Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I see music by ACE and a really nice aesthetic

Shame about those character designs though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It's time

Let's go back home and be a Monado boy one more time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Characters are full anime and not the :stonk: design of XCX too from the looks of things.

Here's a higher res version of the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zKmlqSssog

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm glad a new game is coming up but that poo poo is ugly

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sad robot girls.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
In shulk's newly created universe, everyone and everything is anime.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tipme posted:

What else would there be in the universe crafted from the mindscape of a nerd

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm pretty conflicted by this announcement, mostly because I'm one of the small number of people that liked XCX more than XC overall, and felt it would turn out amazing with a sequel that smoothed out the bad parts of it.

Mostly I'm just sad that since they went back to the original setting it probably means we won't get mechs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm pretty conflicted by this announcement, mostly because I'm one of the small number of people that liked XCX more than XC overall, and felt it would turn out amazing with a sequel that smoothed out the bad parts of it.

Mostly I'm just sad that since they went back to the original setting it probably means we won't get mechs.

There will be mechs.

Literally every Xeno game has mechs, even if just in the form of the Mechon as the enemies in XC and XC hitting a ton of mecha anime beats. Tetsuya Takahashi loving loves mecha anime.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Casual reminder that xbc is about that anime when you flip back to Japanese

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tipme posted:

Bring god back

The only constant is ACE+ and thank loving god they brought them back. Anime style looks laaaaaaaaaaame but I'll get over it.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Casual reminder that xbc is about that anime when you flip back to Japanese

I'm cool with anime as long as it's not XBX's weird potato people and Knuckles raps.

I will miss the alien environments though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Unless they fired everyone involved with the script of Xenoblade X its gonna be really bad :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Unless they fired everyone involved with the script of Xenoblade X its gonna be really bad :(

Hint: The same people who were involved with Xenoblade X were involved with Xenoblade regular. They didn't have a different development team.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I want the XCX music team back, though. Unironically.

When I learned how to embrace it for what it was, it made the game so much better

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

thanks alot assbag posted:

When I learned how to embrace it for what it was, it made the game so much better

I love the music for the whole series honestly. Just fantastic people and good work

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

thanks alot assbag posted:

It was one guy and he needs to stick with his tv anime trash and let real musicians deal with the video game anime trash

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

and you should get dumped into the trash

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Motto posted:

and you should get dumped into the trash

yeah well I'm right his music is trash considering they're bringing back the OG composers.

Noticed the Nopon in the trailer, wonder if they're borrowing the Xeno name for this game or actually making it a sequel.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Hint: The same people who were involved with Xenoblade X were involved with Xenoblade regular. They didn't have a different development team.

I'm playing through the first Xenoblade now and while I like it a lot more than X, the script is still incomprehensible garbage.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ImpAtom posted:

I know they didn't, though the quality of the writing was so drastically different I have trouble believing it. I'd like to think they could do better again but its hard for me to be optimistic.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

I love the music for the whole series honestly. Just fantastic people and good work

XCX music was definitely not for me but I know some people like that sort of thing. The tracks without Engrish vocals were good for the most part.

Also the LA nighttheme is burned into my brain so now I have a weird fondness for it. :yeah: :yeah:

Tender Bender posted:

I'm playing through the first Xenoblade now and while I like it a lot more than X, the script is still incomprehensible garbage.

Oh I'm not saying Xenoblade is high art but its way better written than Xenoblade X is. Notably you're given reasons to actually care about the people you'll be spending the entire game with as opposed to X throwing 20+ party members at you and only 2 of them mattering.

Eh, who am I kidding. Its way to early to judge this. The character design makes me instinctively recoil from it but it could be solid depending on what was learned from X. Or utterly dreadful. We'll see.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

There will be mechs.

Literally every Xeno game has mechs, even if just in the form of the Mechon as the enemies in XC and XC hitting a ton of mecha anime beats. Tetsuya Takahashi loving loves mecha anime.

I obviously mean playable ones. Mechs as enemies are cool and all but if I can't pilot a mecha it's officially a downgrade from X, even if the mecha combat was somewhat bland in it.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I know they didn't, though the quality of the writing was so drastically different I have trouble believing it. I'd like to think they could do better again but its hard for me to be optimistic.

The writing team wasn't that different.

XB
Concept: Tetsuya Takahashi
Game Design: Koh Kojima
Scenario:
Tetsuya Takahashi
Yuichiro Takeda
Yurie Hattori

XBX
Scenario:
Yuichiro Takeda
Mamoru Ohta (co-directed XB's cutscenes)
Kazuho Hyodo

Hyodo was the only newcomer. People were worried about him before release (his other writing credits are the reviled Gundam Seed Destiny and Gundam AGE), but I'm not sure how many of the flaws can be pinned on him. Takahashi's reach often exceeds his grasp and it feels like we got a reverse-disk-2 scenario where they had no idea how to fit the story vision to the gameplay vision.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
For me the coolest thing about xenoblade was the world itself, being able to look at bionis and mechonis from many points of view, and the consistency of it all.

Looks like they're doing a similar thing with the huge Yggdrasil and Jormungand there. Having a huge rear end snake circling around the planet and a huge rear end tree in front of it is just my thing.

