Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The biggest tragedy is we won't get to see these again:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ammanas posted:

Everyone that commutes from sac to bay area is a giant turd. You've made that drive a nightmare and are responsible for out of hand housing costs in the local market. Work down there, live down there, get the gently caress outta my town.

Also sac can barely support minor league baseball, lmao at the idea of an NFL team

I visited Sacramento recently for the first time. It is indeed a giant shithole.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Lol if this is the year two San Diego Chargers make the hall of fame

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

kiimo posted:

I hate this.

That said I'm loving there on that soccer field when the Chiefs come to town. Hell it will be mostly Chiefs fans. The LA Chiefs facebook group already created an invite.

Yeah, I was just thinking about how awesome it's going to be to take my wife to LA for a cheap Broncos game every year.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Why even keep the Chargers name at this point? It's not a popular brand in LA and they seem to have changed the logo and the colours.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

You know it wouldn't be so bad if it was like a NFL Game/Music/Art festival. Just Coachella that poo poo out.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Why even keep the Chargers name at this point? It's not a popular brand in LA and they seem to have changed the logo and the colours.

lol if you think any of this was thought through in advance

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/TBLightning/status/819596619943440384

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Because they have to first 2017 per nfl rules

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

EugeneJ posted:

I visited Sacramento recently for the first time. It is indeed a giant shithole.

Nah it's not a shithole, that implies being actively bad. It just doesn't have a lot going for it like curated cereal shops or toast boutiques that disgusting millennial hipsters like.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they should put a team on the east side of phoenix

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The NFL Hall of fame selection committee is comprised of one media representative from each city with an NFL team. Obviously NYC and LA would get two now, but that shut essentially shut out Don Coryell's chances of in the pro football HoF? What LA rep would give a poo poo about him

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
So here's a good article about the monetary reasons behind the move

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/san-diego-chargers-los-angeles-move-relocation-011217?cmpid=feed:-sports-MSNcom

It's a depressing read, honestly

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

a neat cape posted:

Because they have to first 2017 per nfl rules

They'll probably let them do it if they want to. I suspect the owners are in a huff right now. Dean probably isn't the most popular person at this moment I'm guessing

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Man this is more depressing than the sobbing radio callers

Maybe the Packers, at least we know they're not moving.

Glass of Milk fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 12, 2017

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
https://twitter.com/andrewburer/status/819617427092668416

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Febreeze posted:

So here's a good article about the monetary reasons behind the move

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/san-diego-chargers-los-angeles-move-relocation-011217?cmpid=feed:-sports-MSNcom

It's a depressing read, honestly

The thing is that piece takes as gospel that PSL sales will be a massive financial boon for the two teams when the Rams already have an attendance problem and actively dicked over the previous PSL owners and for the Chargers, who are likely not in the top half dozen teams for fanbases in LA. Who's dropping 4-10k on these PSL's exactly ?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ammanas posted:

Nah it's not a shithole, that implies being actively bad. It just doesn't have a lot going for it like curated cereal shops or toast boutiques that disgusting millennial hipsters like.

I toured California last year.

Every small Californian town has generic "lol we're just like the wild west!" tourist traps like Old Timey General Stores/Old Timey Candy Shops/Old Timey Saloons/etc.

Sacramento's waterfront is a giant version of this. Like, walk a block and it starts repeating itself with the same "restaurant/candy shop/antique shop" combination. The river is disgusting and I would have rather been anywhere else.

Their minor league baseball stadium on the other side of the bridge looked kinda cool.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kalli posted:

The thing is that piece takes as gospel that PSL sales will be a massive financial boon for the two teams when the Rams already have an attendance problem and actively dicked over the previous PSL owners and for the Chargers, who are likely not in the top half dozen teams for fanbases in LA. Who's dropping 4-10k on these PSL's exactly ?

The Rams have an attendance problem but the article mentions that their value doubled because of the move :shrug:

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I'm a little confused on the Rams attendance problem because the data I've seen shows then second in attendance behind the cowboys. Maybe that's based on tickets sold rather than actual people coming through the gate but I don't think that really matters from the teams perspective and in selling psls.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

Every small Californian town has generic "lol we're just like the wild west!" tourist traps like Old Timey General Stores/Old Timey Candy Shops/Old Timey Saloons/etc.

Sacramento's waterfront is a giant version of this. Like, walk a block and it starts repeating itself with the same "restaurant/candy shop/antique shop" combination. The river is disgusting and I would have rather been anywhere else.

