Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nail Rat posted:

The Browns won't be bad forever, but it does seem like that right now

People once said that about the Lions

And they were goddamn right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
even if they ever do move back, as long as a spanos owns the team, i will never root for them. things will never be the same

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MikeCrotch posted:

People once said that about the Lions

And they were goddamn right

they weren't about the raiders

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i like the logo

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In 2018, The LA Metro area will have 2 major teams in every major sport category:

MLB: Dodgers, Angels
NFL: Chargers, Rams
NBA: Lakers, Clippers
NHL: Kings, Ducks
MLS: Galaxy, LA Football Club (2018)
NCAA: UCLA, USC

I get they're the 2nd biggest market in the US but dang that's a lot of sports.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 12, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
It's hard to believe the Browns were once one of the premier teams in the NFL, even if they didn't win a Superbowl

Think about how long the Browns have been just god awful... their franchise record didn't drop below .500 until late last season

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DreKirkSWAG/status/819596681813651457

Maybe this is all a clever attempt to root out all the Fake Fans

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

seiferguy posted:

In 2018, The LA Metro area will have 2 major teams in every major sport category:

MLB: Dodgers, Angels
NFL: Chargers, Rams
NBA: Lakers, Clippers
MLS: Galaxy, LA Football Club (2018)
NCAA: UCLA, USC

I get they're the 2nd biggest market in the US but dang that's a lot of sports.

NHL bro

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The whole "fans didn't try hard enough" when it comes to billionaires playing around at whims with their money really annoys me and is a pretty bad form of victim blaming.

Oof, yeah. I remembered the Kings and Ducks but didn't write them down for some reason :v:

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Komet posted:

That stadium has literally only twice the seating capacity as major Texas high schools

There are some school stadiums that hit 20,000, so more like 1-and-a-half times. (I say this only to add to the hilarity)

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

also several colleges around LA are competitive in certain sports, like CSUF and UCI frequently competing for and sometimes winning baseball championships

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Major sport

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

chupacabraTERROR posted:

also several colleges around LA are competitive in certain sports, like CSUF and UCI frequently competing for and sometimes winning baseball championships

Let's be honest though... do people really care about college baseball championships?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Isn't the field going to be far away from the stands since a soccer field is much wider than an NFL field?

you aren't including the sidelines.

university of phoenix stadium size of the entire roll-out field: 403' x 234'

stubhub center field size: 360' x 225'

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

Intruder posted:

I hope Rivers retires immediately after the draft

Intruder posted:

Actually no, immediately after the third preseason game instead

I want this so badly like a last Rivers to Gates because I'm going to feel guilty hoping he tears an ACL

Only time I had season tickets in my life: team went 1-15. I missed the win against the Chiefs.

gently caress Spanos.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Calling the MLS a major sport over the NHL is nuts no matter what your impression of either is. :colbert:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

seiferguy posted:

The whole "fans didn't try hard enough" when it comes to billionaires playing around at whims with their money really annoys me and is a pretty bad form of victim blaming.

Oof, yeah. I remembered the Kings and Ducks but didn't write them down for some reason :v:

unlike the angels the ducks don't try to brand themselves an la team

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Let's be honest though... do people really care about college baseball championships?

I do yes. I went to a ton of games at UCLA, and the experience is awesome. Cheap tickets, cheap food, chill atmosphere, unlikely to get shanked unlike a dodger game

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

hifi posted:

you aren't including the sidelines.

university of phoenix stadium size of the entire roll-out field: 403' x 234'

stubhub center field size: 360' x 225'

That, uh... brings up another issue. Is there enough room on the sidelines for players and equipment?

Vertical Lime posted:

unlike the angels the ducks don't try to brand themselves an la team

Anaheim is still in the LA metro area :colbert:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Volkerball posted:

not sure if the tickets will be outrageously expensive, or dirt cheap. probably the latter.

