Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Local peeps keep trying to get me into 40K. Smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Reportage!
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-4107598/Fantasy-games-miniatures-maker-Games-Workshop-sudden-sales-surge.html

I'm sure the company will unfreeze its employees salaries, hire some competent sculptors, ease up the abusive restrictions it places on independent stockists, expand its stores to include playing space, hire competent rules writers, begin playtesting its rules before release, lower prices on its most ridiculously expensive products, and restore the beloved setting that so many of its new license customers that bought Warhammer: Total War have just been introduced to.

Right?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I went into a Warhammer store to sell some bitz and they almost sold me on a GSC box

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Reportage!
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-4107598/Fantasy-games-miniatures-maker-Games-Workshop-sudden-sales-surge.html

I'm sure the company will unfreeze its employees salaries, hire some competent sculptors, ease up the abusive restrictions it places on independent stockists, expand its stores to include playing space, hire competent rules writers, begin playtesting its rules before release, lower prices on its most ridiculously expensive products, and restore the beloved setting that so many of its new license customers that bought Warhammer: Total War have just been introduced to.

Right?

you know personally I don't think theyre going to do any of those things Leperflesh

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Moola posted:

you know personally I don't think theyre going to do any of those things Leperflesh

but
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802686&userid=101756&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post468171180

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
they'll probably unfreeze employee salaries at some point. That doesn't seem like something a company can sustain forever

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

TheChirurgeon posted:

they'll probably unfreeze employee salaries at some point. That doesn't seem like something a company can sustain forever

I'm guessing you're european

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Business Gorillas posted:

I should have said "that doesn't seem like something GW can sustain forever." Obviously Walmart and McDonald's can, but even they're subject to increases in the minimum wage*

*will not apply for the next 8 years

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Business Gorillas posted:

Cowboys fandom spreading to Europe? :stonk:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Yay, I just realised this thread had been remade!

How goes the hams friends?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

kingcom posted:

Yay, I just realised this thread had been remade!

How goes the hams friends?

Since moving apartments I mostly just play Deadzone. Carrying around a whole army is a hassle.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I read the last 20 pages of the 40k thread and now my head hurts. At least I can now identify as a Death Threader who makes sculptors feel bad by not liking over engineered models, making me basically Hitler

Thirsty Dog fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 12, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Thirsty Dog posted:

I read the last 20 pages and now my head hurts. At least I can now identify as a Death Threader who makes sculptors feel bad by not liking over engineered models, making me basically Hitler

Hitler loved him some overengineered models. See also: German tanks.

if anything you're more like stalin is what i'm saying

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

That should have said the last 20 pages of the 40k thread.

Stalin was poo poo at posting too

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

Since moving apartments I mostly just play Deadzone. Carrying around a whole army is a hassle.

Is it possible to start Deadzone without buying the box set full of scrunts

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

All of the Deadzone stuff is also available a la cart.

Also the new box set is Enforcers and Plague, so no squats.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Is it possible to start Deadzone without buying the box set full of scrunts

Yes, but why wouldn't you want a box full of scrunts? :confused:

You can separately buy the rulebook with tokens and command dice, then get a pack containing a playmat and a small amount of the latest terrain, with an expansion book for good measure, or just buy the mat and add your own choice of battlezone terrain bundles, and then finally pick up your choice of faction starter, though if your choice is Asterians I'd hold off a bit, because I believe it's due for an update to include some of the new hard plastic Marionettes that had to be sent to Warpath backers first.

v You're right, I didn't even read it properly, hasn't been plague since the first box. Should really only be one power armour army in it though, they needed to make it one of them versus Veer'myn.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 12, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Is everyone crazy but me? Both Deadzone and Warpath are Enforcers vs Forge Fathers because Mantic realized that most people do not give a poo poo about their Alien/Genestealer/Body Horror knockoff.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Thirsty Dog posted:

I read the last 20 pages of the 40k thread and now my head hurts. At least I can now identify as a Death Threader who makes sculptors feel bad by not liking over engineered models, making me basically Hitler

I forgot how bad the 40k thread was

It's EXTREMELY bad

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I always thought they focused so much on Forge Fathers because they wanted to win the ex-GW player who sees Squats (and their squatting) as sort of a mascot for how GW is a bad company.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Drone posted:

I always thought they focused so much on Forge Fathers because they wanted to win the ex-GW player who sees Squats (and their squatting) as sort of a mascot for how GW is a bad company.

