Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's not watching his dad die, it's watching his dads example which is important. His dad dies trying to save a dog. He is the same to that dog as Clark is to the humans, completely superior, and no one would begrudge him leaving it in the car to save his own lif, but he does it because it's the right thing to do. That's what Clark really learns here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm watching Captain America: Civil War for the first time since seeing it in theaters, and Cap is seriously loving bugging me. Stark's no saint - if anyone's a good guy in this movie it's T'Challa who also steals the scene anytime he's on screen to begin with - but Cap is such a loving rear end in a top hat who thinks consequences and rules are things that happen to other people but never him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I felt like they had to make Cap a complete idiot so that they could fit them both into being hardline anti and pro registration respectively like they are in the comics. They wanted to fit a very simplistic "registration=government=OPPRESSION" "non-registration=non-government=FREEDOM" Even though the previous movies built them up so that in Civil War's situation Cap's character may have made more sense to be pro registration while Stark would be completely against it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 13, 2017

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Neo Rasa posted:

I felt like they had to make Cap a complete idiot so that they could fit them both into being hardline anti and pro registration respectively like they are in the comics. They wanted to fit a very simplistic "registration=government=OPPRESSION" "non-registration=non-government=FREEDOM" Even though the previous movies built them up so that in Civil War's situation Cap's character may have made more sense to be pro registration while Stark would be completely against it.
Cap has just watched the people he reported to reveal themselves as super nazis. Stark on the other hand just watched his unchecked ambitions almost destroy the planet. Their positions make perfect sense. Certainly throughout the whole MCU there is some inconsistency in characterization, but the Russo brothers are building fairly consistently on the last appearance of each character.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Cythereal posted:

Cap is such a loving rear end in a top hat who thinks consequences and rules are things that happen to other people but never him.

He's Captain America. His argument is essentially the Monroe Doctrine, because of course it is.

Justifying unilateral military action in political theaters that don't necessarily concern us is literally one of the most American things I can think of.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I kinda get it. He knows for a fact that he is not going to make a morally incorrect choice, but he cannot say that of his superiors. He's basically asking the world to trust him, while being fully confident that he would never betray that trust.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xealot posted:

I want to give David S. Goyer a pass because he wrote Blade, which remains the goddamn poo poo. But he also wrote AND directed Blade: Trinity, so gently caress him.

I give Goyer a lot of leeway on Blade: Trinity because there was so much ridiculous poo poo going on behind the scenes (and even in front of the camera) that there was no way it was ever going to turn out good whatever anyone did.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Sentinel Red posted:

Cripes, so basically we can expect Darkseid to actually appear to us all within a couple of years then.

In the Kirby comics, Darkseid comes to Earth because the Anti-Life Equation has been detected in a human mind.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Cythereal posted:

I'm watching Captain America: Civil War for the first time since seeing it in theaters, and Cap is seriously loving bugging me. Stark's no saint - if anyone's a good guy in this movie it's T'Challa who also steals the scene anytime he's on screen to begin with - but Cap is such a loving rear end in a top hat who thinks consequences and rules are things that happen to other people but never him.

Winter Soldier: Wherever she is, that girl's probably 100 by now.

Captain America: So are we, buddy.

The reason that Captain America will fight anyone, break any promise and literally stop at nothing to protect Bucky is that Bucky is like him---a man thrown out of time, a man who has been unconscious since before I Love Lucy was on TV. Cap has nothing else to keep himself from being completely atomized----even Sharon Carter is now dead.

Stark thought he could be Steve's friend but he was deluding himself: he wasn't born in the 20s and most of what he says casually to Steve scans as gibberish. Steve needs Bucky because it keeps him from being totally alone.

Of course this reason is irational and supremely selfish. It has to be suppressed, the line above is virtually the only point where Steve's real, selfish feelings bubble to the surface. However, they are what's driving him to insane lengths throughout the film----not the crap about the UN, which matters to Stark but is clearly just a question of appearances, PR.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

In the Kirby comics, Darkseid comes to Earth because the Anti-Life Equation has been detected in a human mind.

