Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

ItsNotAGirlName posted:

Any suggestions for VR games? Wife just bought me a headset, but I don't know dick about anything VR related. Genre doesn't matter, I'll take a look at anything halfway decent. She got me a weird bluetooth controller too, one handed with a joystick and some buttons, if that matters at all.

Doom VR is really fun and would work with the controller you have, though you would need to find the WADs from somewhere. If you're looking for something lighter, Voxel Fly and VR Minecart are both about avoiding obstacles by moving your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Man, Force Arena is pretty crap.
Feels like you experience all that it has to offer within an hour.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Deakul posted:

Man, Force Arena is pretty crap.
Feels like you experience all that it has to offer within an hour.

I don't see the appeal of a MOBA where their creeps are stronger because they've spent more money.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Force Arena is one of those games where I might enjoy it if it didn't have that one huge deal-breaking flaw. I enjoyed Clash Royale for months, and the twist of having a hero/leader character that you move around could be fun. However, the art and the camera system makes it unplayable (for me) on my phone. If I had a tablet, I bet it would be a lot better, but with a 5" screen, the units are tiny and pixelated, and their designs are often very similar-looking. For example, the Dark Side's newbie tier units include 2 or 3 different stormtrooper units that all have similar-looking white armor, making it hard to tell them apart at a glance, and this is made worse when you play on the one starter battlefield that is a snow/ice setting :v:

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Force Arena is one of those games where I might enjoy it if it didn't have that one huge deal-breaking flaw. I enjoyed Clash Royale for months, and the twist of having a hero/leader character that you move around could be fun. However, the art and the camera system makes it unplayable (for me) on my phone. If I had a tablet, I bet it would be a lot better, but with a 5" screen, the units are tiny and pixelated, and their designs are often very similar-looking. For example, the Dark Side's newbie tier units include 2 or 3 different stormtrooper units that all have similar-looking white armor, making it hard to tell them apart at a glance, and this is made worse when you play on the one starter battlefield that is a snow/ice setting :v:

Yeah it's still awful trying to differentiate units on a bigger screen. They all look the same, the camera is shite, and you can't split push unless your hero moves to the other side of the map??

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Are you a fan of AMC's Into The Badlands? I know I am! Anyway, there's a new game for you to play.

It's a tap based beat 'em up that's actually quite fun but the game is loaded with F2P trappings.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

the auschwitz diet posted:

Yeah it's still awful trying to differentiate units on a bigger screen. They all look the same, the camera is shite, and you can't split push unless your hero moves to the other side of the map??

You can, just drag and drop the cards/units to where you want them to spawn. It's clunky though.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Force arena is a shittier clunkier version of clash royale. Don't play unless you are a star wars tragic.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
request for phone games which involve coding and/or logic tweaking to either solve puzzles or make ur toons badass

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

NPR Journalizard posted:

Force arena is a shittier clunkier version of clash royale. Don't play unless you are a star wars tragic.

I installed Clash Royale to confirm this and holy poo poo you are dead on. Uninstalled Force Arena SO FAST

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

coyo7e posted:

request for phone games which involve coding and/or logic tweaking to either solve puzzles or make ur toons badass

GLADIABOTS has you designing the AI logic for some robots to either kill other robots or complete missions. Might be worth a look.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

coyo7e posted:

human resource machine if you really like assembly

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Hello android gaming thread, I was wondering if their were any good clones of super off road made for this.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
You might want to check out the Reckless Racing series or the Mini Motor Racing games.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Do we have a Clash Royale clan?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Do we have a Clash Royale clan?

Clash Royale thread

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Rad

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.

coyo7e posted:

Theres also Spacechem mobile, and The Sequence (both have demo versions as well) for more of a puzzle vibe. They don't have you writing any code but its the same type of logic.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Has anyone put any effort into Fantasy War Tactics? I've played for a couple days and I'm enjoying it, but I want to make sure it holds up. I'm kinda surprised the only random draw stuff is equipment rather than characters. I wouldn't mind some sort of "gacha" system tied to a game this well made, but its scratching an itch so I'll take what I can get.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

New Leaf posted:

Has anyone put any effort into Fantasy War Tactics? I've played for a couple days and I'm enjoying it, but I want to make sure it holds up. I'm kinda surprised the only random draw stuff is equipment rather than characters. I wouldn't mind some sort of "gacha" system tied to a game this well made, but its scratching an itch so I'll take what I can get.

Come join the party : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751670

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Oh cool, thanks!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

New Leaf posted:

One of nexon's pledges from the start was all characters accessible free without gacha. They broke that once, with Seira in the noblesse crossover, and the fallout was so huge they've made crossover heroes easier to get, with pay packages for guaranteed good equipment and costumes.

