Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mulva posted:

Because they promised WiiU people "Please buy our system, it'll have a Zelda!".

Louisgod posted:

Because they first announced it for the WiiU and can't go back on that promise, clearly. If they did then fans would freak the gently caress out.

Then why not just delay the WiiU version like they did with Twilight Princess? At the very least you would get more sales from the Zelda fanatics who need to play it on day 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phone posted:

Nintendo didn't charge for multiplayer when I received an SNES for Christmas as a small child! See, this is why Nintendo has completely screwed the pooch and why they're doomed to fail forever.

This is a really dumb counter argument for a Nintendo online service that requires a phone app to use basic functionality that's been in since 2005.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

s.i.r.e. posted:

How? Other than Zelda nothing looked good

They got Suda on stage. I don't give a gently caress what he's doing, that's always a delight.

TaurusOxford posted:

Then why not just delay the WiiU version like they did with Twilight Princess? At the very least you would get more sales from the Zelda fanatics who need to play it on day 1.

It's been like 15 loving years for people to get that game, they made them wait long enough.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Reggie confessing to stealing from the company live on air.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

s.i.r.e. posted:

How? Other than Zelda nothing looked good and it basically showed how out of touch Nintendo is with modern gaming experiences and how they're botching their new console that's supposed to replaced their worst console since the Virtual Boy.

I understand rose-tinted glasses or being naïve, but good loving jesus.

I also thought the presentation was great, maybe you should chill out

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Twilight Princess was a day 1 release for the Wii. Gamecube version was like a week later.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Teikanmi posted:

Did you also enjoy Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

Hey now no need to hit below the belt

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

They didn't have a problem offering it for free on Wii U. Unless they plan to have more and better offerings then Wii U, what are we paying for?

My guess is they saw Sony start to charge people for online play on the PS4 even though it's the same as the service that used to be free on the PS3 and figured they could get away with it, too. I really, really hope they finally hired some people who know how to set up a competent online service (and that the executives understand the value of a competent online service) but, well, Nintendo has a pretty awful track record there.

It's free for a while after it launches, right? I guess best case scenario it's much improved over the Wii U's, or if nothing else, they hold off on charging for it if it's a trainwreck. But again, not really holding my breath there.

Oxyclean posted:

Although I have to say adding online play for old SNES games is kinda cool, depending on what sort of pricing they have.

If they let me play Secret of Mana online I'm going to be pretty happy about that. Actually Seiken Densetsu 3 would be better but I really doubt they'd bother to bring that to the West now, of all times.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Meltdowns ITT

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Seriously, between Bomberman, Disgaea 5, Tales of, SMT5, Octowhatever from the Bravely Default people, Dragon Quest XI, and Xenoblade 2, this system already sold me. Anything else is gravy (though Zelda looks like some nice gravy).

Disgaea and Blazblue are pretty good signs that the Switch is inheriting Japanese Vita support, which, with no region locking, means I can get all the weird Japanese import games. :)

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Phone posted:

Nintendo didn't charge for multiplayer when I received an SNES for Christmas as a small child! See, this is why Nintendo has completely screwed the pooch and why they're doomed to fail forever.

Sounds like you never had a Xband. Poor fool.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

This segment of the Treehouse has a very QVC vibe to it

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This is my take on it.

The console feels rushed with how many features aren't completely finished or fleshed out along with games too. It feels like Zelda was truly done and ready for release but they couldn't just put out the Wii U version and wait until later in the year in fears it would cannibalize new hardware sales or hurt the unit overall.

People can complain or handwave away launch lineups but I think someone else said it's pretty sad that Mario Kart wasn't ready to go day one. I think a Mario Kart / Zelda combo would have been fine for most people.

The other problem is Arms and 1 2 Switch feel more like tech demos or proof of concept for the system. Almost like having to resell people on the concept of the original Wii and hope to recapture why people fell in love with it in the first place.

It will be a very Nintendo console with all its quirks in the long run, which is fine. Not every system needs to be the same, but I doubt it will challenge the other players in the market. It likely won't challenge the PS4 but that's not to say a niche console can't survive. Just depends on how much Nintendo is betting on it.

I know it's all Switch at the moment but I hope Nintendo addresses the 3DS soon and what their plans are.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
So is the general consensus that Nintendo is doomed after the Switch reveal?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

s.i.r.e. posted:

How? Other than Zelda nothing looked good and it basically showed how out of touch Nintendo is with modern gaming experiences and how they're botching their new console that's supposed to replaced their worst console since the Virtual Boy.

