Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

1500quidporsche posted:

You are joking right? Angry as gently caress "Just Honestly" Vettel has been awesome.

I enjoyed both Vettle versions this season.

But I found the happy podium dance while Merc drivers pout to be more hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

I dunno about F1 drivers if it were me and Horner told me to go sit by the toilets I'd be wondering why Horner could not go to the cheap seat himself, given that it was a team gently caress up, and would be quietly filing that little moment under "revenge".

What part of 'double-booked' didn't you understand?

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Norns posted:

I hope Sebastian finds his mind again. He loving lost it this year. I miss happy dance Vettle.

Ferrari destroys drivers. The sole exception to this was Michael Schumacher, and the unique circumstances he enjoyed when he was there.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Wut?

it was either "double booked", or, and this is the way it works in Britain, Horner who was on the same flight, should have sat in the bad seat himself or sent a minion with a promise that he would remember this and would make it up to them later.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I'd like to know what drives a man to look at the field of drivers and go "yep bottas is my man".

He's the only driver who has done nothing of any note either on or off the track.

I tend to find both drivers and teams equally compelling to root for.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

You need a dad thats a Hamilton fan

My dad watches old western movies and rerun's of farscape.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

learnincurve posted:

Wut?

it was either "double booked", or, and this is the way it works in Britain, Horner who was on the same flight, should have sat in the bad seat himself or sent a minion with a promise that he would remember this and would make it up to them later.

Drivers don't always fly with their team, either. I remember after the Valencia race years ago, my wife and I were at the airport waiting for our flight and we saw lots of various team and crew around, and then standing around by himself waiting for a flight was a lonely Vitantonio Liuzzi. Maybe Max was the only one on that flight and for whatever reason the other guy who booked that seat checked in first.

It's funny, because when I think about it, if I had booked a business class seat and they told me I'd be riding in the back of the bus instead, I'd probably be pretty annoyed. I assume they'd either comp the flight or refund you at least the difference, or some other meaningless airline platitude, which would probably be enough for me though.

Alternate option, Jos took the good seat and let Max take the bullet.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Speaking of racers and planes, Dale Jr. had his luggage lost on his /honeymoon/ flight and was all "... poo poo. This stuff happens though!"

Or well, from what we could tell anyway.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CratSock posted:

Drivers don't always fly with their team, either. I remember after the Valencia race years ago, my wife and I were at the airport waiting for our flight and we saw lots of various team and crew around, and then standing around by himself waiting for a flight was a lonely Vitantonio Liuzzi. Maybe Max was the only one on that flight and for whatever reason the other guy who booked that seat checked in first.

It's funny, because when I think about it, if I had booked a business class seat and they told me I'd be riding in the back of the bus instead, I'd probably be pretty annoyed. I assume they'd either comp the flight or refund you at least the difference, or some other meaningless airline platitude, which would probably be enough for me though.

Alternate option, Jos took the good seat and let Max take the bullet.

Yeah, so for a lad who's not even paying for the flight and wouldn't benefit from the refund to just shrug his shoulders and take the lesser seat shows just how good of a lad he is.

And he is a good lad. he's probably nice to waiters and waitresses too.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

fyallm posted:

My dad watches old western movies and rerun's of farscape.

I wish I had gone for this rather than becoming an F1 fan

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

CratSock posted:

"Sitting in economy next to the toilets" is the new "sleeping on a couch"
But is it the new "Stevenage"?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

learnincurve posted:

I dunno about F1 drivers if it were me and Horner told me to go sit by the toilets I'd be wondering why Horner could not go to the cheap seat himself, given that it was a team gently caress up, and would be quietly filing that little moment under "revenge".

2019, after winning the world championship for Red Bull, Max sensationally signs for Ferrari 2 days before the start of the next season, taking #1 with him.

His first press conference for Ferrari, they ask him why he decided to leave Red Bull.

He looks the reporter right in the eye and says.

"They. Made. Me. Fly. Coach."

"Also, I'm loving Geri".

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Wut?

No, you claimed that it was a team gently caress-up that the airline double booked the seat.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't want to talk about this stupid crap.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dudley posted:

2019, after winning the world championship for Red Bull, Max sensationally signs for Ferrari 2 days before the start of the next season, taking #1 with him.

His first press conference for Ferrari, they ask him why he decided to leave Red Bull.

He looks the reporter right in the eye and says.

"They. Made. Me. Fly. Coach."

:laffo:

quote:

"Also, I'm loving Geri".

:barf:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ImplicitAssembler posted:

No, you claimed that it was a team gently caress-up that the airline double booked the seat.

:/ the team booked with an airline that double booked it's business class seats. In Britain the person who booked the seats or thier boss would be held responsible as a matter of standard practice. No need to be such an arse.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

:/ the team booked with an airline that double booked it's business class seats. In Britain the person who booked the seats or thier boss would be held responsible as a matter of standard practice. No need to be such an arse.

