Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Also counterpoint: look across the Atlantic for a good example of what a country that undervalues and underpays its teachers looks like.

(Hint: It's not Canada)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Drone posted:

Also counterpoint: look across the Atlantic for a good example of what a country that undervalues and underpays its teachers looks like.

(Hint: It's not Canada)

Did you just try to convince me by appealing to my empathy with Americans? :v:

[I'm pretty sure that Americans in general still earn statistically significantly more than Germans, including teachers.]

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Vermutlich auch nur, weil die oberen Einkommen die Statistik verzerren.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

JaucheCharly posted:

Vermutlich auch nur, weil die oberen Einkommen die Statistik verzerren.

Still holds true when looking at median instead of average.

And if we allow for anecdotes I have a huge quotedumbs of BFC goons saying their 100-500k incomes are not much by American standards.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Randler posted:

Did you just try to convince me by appealing to my empathy with Americans? :v:

[I'm pretty sure that Americans in general still earn statistically significantly more than Germans, including teachers.]

More that if you think teachers should be paid less, there's a good country to point at as an example of the consequences that follow that :v:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I know so many Lehrer with extreme Absetzbestrebungen, sei es in die Promotion, sei es in die Lehrerausbildung, sei es in andere Berufsfelder. Apparently teachers start getting nightmares about a week before Ferienende. Heard horrible things about integrierte Klassen and Willkommensklassen too, a smattering of actually motivated people in a class of "16yolds" with grey hair and violence problems shittily hitting on you etc. I don't envy teachers at all.

This one time I called two Innenministerien and a I think the BKA? over the Kategorie "Sonstige" in the Politisch motivierte Kriminalitätsstatistik. It turns out that it's not a cool secret neither links nor rechts extremist movement that's behind those.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Sounds like a bunch of racist Wohlstandsbonzen afraid that their AfD and Realo votes might not stem the flood of ~*~the Other~*~ fast enough, which brings me back to my previous point:

Randler posted:

Lehrer und evangelische Pfarrer, die Keimzellen der Reaktion und des Faschismus

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

aphid_licker posted:

I know so many Lehrer with extreme Absetzbestrebungen, sei es in die Promotion, sei es in die Lehrerausbildung, sei es in andere Berufsfelder. Apparently teachers start getting nightmares about a week before Ferienende. Heard horrible things about integrierte Klassen and Willkommensklassen too, a smattering of actually motivated people in a class of "16yolds" with grey hair and violence problems shittily hitting on you etc. I don't envy teachers at all.

This one time I called two Innenministerien and a I think the BKA? over the Kategorie "Sonstige" in the Politisch motivierte Kriminalitätsstatistik. It turns out that it's not a cool secret neither links nor rechts extremist movement that's behind those.

Your posting style has evolved into a linguistic art form, I approve 👍

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Randler posted:

Still holds true when looking at median instead of average.

And if we allow for anecdotes I have a huge quotedumbs of BFC goons saying their 100-500k incomes are not much by American standards.

Guillotine.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

I dunno, me' mate. All my Lehrer friends have landed pretty nicely with cushy jobs, pay and working conditions. Better than a lot of other people.

Plus, I've worked several semesters as a Tutor and it was the chillest work ever. Once you have prepared a class/subject once, it was just the same poo poo over and over and over. One time I had to turn up still drunk from the night before and I don't think anyone even noticed or cared. :colbert:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :justpost:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

But seriously, Lehrer are cool. I can name more than enough cool Lehrer from my Schulzeit and most of the Lehrerpeople in my age-group are also nice and chill people.

Just joking around here. The only person itt who really hates lehrer is Randler and I would keep at least two Armslängen away from him, if you are teaching anyone anything for money.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Randler posted:

Lehrer und evangelische Pfarrer, die Keimzellen der Reaktion und des Faschismus

Hey, wenigstens wird bei uns Evangelen die Pädophilie weniger gerne gesehen.

