Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

a neat cape posted:

It's not soccer on ice. Hockey is interesting and exciting and things happen.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

a neat cape posted:

What are the average capacity for NHL arenas vs soccer stadiums?

NHL is typically around 20,000, soccer is usually more.

Soccer has more space around the playing surface, and tend to be outside with a roof over the stands only.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

fyallm posted:

I know the NHL has about 10 more teams than the MLS.

But attendance wise:

NHL averaged 17,439 in 2016 and MLS averaged 21,692...

Sure there are other factors to talk about for major sports (especially worth and revenue) but I thought the attendance numbers were interesting.

Also there are more than twice as many games in an NHL season. That's a rather important factor.

NFL teams wouldn't be getting 60,000 attendees if there were 4 home games in a week sometimes. Not saying that NHL is anywhere close to NFL but it's way more popular than MLS.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

a neat cape posted:

What are the average capacity for NHL arenas vs soccer stadiums?

NHL AVG capacity: 18,388

MLS AVG capacity: 22,361

fyallm fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 12, 2017

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I've spent the last hour consoling friends back in SD. They're all planning to go get Padres season tickets as a show of loyalty, which is cute (albeit misguided).

Spanos will flop in LA, will try to move back, and will be told that he is no longer welcome back as owner. Also, NFL will force them to repay for relocation. Spanos is so hosed.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
European football is cool and good but even as a European I will admit hockey is better.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Madden 2018 will literally have to model and create fuckin Stubhub field

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Nail Rat posted:

Also there are more than twice as many games in an NHL season. That's a rather important factor.

NFL teams wouldn't be getting 60,000 attendees if there were 4 home games in a week sometimes. Not saying that NHL is anywhere close to NFL but it's way more popular than MLS.

I used 2016-2017 NHL Attedance which averaged out to 20.7 games and 2016 MLS which averaged to 17 games

http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance

http://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2016-mls-attendance/

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
R.I.P. Charger fans - you deserved so much better. It might be cool to see a small stadium game though at the Galaxy crib.

NFL will never be in Sacramento in the next 30 years.

Leper and White Ryce are going to yell at me again but Sacramento has exactly 0 corporate HQ's of any decent size and needed Bay Area sugar daddy money to get anything done for the Kings, and even then it was a miracle. It's entire economy revolves around real estate, state government, law (lobbyists) and Beale Air Force Base (drone and U2 pilots.) At least Portland has NIKE, and if they cut their Univ of Oregon uniform/bling budget they could prob fund whatever stadium they wanted.

The only reason Bay Area transplants like me can survive out here is because we telecommute and/or travel back to the Bay Area the other days and based on how annoyingly crowded Amtrak has become, there are more every week doing it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Zurreco posted:

I've spent the last hour consoling friends back in SD. They're all planning to go get Padres season tickets as a show of loyalty, which is cute (albeit misguided).

Spanos will flop in LA, will try to move back, and will be told that he is no longer welcome back as owner. Also, NFL will force them to repay for relocation. Spanos is so hosed.

Spanos will absolutely be welcomed back as owner if he tries to bring the Chargers back, come on now

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

Madden 2018 will literally have to model and create fuckin Stubhub field

Nope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InCnaLB7b1s

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I have to think this isn't over yet.

Everyone on the planet is pissed about this and I wonder if the other NFL owners are considering their options (if any) on trying to block this still.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Everyone that commutes from sac to bay area is a giant turd. You've made that drive a nightmare and are responsible for out of hand housing costs in the local market. Work down there, live down there, get the gently caress outta my town.

Also sac can barely support minor league baseball, lmao at the idea of an NFL team

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
This entire thing is so drat stupid and everyone hates it. Why in the hell was moving two teams to LA in a short time span even on the table in the first place? I don't think there was anyone outside a couple of NFL owners that thought this was a good idea.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

kiimo posted:

I have to think this isn't over yet.

Everyone on the planet is pissed about this and I wonder if the other NFL owners are considering their options (if any) on trying to block this still.