And his first appearance is in a Jimmy Olseon comic. I love that tidbit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm sure you think a lot about anti-life when your best buddy is Silver Age Superman. Dang it, Superman, I just finished getting my last marriage to a Gorilla annulled. Why do I have to do this again?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It is a good thing we shot Jimmy in the head already, otherwise he would doom us all

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Burkion posted:

It is a good thing we shot Jimmy in the head already, otherwise he would doom us all

Maybe they'll just do a Smallville and introduce his brother who is also named Jimmy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I get everything about Cap regarding Bucky and what went down in Winter Soldier just fine, but even with all of that going on Cap *AGREES TO SIGN THE ACCORD* he flips and completely backs out at the last second after he learns that Scarlet Witch is under house arrest for blowing up those civilians, which was stupid to me. Like she can't fully control her stuff so she should stay away from people til she can sort her poo poo out is literally worse to Cap than them capturing Bucky/etc. I like the movie a lot but it felt like they wrote thenselves into a corner and needed a quick way to make Cap mad again, it just makes him seem stupid.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Codependent Poster posted:

Maybe they'll just do a Smallville and introduce his brother who is also named Jimmy.

Or maybe they do a Star Wars Expanded Universe and introduce his identical clone Jiimmy.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Or maybe they do a Star Wars Expanded Universe and introduce his identical clone Jiimmy.

hmmm, Disney owns Marvel, Star Wars, AND has cinematic rights to Spider-Man. We could be seeing Gween Stacy :ohdear:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
She returns, seeking revenge on Peter Parker for failing to prevent her death, as Darth Gwen.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A rough and tumble street fighter named Bimmy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Not super surprising, but Colossus, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, and Cable are all officially confirmed for Deadpool 2.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Neo Rasa posted:

I get everything about Cap regarding Bucky and what went down in Winter Soldier just fine, but even with all of that going on Cap *AGREES TO SIGN THE ACCORD* he flips and completely backs out at the last second after he learns that Scarlet Witch is under house arrest for blowing up those civilians, which was stupid to me. Like she can't fully control her stuff so she should stay away from people til she can sort her poo poo out is literally worse to Cap than them capturing Bucky/etc. I like the movie a lot but it felt like they wrote thenselves into a corner and needed a quick way to make Cap mad again, it just makes him seem stupid.

She can control her powers fine. What she did was make a choice to save lives that unfortunately killed others and it had huge political ramifications. But Cap was pissed because the guy who represented the Accords, Stark, was the one saying hey I'm extra-judicially locking up our/your buddy for an unspecified amount of time. Even though Stark does have a great point that being holed up in his swanky compound is a million times better than alternatives presented by any law enforcement or government, to Steve it seems like his fear has been realized already before he even added his signature. People with powers are going to be locked up or otherwise forcibly controlled until such time as it's deemed by some higher power that they are released in order to be aimed at a target chosen for them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
#Zemowasright

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

SimonCat posted:

That doesn't make any sense. If Clark is Superman, how can he see when he takes off his glasses?

He had his eyes lasered.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Not super surprising, but Colossus, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, and Cable are all officially confirmed for Deadpool 2.

Who is the director? I'm a bit concerned the team from Deadpool 1 is broken up but hopefully the writers and Reynolds can manage.

Hopefully it remains somewhat small scale at heart and they keep the good character moments. The personal love throughline being motivation vs world ending threat was nice.

I would be amused if Deadpools bromance with Cable makes his romance with Morena Baccarin jealous.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lobok posted:

She can control her powers fine. What she did was make a choice to save lives that unfortunately killed others and it had huge political ramifications. But Cap was pissed because the guy who represented the Accords, Stark, was the one saying hey I'm extra-judicially locking up our/your buddy for an unspecified amount of time. Even though Stark does have a great point that being holed up in his swanky compound is a million times better than alternatives presented by any law enforcement or government, to Steve it seems like his fear has been realized already before he even added his signature. People with powers are going to be locked up or otherwise forcibly controlled until such time as it's deemed by some higher power that they are released in order to be aimed at a target chosen for them.

Om the other hand, his arrogance is astounding. He basically wants carte blanche to do whatever he wants with no consequences or oversight because him and his pals are infallible, and gently caress your soverignity if you dont like it! What a pompous rear end.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

greatn posted:

It's not watching his dad die, it's watching his dads example which is important. His dad dies trying to save a dog. He is the same to that dog as Clark is to the humans, completely superior, and no one would begrudge him leaving it in the car to save his own lif, but he does it because it's the right thing to do. That's what Clark really learns here.
This is also a callback to the dog in Snyder's Dawn of the Dead.

