Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I would define 'awesome' as a world cup with no concacaf poo poo teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Akileese posted:

So if this happens does CONCACAF still get 6.5 spots? Cause that'd be really awesome.

The Caribbean would get 5, the rest 1.5. The Caribbean is the reason CONCACAF gets so many spots in the first place.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

stab posted:

who would be the ten

and give them 3 spots so its always usa mexico and a battle from the other 7

From the CONCACAF wiki:

North American Zone (NAFU)

USA :911:
Mexico :mexico:
Canada :canada:

Central American Zone (UNCAF)

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Guatemala
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

The rest are all in the Carribean zone (CFU)

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I hope MS13 is represented in the WC

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Weaponized Cum posted:

I hope MS13 is represented in the WC

"In a surprise move, the FIFA executive council has voted to give the California prison system .5 slots for the expanded world cup!"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Its hilarious also that NZ gets automatic qualification too.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

From the CONCACAF wiki:

North American Zone (NAFU)

USA :911:
Mexico :mexico:
Canada :canada:

Central American Zone (UNCAF)

Belize
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Guatemala
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama

The rest are all in the Carribean zone (CFU)

Oh that doesn't change a thing outside of Nicaragua and belize Canada can't beat any of those teams (you see because that's how poo poo Canada is at soccer)

edit: that also means the real poo poo in CONCACAF is the Caribbean countries holy lol I didn't realize that 90% of the qualifiers come out of the "North America" section

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Worth noting there were also some whispers about combining conmebol and concacaf in the event of a 48 team wc. Not that I imagine anyone, except maybe Bolivia, would be in favor of that.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Can you imagine the travel? Canada playing away to Chile or Argentina and then flying back to play at home 3 days later? That's farther than London to Johannesburg and back.

There's no way we combine with CONMEBOL.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Yeah as much as it would be great for many CONCACAF teams to improve in a tougher competition, the travel makes no sense.

Not that "making sense" has been FIFA's main concern tough, so who knows...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah and that would widen the door for a US non qualification if they have to face some grown up opposition and FIFA wouldn't want that.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

algebra testes posted:

Its hilarious also that NZ gets automatic qualification too.

New Zealand managed 3 points in the 2010 World Cup.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Shrapnig posted:

New Zealand managed 3 points in the 2010 World Cup.

Only team that had zero losses in the entire tournament

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Redczar posted:

Worth noting there were also some whispers about combining conmebol and concacaf in the event of a 48 team wc. Not that I imagine anyone, except maybe Bolivia, would be in favor of that.

This would be good because no CONCACAF team would ever qualify for another World Cup

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

vyelkin posted:

This would be good because no CONCACAF team would ever qualify for another World Cup

Costa Rica probably would be OK

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
There's no way this would happen unless the caribbean fas got their own federation first

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

silvergoose posted:

Wait how is it going to ruin the Ashes

In order to support developing cricket nations, Australia will be required to select three players from the US, and England will be required to select eleven Englishmen

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Can you imagine the travel? Canada playing away to Chile or Argentina and then flying back to play at home 3 days later? That's farther than London to Johannesburg and back.

There's no way we combine with CONMEBOL.

Worth noting that Canada to Chile is a shorter distance than Australia to Iraq, which is a thing that is literally happening now in the WC 2018 qualifiers.

Not saying it wouldn't be dumb but don't think travel distances are going to deter FIFA from doing something insane.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 12, 2017

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Worth noting that Canada to Chile is a shorter distance than Australia to Iraq, which is a thing that is literally happening now in the WC 2018 qualifiers.

Not saying it wouldn't be dumb but don't think travel distances are going to deter FIFA from doing something insane.

Back when there was a team from Vladivostok in the Russian PL, I always wanted them to qualify for UEFA competitions and get drawn with a team from Portugal or Spain, just for shits and grins. And whines.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Alexeythegreat posted:

Back when there was a team from Vladivostok in the Russian PL, I always wanted them to qualify for UEFA competitions and get drawn with a team from Portugal or Spain, just for shits and grins. And whines.

