Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Is HunterxHunter really *that* good? I see it recommended all the time but the generic character designs make it seem really bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

these characters are both mass murderers

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
What show is dat

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Mederlock posted:

What show is dat

Hunter x Hunter

The Colonel posted:

these characters are both mass murderers

This kid is a badass assassin

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not really that much of a HxH fan, and while I "get it" wrt those gifs I'm not really sure it's selling the show all that much.

Hunter x Hunter is definitely incredibly unique as far as shounen fighting stories go. It's not exactly apples to apples but if I were to pick out *something* in that genre to scratch the JoJo itch it's probably the closest one you'll get. Togashi as an author does an excellent job of taking seemingly innocuous/goofy elements and combined them with downright dire and dark poo poo, with a lot of world building and unique ways to utilize the powers it prescribes to the characters.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't think that character designs are generally a good thing to judge a show off of tbh

hxh and jojo are easily the two best long running shonen anime by a wide margin

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

How many episodes should I watch to get a good feel for it? I just forced myself through the first episode, and it feels like a product of a random shounen generator.

ninjewtsu posted:

i don't think that character designs are generally a good thing to judge a show off of tbh

It's a visual art form, if the visuals are mediocre it's going to take a lot to make up for it imo. JoJo was great because the design was so far off the wall, and DiU excelled in its use of color.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the first three or so eps are basically nothing like the rest of the show at all

the real tone of the show gets established as the hunter exam gets going

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 12, 2017

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

AfricanBootyShine posted:

How many episodes should I watch to get a good feel for it? I just forced myself through the first episode, and it feels like a product of a random shounen generator.

It's a visual art form, if the visuals are mediocre it's going to take a lot to make up for it imo. JoJo was great because the design was so far off the wall, and DiU excelled in its use of color.

I was initially put off by it too, especially because I didn't like yu yu hakusho by the same author. It wasn't until a friend told me that the series has some amazing voice acting that I tried it out, and I ended up liking it. The artstyle never changes, but the character designs do get better (imo). However, if you still don't like the show overall by episode ~7, I don't think there's much of a chance of you liking it as a whole (although there are major tonal shifts throughout the show).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

JoJo ending has left a hole in my heart that I'm struggling to fill.

I'm looking for an anime that has a mix of brutal beatdowns intertwined with bizarre humor. I've seen Mob Psycho, One Punch man, Kill La Kill, and Gurenn Lagann. I'm allergic to moe and excessive fanservice (the fact that I finished KLK speaks volumes for how much I love over the top action and bizarre humor).

I'm thinking about watching Gintama but 200 episodes is waaaaaaay too much for me to deal with right now.

You might enjoy Psycho-Pass, which is a hysterically funny show that people sometimes fail to parse as comedy.

Is HunterxHunter really *that* good? I see it recommended all the time but the generic character designs make it seem really bland.

Yes. It's a weird, and in some ways rough and unpolished show -- it's constantly evolving as it goes and when the author gets bored of a particular concept he just abandons it immediately. Imagine if Jojo's Bizarre Adventure didn't do the generational thing and just used a rotating cast of characters instead.

(It's not quite as good as JJBA, but not much is.)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this is true, but generally i think of the actual animation as being the important factor there, rather than just character designs. but also good writing is so important to a good show and that's not something you'd be able to tell from character designs either.

i tend to look at character designs as something that can sell me on a show as being visually interesting, but aren't important enough to deter me from watching a show (unless the designs are like, super skeevy or something i guess).

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

It's hard to say, because the show goes through some large shifts and introduces new elements with each new arc. Like what a lot of people love is HxH's nen system, and it isn't properly introduced until 30 episodes in, and even then, it doesn't get really creative until the next few arcs where it gets more developed. Despite that, I also really loved the Hunter exams at the beginning as well, cause it's a fun set of tests that are themselves fairly creative and show off the scope of that world.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's difficult to say that you've gotten into the real "meat" of hxh until the yorknew auction arc, which doesn't happen until like 30 episodes in. i definitely don't expect you or encourage you to watch that much if you aren't feeling it! 5 episodes is probably a good stopping point if you still don't like it. the tone of hxh can change quite a bit depending on which arc you're in, but yorknew is where it starts really getting into the heavy drama and mixes the odd world, odd moral tone, and the established superpower system (which won't get introduced until like episode 23 or something) to create a fairly unique story.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anyone care to recommend a good action fantasy show with a woman protagonist?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
HxH is a slow burn but it's the best slow burn and oh my god does it deliver.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

Moribito!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Spiritus Nox posted:

Have you seen Yona?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

You've probably already seen The Twelve Kingdoms but if you haven't, get on that.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

devtesla posted:

Moribito!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

JoJo ending has left a hole in my heart that I'm struggling to fill.

