Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
DS9 is really hetero, huh

Glamorama26 posted:

Efficient is a great way to describe M. Its like clockwork.

It's really astonishing. The bit where the gang members are crosscut with the cops is brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

DS9 is really hetero, huh

Not with that O'Brien/Bashir bromance, it ain't. Plus, if we're being generous, that Dax episode with the lesbian kiss. There's way too much male bonding in that show to make it all that hetero.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I was happy for a split second because this really cool girl I've been seeing is coming over to watch a movie tomorrow.

Then I found my dad's twitter.

Guess I'm not coming out to my parents any time soon :shepicide:

What would you come out about? not to put you on the spot but you only talk about dating girls and I assumed you were cisgendered dude.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Skwirl posted:

What would you come out about? not to put you on the spot but you only talk about dating girls and I assumed you were cisgendered dude.

His dad's a virulent heterophobe.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Skwirl posted:

just gals bein' pals

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

No son of mine is putting his penis in a vagina. I didn't raise no breeder.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
throwback thursday to the time i watched the entirety of The Martian on someone else's screen on a plane in total silence.

edit: ferengi women aren't allowed to wear clothes. we learn this in an episode where quark keeps telling his mother to take her clothes off.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 13, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skwirl posted:

You said that about Max Landis too, and honestly the only lesson anyone can learn from him is that having a wildly successful director as a father helps when when negotiating a pay check for a screenplay. If you can do that then definitely go for it, but that's not really an option for most people.

I should also point out that a general rule of thumb is 1 page of a screen play equals 1 minute and Max Landis films clock in at around 90 minutes, your Invader Zim fan fiction is 160 pages, get rid of all the exposition, re-read it and then only re-introduce parts of the exposition if another important scene makes zero sense without it.

It's not a 160 page Zim fan fiction by the way. Just to clear that up.

And there's probably only two scenes of actual exposition. Kinda need them. One is quite long, but it's also the most important thing in the script.

I think the script is so long because I describe the action scenes in detail. Every beat is written because those parts are important to me. I try and put in as much character as I can during those scenes. I couldn't really write 'And then a big action scene starts" because I need the action to be driven by story and character. The downside is an action scene ends up being 15 pages. It's just how I write. Trying not to do that so much, but it gets hard when you're really trying to lock down these action beats from your head.

Like my plan really isn't to shoot this thing off to Hollywood. I want to make it myself. Shoot a shorter test film, see if I can get someone interested to finance it, and just make it. That'd be waaaay down the road, but hey.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Glamorama26 posted:

Efficient is a great way to describe M. Its like clockwork.

On youtube too.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I am already speaking 'at your level.' There is no need for simplification. Perhaps only reiteration.

The tell in your description is in how you describe your film as a silly alien invasion film plot 'but really' it's about overcoming obsession. The truth is that, no, you have made an alien invasion story. That's the part to 'take seriously', lest you make another Almost Human.

(Please don't make another Almost Human.)

The robot apocalypse in The Terminator is firmly based on the logic of capitalism and schizophrenia. From there, you build up the characters - Sarah Connor as a beleaguered waitress who feels distant from her mother, and so-on.

That Connor is specifically a waitress and a daughter of a single parent is fairly unimportant. To say The Terminator is about a waitress estranged from her mother would be some glib reductionism. The story is 'about' Connor's fear of termination by her employer, and the idea that her family is 'part of the machine' and therefore dead to her. Crucial is this linking of the mother and the employer to the sci-fi threat, so that - through their combination - you end up with Connor as a fully-realized character who happens to be a paranoid schizophrenic.

Actually, the opposite interpretation is correct.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Skwirl posted:

Yeah that was a bit of a "Wait, what?" moment for me too.

Am I...heteronormative?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Interesting assumptions are made on the internet, I remember for a while people here thought I was a woman for some reason.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FreudianSlippers posted:

No son of mine is putting his penis in a vagina. I didn't raise no breeder.

i once knew this furry couple who were upset their son wasn't interested in animal people

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Skwirl posted:

Probably getting a switch now, but I have to say Mario interacting with normally proportioned humans is even more disturbing than Sonic the Hedgehog doing the same.

Good thing Sonic is going back to it's roots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ1SbHLXlH8

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Interesting assumptions are made on the internet, I remember for a while people here thought I was a woman for some reason.

I would be interested to know how often HUNDU has been assumed to be a white guy. Ditto any other CD regulars who aren't white.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Criminal Minded posted:

I would be interested to know how often HUNDU has been assumed to be a white guy. Ditto any other CD regulars who aren't white.

Presumably always.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Everyone is their avatar, factually.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

Everyone is their avatar, factually.