Und, das erzkatholische Italien hat den Faschismus auch ganz alleine zu Stande gebracht. ;)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
So, genug Deutschland, genug gutes Bier, genug Umlaute auf dem Keyboard, ab zurück nach Arizona!

Welcher Idiot bucht schon nen Flug am Freitag, den 13.

Es ist ich.

Ich ist dieser Idiot.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So, genug Deutschland, genug gutes Bier, genug Umlaute auf dem Keyboard, ab zurück nach Arizona!

Welcher Idiot bucht schon nen Flug am Freitag, den 13.

Es ist ich.

Ich ist dieser Idiot.

Bin mal am 11.9. von New York abgeflogen. Feels strange man.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

As a Lehrer with nightmares and Absetzbestrebungen knowing that the end of the school year is months away yet (14. Juli), I can only say ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Edit: pay's decent though

Edit 2: Fffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckckckfkfk

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
The real problem isn't necessarily the many benefits Beamte get (although there is also that), it's that these benefits and their job security were offset by comparatively lower wages. Then wages in many industries stagnated over decades and suddenly Beamte get all the benefits and earn more than most people. We need to start paying other people more.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Just pay Beamten less and let them work more. Core part of the Beamtenstatus is that their Besoldung can be adjusted and that they are on duty 24/7. Also, stop making teachers Beamte.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Let us start this by paying you less, letting you work more and taking away your security so that we can spread the misery of postmodern existence evenly. Solidarität!

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Pay teachers according to their actual work quality and punish them if they try to spread their political ideology in the class room.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

GaussianCopula posted:

Pay teachers according to their actual work quality and punish them if they try to spread their political ideology in the class room.

By introducing a series of yearly, mandatory, and ever-changing standardized tests that are applied uniformly across large, vastly different geographic regions?

Ooh I know, let's also make mandatory curricula set by elected officials who certainly don't have any political agendas of their own!

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

Then wages in many industries stagnated over decades and suddenly Beamte get all the benefits and earn more than most people.

http://oeffentlicher-dienst.info/vergleich/entwicklung1/

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

GaussianCopula posted:

Let everyone spread their ideology as well as a class on statistics and logical fallacies. Raise pupils who can think for themselves and evaluate multiple beliefs, then choose. Kick GC in the balls.

I do agree with paying teachers more- my mother somehow paid for an international school for me, and between smaller classes, well-paid teachers and regular evaluations of teachers and curriculum (the evaluator comes, the inspection results must be posted publicly, the school must also publicly reply with a plan to address any issues, and a follow-up inspection checks the improvements have been implemented or the school loses its license) that place was paradise. Teachers were both competent (or were let go) and motivated.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Bruttolohnvergleiche sind bei Beamten methodisch verfehlt.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Ich liebe Beamtenbashing. Wenns der Wirtschaft gut geht macht man sich über all die Beamten lustig, die so doof sind für mikrige Gehälter in den Staatsdienst zu gehen. Ein paar Jahre später dann meckert man mal wieder darüber, dass es denen doch ach so gut geht und die soooo viele Vorteile haben und überhaupt gehört denen das Gehalt gekürzt und arbeiten müssen die sowieso länger, aber ach was rede ich hängt sie einfach alle auf.
Als Beamter seit 15 Jahren darf ich mal dazu sagen, dass ich in den Jahren Arbeitszeitverlängerungen aufgedrückt bekommen habe, Urlaubsgeld wurde ganz gestrichen, Weihnachtsgeld um 70 % gekürzt, Beihilfe wurde eine Selbstbeteiligung eingeführt und wenn es nicht gerade Nullrunden gab, reichten Erhöhungen gerade so zum Inflationsausgleich. Beförderungen gibt es wenn man Glück hat alle 10-15 Jahre. DieJustiz wird aber ja auch bewusst Kaputt gespart.