Cythereal posted:

Slugworth posted:

Cap has just watched the people he reported to reveal themselves as super nazis. Stark on the other hand just watched his unchecked ambitions almost destroy the planet. Their positions make perfect sense. Certainly throughout the whole MCU there is some inconsistency in characterization, but the Russo brothers are building fairly consistently on the last appearance of each character.
The jarring transformation that Captain America undergoes happens off-screen, in-between Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron. Captain America wakes up from the war to discover that the world has transformed into a technological dystopia despite his efforts. He tries to adapt by working for the national security apparatus, but the events of Winter Soldier just confirm his worst fears, when he realizes that the system he tried to serve is a tool of Hydra. Then he just shows up in Age of Ultron wearing a new suit with an Avengers logo on the sleeve; a government-created national symbol is now a mercenary hired by the Stark Industries. Captain America has been privatized, in the strictest sense of the word.

The question you should be asking is why a character named Captain America is a painfully shy dork who never talks to the public. Steve Rogers, the 90-pound-weakling, was far more outspoken and courageous.

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm not a big fan of trying to read the filmmaker's intentions, but your reading isn't supported by the film. If they wanted to make the movie a simplistic conflict where Cap is clearly in the right, they could have done so. They're not written into a corner in that regard; Stark is a horrifying monster. Instead, this is a movie with a deeply weird and convoluted conflict at its center.

Juxtaposing the film itself against its marketing, Marvel Studios invited audiences to "Choose Your Side" in an essentially political conflict. But they tried to have their cake and eat it too by burying the political conflict underneath as many personal misgivings as possible, like the whole thing was just a nasty argument between friends.

(Don't get me wrong, you're right as far as "Government=Oppression" is concerned. Civil War is a pro-libertarian film where the conflict is between a Silicon Valley technocrat and a sovereign citizen kook. Ultimately the conflict between Iron Man and Captain America is that Cap can't even stand the appearance of Tony's corporate paramilitary commando squad being regulated by the government. Cap is the same confused doofus he was in Age of Ultron, but the events of Civil War bring up his fundamental disagreement with Tony on what form of libertarianism is necessary to defeat Jewish Bolshevism.)

Neo Rasa posted:

I get everything about Cap regarding Bucky and what went down in Winter Soldier just fine, but even with all of that going on Cap *AGREES TO SIGN THE ACCORD* he flips and completely backs out at the last second after he learns that Scarlet Witch is under house arrest for blowing up those civilians, which was stupid to me. Like she can't fully control her stuff so she should stay away from people til she can sort her poo poo out is literally worse to Cap than them capturing Bucky/etc.

Lobok posted:

Weird's power is to make your worst fears literal. It's why when she uses her powers on Vision, he doesn't have a nightmarish vision, he literally becomes a useless piece of deadweight in the Stark Tower subbasement. Vision is Stark's Internet Messiah, corporate branded and under his control.

Wanda is a walking nightmare for Tony; she's a war orphan created by one of Tony's bombs. She reminds him that he can't just invent super-rockets that magically murder only the correct foreigners while leaving civilians unharmed. He'd like to make this right in a "humanitarian" fashion by putting her in a swank apartment, but he'll settle for pumping her full of drugs and throwing her in a gulag "for her own protection." Just as long as she keeps her mouth shut and stays out of sight.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 13, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gatts posted:

Who is the director? I'm a bit concerned the team from Deadpool 1 is broken up but hopefully the writers and Reynolds can manage.

Hopefully it remains somewhat small scale at heart and they keep the good character moments. The personal love throughline being motivation vs world ending threat was nice.

I would be amused if Deadpools bromance with Cable makes his romance with Morena Baccarin jealous.

Tim Miller left and the new guy is one half of the the duo that directed John Wick. He has done stunts for lots of movies, but hasn't directed anything else.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I give Goyer a lot of leeway on Blade: Trinity because there was so much ridiculous poo poo going on behind the scenes (and even in front of the camera) that there was no way it was ever going to turn out good whatever anyone did.

