Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Strawberry Panda posted:

drat, everyone loves Giannis.

A 3 guard starting line up would be interesting...

Giannis is actually receiving the same sort of nationalism-boosted vote as Zaza (Greece loves their boy), but nobody's got their dander up about it because he deserves to be an all-star anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

NotWearingPants posted:

This is the best:

the tiny boy in that picture is 6'2". Joel Embiid is a giant from the ancient legends.

Juaguocio posted:

The guy who runs the Wilt Archive on Youtube looked at unofficial records of Wilt's blocks and figured he probably would have had at least 120 triple doubles if they were recorded at the time.

Wilt's the only guy to ever record a double triple double (20-20-20), he definitely had several quads, and I've even read that he had a quintuple one time during the 1968 season.

The NBA is full of Giants from the Ancient Legends

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tae posted:

2016 sucks now, but it can eventually turn around like 2013 and produce some all-stars/DPOY candidates in....what, 5 years hopefully? Lebron will be gone by then, new NBA to mess around in.

In five years LeBron will have just turned 37 and will probably be on the way to his 12th straight finals.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

attackmole posted:

I'm not much into college basketball so I'm probably not the best guy to think about these things, but this draft doesn't quite have the abject stench that the 2013 one did. It feels to me that there was a lot of emphasis this year (moreso than usual) on taking guys with potential and then trying to build them up. It's kinda like back when people were drafting high school players, except these guys are one year removed from that. I mean obviously one and done is always a thing, but guys like Towns and Okafor are players with NBA ready bodies and skills even after one year. This year most of the one and done's/young international players look like projects. Ingram looks weaker than lots of high schoolers. Jaylen Brown was probably drafted with the intention of teaching him how to shoot, and that's a long term thing. Bender was playing 10 minutes a game in the Euroleague and looks like a stick (fun fact: he's 1/6 on free throws on the year), there was no way he was gonna contribute his first year.

I mean, of the one and done guys in the top 10 (excluding Simmons), the only ones who looked like they might be ready to contribute in their first years are Murray and Chriss. Murray hasn't found his shot in the NBA yet but looks like he's got potential, and Chriss just seems like a weakass who gets owned constantly (though this is not uncommon with rookies).

Hield and Dunn look like the weak spots tbh as four year players who are having trouble transferring over. I mean obviously the NBA is a way harder game and lots of rookies suck rear end, but neither of them are really blowing away any of the 'potential' picks in the same draft area where normally you'd expect them to adjust a little quicker. Was Dunn just picked so high because the draft was weak on PG's? He was at 5 and the next PG wasn't drafted until Wade Baldwin at 17. Meanwhile Hield's a relentless chucker but seems to have become functional over the last month? By and large evaluating rookies over their first half of the year is probably a garbage metric but hey I've got the free time to overspeculate about NBA on the internet so here I am.

Dunn was projected to be an all around starting caliber NBA pg, can operate the pnr, shoot decently, passed pretty well but nobody was sure because his team was bad, pretty good athlete, etc, not a superstar, and pgs are never good as rookies, when they are, it's an anomaly, I wouldn't worry about him. He only really played 2 seasons because of I think a shoulder problem when he entered college, he's not a 7 year starter like Brogdon.

We're roughly 2.5 seasons away from being able to judge this rookie class in any real way, it takes a while to become an NBA player

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 12, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He's either a bench quality player or arrested by steroids by then, because 10 finals in a row is impossible for a human body

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
ROFL Philly sports radio is talking about playoffs

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
gently caress off Wade, let Demar or Isiah in

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Here's a take, I think the Sixers make the playoffs before the Timberwolves do
You're welcome

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
LeBron will receive the fan vote until he retires, just like Kobe.

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if the NBA just secretly throws away the fan vote and uses jersey sales to decide who gets in. I'd like to see how Giannis is doing on that front, but I kinda think it might not be that great (yet...)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tae posted:

10 finals in a row is impossible for a human body

I fail to see how this applies to LeBron

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also Saric is kind of bad.