So basically squatting: bad, forging: good. Which is why gw tried to forge things with sigmar?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Drone posted:

I'm sure that's it too, but the previous Deadzone edition put way more emphasis on the Plague and they feel like an afterthought in the fluff now rather than the main focus and I'm totally cool with that because the Plague are stupid.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm sure that's it too, but the previous Deadzone edition put way more emphasis on the Plague and they feel like an afterthought in the fluff now rather than the main focus and I'm totally cool with that because the Plague are stupid.

Give it time, they were sidelined only because the hard plastic basic troops were part of the Warpath KS not the Deadzone one. Mantic is gearing up for a heavy Plague push this year. That is, unless you decide to kickstart the next edition this year too.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Give it time, they were sidelined only because the hard plastic basic troops were part of the Warpath KS not the Deadzone one. Mantic is gearing up for a heavy Plague push this year. That is, unless you decide to kickstart the next edition this year too.

Wait, a third Deadzone KS?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Wait, a third Deadzone KS?

No, in the Mantic thread we've been weighing the odds of another Warpath kickstarter depending on how the retail release goes. My theory is that they're going to do a kickstarter either way to get some plastic Rebs and Marauder models made but if Warpath and Firefight tank at retail then like they did with the second Deadzone kickstarter it will morph from just Rebs and Marauders to a "revised" edition of Warpath that basically just turns the game into Firefight with "mass battles" as part of an optional rules section.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Marauders, Rebs (if they can figure out a way to do it) and Nameless will get hard plastic stuff to replace some restic, and go with some surviving restic and the newer board game plastic stuff (I wonder if the older restic moulds can simply be used with the new BGP material?). Probably also get the Lancer MBT, the missing Asterian drones (Narsa, Spectra, Hidden Strike), and either a replacement for the Raptor, or a Marauder conversion kit for the Mule and Pelican, and maybe even a Rebs one too, though that's really starting to stretch "everyone looks the same". Nameless are about to get an alpha list for Deadzone based on the minis coming in Star Saga, so they're definitely next.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 12, 2017

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

So basically squatting: bad, forging: good. Which is why gw tried to forge things with sigmar?
You don't mix good with bad, only bad can result from that.
Therefore, GW should squat Sigmar.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
GW only makes good products friend

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Anyone for Snorks?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oof, it's hard to tell if the Thuuls are good models, the paint job is pretty bad. The Gigas look like lumpy blobs of play dough.

I like the tidal elementals, especially the sea creatures along for the ride.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mantic's studio paint jobs are about at the level that I paint. Which is fine for tabletop use but totally unacceptably bad for use as photography models for product sales. Seriously it's embarrassing.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
A lot about Mantic is, honestly, a bit embarrassing. Like they try for sure and they've made some apparently-good games that I have zero interest in, but they often seem like they're just kinda fumbling their way around. Of course, since they're basically "Bizarro GW" all they need to do is actually respect their customers to have the competitive edge...

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
mantic is a good but amateurish company. i don't think they were prepared for their level of success and they're having to work out moving from "dude-casting-minis-in-his-garage" to "holy-poo poo-our-game-took-half-the-warhammer-playerbase." i backed KoW2 for the rulebooks, dungeon saga, and warpath 2, and i've been mostly satisfied.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, they're a company with their hearts in the right place, that is open to adapting to change, and engaging with the community, and a bunch of other things that are good to be. But they're also sort of sadly incompetent in several areas, showing some slow but promising improvement, and I think they have a bright future.

But today, they're in this weird space where their competence as a commercial business is way behind compared to the scope of their sales and success.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Those models look like scrunt rear end

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Is that... good? I can't even tell anymore.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Mantic needs to hire better painters real fast.

How about some models with loads of detail you can't see because the entire armour's painted white, sure that sounds good. - some guy at mantic presumably

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

spectralent posted:

Mantic needs to hire better painters real fast.

How about some models with loads of detail you can't see because the entire armour's painted white, sure that sounds good. - some guy at mantic presumably

I seem to recall that they had a position available for an in-house studio painter a year or two ago and it seems like they hired whoever was willing to work for the lowest price they could legally get away with.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm actually totally fine giving Mantic the benefit of the doubt on sculpts. The vast majority of stuff I've gotten from them has looked good. But man is their studio painter trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mantic needs Angel Giraldez painting NMM and cel shaded minis for them. Their models are similar to Infinity's flat surfaces.

Then everyone like me will be disappointed in our paint jobs because we're not as good at blending.

• Locked thread