Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

That's a really good hire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

MourningView posted:

That's a really good hire

As long as he isn't calling plays, it is a great hire. Ohio State has already anounced Kevin Wilson to take his place.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
If Butch promotes Larry Scott to OC I will be completely underwhelmed. He's fighting for his drat job, go out and get the best freaking guy available. I don't get it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Joey Freshwater posted:

I mean technically his father managed a crisis for decades before anyone did anything about it so he might know a thing or two.

His dad, successful manager and charismatic leader, did.

Jay Paterno, unsuccessful assistant manager and guy that couldn't even get snaps on his dad's team, would probably leave a letter titled SECRET RAPE COVER-UP PLANS (DO NOT COPY) on the copier at the library.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Bama ol coach Mario Christobol to Oregon

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Iowa State has extended AD Jamie Pollard's contract through 2024.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's presided over, like, three bowl games, an unprecendented period of success.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cal seems to be targeting Ken Niumatalolo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So Cal's just giving up on ever being able to recruit?

Queers And Fears
Apr 30, 2006
Look out for Ole Miss in 06!
In a weird twist of events Mississippi State and Louisville traded defensive coordinators with Todd Grantham going to State and Peter Sirmon going to Louisville. Both fanbases appear happy to be rid of their DC's. Sirmon also has a nephew in Washington that is a 5 star quarterback recruit in the 2018 class and his son is a three star linebacker recruit also in the 2018 class.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Bip Roberts posted:

For a nominal meritocracy sports loves nepotism on basically every level (players, coaches, announcers).

Just like America!

You see this a lot in the military too, which is even more infuriating.

MourningView posted:

I don't think he really pushed him, other than helping him get a crappy scouting gig with Belichick after he got hurt and washed out as a player. From there Brian has genuinely done a really good job. He turned his gift admin job into a legit coaching role with the Pats and impressed everyone there. He was in the running to take over for O'Brien as OC before McDaniels went back and O'Brien tried like hell to get him as oline coach with the Texans. Everyone around the Pats was talking about him as a future head coach within like a year. And at Iowa he completely turned around the running game and got a ton out of a banged up offensive line starting multiple walk ons. He's been the best coach on staff outside of Phil Parker.

Lots of coaches were the sons of coaches at some level, just assuming he's bad because Jeff Bowden sucked seems pretty lazy.

I didn't say anything about assuming he was bad. I was merely pointing out that nepotism is a hell of a thing in football, but if he really wanted to prove himself he'd try to do it on a team that's not Daddy's rather than have some mild success on the Pats and then leap to Daddy's team to move up the ranks. It's definitely a flaw of mine but I can't respect those people at all.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Nepotism is the way of the world so it seems kind of odd to expect sports to be the one shining beacon of meritocracy

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJExile posted:

Iowa State has extended AD Jamie Pollard's contract through 2024.

Terrible coaching hires of guys that go to his church to continue for another 7 years.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Iowa: Sources tell FootballScoop running backs / special teams coordinator Chris White and receivers coach Bobby Kennedy will not have their contracts renewed. White has coached at Iowa the past four seasons and was with the Minnesota Vikings for four seasons prior to that coaching special teams. Kennedy has coached receivers the past 15 seasons at Iowa, Colorado, Texas and Washington and won the FootballScoop Receivers Coach of the Year in 2008 while at Texas.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Looks like they're letting Brian completlely overhaul the offensive staff, which is good. Kennedy was trash and hired at the recommendation of Davis, so no surprise there. White is a little surprising because his position has been doing fine, but it's also running backs coach so this is probably motivated mostly by a desire to improve recruiting.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I didn't say anything about assuming he was bad. I was merely pointing out that nepotism is a hell of a thing in football, but if he really wanted to prove himself he'd try to do it on a team that's not Daddy's rather than have some mild success on the Pats and then leap to Daddy's team to move up the ranks. It's definitely a flaw of mine but I can't respect those people at all.

He could be an NFL OL coach right now if he wanted to be. O'Brien tried to hire him and he nearly took it. Working for your dad in the town you grew up in and getting to coach at the school you played for is probably pretty cool!

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
We hired a dude from Baylor named Casey Horny. We hired literally hired Coach Horny, from Baylor.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

it is really funny that Grantham is getting back into the SEC. I wonder if he is getting paid as much as L'ville was

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Thermos H Christ posted:

We hired a dude from Baylor named Casey Horny. We hired literally hired Coach Horny, from Baylor.

It's all about culture #1-0

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Mark Banker is out as Nebraska DC; DBs coach Brian Stewart took the DC gig at Rice, and Director of Player Personnel Ryan Gunderson is supposedly taking a coaching gig somewhere, too.

The Banker thing is a surprise; not only because of the timing (folks have posited Riley is going for an NFL guy) but we've long heard from those familiar with Oregon State — hell, I remember some people here saying as such — that one of Riley's downsides has been being loyal to Banker to a fault. Guess he's not loving around.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

Mark Banker is out as Nebraska DC; DBs coach Brian Stewart took the DC gig at Rice, and Director of Player Personnel Ryan Gunderson is supposedly taking a coaching gig somewhere, too.

The Banker thing is a surprise; not only because of the timing (folks have posited Riley is going for an NFL guy) but we've long heard from those familiar with Oregon State — hell, I remember some people here saying as such — that one of Riley's downsides has been being loyal to Banker to a fault. Guess he's not loving around.

Dammit Gover you always beat me to posting Nebraska news :v:

Banker is definitely a surprise. He and Riley have been a pair for the past 20 years. Now if only we could do something about Langsdorf...

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 12, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I need to see what Langsdorf does with a QB not named Tommy Armstrong first

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

I need to see what Langsdorf does with a QB not named Tommy Armstrong first

I was going to mention this, but it's more than just Tommy. We never made any adjustments to Barnett repeatedly tearing us apart in the bowl game. Hung our tackles out to dry over and over.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

CBS reports Rhett Lashlee leaving Auburn for OC job at UConn. I got no idea what to think of this. There was talk he would be considered for their HC job, the AD came from Auburn.

This looks on paper like a Nussmier style "you're not 'fired' but you should probably find another job now" but that doesn't make a ton of sense given his relationship with Malzahn and the way the offense actually took off this season when he got playcalling authority. Could be the inverse of that -- Lashlee got tired of never getting a HC job cause nobody knows how he'll do outside of Gus's shadow. Maybe some personal poo poo went down, who knows.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/819377835521572864

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Real Name Grover posted:

Dango Bango posted:

Dammit Gover you always beat me to posting Nebraska news :v:

Banker is definitely a surprise. He and Riley have been a pair for the past 20 years. Now if only we could do something about Langsdorf...

In hindsight it's not super surprising. It's one thing to be loyal to your guys when you're at a middling program like Oregon State, it's another thing to do it when you have one of the highest profile jobs in college football. Next year is the year that Riley's leash gets a lot shorter and he knows it.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yeah, Bruce Read had been with him forever, too, and was shown the door (we had little to no return game and Lighbourn certainly wasn't great, though I can't imagine how difficult it was for him to take that gig after Foltz died).

I heard names like Bob Diaco and Tim DeRuyter thrown out there by people who looked at a list of "recently fired HCs who have defensive experience" but nobody has any idea who Riley is gunning for here.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

CBS reports Rhett Lashlee leaving Auburn for OC job at UConn. I got no idea what to think of this. There was talk he would be considered for their HC job, the AD came from Auburn.

This looks on paper like a Nussmier style "you're not 'fired' but you should probably find another job now" but that doesn't make a ton of sense given his relationship with Malzahn and the way the offense actually took off this season when he got playcalling authority. Could be the inverse of that -- Lashlee got tired of never getting a HC job cause nobody knows how he'll do outside of Gus's shadow. Maybe some personal poo poo went down, who knows.