He's also a rookie who can barely speak the native language and just moved to the US. If he was anything but bad compared to NBA vets, that would be amazing. He's been steadily improving though. He looked completely lost when the season started, but now he's actually serviceable on the floor.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
nm I was lovely about McDermott.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

EvanTH posted:

the tiny boy in that picture is 6'2". Joel Embiid is a giant from the ancient legends.

Joel made Noah look like a SF last night.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The best case scenario is a player going from barely playing to all-star caliber like Jimmy Butler and Mccollum*

*This does not apply to the Kings. They drafted all the centers and none of them will work out

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tae posted:

2016 sucks now, but it can eventually turn around like 2013 and produce some all-stars/DPOY candidates in....what, 5 years hopefully? Lebron will be gone by then, new NBA to mess around in.

Will Lebron be gone in 5 years? He'll be 37. It doesn't seem crazy that he'd still be playing by then.

e: I'd imagine if Lebron has the chance to pass Malone for points and Magic for Assists he sticks around for a long time.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 12, 2017

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Paul Zuvella posted:

Will Lebron be gone in 5 years? He'll be 37. It doesn't seem crazy that he'd still be playing by then.

e: I'd imagine if Lebron has the chance to pass Malone for points and Magic for Assists he sticks around for a long time.

drat Lebron is likely to pass Shaq in points this year and Dirk, Moses Malone and Dr. J next year.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Paul Zuvella posted:

Do players actually care about that stuff? I mean it's nice and all and I'm sure they're glad when they hear they're up there but I'm skeptical. I guess Kobe's insane so it seemed more plausible when people were like "KOBE'S GONNA STICK AROUND TO GO FOR THE POINTS RECORD" but I have a hard time imagining normal athletes caring about chasing numbers versus chasing championships, especially if they've already had an insanely successful career.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

Sabonis has had a few nice games (as recently as the 1st quarter of the Denver game) taking his open 3s and punishing smaller players in the post, but other teams aren't defending him much and he's still too timid to make them pay. You can see the wheels turning in his head when he catches at the top of the key. His defense and fouling have improved, but he's still clearly the worst starter. Adams would benefit from having another rim protector who can rotate and switch alongside him, and Grant fits the bill. I don't think starting Grant will damage the Thunder's spacing too much--teams are already letting Sabonis shoot wide open 3s at will. They've been closing games lately with Grant at the 4 anyways, might as well make that change to the starting unit as well.

The Thunder, like many teams, badly need a combo forward who can shoot and hang on defense. Kanter and Joffrey play a bunch of 4 for questionable reasons. Roberson's a little too lanky, and it's a waste to have him guard stretch 4s. Grant's the natural fit right now.

Sabonis is playing well enough that he should at least be playing for the Thunder. You really only D-league guys who are getting embarrassed out there, or if you're a team that's contending and still are trying to develop a rookie (and even this hasn't proven effective).

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

attackmole posted:

Do players actually care about that stuff? I mean it's nice and all and I'm sure they're glad when they hear they're up there but I'm skeptical. I guess Kobe's insane so it seemed more plausible when people were like "KOBE'S GONNA STICK AROUND TO GO FOR THE POINTS RECORD" but I have a hard time imagining normal athletes caring about chasing numbers versus chasing championships, especially if they've already had an insanely successful career.

I care about it when I play video games so I assume it's the same in real life.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i would guess that if LeBron falls off a cliff like Kobe did he won't stick around for three more seasons like Kobe did because he probably has more substantial post-NBA business or political ambitions

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Lots of players care a whole lot about their ratings in Madden/NBA 2k/etc. Lots of players care very specifically about their own stat lines, to where Ricky Davis will try and intentionally miss on his own basket to grab a rebound for a triple double. I imagine an actual major achievement that gets its own Sportscentre segment and will be featured in your documentary would weigh heavily in the minds of many players.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

YO MOUNTAINVIEW WHERE YOU AT ITS RICKEY DAVIS CHAT TIME

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Keep in mind that even if LeBron declines heavily playing wise he's still going to get a monster contract that exceeds what he got in his MVP days and he'll still probably benefit marketability wise from sticking around a few extra years.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Lots of players care a whole lot about their ratings in Madden/NBA 2k/etc. Lots of players care very specifically about their own stat lines, to where Ricky Davis will try and intentionally miss on his own basket to grab a rebound for a triple double. I imagine an actual major achievement that gets its own Sportscentre segment and will be featured in your documentary would weigh heavily in the minds of many players.