Uh they have no recourse really and it's been announced. It's happening

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

fyallm posted:

I used 2016-2017 NHL Attedance which averaged out to 20.7 games and 2016 MLS which averaged to 17 games

http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance

http://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2016-mls-attendance/

Uhhhhhhhh you're missing my point.

There are 82 games in an NHL season. There are 32 games in an MLS season. 41 home games for NHL, 16 for MLS. MLS season is over, 2016-2017 NHL is only halfway done.

Since there are significantly fewer MLS games, the sport can have a higher average attendance and still be less popular, because you have more people overall going to NHL games by a wide margin. You need far fewer fans to sell 21,000 seats 16 times versus 18,000 seats 41 times.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 12, 2017

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

fishing with the fam posted:

This entire thing is so drat stupid and everyone hates it. Why in the hell was moving two teams to LA in a short time span even on the table in the first place? I don't think there was anyone outside a couple of NFL owners that thought this was a good idea.

even LA loving hates it. this is hilarious once you get over how sad and depressing it is as a san diegan

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Who has the next shittiest stadium after the Raiders? Seems like just lost a ton of leverage

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Blitz7x posted:

Who has the next shittiest stadium after the Raiders? Seems like just lost a ton of leverage

fedex?

you know some other owner is ready to whine over a stadium built within the past 25 years

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Blitz7x posted:

The 49ers lol

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Blitz7x posted:

Oakland is the next-crappiest. Solider is older but has been renovated recently, Lambeau could be a rotting husk and somehow get away with it because ~*Green Bay*~, and Arrowhead also has a recent renovation.

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010
Lived in San Diego for 10 years. Sorry San Diego and Charger fans. You all deserve better.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Nail Rat posted:

Uhhhhhhhh you're missing my point.

There are 82 games in an NHL season. There are 32 games in an MLS season. 41 home games for NHL, 16 for MLS. MLS season is over, 2016-2017 NHL is only halfway done.

Since there are significantly fewer MLS games, the sport can have a higher average attendance and still be less popular, because you have more people overall going to NHL games by a wide margin. You need far fewer fans to sell 21,000 seats 16 times versus 18,000 seats 41 times.

But since there aren't 82 MLS games, we technically don't know if the fans would fill it as many times. So I don't see how you can say it is less popular only because it has fewer games?

I was just trying to base it off attendance. If you start talking about team valuation or money then the argument goes away completely.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Nail Rat posted:

It's basically just since they were an expansion team that they've been god awful, before that they had periods of badness but nothing out of the ordinary at all. Yeah they hadn't won a Super Bowl through the first 30 but a bunch of teams hadn't.

Through Super Bowl 30, here's who won, hadn't won before, and hadn't played.

Won: Green Bay, NY Jets, Kansas City, Baltimore (Colts), Dallas, Miami, Pittsburgh, Oakland, San Francisco, Washington, Chicago, NY Giants.

Hadn't won: Minnesota, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, New England, Buffalo, Denver, San Diego

Hadn't played: Detroit, Seattle, Arizona, Atlanta, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Cleveland, Baltimore (Ravens), Indianapolis, Houston/Tennessee, Jacksonville.

Through today, here are those same lists.

Won: Green Bay, NY Jets, Kansas City, Baltimore (Colts), Dallas, Miami, Pittsburgh, Oakland, San Francisco, Washington, Chicago, NY Giants, Denver, Los Angeles/St. Louis, Baltimore (Ravens), New England, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle,

Hadn't won: Minnesota, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Buffalo, San Diego, Atlanta, Tennessee, Carolina, Arizona.

Hadn't played: Detroit, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Houston.

The Lions are the worst team, as the only ones going 0 for 50 in even making the Super Bowl. Then Cleveland.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I know there's no interest in Sacramento in getting an NFL team. I was just looking at it purely from the viewpoint of how the NFL owners would evaluate potential media market revenues - Sacramento is the next largest media market that has no NFL teams. It's worth pointing out only because you occasionally see folks claiming California already has too many NFL teams so it's good the Raiders are leaving or whatever... but actually in terms of both population and media markets, CA is still "underserved" compared to the national average.