Wenn es Beamten ach so gut geht, dann frage ich mich warum zB eine bekannte verbeamtete Kollegin (gehobener Dienst) ohne eigene Schulden von Banken nicht mal mehr eine Baufinanzierung gestemmt bekommt.

elwood fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 13, 2017

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Ich denke Beamten geht es ganz gut, ich möchte ihr Gehalt weder steigern noch vermindern. Beamter sein hat viele Vorteile, also brauchen sie kein sehr hohes Gehalt. Aber so viele Vorteile sind es jetzt auch wieder nicht, dass man das mit Mini Gehalt ausgleichen müsste. Randler.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Randler posted:

Just pay Beamten less and let them work more. Core part of the Beamtenstatus is that their Besoldung can be adjusted and that they are on duty 24/7. Also, stop making teachers Beamte.

Driving wages down isn't going to help anybody. Agreed upon the rest.

GaussianCopula posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

As Randler said, Brutto comparisons are a bit useless here. Also, these look at only certain Tarifabschlüsse, which don't cover a lot of people. If we compare that to Germany on the whole, Beamte did very well for themselves, although the gap between them and other group has closed a little bit since 2010.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Lunar Suite posted:

I do agree with paying teachers more- my mother somehow paid for an international school for me, and between smaller classes, well-paid teachers and regular evaluations of teachers and curriculum (the evaluator comes, the inspection results must be posted publicly, the school must also publicly reply with a plan to address any issues, and a follow-up inspection checks the improvements have been implemented or the school loses its license) that place was paradise. Teachers were both competent (or were let go) and motivated.

Well, you can pay teachers more if you make sure that they are good teachers.

Also, not every Beamte is the same - Police officers have to be treated differently from teachers and civil servants.

As to that wage comparison: lol, pick the most successful industry and compare yourself to it.

az
Dec 2, 2005

im sorry gc your posting quality just isnt what we are loking for here and we will have to let you go

edit sorry not sorry

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

GaussianCopula posted:

As to that wage comparison: lol, pick the most successful industry and compare yourself to it.

Ah yes, Gesamtwirtschaft the most successfull industry indeed.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GaussianCopula posted:

I had teachers who would starve if they'd ever been payed by their actual work quality, others would have ended up being billionairs and quit, leaving us with the bad ones. I don't think this is sustainable.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

elwood posted:

Ich liebe Beamtenbashing. Wenns der Wirtschaft gut geht macht man sich über all die Beamten lustig, die so doof sind für mikrige Gehälter in den Staatsdienst zu gehen. Ein paar Jahre später dann meckert man mal wieder darüber, dass es denen doch ach so gut geht und die soooo viele Vorteile haben und überhaupt gehört denen das Gehalt gekürzt und arbeiten müssen die sowieso länger, aber ach was rede ich hängt sie einfach alle auf.
Als Beamter seit 15 Jahren darf ich mal dazu sagen, dass ich in den Jahren Arbeitszeitverlängerungen aufgedrückt bekommen habe, Urlaubsgeld wurde ganz gestrichen, Weihnachtsgeld um 70 % gekürzt, Beihilfe wurde eine Selbstbeteiligung eingeführt und wenn es nicht gerade Nullrunden gab, reichten Erhöhungen gerade so zum Inflationsausgleich. Beförderungen gibt es wenn man Glück hat alle 10-15 Jahre. DieJustiz wird aber ja auch bewusst Kaputt gespart.

Wenn es Beamten ach so gut geht, dann frage ich mich warum zB eine bekannte verbeamtete Kollegin (gehobener Dienst) ohne eigene Schulden von Banken nicht mal mehr eine Baufinanzierung gestemmt bekommt.

Geh doch streiken :smuggo:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

elwood posted:

Ah yes, Gesamtwirtschaft the most successfull industry indeed.

It is useful in this case, though. Plus, Beamte also cover a pretty wide range of income and qualifications.