I am 2K Rondo, frequently sabotaging my own team when we are down 7 because I'm hunting that 10th assist and keep turning it over.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

attackmole posted:

I don't know about career records, but this very season we have two graphic examples of players chasing triple doubles. Watch the 4th quarter of a OKC or Houston game when Russ or Harden are at 9 rebounds, you'll see them almost murder a teammate for that rebound.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spring Break My Heart posted:

There was that time when Dwight bitched and moaned at whoever makes NBA 2K for only giving him like 8 out of 10 on dunking and they actually went and changed it and it was the most Dwight thing ever.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I would probably bet money that at least Pop and Thibs ban their players from playing NBA 2k out of fear that they'll pick up bad habits from the game's wonky defensive AI.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

dokmo posted:

I don't know about career records, but this very season we have two graphic examples of players chasing triple doubles. Watch the 4th quarter of a OKC or Houston game when Russ or Harden are at 9 rebounds, you'll see them almost murder a teammate for that rebound.

Oh yeah, I'm sure they do that, I'm just not as sold on that kind of stuff for career stats. Short term rewards versus long term rewards. Do I wanna get that last rebound/assist for the triple double HELL YEAH GIMME THAT poo poo. Do I wanna plan out the final three years of my career to be a major option on a team so I can chase a scoring/assist record after I already have 3+ championships? Ehhhhhh, less sure people actually do that.

I'm sure if a player hear's they're 30 off beating someone's point record they're ready to start chucking that game, I'm just kinda skeptical that people do it as a long term goal. But I'm just being a dipshit armchair psychologist here so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if I was totally wrong.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

attackmole posted:

I'm sure players stick around if they are close to records. The most recent ones I can think of are Kobe making sure he passed Jordan and Nash hanging on for his last assist.

Slightly smaller scale but one of the best current examples of a player caring too much about his stats is Kevin Durant refusing to take full/half court shots because he doesn't want to hurt his percentages.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Shane Battier used to not do end of quarter heaves because it would affect his FG%

Granted Shane Battier is loving Shane Battier.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
New All-Star voting format in 2018:

Not Zaza
Not Zaza
Not Zaza
Not Zaza
<obligatory Embiid vote>

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

chunkles posted:

Shane Battier used to not do end of quarter heaves because it would affect his FG%

I think it was the other way around

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/TheVertical/status/819671247441297408

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/referees-assert-nba-is-allowing-mark-cuban-to-wield-power-over-them-via-threats-and-intimidation-220902762.html

Ref's Union just declared war on Cuban.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

chunkles posted:

The pretty commonly rumoured for a lot of players actually. Usually you wait to hear the buzzer before going for the heave anyways so you can go *welp I tried* but not have it count against your FG's.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

quote:

“No other owner has communicated to our members with such force that he exercises control over their careers. He has communicated that he played a pivotal role in the termination of Kevin Fehr, a referee who met league performance standards. He has communicated to an NBRA board member, during contract negotiations, that the referees would continue to be at-will employees.He has told a referee, during a game, that he follows that referee’s game reports."

Lol Cuban is such a loving turd.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

chunkles posted:

Tons of guys do that. They just hide it better, by taking an extra dribble so they get the heave off jusssssst after the buzzer.

Curry may be the only one who legitimately does not give a drat. Seems like he takes about 5 times as many of those hail mary shots as anyone else.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Lol Cuban is such a loving turd.

on the other hand Scott Foster and Tony Brothers

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

After 06 I can't blame Cuban.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Wouldn't an Ayn Randian ubermensch just make his own league with better referees anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Cuban is pretty much 95% right.

However he comes off as a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread