Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not so.... Stormtroopers over droids, every day of the week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I actually kinda liked the droids in the show by the end. They're just so put upon!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just can't stand battle droids. Reading one of the new Star Wars books and there's a loving battle droid. "ROGER, ROGER" on far too many pages.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I think the episode where the Stormtroopers start talking about the battle droids like they were old household appliances, right in front of them while ignoring their talking completely, before gunning them down, should probably have been the poignant finale to the battle droid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why would you build an inaccurate robot?!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Aphrodite posted:

Built with economics in mind over quality.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

General Dog posted:

It's better than this show in every way, so yes.

I dunno,Rebels doesn't have any Wacky Jar-Jar Antics, or any FAAAAABULOUS Hutts,which edges it out for me.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe the droids don't want to kill people.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Battle Droids are automated muskets, they don't need accuracy when they're deployed in columns of a thousand and just need to shoot that way.

Commando Droids are the accurate ones, and there was only ever a few of them around at a time.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 12, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well they lost so maybe they did need accuracy.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Aphrodite posted:

Well they lost so maybe they did need accuracy.

They didn't actually lose though, they were deactivated because their entire side was a Palpatine sham.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

VolticSurge posted:

I dunno,Rebels doesn't have any Wacky Jar-Jar Antics, or any FAAAAABULOUS Hutts,which edges it out for me.

Eh, Clone Wars made Jar-Jar tolerable and the fabulous hut appeared in like 3 episodes [spoiler]before being killed off.[/b]

Aphrodite posted:

We know for a fact they could build better robots from some stuff that showed up in the clone wars. But waging galactic war is a big deal. Someone estimated that it'd require around 12 Trillion battle droids to pull it off. At some point, you got to consider budget.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Covok posted:

We know for a fact they could build better robots from some stuff that showed up in the clone wars. But waging galactic war is a big deal. Someone estimated that it'd require around 12 Trillion battle droids to pull it off. At some point, you got to consider budget.

And the Techno Union boss and Trade Federation boss were always bitching about how much things were costing them.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Covok posted:

Eh, Clone Wars made Jar-Jar tolerable and the fabulous hut appeared in like 3 episodes [spoiler]before being killed off.[/b]

That's why the Banking Clan is just a Clan now.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

jivjov posted:

Built with economics in mind over quality.

"Quantity has a quality all it's own."

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I just realized. Is the Rebel Insignia suppose to look like a Pheniox or is that Sabine taking artistic liscense with it?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BigRed0427 posted:

I just realized. Is the Rebel Insignia suppose to look like a Pheniox or is that Sabine taking artistic liscense with it?

It's her own personal tag.

Real world, the artist who designed it wanted it to suggest a proto-rebel insignia that spread from her, to the squadron, to the rest of the alliance, as that hasn't been invented yet in the chronology. Dunno why the original one from the trilogy looks like that though, I expect it's in a documentary somewhere.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 12, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jedi Order, Rebel Alliance, Sabine's Starbird symbol

Edit: according to Wookieepedia:

quote:

The Alliance Starbird, also known as the Phoenix, was the insignia of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. It adorned the flight helmets of a number of Rebel pilots during the Galactic Civil War. It was based on the Marek family crest.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Alliance_Starbird

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 12, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

That's the Legends description, though (as evidenced by the TFU reference).

Here's the one from the Canon page:

Wookieepedia posted:

The Rebel Alliance starbird was a symbol of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. The flight helmets of the Rebel X-wing pilots were adorned with the starbird logo.[1] Nearly thirty years after the Battle of Endor, the Resistance adopted the same emblem.

Interestingly:

Wookieepedia posted:

A similar design of the Alliance starbird symbol also appears in Star Wars Rebels as a personal signature of a Mandalorian artist Sabine Wren,[6] and was designed by Chris Glenn.[7] No formal connection has been established between the two emblems in Star Wars canon, therefore this article treats both as separate symbols.

It doesn't say it there, but the R1 Visual Guide definitely has a few pilot helmets that are adorned with the Wren starbird, and points it out as such.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 12, 2017

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I have a feeling its transfer over to the alliance as a whole will be partially explained by Sabine's interactions with the Mandalorian clans. Maybe they integrate into the alliance and bring the Wren family crest with them?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rocksicles posted:

I just can't stand battle droids. Reading one of the new Star Wars books and there's a loving battle droid. "ROGER, ROGER" on far too many pages.

Who's Roger?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

twistedmentat posted:

Who's Roger?

All Battle Droids are actually named Roger. It gets really confusing.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Rocksicles posted:

Not so.... Stormtroopers over droids, every day of the week

Why? They're just as incompetent.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

VolticSurge posted:

Why? They're just as incompetent.