But yes, half of LA is still bigger than all of Sacramento, and Vegas while being way way down the list, is a special consideration both because of its attractiveness as a place to fly to to watch a game and also do other stuff, and because the Raiders are popular everywhere and will presumably help to attract Raiders fan to that city. And Sacramento is presumably not interested.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Ammanas posted:

Everyone that commutes from sac to bay area is a giant turd. You've made that drive a nightmare and are responsible for out of hand housing costs in the local market. Work down there, live down there, get the gently caress outta my town.

Also sac can barely support minor league baseball, lmao at the idea of an NFL team

The inverse of that is that the RE market and all the RE downstream industries would crash without them. Wait till they fix the Amtrak Capital Corridor and/or it gets expanded via the high speed rail plan. It will get worse. Steinberg and SacMetro Chamber are lobbying hard to become a SF "suburb" and pick off call center projects.

Sac could have done a MLB team but even then, it seems Portland is a better fit.

Lambeau field is a great visit and the frozen bench seating also owns. I also saw locals pounding beers and eating brats at 7am from my warm hotel room.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 12, 2017

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Okay keep a rolling through all the bullshit and all but the new LA Chargers stadium looks dope

http://www.fightforla.com

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Welp, my backup team is the Bills. Go gently caress yourselves, LA Chargers.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I can't wait until Alex Spanos dies and Dean has to sell the team to pay the inheritance tax

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

fyallm posted:

But since there aren't 82 MLS games, we technically don't know if the fans would fill it as many times. So I don't see how you can say it is less popular only because it has fewer games?

I was just trying to base it off attendance. If you start talking about team valuation or money then the argument goes away completely.

Because if they could sell 42,000 seats to sell ~750k tickets over the course of the season like NHL teams do on average, they would build stadiums that held that many people. Teams in the UK play in front of crowds bigger than the NFL.

Yeah there are season ticket holders and whatnot but what I'm saying is average attendance doesn't mean much when one team plays once a week and one team plays 3-4 times a week. Most people are not going to go to sporting events 3 times in a week even if they are big fans. Hell most will only go to a couple games a year regardless of the sport.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 12, 2017

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Nail Rat posted:

Because if they could sell 41,000 seats to sell ~750k tickets over the course of the season like NHL teams do on average, they would.

If there were 82 soccer games with only a squad of 11 that play regularly they would die on the field.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Glass of Milk posted:

Welp, my backup team is the Bills. Go gently caress yourselves, LA Chargers.

Man this is more depressing than the sobbing radio callers

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Blitz7x posted:

Okay keep a rolling through all the bullshit and all but the new LA Chargers stadium looks dope

i want to vomit

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Lol now they're backing off on that Logo and saying it's a "work in progress" and "not approved by the NFL" (because the "Internet tore our asses")

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

fyallm posted:

If there were 82 soccer games with only a squad of 11 that play regularly they would die on the field.

This has nothing to do with what you quoted at all, but let's stop this derail. Soccer's a very lovely sport.

quote:

Lol now they're backing off on that Logo and saying it's a "work in progress" and "not approved by the NFL" (because the "Internet tore out asses")

Could they even use that logo without redoing their uniforms to not feature yellow so prominently? It'd be weird to have a blue and white logo that doesn't use yellow at all.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

i want to vomit

A 360 degree video board???

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

Blitz7x posted:

I'm leaving this planet now.

Gently caress the billionaire Spanos family.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

a neat cape posted:

I can't wait until Alex Spanos dies and Dean has to sell the team to pay the inheritance tax

Republican congress and president prolly gonna ditch the inheritance tax, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Nail Rat posted:

Could they even use that logo without redoing their uniforms to not feature yellow so prominently? It'd be weird to have a blue and white logo that doesn't use yellow at all.

I mean if you look at it the Skins logo doesn't have the burgundy that the team uses

• Locked thread