Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Even the cute ones try to kill you down undah, huh?

builds character posted:

:siren:Aprilia SXV 5.5:siren:

The best 5.5 minutes of your life before you gotta tear it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
even the cute furry poo poo in Oz is trying to kill you
edit: goddamn me not clicking to the last page

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
Don't they call them drop bears?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Coydog posted:

The DRZ seems about equal, for different reasons. It's been produced for decades, with little changes, and seems like it has AK-47 levels of reliability. I don't doubt that it is every bit as reliable as the WR, and wouldn't hesitate to circle the world on it either. Well maintained carbs are about as good as good EFI.

As a DRZ owner, if I had the choice between the two (as in: I didn't just buy the bike that I had been storing for a friend for cheap) I'd get the WR. Well-maintained carbs are fine but they sure go to poo poo quickly if you leave it for a bit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Once I unload my wife's Hawk GT

why would you ever do this :byodood:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 12, 2017

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
With regards to what is more reliable between the DR and the WR, it's gonna be the one that's more stock and cleaner. Unless you're buying new then they're the same.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

To get a good bike

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

PCOS Bill posted:

To get a good bike

Don't beg on this corner, boy.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

It's the wife's bike - she never rides it. I bought it about 5 years ago in sound mechanical but average cosmetic condition right after she'd taken the MSF and got her M certification. Since she shows no real interest in riding her own bike, I'm not gonna throw the money at it to get it restored, and in the meantime it's just eating up space in my garage.

Space that could be taken up by something way more versatile, like a sumo with a spare set of dirt shoes.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jazzzzz posted:

It's the wife's bike - she never rides it. I bought it about 5 years ago in sound mechanical but average cosmetic condition right after she'd taken the MSF and got her M certification. Since she shows no real interest in riding her own bike, I'm not gonna throw the money at it to get it restored, and in the meantime it's just eating up space in my garage.

Space that could be taken up by something way more versatile, like a sumo with a spare set of dirt shoes.

If you get me some pictures and a description I might be able to help you get it sold.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I'm gonna be getting a DRZ400sm and selling my Ninja 300 in soon. But I also want a second bike because highway.

Are there any sport-tours/comfortable bikes in general suitable for a rider with a years experience? Something like a VFR comes to mind. Also, Magnas, because V4.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You can ride a drz on the highway. The people who complain have tender hineys.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
lol just ride the loving drz. i've taken mine with a stock seat to death valley on knobbies from the bay area.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
if the stock 2x4 seat hurts your rear end that much just spring for a Seat Concepts seat, they're not crazy expensive

just go ahead and buy a loving hayabusa or zx14 or something so we can get to the laughing and finger pointing already

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Jazzzzz posted:

if the stock 2x4 seat hurts your rear end that much just spring for a Seat Concepts seat, they're not crazy expensive

just go ahead and buy a loving hayabusa or zx14 or something so we can get to the laughing and finger pointing already

S1000ZX14VFRRXR

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Wait, isn't there a clear progression from DRZ to a ZRX?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Space Whale posted:

Wait, isn't there a clear progression from DRZ to a ZRX?

If you don't know what regular maintenance and care is, yes.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Well, that's the thing, you abandon it in the desert and then go get a ZRX.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
lurk more you dildo.

You fully insure it then abandon it in the ghetto of americaland.

do get a drz

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

For real though go read Becktastic's posts about her trip. If she can ride from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego on a DRZ with some minor mods I think you can probably do the same and survive a couple hundred miles of slab.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I want two bikes and don't want two drzs :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
DRZ + SV650.

dehumanize yourself and face to goon bieks

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Aprilia RSV4 RF.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

builds character posted:

Aprilia RSV4 RF.

This is the right answer.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I loved my 6th gen VFR for the year I had it, but the FJR I bought to replace it is even nicer.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I eventually want something like that.

But I doubt that a 1.3L is sane for someone with a year of riding experience and a ninja 300 wrist.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Space Whale posted:

But I doubt that a 1.3L is sane for someone with a year of riding experience and a ninja 300 wrist.

I miss shifting at 10k rpm 1-4 to get up to 60mph.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Aprilia SXV 5.5

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Aprilia SXV 5.5

Every once in a while someone suggests something that isn't this, and I'm all like what are you, simple?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Space Whale posted:

I can't think of many lo-po sport touring bikes. BMW F800ST? Searching for 'F800ST vs' brings up the gsx650f so there's that too, apparently.

There's a lot of medium weight all road ish bikes though.
MT07 tracer, but it's probably too new. Buell Ulysses. F800GS. Tiger 800.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

captainOrbital posted:

Every once in a while someone suggests something that isn't this, and I'm all like what are you, simple?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

"Can you give me a ride, the transmission in my car blew up and my bike needs a new top end"

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Space Whale posted:

It's all good, by the time you listen to me you'll be ready for it.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

builds character posted:

It's all good, by the time you listen to me you'll be ready for it.

I'm allowed to want two bikes

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Space Whale posted:

I'm allowed to want two bikes
yes.
I have 2 of the same generation VFR800 and I wantI'm shopping for a third.
then again I'm going total Honda fanboy and looking to get an F4i and 954rr as well. Ideally all 3 would be in yellow.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Shadowlz posted:

I miss shifting at 10k rpm 1-4 to get up to 60mph.
Same. :( I don't know if I've even had my F4i above 10k yet. Just no need for it when riding in traffic without a death wish.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yes.
I have 2 of the same generation VFR800 and I wantI'm shopping for a third.
then again I'm going total Honda fanboy and looking to get an F4i and 954rr as well. Ideally all 3 would be in yellow.

I, too, want things that nobody wants to sell.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I just went to check out the XSR900. drat, it looks good in person! Unfortunately, the only brushed aluminum model they had was already kitted out with a full exhaust, I think 2Brothers. It was ungodly loud. They offered to swap the stock exhaust system back for free if I wanted the bike.

I don't know a lot about major bike maintenance. Is this something that would steer you away from a new bike?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

call to action posted:

So I just went to check out the XSR900. drat, it looks good in person! Unfortunately, the only brushed aluminum model they had was already kitted out with a full exhaust, I think 2Brothers. It was ungodly loud. They offered to swap the stock exhaust system back for free if I wanted the bike.

I don't know a lot about major bike maintenance. Is this something that would steer you away from a new bike?

Swapping exhaust on a naked is literally a 1 hour job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I'm not worried about the price (free) or wait, more concerned that swapping exhausts makes the bike more prone to failure, something they do to cut/modify makes the stock exhaust work less well, something along those lines.

The whole exhaust including headers is a one hour job? That's way quicker than I'd have thought.

call to action fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 14, 2017