The worst Stormtroopers have done is have boring conversation while on duty. They don't have comical voices with wacky behaviors.

Aphrodite posted:

Corrupt business people frequently cut corners to lower costs to the detriment of their products intended use. Like APC armor that explodes when shot

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 12, 2017

Veotax
May 16, 2006

drat, you guys weren't kidding about the Clone Wars movie. Why the gently caress would you put a movie about saving Jabba the Hutt's baby in theatres? That feels like it would have been a C-tier filler episode.

Also felt weird that Ventress had no introduction. She's just there and the characters acted like the average viewer should know who she is.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Veotax posted:

drat, you guys weren't kidding about the Clone Wars movie. Why the gently caress would you put a movie about saving Jabba the Hutt's baby in theatres? That feels like it would have been a C-tier filler episode.

Also felt weird that Ventress had no introduction. She's just there and the characters acted like the average viewer should know who she is.

She was introduced in the now legends other clone wars movie, and this was back before the nucannon was a thing, so it's just assumed everyone knows who she is from the EU.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Veotax posted:

The Clone Wars movie was never really meant to be a movie. George Lucas saw the test footage in his personal theater and just kind of went "why don't we just release this first arc to theaters?" and everyone just sort of scrambled to make it happen because Lucas wanted it to happen. I never got around to watching it until after I'd seen the series proper, and it's definitely not a pretty introduction to things. At least explained Fab da Hutt and why the gently caress they started the series in jail for me though, since the series definitely expects you to know who they are and why they're there.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
A better question would be why anyone chose that arc to start the series to begin with.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

General Dog posted:

A better question would be why anyone chose that arc to start the series to begin with.

It's Ahsoka's intro arc. The chronologically previous episode (the stealth ship) didn't have her in it and was a one-off, and the actual good arc (Malevolence) is (a) Another Death Star and (b) has Ahsoka there already, no intro.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Test Pattern posted:

It's Ahsoka's intro arc. The chronologically previous episode (the stealth ship) didn't have her in it and was a one-off, and the actual good arc (Malevolence) is (a) Another Death Star and (b) has Ahsoka there already, no intro.

Well I get that, I'm just not clear why Ahsoka's first assignment has to be babysitting a Hutt and his gay uncle.

edit: I mean, I get to some extent why it makes sense for her to get a lame task on her first arc and feel underappreciated, but they maker her so proficient in battle from the get go that it rings a bit false that there would be any doubt as to her ability to contribute.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 12, 2017

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

General Dog posted:

Because nobody had figured out that the clones are the best part of the show yet.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

kingcom posted:

Because nobody had figured out that the clones are the best part of the show yet.

It certainly wasn't Ahsoka.

Yeah, you heard me :colbert:

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
There's so much cool in the Clone Wars, you'd be fool to skip it.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Bad Moon posted:

She was likable. But right now I am watching S3 of Clone Wars. It's not that good although at least in the second disk they get her out of that drat tube top and put her in something a little less iffy. But perhaps I am just an old fuddy duddy and all the space kids of 2009-11 dressed like that or something and I should not worry about the youths and what they dress in.

The season is kinda Derpy. Some well meaning stuff on politics and corruption but.. it's sorta dull. Like Ziro is so far the legit highlight of the first 2 disks. They try to make Padme interesting and an action heroine and it just doesn't work.

The few Clone eps were cool but I don't really want WEST WING IN SPACE. I already had West Wing with Godzilla (Shin Godzilla.) and don't need or really want more of that right now. Course real life is making me utterly tired of politics so yeah.

It was fun seeing R2 slag off his job to go get a Spa treatment but.. Chopper is better in all ways. I dunno. Rebels I am liking more so far and that is with having seen the first 2 CW seasons closer to air date.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The one good thing CW did, was make Anakin a likeable character

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bad Moon posted:

Eat poo poo. Ahsoka is great...
...once she gets her wardrobe change in Season 3.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Clone Wars is the touching story of how Anakin became a good-hearted Space Dad with a personal army.

Until the end of season 5, where Darth Vader is for all intents and purposes born.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Zeb+Chopper+AP-5 felt like a filler until the end, but then fell into the typical Thrawn 'just as planned' type resolution. Also nice to see the imperial droid transform and go all terminator mode.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

PST posted:

Zeb+Chopper+AP-5 felt like a filler until the end, but then fell into the typical Thrawn 'just as planned' type resolution. Also nice to see the imperial droid transform and go all terminator mode.

It was also a nice homage to the Mcquarrie concept art for C-3PO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

AP-5 continues to be the best.

• Locked thread