They will be outrageously expensive, then dumped for dirt cheap on StubHub.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Intruder posted:

It's hard to believe the Browns were once one of the premier teams in the NFL, even if they didn't win a Superbowl

Think about how long the Browns have been just god awful... their franchise record didn't drop below .500 until late last season

It's basically just since they were an expansion team that they've been god awful, before that they had periods of badness but nothing out of the ordinary at all. Yeah they hadn't won a Super Bowl through the first 30 but a bunch of teams hadn't.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

seiferguy posted:

Anaheim is still in the LA metro area :colbert:

Anaheim is closer to LA than Santa Clara is to San Francisco. Metro area branding is dumb.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

fishing with the fam posted:

Anaheim is closer to LA than Santa Clara is to San Francisco. Metro area branding is dumb.

New York and/or New Jersey Jets/Giants

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

seiferguy posted:

That, uh... brings up another issue. Is there enough room on the sidelines for players and equipment?

I think it's fine for the sidelines (the stubhub center has sidelines in soccer configuration that aren't counted in field size), but lengthwise looks cramped

the soccer net is where the goalpost would be

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i hope they sell seats on the grass hill. they're probably going to cost a lot for stupid football owner reasons but it's fun to watch minor league baseball from the outfield hill.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

AsInHowe posted:

They will be outrageously expensive, then dumped for dirt cheap on StubHub.

A partnership made in heaven.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Nail Rat posted:

It's basically just since they were an expansion team that they've been god awful, before that they had periods of badness but nothing out of the ordinary at all. Yeah they hadn't won a Super Bowl through the first 30 but a bunch of teams hadn't.

Yeah but that's almost two decades now

Two decades of being complete trash and they just now dropped below .500, that's how good they had been and it's hard to picture that if you're under like 40 or so

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hifi posted:

i hope they sell seats on the grass hill. they're probably going to cost a lot for stupid football owner reasons but it's fun to watch minor league baseball from the outfield hill.

They'll do what they did at LA Coliseum and erect VIP tents on the grass in place of luxury boxes

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I'm actually pretty excited about the site. I'm planning to go to the raider game there next year.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

EugeneJ posted:

They'll do what they did at LA Coliseum and erect VIP tents on the grass in place of luxury boxes

Wow so luxurious

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Intruder posted:

Yeah but that's almost two decades now

Two decades of being complete trash and they just now dropped below .500, that's how good they had been and it's hard to picture that if you're under like 40 or so

Yeah I think we were kind of talking past each other. I was agreeing, for the bulk of their history they were a good team, but the expansion Browns is mostly what most of us know. Modell should burn in hell not for taking a team that was going to win Super Bowls from Cleveland, but for sticking them with this mess instead.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'm really sad and it's hard to concentrate on anything else

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

a neat cape posted:

I'm really sad and it's hard to concentrate on anything else

:sympathy:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I hate this.

That said I'm loving there on that soccer field when the Chiefs come to town. Hell it will be mostly Chiefs fans. The LA Chiefs facebook group already created an invite.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

kiimo posted:

I hate this.

That said I'm loving there on that soccer field when the Chiefs come to town. Hell it will be mostly Chiefs fans. The LA Chiefs facebook group already created an invite.

Happy for you dude. Bring all your chiefs friends

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Wow so luxurious

The raiders sell tickets to sit in the baseball dugout. I can't imagine why or what you'd be able to see from that low and that far back. Great views of the camera cart I guess.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

fishing with the fam posted:

Calling the MLS a major sport over the NHL is nuts no matter what your impression of either is. :colbert:

I know the NHL has about 10 more teams than the MLS.

But attendance wise:

NHL averaged 17,439 in 2016 and MLS averaged 21,692...

Sure there are other factors to talk about for major sports (especially worth and revenue) but I thought the attendance numbers were interesting.

fyallm fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 12, 2017

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

fyallm posted:

I know the NHL has about 10 more teams than the MLS..

But attendance wise:

True but hockey is basically just soccer on ice with fistfights and less flopping, hence why it is a "major" sport and mls is not

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

fyallm posted:

I know the NHL has about 10 more teams than the MLS.

But attendance wise:

Sure there are other factors to talk about for major sports but I thought the attendance numbers were interesting.

What are the average capacity for NHL arenas vs soccer stadiums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

True but hockey is basically just soccer on ice with fistfights and less flopping, hence why it is a "major" sport and mls is not

It's not soccer on ice. Hockey is interesting and exciting and things happen.

• Locked thread