I understand rose-tinted glasses or being naïve, but good loving jesus.

I thought all that stuff looked fun. You have a different opinion than I do. That's okay.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I'm one of the biggest nintendo boosters around but lol @ Reggie pimping the limited edition of zelda like a QVC spot

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

InFlames235 posted:

the consensus is Nintendo was doomed after the Wii U

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The 3DS was sacrificed for this.

Right now, it's not worth it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

zenintrude posted:

I get the impression that, like PS+ and XBL, you have a month to claim it for free... but who knows with this kooky company.

The games had better be classics or else this is going to sour quick.

With Xbox Live and PS+ you get those games added to your library permanently, you don't just get them for a month.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I also thought the presentation was great, maybe you should chill out

How? Honestly.

Harrow posted:

It's free for a while after it launches, right? I guess best case scenario it's much improved over the Wii U's, or if nothing else, they hold off on charging for it if it's a trainwreck. But again, not really holding my breath there.

Is there even going to be any online games in the free period?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Asema posted:

This is a really dumb counter argument for a Nintendo online service that requires a phone app to use basic functionality that's been in since 2005.

No it isn't.

Every criticism seems to fall into the bucket of "it wasn't in the Wii U Fifth Element gif from a few years back" or "I am appalled that things cost money in TYOOL 2017".

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ethanol posted:

the consensus was Nintendo was doomed after the SNES

Come on.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
European release schedule, might not work with everywhere else.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/819935233546063872

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Just realized: if Dragon Quest XI doesn't get localized or brought over? Big deal, I can just import it. :)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Argh, I tried to preorder at their ridiculously high price here in Canada, and wasn't able to.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

InFlames235 posted:

i believe they were doomed before and after

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

s.i.r.e. posted:

Mario Kart 8 with REAL BATTLE MODE.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mulva posted:

The WiiU.

This year, not "mistake of the year 2012"

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Rudoku posted:

Come on.

I don't make the sales charts I just observe gracefully

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Patter Song posted:

Just realized: if Dragon Quest XI doesn't get localized or brought over? Big deal, I can just import it. :)

It will probably get brought over for Switch / PS4 but who knows about the 3DS version.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Now that apple is getting old and boring I'm glad I still have controversial gadgets that I can get unreservedly hyped for.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

PUYO PUYO TETRIS GODDAMN

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

InFlames235 posted:

Nintendo was actually doomed the day after they printed their first hanafuda cards

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Not a Children posted:

I'm one of the biggest nintendo boosters around but lol @ Reggie pimping the limited edition of zelda like a QVC spot

next I hope he holds the Master Sword statue and accidentally stabs himself with it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Patter Song posted:

I can't read Japanese so that would be a dealbreaker for me on that game in particular, but I like the thought of being able to import some oddball game that doesn't require much understanding of the language down the line.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harlock posted:

People can complain or handwave away launch lineups but I think someone else said it's pretty sad that Mario Kart wasn't ready to go day one. I think a Mario Kart / Zelda combo would have been fine for most people.

That's a pretty big bummer for me right there. I'd buy MK8 Deluxe on release if it was offered. As it is I'm okay just getting Zelda, but I really do understand people not jumping on the preorder with such an anemic launch lineup.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Oh poo poo, are there? That'd be pretty loving comical if the free period spent most if its time with nothing to play online in the first place.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was trying to figure out why the press conference was so poor, and I realized that Nintendo is making the same mistake as they did with the WiiU, they don't think people care about actual games, they care about their fancy rear end controllers and their motion control technology. Games were clearly secondary to the hardware, and the fact they didn't talk about anything but the controllers, they still think that's what their selling point is.

Like, Mario Kart being shoved off to be found on your own on their youtube channel rather than being mentioned, hiding the full release game list on the website. Even when talking about Mario they focused on the new gimmick rather than on the game itself.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Raise your joycons high above your head

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

InFlames235 posted:

only in this thread

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they should have focused on the portability and made it an HD 3ds successor. there was like nothing from the classic gameboy/DS series in that announcement. theyre gonna kill their handheld market share and all those devs are gonna jump to phones, like nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

s.i.r.e. posted:

With Xbox Live and PS+ you get those games added to your library permanently, you don't just get them for a month.

But you have a month to claim them for free...

Read this again:

quote:

Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.

You get a month to download them for free... sounds like the same system to me.

• Locked thread