Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

BexGu posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhh, kind of dropped the ball with the Me3 story and only got a surprise home run with the ME3 muiltiplayer to even it out.

The story (and especially the ending) in 3 was beyond retarded, but I still found it to be a very enjoyable game.

exquisite tea posted:

Despite this purpotedly being a major AAA release everything surrounding Andromeda has looked extremely second rate. They're selling people on their tropes and memes.

My two main concerns about Andromeda are too much of a DA:I style single player MMORPG feeling, and the story once again revolving about some apocalyptic struggle that will determine the faith of the galaxy. The latter because it's been done too often, but mostly because they tend to write themselves into a corner with those.

Bioware have shown that they are at their best when they write smaller stakes stories focussed on character interactions. Shooting bottles with garrus > shooting reapers anyday. That was my hope for the ME sequel before they announced Andromeda, a firefly-like story featuring a rag-tag crew in a rundown ship in a story with personal rather than geopolitical significance.

Philonius fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Mymla posted:

DAI is a good game.

You should definitely preorder this title then and also buy the RC Car. I also have about 56 copies of ET I will sell you for 45 bucks a pop. I take Paypal.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
DA:I MP was cool and good conceptually and I think Bioware deserves some credit for not just making another horde mode.

I just wish it didn't take forever to craft and level your mans so you could actually have fun.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I actually never played DAI MP. Rest of the game ruled though.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Philonius posted:

The story (and especially the ending) in 3 was beyond retarded, but I still found it to be a very enjoyable game.

My problem is that the ending was so bad for me that it completely stopped me from playing the game again. It was a total "well, thats that" moment and I just didn't care any more. Haven't even bought/played the DLC because of it. Did go back to the mulitplayer for a while (even bought 3 other friends ME3 when it was $5 on amazon) to do some Horde Mode but after ME3 ending I never touched the story again.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Utnayan posted:

It doesn't matter when you know what the developer has become :(

And for that, just go ahead and point to DA:I.

Hopefully it is a good solid game and I will play it because I love the universe it is set in... But I do not have any confidence in this company any longer.

Welp, I have some news for you then with regards to DA:I combat, it's engine, and ME:A combat.

DA:I's combat issues have nothing to do with its engine. With that game they sort of tried to be both a tactical RPG and an action RPG at the same time and wound up being a terrible example of each. Dragon age suffers from not having a clear identity when it comes to its gameplay. In contrast I think bioware has a very clear idea of what mass effect is from a gameplay standpoint and nothing from what they've shown of the shooting in Andromeda looks like a deviation from that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

tayvaan posted:

DA:I's combat issues have nothing to do with its engine. With that game they sort of tried to be both a tactical RPG and an action RPG at the same time and wound up being a terrible example of each. Dragon age suffers from not having a clear identity when it comes to its gameplay. In contrast I think bioware has a very clear idea of what mass effect is from a gameplay standpoint and nothing from what they've shown of the shooting in Andromeda looks like a deviation from that.

This is correct. I like Dragon Age Inquisition, but it is clearly trying to be two things at once and for many, many people it is not purely enough of one or the other to hold up.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

marshmallow creep posted:

This is correct. I like Dragon Age Inquisition, but it is clearly trying to be two things at once and for many, many people it is not purely enough of one or the other to hold up.

My main annoyance was it felt very cumbersome to micromanage your squadmates (unlike mass effect where they do their own thing semi-competently) , but if you didn't then they'd drop dead 5 seconds after combat starts. I ended up soloing most dragon fights.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

exquisite tea posted:

Nobody should pre-order Mass Effect: Andromeda, or in fact any game ever.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
It was cool when I could give everyone very specific flowchart instructions in how to not die in DA:O and not so much when Bioware decided that was too good a feature to keep in the sequels, but ME has a "press this to make everyone not dead" button so it's fine.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

year199X posted:

DA:I MP was cool and good conceptually and I think Bioware deserves some credit for not just making another horde mode.

DA:I MP is literally WoW if you took out the interesting end-game dungeons, non-core combat/fun abilities, and forced players to grind materials just to unlock classes.

It's poo poo.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Has there been any info on whether they've kept or removed the scan planet for minerals aspect of planet expo?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Uggghhhh gently caress no. No-one likes resource gathering. Especially on foot. gently caress that poo poo.

If you're the boss, leave resource gathering to the work experience kid.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Andrew_1985 posted:

Uggghhhh gently caress no. No-one likes resource gathering. Especially on foot. gently caress that poo poo.

If you're the boss, leave resource gathering to the work experience kid.

Your work experience kid in this case is a drone you kick out the back of the Nomad.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Your work experience kid in this case is a drone you kick out the back of the Nomad.

Previous gameplay videos showed Ryder looting a crystal node for lithium or something on foot.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

tayvaan posted:

I disagree. I see striking similarities between the two games as it stands from what we have seen so far from Mass Effect Andromeda. I suppose we will find out soon enough.

Also (Rumor incoming), the ME team hates working with Frostbite, but it was jammed down their throats from EA because they wanted to cut costs on 3rd party licensing of other engines which made more sense. EA honestly thinks they can move everything over to the Frostbite engine. And then wonder why some of the games come out half assed and "Lose their identity".

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yes. You can do both. They have also said you don't have to gather resources to have equipment and make progress. Perhaps it'll be the same level of importance as gathering in me1.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

The Mass Effect story kept changing its head writer so yeah, things are a mess.

The original story was about how using the mass effect gates to travel around space was causing stars to die. Which is why you have that weird out of place mission in 2 where the star is dying. Writers changed again and we got a lackluster story about big robots. They lost all their cosmic horror appeal and were turned into straight up boring AI's.

The Mass Effect games were good. The story was poo poo.

I see this brought up a lot, but what is the source? I kept hearing about the ME3 details getting leaked and aggressive backlash forced them to change the story to what was released in the end but as far as the whole dark energy and the various other dangling plot threads I got the impression that the writers just gave up as directorial pressure forced them to simply the main narrative.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Game looks pretty good and I have faith given how good the combat in ME3 was that the combat in Andromeda will be good as well. I do expect a ham-fisted story though. I hope the terrible story is surrounded by amazing set pieces and great fights (it will.)

Bring back heavy weapons. Those were great and we need more.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

pentyne posted:

I see this brought up a lot, but what is the source? I kept hearing about the ME3 details getting leaked and aggressive backlash forced them to change the story to what was released in the end but as far as the whole dark energy and the various other dangling plot threads I got the impression that the writers just gave up as directorial pressure forced them to simply the main narrative.

The series switched lead writers between 2 and 3. The Dark Energy throughline was what the original writer had in mind for why the Reapers reaped.

Here's an article.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Serf posted:

Do what makes me happy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

EA: "I accidentally simply all the narrative!"

Serf
May 5, 2011

I guess if that's what makes you happy.

Also, is Frostbite the engine they made ME3 in? Because I'd like one where Shepard doesn't move like an early Resident Evil character.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Nah, that was Unreal.

The character creator in Andromeda would probably be comparable to Inquisition.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nah, that was Unreal.

As long as there is normal lighting, I am okay with that.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nah, that was Unreal.

I'll have to go back and replay Inquisition soon, but the way Shepard moves in ME3 is a lot different than I remember.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Torrannor posted:

As long as there is normal lighting, I am okay with that.

THAT is never a guarantee. Bioware seems married to the idea of CC lighting being completely distinct from the rest of the game.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

It really shouldn't be too much effort to have some different lighting toggles in the character creator, and a few animations / dialog lines. Would save me considerable time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While I can understand the appeal to have kept the Reapers from becoming as "Mundane space monster" as they were?

In the end, wanting to keep things at Cosmic Horror™ scale is just a circle jerky losing proposition for any game where they don't intend the ending to be "Rocks fall, everyone dies. :lol: Cosmic Horrors have Godmode".

Or, you win but it's with the usual shrugged out disclaimer that "Cosmic horror beings are eternal you only delayed them, and only because they were bored and let you win by going back to bed. Or maybe because they let you win for reasons. You're still a loser and mere mortal :spooky:" Which even GOOD games on the subject matter love to do.

The reapers were poorly handled in the end, to be sure. But wanting to go to the other extreme full retard unknowing and invincible as a five year old cheating at make believe games, would not have helped. Particularly in a series with action rear end kicker extraordinaire gameplay. It would be like if the original Resident Evil gave you rocket launchers and full auto shotguns all game, and then decided Tyrant is just that invincible, roll credits. Claim it's artistic and/or ironic.

Jack2142 posted:

Mass Effect 1 & 2 Reapers are Borg in TNG TV Show, Mass Effect 3 Reapers are the Borg in the movie First Contact.
I like this statement.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 12, 2017

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly I think I would have been fine with 3 without the ending. The story would have been pretty bad but it wouldn't have been outright annoying with having to listen to the reaper kid thing.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

The series switched lead writers between 2 and 3. The Dark Energy throughline was what the original writer had in mind for why the Reapers reaped.