Well Blade 3 suffered from franchise-itus as well, with a mandate to create spin-off movies for Jessica Biel and Ryan Reynolds. I mean, Snipes was ridiculous, but one of the things that set him off was the lack of focus on Blade himself, and he's pretty right about that.

Also the villains were terrrrrrrrrrible.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Tim Miller left and the new guy is one half of the the duo that directed John Wick. He has done stunts for lots of movies, but hasn't directed anything else.

One half of the John Wick duo I'll take. It was well directed imo and should fit Deadpool.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

McCloud posted:

Om the other hand, his arrogance is astounding. He basically wants carte blanche to do whatever he wants with no consequences or oversight because him and his pals are infallible, and gently caress your soverignity if you dont like it! What a pompous rear end.

He applies the same superhero model to any situation. If he's in a city and "sees a situation go south" he'll intervene and help out. If he's in another country he'll do the same. Or if he has to go to another country. Borders don't factor into his morals.

Halloween Jack posted:

Wanda is a walking nightmare for Tony; she's a war orphan created by one of Tony's bombs. She reminds him that he can't just invent super-rockets that magically murder only the correct foreigners while leaving civilians unharmed. He'd like to make this right in a "humanitarian" fashion by putting her in a swank apartment, but he'll settle for pumping her full of drugs and throwing her in a gulag "for her own protection." Just as long as she keeps her mouth shut and stays out of sight.

And that's what he does later in the film. Steve already had a problem with the tamer, apartment version of her incarceration.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

And his first appearance is in a Jimmy Olseon comic. I love that tidbit.

His first appearance is very close to what happened in BvS.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeesh, it looks like Mark Trail is talking to Yul Brynner.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Lobok posted:

And that's what he does later in the film. Steve already had a problem with the tamer, apartment version of her incarceration.

Technically it wasn't him, but Ross who did the incarceration. Stark was completely unaware of how harsh the consequences would be (which is a recurring theme for him). He even said so during the airport sequence. He was telling Cap that he should be glad it was him trying to bring them in instead of a black ops unit that would have no qualms about killing every single one of them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lobok posted:

Also that was right before the poo poo went down with Zemo and Bucky. The mystery was one of the things pulling him back from signing, and his own belief that only he could stop a tragedy from occurring.

EDIT: Like everytime there was a hope of reconciliation, Zemo would poke the bee hive, and things would progress superheroically, nullifying compromise and discussion. It's like he took advantage of the thematics of superhero comics to further his cause.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeesh, it looks like Mark Trail is talking to Yul Brynner.

I like how it looks like Darkseid's helmet is just a very shiny pageboy.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

A rough and tumble street fighter named Bimmy.

You mean Jiimmy.

Also with regards to Civil War, I don't remember if they bring up the fact that SHIELD was infiltrated by double-nazis in the previous movie?

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 13, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Got the pic from this article about Darkseid, its a good read: http://comicsalliance.com/tribute-darkseid/

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Scyantific posted:

Technically it wasn't him, but Ross who did the incarceration. Stark was completely unaware of how harsh the consequences would be (which is a recurring theme for him). He even said so during the airport sequence. He was telling Cap that he should be glad it was him trying to bring them in instead of a black ops unit that would have no qualms about killing every single one of them.

It's a nice sentiment, but there's no black ops unit on Earth that's going to take out the team that 2 Iron Men, a Magic Robot, a legendary black ops agent, and a kid doing whatever a spider can, are having severe trouble with.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Syncopated posted:

Also with regards to Civil War, I don't remember if they bring up the fact that SHIELD was infiltrated by double-nazis in the previous movie?

You know better than that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Syncopated posted:

You mean Jiimmy.

They do.

Cap, Tony, and Widow all mention it at different points.

Cap mentions it when talking about what SHIELD was meant to be and the accords.

Widow says something about following orders and Tony mentions that her previous orders came from Nazis.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lobok posted:

He applies the same superhero model to any situation. If he's in a city and "sees a situation go south" he'll intervene and help out. If he's in another country he'll do the same. Or if he has to go to another country. Borders don't factor into his morals.

And what happens if he fucks up and people die? Or Wanda? Or Stark? He thinks we should just shrug and pat them on their back for doing their best and diregard the corpses left in their wake, that's the problem. If he won't subject himself to oversight then he should hand in his shield, or he's no better than a bully. Might does not make right, not even for Captain America.

• Locked thread