I'm looking for an anime that has a mix of brutal beatdowns intertwined with bizarre humor. I've seen Mob Psycho, One Punch man, Kill La Kill, and Gurenn Lagann. I'm allergic to moe and excessive fanservice (the fact that I finished KLK speaks volumes for how much I love over the top action and bizarre humor).

I'm thinking about watching Gintama but 200 episodes is waaaaaaay too much for me to deal with right now.

Dragonball

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

Have you seen Yona?

I have not. Tell me more? I kind of bounced off Moribito.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Spiritus Nox posted:

I have not. Tell me more? I kind of bounced off Moribito.

Yona of the Dawn is basically a really satisfying story of character growth, of a sheltered princess learning how to kick rear end and take names. It does start a little slow, but the group dynamic is really fun too once they get together.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yona is an amazing Korean-themed fantasy/romance/action story about our titular main character roaming the countryside righting wrongs and wooing the hearts of all. The main cast is incredibly charming and it's so much fun seeing them interact with each other and kick butt. Yona in particular is one of the best MCs in that genre that I can think of at the moment, though she it might take a while before she does cool poo poo I don't really remember.

E: Catfish already said it but I will also second the Twelve Kingdoms rec

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 13, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Spice and Wolf isn't action most of the time (and is much better when it isn't) but gently caress it, I love that show, and Holo is still one of my favourite characters ever :3:

Though if you watch both that and Twelve Kingdoms you're going to be real sad about all the unfinished stories that you want to see the ends to so bad.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the early going on yona has her in complete shock and unable to act on her own at all

and then http://i.imgur.com/t7BO4Pa.mp4

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

some good killing intent eyes there, drat

i've been meaning to watch yona sooner or later, i think it's time i made it sooner

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

All right. I'll probably pick Yona up then. Thanks!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You've probably already seen The Twelve Kingdoms but if you haven't, get on that.

Twelve Kingdoms is easily my favorite fantasy anime. It also has an awesome soundtrack. It makes me sad that the anime just sort of stops suddenly and apparently there was more LN content.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
At least some of the 12K LNs are available in English, past the anime end. I think they may have stopped publication? What I read was pretty good, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, Tokyopop put them out. However I don't think they got past where the anime ends. There are some translations for some of the later books here though: http://eugenewoodbury.blogspot.com/2009/04/the-twelve-kingdoms-novels.html

To be honest though even they don't exactly fully wrap things up, the series at least last I checked hasn't had a full new book out in a while.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I only read official copies I borrowed from a friend, and there was non-anime stuff, so there's at least a bit more for those craving a 12K fix.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

I just watched the first two episodes of Yona, and drat is this a Fire Emblem game or what?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spiritus Nox posted:

Scrapped princess

Though the titular character isn't particularly actioney, her bodyguards certainly are

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Haha my brother let me tell you about the show that saved anime, kill la kill

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Butt slaps continue.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
time to arrest namtab for recommending somebody watch kill la kill before re: cutie honey

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

time to arrest namtab for recommending somebody watch kill la kill before re: cutie honey

Oh - I've been meaning to give that a try, too. Might just binge it at some point over the weekend since it's just the three eps.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

To be honest though even they don't exactly fully wrap things up, the series at least last I checked hasn't had a full new book out in a while.

Yeah it seems like the last one was published in 2013 and there may not be any more, despite it not being any sort of conclusion. It would be a huge shame if there are never any more, since it's easily my favorite fantasy setting ever.

One kind of minor thing I always thought was funny is how the Kirin supposedly know if a person will be a good king/queen, yet at least several leaders in recent-ish history in a world with only 12 countries have been genocidal lunatics in one way or another. Like, why in the world did Keiki think the previous Queen Kei would be a good ruler - she started expelling all the women in the kingdom within only a few years! The same goes the Kou and (I think) Hou kings, though I guess those can be rationalized as "they started out good and then became crazy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i need something that isn't very serious and has some really good action