I think he probably thinks he needs to show he can be fully in charge of an offense before he can get a head coaching job. I also read he's taking a huge pay cut going to UConn, so who knows. I'm really worried about who the new OC will be. In my fantasy they hire Chip Kelly, but it's probably going to be someone already at the program (Herb Hand) or a Briles (please no).

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I could see Chip doing OC in the NFL, but I just couldn't see him doing it in college again. Maybe he joins some team as an analyst position like Lane or Sark (though they were already tapped to be the OC anyway) and just uses that to keep himself in the game without doing any damage to himself until a position opens he wants.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah if he wants to work this year he'd take Cal HC. Even if he would I can see some downsides -- possible clash of ideas, both he and the recruits know he won't be around next year and he hates recruiting anyway so you probably fall off there at least a little bit.

Chip Lindsey is a name getting tossed around, was a film guy at Auburn before going to Arizona State.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/819571794185224193
Thank god

e: second report from Auburn's 24/7 guy
https://twitter.com/bmarcello/status/819575689192022018

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 12, 2017

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Dango Bango posted:

I was going to mention this, but it's more than just Tommy. We never made any adjustments to Barnett repeatedly tearing us apart in the bowl game. Hung our tackles out to dry over and over.

If you adjust for Barnett then Vereen does it so you might as well not waste the effort.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Duckaerobics posted:

I think he probably thinks he needs to show he can be fully in charge of an offense before he can get a head coaching job.

That's how all coaching gigs work in the American. Do alright for a couple of years, beat a P5 or four, get poached.

If his offense works well up there his floor should be third in the AAC East. His closest competition in a two year stay should be USF until they show otherwise and UCF until Nebraska poaches Scott Frost.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 12, 2017

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Good. I will honestly be happy no matter who gets made OC knowing it wont be a Briles.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

asu hired baylor's DC... this seems odd for graham to get a guy that has a ton of experience

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

JesustheDarkLord posted:

If you adjust for Barnett then Vereen does it so you might as well not waste the effort.

I get what you're saying, but Vereen had one sack (his only tackle) and one QB hurry. Barnett had 6 tackles, a sack, and 4 QB hurries. He was in our backfield all day. You have to do something about that and we didn't.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Korranus posted:

That's how all coaching gigs work in the American. Do alright for a couple of years, beat a P5 or four, get poached.

If his offense works well up there his floor should be third in the AAC East. His closest competition in a two year stay should be USF until they show otherwise and UCF until Nebraska poaches Scott Frost.

It's an interesting turn, given that Edsall was a pretty straight pro-style type guy, same with almost every Northeast program. Lashlee opens up the door to use The American's wide geographic profile to UConn's advantage for the first time. Of course, almost all this will have to be done by assistant coaches, since Randy don't recruit.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
This is... odd

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/819600296053571584

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I kinda don't believe that Gus will let his new OC really have all the say in designing and deploying the offense.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TCU was kind of a disaster this year was he on thin ice with Patterson or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
What the hell is going on? First, Rhett Lashlee leaves his job as OC at Auburn, where he had seemingly proven himself after being given expanded duties, to accept the same position at UConn? For much less money? Only way that makes sense to me is if he was pseudo-fired and told to find another job (in which case, why?), or he had a falling out with Malzahn, or I guess if he felt like he would never be able to parlay his Auburn gig into a head coach job because everyone would credit Malzahn with the offensive success.

Then Meachem leaves his gig as the co-OC with playcalling duties at TCU, to take over the offense at... Kansas? That's just... what? Does he have some personal reason that he needs to live in Kansas or something?

Finally, it turns out Casey Horny, the unfortunately named QC guy we hired from Baylor, was a somewhat outspoken defender of Briles on twitter. So, yeah, fuuuuuuuck that guy. How good could a loving QC guy possibly be that it would justify bringing in someone who is tainted like that, a member of Briles' staff who continued to align himself with Briles after the report? Exceptionally questionable judgment from Tom Herman on this one.

• Locked thread