If you really want to throw money at the game, rest assured that by the time you hit the endgame, the siren song of set equipment will sound for you, higher rank sets can get stupidly expensive. Between that and character packages and soul gear packages there are plenty of money sinks.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Dandy Dungeon is a new puzzle game/dungeon crawler from the creator of cult hit Chulip about a salaryman who stays at home making his own video game (which you play), adding more features and characters to it as he interacts with his neighbours.

It's really quirky and gets super weird at points but is also quite charming and self aware. I think its well worth checking out.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 18, 2017

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Not available in the US, it seems

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

mrkillboy posted:

Dandy Dungeon is a new puzzle game/dungeon crawler from the creator of cult hit Chulip about a salaryman who stays at home making his own video game (which you play), adding more features and characters to it as he interacts with his neighbours.

It's really quirky and gets super weird at points but is also quite charming and self aware. I think its well worth checking out.

Weird? From the makers of Chulip? No way!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

overseer07 posted:

Not available in the US, it seems

Guess they didn't want to bother translating it to English. :smith:

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Naw it's in English and it's in Canada, they just hate all y'all

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Guess they didn't want to bother translating it to English. :smith:

The game is in English (though I did get a notification in Japanese). It's apparently only available in Japan, Canada, Australia and Hong Kong at the moment.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 18, 2017

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
Been playing Dandy Dungeon for a few hours and it's really good. Dunno why they're rolling it out slowly like this though.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Since it looks like I'll be putting some time in Star Wars Force Arena, I finally decided to pull the trigger and look into an emulator for my PC, rather than juggling with my phone's memory.

I tried out BlueStacks at a friend's recommendation and was quite disappointed, both by the bloat/ads, and by the lack of usability (didn't let me increase the CPU, Galaxy of Heroes barely even started).

Now, someone had mentioned a good emulator somewhere, but I forget the name, and the OP is from 2015 (and for my use I'd rather have something more usable than purely powerful, so RetroArch isn't my first option). Is there a good, free Android emulator for PC?

VV: Thanks, downloading it now. :)

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 18, 2017

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Nox is your best bet for gaming. I think it defaults to 60 FPS, but make sure it's set to that in the options for a much better experience.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Nintendo just held a Direct to officially announce their new Fire Emblem for mobile which will be out February 2 (you can pre-register on Google Play now).

In related news, Super Mario Run will apparently hit Android sometime in March.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mrkillboy posted:

Nintendo just held a Direct to officially announce their new Fire Emblem for mobile which will be out February 2 (you can pre-register on Google Play now).

In related news, Super Mario Run will apparently hit Android sometime in March.

I really want to know about Animal Crossing :negative:

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Tom Nook only accepts US dollars now.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

It's not a perfect 1:1, but you might be interested in Seabeard, which hits a lot of the same notes.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Niton posted:

It's not a perfect 1:1, but you might be interested in Seabeard, which hits a lot of the same notes.

It's soooo slow and grindy though. I tried it for a bit and there's promise but the curve is miserable and just unfun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

It's soooo slow and grindy though. I tried it for a bit and there's promise but the curve is miserable and just unfun.

These were my thoughts exactly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Xtanstic posted:

I think you just described Animal Crossing

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Len posted:

I think you just described Animal Crossing

Seabeard had f2p poo poo all over the place. Maybe less than some other games, but it pales in comparison to Animal Crossing. Seabeard lacks the sheer customization and depth that AC has going for it, as well as the social aspects of it, too, something that Nintendo pulled off even on the Gamecube. Write letters to your IRL or animal friends, trade items, design your house and rooms as you'd like it, design your character, visit other villages, get rare items, collect everything for the catalog.

Overall, the point or 'end game' of these two is probably similar, but Animal Crossing has way more going on. I'm really, REALLY hoping that the upcoming mobile version is sold at a premium, rather than being F2P. That's a naive wish, but I'd buy it for sure. If they want to come out with optional add-ons later for a price, that's fine, but give me the base game at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Overall, the point or 'end game' of these two is probably similar, but Animal Crossing has way more going on. I'm really, REALLY hoping that the upcoming mobile version is sold at a premium, rather than being F2P. That's a naive wish, but I'd buy it for sure. If they want to come out with optional add-ons later for a price, that's fine, but give me the base game at least.

God animal crossing would be flipping perfect for mobile. I have a 3ds and that animal crossing but I just don't want to take my 3DS with me everywhere.

I wish they'd just bring it to mobile already. I'd also buy it in a second if it was a up front price. Hopefully at the worst just cosmetic upgrades you could buy? If I had to pay $ for a special looking sofa or whatever but could still complete the normal collections through gameplay that'd be fine with me too.