I should probably change my av to Tilda so it matches everywhere else including IRL

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Surprised Hundu seems white. He doesn't act white

E: American Werewolf in London doesn't hold up outside of key set pieces, its boringggggg

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Death By The Blues posted:

Surprised Hundu seems white. He doesn't act white
I'm not sure I ever assumed he was - white guys don't tend to have avatars from Belly, or talk about how much they love their old black grandmothers - but he was just the first poster I could think of who I explicitly know isn't white and I'm sure it's some percentage of posters who have made that assumption. Which, not judging, I've certainly been guilty of it with others.

It's weird how we're wired. Like, the NBA thread in SAS is one of my most-read topics on the forums and it's a safe bet that a significant percentage of those guys aren't white but gently caress if I know which ones!

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Oddly me too haha.

Maybe its the Raptors year *shrug*

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Criminal Minded posted:

white guys don't tend to have avatars from Belly

The current one? I think that's Paris is Burning.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CelticPredator posted:

It's not a 160 page Zim fan fiction by the way. Just to clear that up.

And there's probably only two scenes of actual exposition. Kinda need them. One is quite long, but it's also the most important thing in the script.

Okay fine, you wrote 50 Shades of Dib.
But you're super wrong about exposition being the most important thing, especially since you seem to care about "good characters"

All I'm saying, don't galtse your audience.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Belly is like, the whitest thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQJjUbMrt8w
:v:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

wyoming posted:

Okay fine, you wrote 50 Shades of Dib.
But you're super wrong about exposition being the most important thing, especially since you seem to care about "good characters"

All I'm saying, don't galtse your audience.

I meant the exposition for that scene is the most important thing.

But dang you're a dick.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Did somebody say Belly?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
One of my first epiphanies about being a white dude came when about three or four chapters into reading To Kill a Mockingbird in high school I realized Scout was a girl. If I recall correctly that's the first point at which any language specifically indicates this, and up til that point I'd just assumed otherwise. First time I really stopped to consider what it meant to assume white/male as the default, and whether people who weren't might hold the same assumptions or not.

Also IIRC Coffee is Bi or pan.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Budgie Jumping posted:

The current one? I think that's Paris is Burning.

Oh, nah, I meant his old one. Though I wouldn't have recognized his current one as being from Paris is Burning, which I haven't seen since college.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

I Before E posted:

Did somebody say Belly?

I googled this username and :lol:

uknowme173 posted:

i love how everyone talks poo poo on the $4000 gucci/margela leather outfits from the late 90s like yall couldnt even afford that poo poo lmfao . keep talkin poo poo in your pleather joggers , im out here bringin that late 90s heat back . fuk yall skinny poo poo

This is a man who is passionate about leather suits.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I meant the exposition for that scene is the most important thing.

If exposition is the most important part of a scene, that's a pretty underdeveloped scene. Exposition should be there but it should help serve thematic development or characterization instead of just being more boring plot.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Everytime he mentions being hot in the 90s, I image degrees, like oozing sweat in the summer.

pleatherjoggers4life

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

wyoming posted:

Everytime he mentions being hot in the 90s, I image degrees, like oozing sweat in the summer.

pleatherjoggers4life

That Benz must smell horrific.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
For twelve years now, you have been asking, who is this kid with the big head....

I Before E posted:

That Benz must smell horrific.

I mean, on top of his collection of heads in the pants.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Magic Hate Ball posted:

throwback thursday to the time i watched the entirety of The Martian on someone else's screen on a plane in total silence.

I did this a couple weeks ago, except it was Angry Birds and it had subtitles.

I just really wanted to sleep, but find it impossible to do on an airplane. Especially when I'm stuck in the middle seat.

One time I had the option of watching Frozen the same way or taking a sleeping pill. It was the worst, most restless sleep of my goddamned life.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well look, I'll post the script tomorrow I guess. I mean if it's bad, I'll know what to fix, specifically instead of just going by instinct.

I know for a fact you can cut down the description/actions. But I don't really want too.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jenny Angel posted:

Look, I'm not typically one to throw shade at SMG, I think he's a very insightful guy and his posts are a hoot to read. But the fact of the matter is that none of the found footage Youtubes I've seen him post over the years have come close to the power of this classic, and someone's gotta take him to task for that

This is my favourite piece of accidental filmmaking.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Actually "right" would be not writing an article about Weezer at all because who gives a gently caress about Weezer anymore?

They still have a pretty big and loyal fanbase for some reason.

Jack Gladney posted:

I just got coverage over the exchange two months ago. I am so afraid that I'll lose it that I really don't know what to do. Sometimes I wonder if this is what conservatives felt when the ACA was passed and kind of understand hatred of government, and then I think, "no, that doesn't make a lick of goddamned sense because they couldn't even articulate why it scared them."

You're looking at it from the perspective of someone who isn't a selfish misanthrope that has a burning hatred of poor people. That's why it doesn't make sense to you.

Criminal Minded posted:

Yeah that was a bit of a "Wait, what?" moment for me too.

Am I...heteronormative?

He's bisexual.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Time for me to come out about being uknowme173

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Time for me to come out about being uknowme173

What color is your Benz

Adbot