No they wouldn't. It's the airlines screw-up and completely out of control of the person who booked it. Stop making poo poo up.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I generally follow mediocre Germans.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's pretty common knowledge that airlines intentionally overbook busy flights.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Khablam posted:

I'd like to know what drives a man to look at the field of drivers and go "yep bottas is my man".

He's the only driver who has done nothing of any note either on or off the track.

The same thing that happens when you look at the field and every other viable driver has an ironclad contract

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Khablam posted:

Started watching in 2014, didn't know wtf I was doing so I read the OP and read the descriptions of each driver and Bottas stood out:

"77
Valtteri Bottas
Age: 24 | Nationality: Finnish | Starts: 19 Wins: 0 | 2013: 17th
Had a strong rookie season in an extremely poor car. Massa will be a good benchmark to measure his potential by."

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

fyallm posted:

Started watching in 2014, didn't know wtf I was doing so I read the OP and read the descriptions of each driver and Bottas stood out:

"77
Valtteri Bottas
Age: 24 | Nationality: Finnish | Starts: 19 Wins: 0 | 2013: 17th
Had a strong rookie season in an extremely poor car. Massa will be a good benchmark to measure his potential by."

The Williams pairing locked out the grid in Austria that year, hope was instilled that Williams was resurging, alas it was short lived

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

ImplicitAssembler posted:

No they wouldn't. It's the airlines screw-up and completely out of control of the person who booked it. Stop making poo poo up.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Goon: I think this happened
Entire thread: There's literally no way that could've happened, it's absolutely impossible and here is why...
Goon: Hmm, I think I should double down here.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It's learningcurve. She always buckles down on everything.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

You're all loving wrong about how to follow F1

You don't pick a driver you want to see win
You pick drivers you want to see lose

That is the true spirit of F1

There are lots of ways to select those drivers: nationality, past grudges, hating their team, driving style on track, lifestyle off track, or simply because some other oval office in this thread likes them which means by law you have to root against that poster's happiness.

People like and hate teams mainly based on how they treat drivers, or which drivers they hired, but there are exceptions to this.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I hate Redbull but like it's drivers.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
You fell for their trick

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

simplefish posted:

You're all loving wrong about how to follow F1

You don't pick a driver you want to see win
You pick drivers you want to see lose

That is the true spirit of F1

There are lots of ways to select those drivers: nationality, past grudges, hating their team, driving style on track, lifestyle off track, or simply because some other oval office in this thread likes them which means by law you have to root against that poster's happiness.

People like and hate teams mainly based on how they treat drivers, or which drivers they hired, but there are exceptions to this.

This is a good approach to life in general.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

In Autosport Plus there's a good interview with Ross Brawn. One quote from it landed like an anvil though, at least to me, regarding Schumacher:

"In that part of his career..."

As careful as Brawn is with his words, I wondered if this was a commentary on Michael's return to Mercedes. I remember being really surprised in 2010 that he seemed ill-prepared at one or two races, particularly Malaysia with regard to tyre choice. Schumacher of all people - the model of teutonic preparation.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It always felt like testing and development restrictions neutered Michael's USP more than just age related fade alone.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Khablam posted:

It always felt like testing and development restrictions neutered Michael's USP more than just age related fade alone.

Definitely some of that. I didn't think it was age at the time, but I did wonder if he thought he would come back and light everyone up, plus he appeared to have hobbies like his bike racing, which was definitely a new thing.

That being said there were a few races where it was very much the old Schumacher.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Sulman posted:

Definitely some of that. I didn't think it was age at the time, but I did wonder if he thought he would come back and light everyone up, plus he appeared to have hobbies like his bike racing, which was definitely a new thing.

That being said there were a few races where it was very much the old Schumacher.
Like when he tried to put Boobens into the pit wall.

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!
So Brundle had a minor heart attack on the way to the Monaco Grand Prix podium last year, which was the reason he missed the Canadian Grand Prix.

A couple of weeks later he raced in a Le Mans support race, qualified on pole and finished second!

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Daveh posted:

So Brundle had a minor heart attack on the way to the Monaco Grand Prix podium last year, which was the reason he missed the Canadian Grand Prix.

A couple of weeks later he raced in a Le Mans support race, qualified on pole and finished second!

Great, another story to add to his repertoire :|

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

enri posted:

Great, another story to add to his repertoire :|

Hey at least it's a new one.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Daveh posted:

I'm of two minds about this. On one hand no more Brundle commentary if he did die, on the other we would've probably had Crofty as lead commentator.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Khablam posted:

Those restaurant review videos he did were kind of noteworthy, if only because they were so weird.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Khablam posted:

Pascal's an unproven dick, there's really no other alternatives.

You can bet they made some inquiries about both Red Bull drivers, Vettel and Alonso but once that was clearly impossible who else is there?

You can bet though, when they announce Bottas, that whether they tell us or not that's a contract with a 1 year break clause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

1500quidporsche posted:

.....on the other we would've probably had Crofty as lead commentator.

Do not ever say this, even in jest

• Locked thread