I don't think we should pay Beamte less. The reason we're having this discussion in the first place is that after 1990 until like 2011, wages in many other areas stagnated or outright dropped. Due to their other benefits as well as the fact that the Beamte were protected from that development to a large degree, they became the center of attention for this. As I said before, I believe the solution isn't to poo poo on Beamte and just pay them less, it's to raise wages elsewhere. This is finally happening now and it's good.
Some other things are probably in need of reform simply because they don't seem financially viable in the long run - pkv and Pensionen come to mind. But just cutting them outright is obviously not a good reform, it'd have to be a gradual transition.

Also yeah I guess another reason is Lehrerbashing but that's just a dumb german tradition and not related to the point I was trying to make.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Actually do take away their pkv, nobody needs that and the Lehrerkinder have a hard time getting out when they finish their master's degree aged 35

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article161139307/Koelner-Polizei-korrigiert-Angaben-zur-Silvesternacht.html

quote:

Die Kölner Polizei hat ihre Angaben zur Nationalität der an Silvester am Hauptbahnhof kontrollierten jungen Männer korrigiert. Unmittelbar danach hatte die Polizei gesagt, es habe sich bei den 650 überprüften Personen überwiegend um Nordafrikaner gehandelt.

Zwei Wochen später ergibt sich nun ein anderes Bild. Demnach stammten die überprüften Männer zu einem großen Teil aus dem Irak, aus Syrien und Afghanistan, aber nur zu einem geringen Teil aus Nordafrika.

Insgesamt kamen nach Polizei-Angaben vom Freitag in der Silvesternacht etwa 2000 „nordafrikanisch beziehungsweise arabisch aussehende junge Männer“ zum Kölner Hauptbahnhof und zum Deutzer Bahnhof. Die Polizei nahm 2500 Überprüfungen vor, wobei es aber vielfach um dieselben Personen ging, zu denen mehrfach Daten abgefragt wurden.

Insgesamt ermittelte die Polizei die Identität von 674 Personen. Davon konnte bisher bei 425 Personen die Nationalität festgestellt werden. Von diesen 425 waren 99 Iraker, 94 Syrer, 48 Afghanen und 46 Deutsche. 17 waren Marokkaner und 13 Algerier.

Bei den Überprüften handelte es sich um andere Männer als Silvester 2015. “Bisher haben wir keine Überschneidungen feststellen können“, hatte der Kölner Polizeipräsident Jürgen Mathies der „Kölnischen Rundschau“ am Donnerstag gesagt. Die Polizei untersucht derzeit in einer Arbeitsgruppe, warum die Männer nach Köln kamen. Dazu sollen unter anderem die Personalien herangezogen werden.

In der Silvesternacht vor einem Jahr war es am Kölner Hauptbahnhof zu zahlreichen sexuellen Übergriffen und zu massenhaften Diebstählen gekommen. Die meisten Verdächtigen waren Nordafrikaner. Dieses Mal war die Polizei mit 1700 Beamten vor Ort. Es wurden nur sehr wenige Delikte angezeigt.

Loving this: "Die Polizei untersucht derzeit in einer Arbeitsgruppe, warum die Männer nach Köln kamen." ich vermute mal, um zu feiern, ihr eier

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Given that they came in huge enough amounts that border police saw fit to warn Köln police, and all the way from France to Köln, with Paris being closer or equally distant from any given point in France, it's worth looking into it.

At least the idiocy about profiling has died down.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
You lost that argument the last time we had it. Just because as it turns out our police are very bad at racial profiling ("Wie ein Nordafrikaner aussieht, das weiß man", lmao) doesn't make this not profiling.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
And botany knows a thing or two about losing arguments re: security policies.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Randler posted:

And botany knows a thing or two about losing arguments re: security policies.

:chanpop:

gg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

botany posted:

You lost that argument the last time we had it.
Err, no? With some knowledge about what happened, how the demographics on the ground looked like, and what orders the police had, it was quite clear that it was only incidental that it looked like racial profiling. Do you not remember that post?