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
To get a dog eating mix in a little human food. Any of the following: carrots, celery, broccoli, a little white rice, a dribble of honey.

Comatoast has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Jan 12, 2017

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Have you tried adding plain water? For whatever reason, my dog will immediately start eating dry dog food if I add some water to it.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
My folks use chicken/beef broth for their dogs.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

signalnoise posted:

There is a product called Petchup that exists. Seems popular, though I haven't tried it.

Eponine posted:

I used Etta Says Liver Sprinkles for my picky eater dog and put water over the kibble and she was into it. I've also just out canned pumpkin on the food and mixed it in before and that's good for them.

I've used the liver sprinkles, though, and my dog is into that. I don't really bother adding water, but maybe I'll try it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

.Z. posted:

Have you tried adding plain water? For whatever reason, my dog will immediately start eating dry dog food if I add some water to it.

Give this a try first, my childhood dog was the same

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Dogs: will eat garbage off of the floor and/or dead pigeons on the sidewalk, refuses to eat the $3/lb "four star gourmet" dog food that we buy unless I douse it in water and hide it so she has to find it in a new place every day.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah, we buy grain free and have spent thousands on repairing my dog's leg, he prefers the taste of his paws having peed on them himself, and also cat poo poo. :psyduck:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I suspect that we as humans bred dogs to be dumb as poo poo so we could feel better about our own idiocy.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Nm

Kirk Vikernes has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Jan 19, 2017

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I finally saw someone about my persistent foot problems and I was admonished for wearing unsupportive shoes. So besides going to an orthopedic doctor next month, I need to find decent shoes that won't aggravate a stress fracture in my foot. The problem is that I have very high arches and extremely tiny feet (Euro 36, US women's 6-6.5, US men's 4.5-5). I also work in a casual work environment and don't want to wear running shoes to work. Normal width is fine, I just don't want to be stuck wearing grandma shoes for the rest of my life.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Eponine posted:

I finally saw someone about my persistent foot problems and I was admonished for wearing unsupportive shoes. So besides going to an orthopedic doctor next month, I need to find decent shoes that won't aggravate a stress fracture in my foot. The problem is that I have very high arches and extremely tiny feet (Euro 36, US women's 6-6.5, US men's 4.5-5). I also work in a casual work environment and don't want to wear running shoes to work. Normal width is fine, I just don't want to be stuck wearing grandma shoes for the rest of my life.

This is what orthotics are for, unfortunately they're like 200-300 dollars

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ That is correct, and they're really the only way to properly support your feet. Don't bother with the ones you can get at Wal-Mart. Get them sized by the doctor and made by whatever lab the doctor's practice uses. I did that 8 years ago and it really was life-changing.

Wearing orthotics may also change what shoes you buy, both in size and style. Some people actually have to go up half a size (I didn't, but YMMV), so I wouldn't buy anything new until you get the inserts so you can try shoes with them.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Eponine posted:

https://jet.com/product/detail/5927...CFd1XDQodFEgPnw

I like these. I'm a guy with ridiculously high arches and basically ballerina feet. These inserts really help with supporting my arches.

I have a very active lifestyle that includes hiking, carpentry, outdoor work; etc... you won't regret them.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Superfeet are great. Definitely give them a try before dropping the money on custom inserts

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Thanks, all! I'd hope custom inserts would be covered by insurance in some capacity, but I'll definitely be checking out the Greenfeet ones. I really love shoes and having to give them up was really depressing yesterday.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Aren't many orthopedic problems caused because of reliance on arch support, which causes a feedback loop? Something about it weakens the structure of the foot and malforms the impact points of the stride.

I've worn thin, flat shoes for years and never had any foot or joint-related issue. Including marathon runs, hiking, etc. I walk around 5 miles a day just in general movement and never had any "arch support" or other orthopedic wizardry they sell in shoes now.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Aren't many orthopedic problems caused because of reliance on arch support, which causes a feedback loop? Something about it weakens the structure of the foot and malforms the impact points of the stride.

I've worn thin, flat shoes for years and never had any foot or joint-related issue. Including marathon runs, hiking, etc. I walk around 5 miles a day just in general movement and never had any "arch support" or other orthopedic wizardry they sell in shoes now.

Uhhh what kind of feet you got there boss? Not everyone has the same arches / stride / build.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The point I make is that by "supporting" the arch, it weakens the muscles and underlying structure, which amplifies the number of injuries or other problems people get. Conversely, using less support forces the muscles to work and strengthens the muscles in your feet. This is at least what the data I could find suggests. Though it specifically deals with running, I'd assume there exist similarities with other foot movements.

"These results suggest that endurance running in minimal support footwear with 4 mm offset or less makes greater use of the spring-like function of the longitudinal arch, thus leading to greater demands on the intrinsic muscles that support the arch, thereby strengthening the foot."

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2095254614000374

Anecdotal, but with pictures: http://www.drnicksrunningblog.com/two-year-long-case-study-demonstrating-an-increase-in-arch-height-from-running-in-minimalist-shoes/

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
It might, but ankle/foot pronation varies hugely person by person, as does the strength of your ligaments, fascia, etc. Add to that any underlying issues, and it really is something that you need to have diagnosed by a doctor. In my case, I have a small bone outgrowth that sits directly below a ligament and rubs against it when I walk -- no amount of strength training will make that go away. It's either orthotics or surgery.

Anecdotal as well, but: prior to custom orthotics I had on-and-off ankle pain for years. After getting fitted (leaving an imprint in some kind of blue foam or getting my foot wrapped in plaster) and wearing them in my dress shoes, it took about a month for the pain to completely disappear. Once I got a full-length pair of inserts for sneakers I was actually able to start running again. I know I sound like an infomercial, but I'm not exaggerating one bit about how helpful the customs were to me.

And for the record, you absolutely don't have to wear grandma/pa shoes. That's the beauty of the inserts -- all the corrective work is inside the shoe. You're just, unfortunately, on the hook for about $300 every few years. I'd honestly pay way more if need be.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

What is the website for buying glasses online that goes around goon recommendations again? Lost the bookmark.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Zennioptical.com is what i've used for years

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

PRADA SLUT posted:

The point I make is that by "supporting" the arch, it weakens the muscles and underlying structure, which amplifies the number of injuries or other problems people get. Conversely, using less support forces the muscles to work and strengthens the muscles in your feet. This is at least what the data I could find suggests. Though it specifically deals with running, I'd assume there exist similarities with other foot movements.

"These results suggest that endurance running in minimal support footwear with 4 mm offset or less makes greater use of the spring-like function of the longitudinal arch, thus leading to greater demands on the intrinsic muscles that support the arch, thereby strengthening the foot."

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2095254614000374

Anecdotal, but with pictures: http://www.drnicksrunningblog.com/two-year-long-case-study-demonstrating-an-increase-in-arch-height-from-running-in-minimalist-shoes/

The reason I'm in this predicament is because I have a torn meniscus in the same leg that has changed my gait significantly and caused the pain. I'd have to get knee surgery to fix my meniscus, so even after inserts, I'm on the hook for a lot of physical therapy to get back to a place where I can hopefully walk normally again.

Rugby, not even once every day.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Whats a good desk chair for sitting at my home pc that will last ages and not be too expensive?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Jose posted:

Whats a good desk chair for sitting at my home pc that will last ages and not be too expensive?

Define expensive. Really, the Ikea Markus is generally your entry level not-suck-rear end computer chair that you can get.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Jose posted:

What is "too expensive"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I guess between the £130 Markus and £300 although i'd definitely prefer closer to the £130