Also I sorta understand where they are coming from with the weird faces. To me, they are slightly SD to account for all the gameplay on a smaller screen like the switch. If you played xenoblade on the 3ds you'll know how tiny things are there.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 13, 2017

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Thank god they're making a good Xenoblade now.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting really hype with the tree and serpent thing. If they follow that same "you'll end up going everywhere" philosophy like in xenoblade, I can't wait for stages where you're walking on top of the serpent while spinning around the world.

Or being at the top of the tree and seeing the full trajectory of the serpent.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The trailer would have been ten times better if the last shot was just the sword sticking out of the ground, instead of the guy standing next to it.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
First thing I'm gonna do is give the MC some less lovely looking pants. The faces look fine to me but loving anything will after X.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Louisgod posted:

yeah well I'm right his music is trash considering they're bringing back the OG composers.

He's more likely just busy because he gets a lot of tv and anime work too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So does that mean we're not going to find out what happened and how the end game came to be?

That's sort of a shame, I'm curious.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It looks like a Tales game or something tbh.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Microcline posted:

The writing team wasn't that different.

XB
Scenario:
Tetsuya Takahashi
Yuichiro Takeda
Yurie Hattori

XBX
Scenario:
Yuichiro Takeda
Mamoru Ohta (co-directed XB's cutscenes)
Kazuho Hyodo

Hyodo was the only newcomer. People were worried about him before release (his other writing credits are the reviled Gundam Seed Destiny and Gundam AGE), but I'm not sure how many of the flaws can be pinned on him. Takahashi's reach often exceeds his grasp and it feels like we got a reverse-disk-2 scenario where they had no idea how to fit the story vision to the gameplay vision.

Xenoblade Chronicles had more hands-on involvement from Nintendo since it was Monolith Soft's first big RPG as an internal Nintendo developer. Hitoshi Yamagami's group from Nintendo was brought in since Monolith Soft wasn't used to delivering a vertical slice of the game and using it as a template for the rest of the game.

For example, Yurie Hattori worked on the script of the first Xenoblade game. She told the development team at Monolith Soft that a guy touching a sleeping girl's cheek is kind of creepy.

Iwata Asks posted:

Takahashi: This was initially a scene where Shulk touched her cheek to communicate his feelings for her. But Hattori-san pointed out that suddenly touching a woman's cheek while she's asleep could be construed as being a little creepy.

Hattori: Well, the two of them aren't lovers, after all. That's why I thought it would be a little surprising for someone you weren't in a relationship with to suddenly touch your cheek while you were sleeping. It would spoil the innocent, naive nature of their love, and would make you think, "wait! Shulk's being a bit forward, isn't he"' (laughs)

Takahashi:
I felt she had a point, and in the end we modified it so that he holds her hand. There were various cases like that, which was really interesting.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe they can take another leaf out of Tales book and actually have decent combat too.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Okay, so hear me out: Brave and Default

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe they can take another leaf out of Tales book and actually have decent combat too.

Tales combat takes forever. Please don't go into the usual jRPG thing of having combat being a separate thing, I like it being on the map.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm playing through XBC for the third time (on N3DS) and the combat is solid but needs something more strategic to keep battles engaging. I feel like the elements are there (break, topple, daze, back attacks, side attacks, etc.) but things like the Monado Arts, while a good idea, could either be brute forced out of the situation via other means, were useless if you weren't exclusively playing Shulk, or were meaningless after you buffed Melia to hell and back.

Foot combat was an absolute mess in XBX thanks to the confusing and needlessly complex job and arts systems coupled with the insane augmentation system that was more overwhelming than helpful. Foot combat also became immensely pointless once you got a mech and the times you were forced to do ground combat (like in caves), it was an act in frustration as leveling up didn't help much.

Really hope XB2 sticks with on foot combat and it's engaging.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'd like to see them have character skills that matched or transferred to mech skills, really. X had this weird thing where you had a skell build and a ground build that had nothing to do with each other and then class talents for each that you had to take separately (or ground equipment for piloting skells).

The fact that skell combat was less interesting in many ways yet took over the endgame both exacerbated and was exacerbated by that problem. I want to use my giant lightsaber! I've been building for it all game!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Caphi posted:

I'd like to see them have character skills that matched or transferred to mech skills, really. X had this weird thing where you had a skell build and a ground build that had nothing to do with each other and then class talents for each that you had to take separately (or ground equipment for piloting skells).

I also felt there was an enormous amount of skills and loads of them were useless. Having to also decide what skills my companions use when I'm not really sure what's good or what they're using in the first place was a bit of an arse too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Taear posted:

Tales combat takes forever. Please don't go into the usual jRPG thing of having combat being a separate thing, I like it being on the map.

You're playing Taes games wrong if combat takes more than 30 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

You're playing Taes games wrong if combat takes more than 30 seconds.

I don't want engagement to take me to another place other than the main map. If it does I'm wasting time especially when I'm running away.
It's not too bad on older games where that loads quickly but otherwise I'm getting annoyed by my play being interrupted. I run by most enemies.

• Locked thread