Their minor league baseball stadium on the other side of the bridge looked kinda cool.

The santa cruz/monterey area is cool. Castroville is the artichoke capital of the world.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

mike- posted:

I'm a little confused on the Rams attendance problem because the data I've seen shows then second in attendance behind the cowboys. Maybe that's based on tickets sold rather than actual people coming through the gate but I don't think that really matters from the teams perspective and in selling psls.

Empty seats turn into unsold seats eventually though, and 30k fans showing up out of 80k sold isn't a good trend

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

The NFL Hall of fame selection committee is comprised of one media representative from each city with an NFL team. Obviously NYC and LA would get two now, but that shut essentially shut out Don Coryell's chances of in the pro football HoF? What LA rep would give a poo poo about him

Pretty sure it'll still be San Diego this year, so this is the last shot

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

http://www.sfchronicle.com/raiders/ostler/article/Raiders-move-to-Las-Vegas-is-no-sure-thing-10851697.php

Just a reminder that the Raiders deal is still $650M short, until/unless Sheldon Adelson decides he'll cough that up without getting shares of the team, or the Davis family decides they'll give up more shares of the team (they're already below 50% ownership) to make the deal happen. Neither seems super-likely.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

EugeneJ posted:

Sounds like you missed out on all the Placer County bro-truck driving angry Trumpers though! sad.

Hey do people get violently shitfaced drunk at Galaxy games like a normal NFL game? Their bathrooms are going to get destroyed by NFL crowds.

from that article: "On top of that, facilities like restrooms and concessions will need to be expanded to serve any additional capacity. Premium seating may be improved and signage, from LED boards to scoreboards, could be improved as well. So could any number of other aspects of the stadium."

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Best part about this is it triggered the rare Good Plaschke Column, which only appears every few years. Savor this moment SAS.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

EugeneJ posted:

Ya old sac is a gross tourist trap area, wait you mean those things aren't literally everywhere and equally gross? Wow

It's not a good place to visit but it's a decent place to live

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
https://twitter.com/TBLightning/status/819596619943440384

E:gently caress I should of known I'd get beaten.

Jagged Jim fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 12, 2017

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

My stupid dad made me like this team and now they're both dead. Today is the best day.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog
lol

https://twitter.com/Alex_Flanagan/status/819606537966473216

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/DallasStars/status/819628587712126979

Henker
May 5, 2009

As someone who doesn't watch or follow football (this is on my radar because I'm from San Diego), what are the tangible or even theoretical benefits of the move? Or is it pretty much some old rich dude throwing a temper tantrum because SD taxpayers refused to buy him a shiny new stadium, so he took his ball and went home?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Once the pile is big enough to obvious thing to do is burn it.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Solid read this.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Between the slipping TV ratings, people actually having knowledge of brain murder, and weird rear end moves like this the NFL sure feels on the decline
Sometimes yeah. lol Dodgers fans can just keep wearing the same hat.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

hifi posted:

Empty seats turn into unsold seats eventually though, and 30k fans showing up out of 80k sold isn't a good trend

That's fair and I agree that it isn't a good trend, but I don't think the Rams attendance from the past season is an indicator that they or the chargers are going to have issues selling psl in the new stadium.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Ahahah everyone's having fun dunking on the Chargers

https://twitter.com/MenInBlazers/status/819609582175715330

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

mike- posted:

That's fair and I agree that it isn't a good trend, but I don't think the Rams attendance from the past season is an indicator that they or the chargers are going to have issues selling psl in the new stadium.

I think the Chargers absolutely will.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tzen posted:

Sometimes yeah.
lol Dodgers fans can just keep wearing the same hat.
any Dodgers fans that care about football are already Rams fans

Henker posted:

As someone who doesn't watch or follow football (this is on my radar because I'm from San Diego), what are the tangible or even theoretical benefits of the move? Or is it pretty much some old rich dude throwing a temper tantrum because SD taxpayers refused to buy him a shiny new stadium, so he took his ball and went home?
It is pretty much just that. Spanos seems to think he'll sell a bunch of expensive Personal Seat Licenses (PSLs) in the new stadium, (basically a lifetime right to buy season tickets for a given seat). There is good reason to think he will struggle to do so however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

mike- posted:

They'll sell because its football and then the novelty wears off and suddenly those people stop buying them because they arent forking out that much money to watch a team they dont actually like go 5-11

• Locked thread