Even the trips to Moscow were 10 hours IIRC. Imagine the furor.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Holy poo poo Vladivostok have an away tie in the 2nd division against a side in Kaliningrad. It's 10k km.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Holy poo poo Vladivostok have an away tie in the 2nd division against a side in Kaliningrad. It's 10k km.

Imagine the collective sigh of relief when they were relegated
Also, that kind of poo poo is why there's perpetual talk of just splitting the second division into western and eastern zones
But, of course, that would gently caress over the PL again
There's no good workaround

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Come on, big FAs, break away from FIFA/UEFA already.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

It should also be pointed out that all of the good South American/African players have their club sides in Europe, anyway, so they're already flying several thousand miles during an international break

Most of the Australia squad is actually better off playing in Iraq than they are in Sydney, and not just because of the reduced risk of racial violence flaring up

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It doesn't matter if these lovely conferences get new franchise slots, UEFA will still win the championship.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
UEFA for the win.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

jyrka posted:

Come on, big FAs, break away from FIFA/UEFA already.

This is the eternal "wanting Donald Trump to get impeached" equivalent of our people. :smith:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I doubt the big European FAs will be the first to break away, they have too much to lose if it goes bad. I can see a FIFA replacement starting with US/Mexico/Japan/Australia/South Korea. None of those countries compete in important international competitions outside the World Cup, they have a low tolerance for FIFA's corruption, and they are big and wealthy enough for the international community to take notice.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alexeythegreat posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who wanted this.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Most of the Australia squad is actually better off playing in Iraq than they are in Sydney, and not just because of the reduced risk of racial violence flaring up

The Asian Champions League was nuts for this poo poo when Australian club sides would have to travel to Kazakhstan. Which is apparently the worst because none of the connecting flights line up, and they don't have their own aircraft like the national side.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

algebra testes posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who wanted this.

The Asian Champions League was nuts for this poo poo when Australian club sides would have to travel to Kazakhstan. Which is apparently the worst because none of the connecting flights line up, and they don't have their own aircraft like the national side.

Your point stands about travelling to Central Asia but Kazakhstan is part of UEFA not the AFC. With the high travel costs and low TV and price money, the Asian Champions League is a total money pit.

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
They have at least split the ACL into West and East until the final (though only pretty recently, IIRC). Granted, all the good teams are in the East, but at least the logistics are marginally less insane.

It's still terribly organised and doesn't even get televised here in Australia or, I'm pretty sure, in Japan. Not sure about anywhere else.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

oldman posted:

Your point stands about travelling to Central Asia but Kazakhstan is part of UEFA not the AFC. With the high travel costs and low TV and price money, the Asian Champions League is a total money pit.

gently caress, I'm the idiot that confused Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Marco Van Basten, who is now FIFA's technical director, is proposing rule changes.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/marco-van-basten-fifa-plans-change-football-a7534186.html

They include:

quote:

Restricting players to 60 games a year. Replacing penalty shootouts with eight-second run-ups. Introducing orange cards and sending players to sinbins for 10 minutes.

According to other articles/reports I've seen, other proposed changes include getting rid of the offside rule and extra time and splitting matches into 4 quarters.

And of course it will be up to the clubs and not the national FAs to make the fixture reduction happen.

Should this go here? I think it should.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Getting rid of the offside rule is so Van Basten it hurts.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love the idea of getting rid of offsides.

Because football without offsides was really dumb, and people think "man, that sounds good!"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I like the idea that getting rid of offside would somehow encourage attacking football instead of encouraging teams to park even more players inside their own penalty box.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Every single game would devolve into 10 players inside their own penalty box hoofing the ball into the opposing sides penalty box where their lone striker is standing by the goalpost.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Devolve Dravs? or evolve?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dravs posted:

Every single game would devolve into 10 players inside their own penalty box hoofing the ball into the opposing sides penalty box where their lone striker is standing by the goalpost.

loving turn football into a game of Worms why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I would be interested to see how binning players for 10 minutes for certain infringements would impact games.

Not sure what infringements should result in a binning. Maybe professional fouls that currently result in a yellow? A binning for persistent fouling or bad fouls might work as well.