I never got why this usually gets considered a better ending idea by a lot of people considering this just switches the game being blatantly ignored in terms of "giant, gaping plot hole introduced" from ME2 to ME1.

(Honestly it really seems like the major issue with the main trilogy is that they probably never had an actual plan for how to actually do the whole trilogy and were probably intending to put off doing a sequel until EA saw the potential $$$$ after ME1's success and immediately ordered the rest of the sequels.)

Exposure fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 12, 2017

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

They went the *absolute worst* way they could have gone with them though. An AI that misinterprets its programming to terrible consequences, how fresh.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah i played through 3 in 2 big rear end sessions when it came out. stupid starkid was such a goddamn gutpunch as delirious and tired as i was at that point.

took me like 2 years to get back to playing it again with the dlc. much better 2nd time around, but gently caress 3s ending was the goddamn worst.

and the space ninja.

Most of the rest was just little vignettes for all of your living mass effect bros and such and a larger scale mass effect 2 gather the team type theme.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Bloody Hell, I had legitimately totally blocked this off and suppressed any memory I had of loving Kai Leng. Replaying ME2 at the moment and doing Thane's loyalty mission I was thinking about his prayer in 3 and how it was one of the cooler things in the game. I could recall he got badly injured, but I had no memory at all of how it happened or more importantly Who did it.

Crazy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I always forget just how ridiculous it is that there's anything of Shepard left to rebuild after ME2's intro. ME3 makes it even dumber.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Phrosphor posted:

Bloody Hell, I had legitimately totally blocked this off and suppressed any memory I had of loving Kai Leng. Replaying ME2 at the moment and doing Thane's loyalty mission I was thinking about his prayer in 3 and how it was one of the cooler things in the game. I could recall he got badly injured, but I had no memory at all of how it happened or more importantly Who did it.

Crazy.

I would forgive the Kai Leng stuff if you always had an interrupt option to make Shepard act like he has no idea who the gently caress Kai Leng is.

:ninja:"Looks like you lose again thanks to cutscene magic, shepard! The Prothean whatsit of Thessia is mine!"
:shepface: "Who are you! Who do you work for!"
:ninja: "What? It's me, Kai Leng. Coolest cyborg ninja of Cerberus-"
:shepface: "If the Illusive man had a pet ninja, I'm preeeety sure I'd remember."

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Section Z posted:

I would forgive the Kai Leng stuff if you always had an interrupt option to make Shepard act like he has no idea who the gently caress Kai Leng is.

:ninja:"Looks like you lose again thanks to cutscene magic, shepard! The Prothean whatsit of Thessia is mine!"
:shepface: "Who are you! Who do you work for!"
:ninja: "What? It's me, Kai Leng. Coolest cyborg ninja of Cerberus-"
:shepface: "If the Illusive man had a pet ninja, I'm preeeety sure I'd remember."

yes that would be perfect.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Exposure posted:

I never got why this usually gets considered a better ending idea by a lot of people considering this just switches the game being blatantly ignored in terms of "giant, gaping plot hole introduced" from ME2 to ME1.

(Honestly it really seems like the major issue with the main trilogy is that they probably never had an actual plan for how to actually do the whole trilogy and were probably intending to put off doing a sequel until EA saw the potential $$$$ after ME1's success and immediately ordered the rest of the sequels.)

It would have been a better idea in that it actually tied into the themes and setup of the earlier games. As for whether or not it would be better, who knows? If you look in the article I posted, Drew Karpyshyn says that the idea was never fully fleshed out so it easily could have turned into the same kind of shitshow.

As for the trilogy as a whole, it was planned ahead of time, and I don't think EA pushed them too hard to get the sequels out. I'd just chalk it up to developer shortcomings—Bioware has never been awesome as endings—coupled with how hard it is to stick the landing on something with this kind of scope. Nobody had ever attempted to create a single branching narrative that spanned three full games, and I doubt we'll see another one anytime soon cause it turns out that poo poo is kinda hard to pull off.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Bud K ninja sword posted:

yes that would be perfect.

Is your username from the alternate universe where ME3 was a stoner comedy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If you were to take all three games and judge them independently of each other, ME1 is the best, ME2 is #2 and ME3 is a pile of poo poo that makes no sense.
If you take them as parts of a series, ME1 is far better than the others, ME2 makes no sense at all and ME3 is a pile of poo poo that still makes no sense.
In other words, the only good game of the three is ME1, in spite of its flaws.