Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ctg3GQpusY

AP fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

D_Smart posted:

As I posted on Twitter, I finished that since Dec. Sent it off to a third-party for final review, cleanup and such. I may still self-publish it on Amazon, though I have some interesting offers.

I really don't want to release it until the final incoming collapse of CIG/RSI. We'll see how it goes.

Really, how can you finalize such a thing until the entire story is over and done with? I'd totally be down with buying a book about this deal, but not until after it included the downfall. The downfall is the third act. You can't have a full story without that.

I'd also love if it included insider input. I've stated before that I'd buy a book written from Lando's experiences. Your best bet would be for after everything implodes, and getting some insider like Lando to offer his input as well. He's not the only insider I'd appreciate, there are several, I only mention him because he's the most public, and seems to have had tons of job hopping in the past, is down for any paying job, and won't necessarily care about being locked out of the videogame industry.

Seriously, a book about this by Derek, with co-credits to someone like Lando, or other deep insiders, would be a must buy. Ben would be a great get as well, but I suspect he's drank too much Flavor-Aid.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi, just a quiet reminder for you all to take a small amount of time out of your day of screaming at the computer game to call or visit your parents. They raised you with care and love and would like to hear from you and yours about how your life is going, hobbies etc.

ArfJason posted:

Everyone, please stop doing incredibly hosed up poo poo like doxxing, sending death threats, obsessing over the bad space videogame, constantly stalking some twitter guy and now, posting pedo fiction because lol bitcoins. What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Welcome back. I see the Shmorky thread is closed.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMhp1lmxjMc&t=74s

:gary:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

ArfJason posted:

Cool guy: hey remember all those years ago why dont we play ninte do anymore like we use to
Me: you jerked off in public and drank youre piss
Cool guy: haha why you bringing up the past?? U care salt? That was years ago. Stay mad...

Look! A Horse! posted:

hey remember when you got owned by the Star Citizen thread and then fake doxxed yourself for more manufactured outrage. good times...

lol

ArfJason loves the lovely threads, no pun intended.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

My inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnBZMngx97o

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

holy poo poo

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I started out not hating anything, but in addition to Star Citizen I now also hate Bitcoin

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Sad part is I didn't get it until I saw your exclamation. Well done Nicholas.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

As I posted on Twitter, I finished that since Dec. Sent it off to a third-party for final review, cleanup and such. I may still self-publish it on Amazon, though I have some interesting offers.

I really don't want to release it until the final incoming collapse of CIG/RSI. We'll see how it goes.

:allears:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

One day you'll catch up don't worry

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

XK posted:

Seriously, a book about this by Derek, with co-credits to someone like Lando, or other deep insiders, would be a must buy. Ben would be a great get as well, but I suspect he's drank too much Flavor-Aid.

Derek Smart is like Stephen King- I like what he writes, but there's usually a few hundred extra pages that could be safely excised without hurting the core of the story being told.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

I prefer this one better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkMUU9tUqk

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Always a classic. Maybe I'll do that after work.*

*Actually, you're better off doing it yourself, or finding someone more talented than I am with these things.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

XK posted:

lol

ArfJason loves the lovely threads, no pun intended.

What's not to love about lovely threads, when you're an admin's pet so you can even get your permas reversed.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Derek Smart is like Stephen King- I like what he writes, but there's usually a few hundred extra pages that could be safely excised without hurting the core of the story being told.

Or in the case of the dark tower, three entire books.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Hav posted:

Or in the case of the dark tower, three entire books.

That hurts man.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I'm expecting the equivalent to a fully annotated "War and Peace".

As I think about it, you are completely on point with your comparison of Derek Smart to Stephen King, as far as unnecessary fluff and pointless tangential plotlines goes.

A lot of King's stuff is garbage, but portions are great. There's a lot of completely forgettable stuff, some enjoyable yet superfluous content, weird poo poo like the all the kids having sex in "IT", and some great gems. When some of that great stuff is passed through someone else, you end up with a classic work, like with "The Shining".

Derek needs a good editor.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DapperDon posted:

That hurts man.
It's not loving wrong though.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Stephen King, famous author of blurbs and also some other poo poo I guess

NocnaShada
Nov 10, 2015

Chin posted:

I can't believe no one else ever had the idea to simulate a universe where you can do and be anything.

Of course. You lack the vision of Chris Robberts and you don't understand game development.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

XK posted:

A lot of King's stuff is garbage, but portions are great. There's a lot of completely forgettable stuff, some enjoyable yet superfluous content, weird poo poo like the all the kids having sex in "IT", and some great gems. When some of that great stuff is passed through someone else, you end up with a classic work, like with "The Shining" "The Dark Tower".

What the Gunslinger Roland did to astin is nothing short of being a classic all unto itself.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

tooterfish posted:

It's not loving wrong though.

You know I am ready to die on this hill, don't you son?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

iron buns posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/5neekj/iqfish_gets_a_refund/dcdnt42/

quote:

IqfishLP posted:
I'd prefer not replying here anymore so that this would not get used out of context like my earlier statements, but for the sake of integrity im gonna answer.

My arguments largely aim towards the PU, simply because we have no idea about SQ42 at all. I always thought of the singeplayer campaign as less important. I would have played it, but I am a lot more interested in a good multiplayer experience.

When I backed in January 2013, I had the dates in mind CIG presented back then. You know, the ones that proved to be absolutely impossible. I realized, as many people did too, that Star Citizen would take a LOT more time and effort and I was fine with it. I thought let them have their time, do things right and create something with the longevity of EVE online that people play for ten years.

For the longest time I was completely fine with the way things were going. CIG was growing nicely from something people would use their garage for to a fully fleged 350+ employee-company. The technology coming out of their hired talent amazed me, especially since I have close ties with CryTek and their employees personally. Thinks like the local physics grid, the procedural technology they are working on or the sheer amount of detail they put into the few assets we have seen so far are fantastic and I stand by that still.

Now to the ugly. On the last big presentations CIG screwed up. They announced SQ42 so many times and cancelled the presentation last minute, without telling anyone. And contrary to their video, I just can not believe that they realized it two days before the presentation. And if they did, that is proof of a horrible management. I have always said that they should take as long time as they need, but as a company funded in its entirety by backers, it is their drat obligation to tell us what is going on. And I don't care if there is a storyline that they don't want to spoil, we have to have access to information to how far things are along. If people don't want to be spoiled, they can choose to look away. The general style of the last two presentations were unbelievably unprofessional. I remember getting so hyped about CitizenCon that I stocked up beer and snacks and submitted a day off so I could stay up to like 5am (Living in Europe). A company with that much money, with people dedicated to working on stuff like that and a seperate pool of funding just for PR, just can not fail so hard at presentations again and again. They also did the atrocious UEE Warbonds video back then, right after telling anyone that every single post leading up to the event was basically false.

To sum this section up: I think CIGs focus is wrong. They got enough money. They are funded. They should focus on the actual gameplay and less on adding more and more fluff. Also rethink your PR. Act like the company you are, funded by the people. All your bills are paid by us, treat us with respect.

My second big concern is the community. If you look through my post history, you see that I submitted a few pretty critical comments and posts to the /r/starcitizen sub that were either downvoted to hell or upvoted to the top or even gilded. I pointed out 5 months ago, that all the design documents are incredibly dated and havent been talked about in detail since. Why does noone seem to care about how the actual game will play? Who cares for the 10th fighter or 5th mining ship if there won't be something interesting to do with it? How does Star Citizen want to keep players from leaving with interesting gameplay that can fill their incredibly large world? The last few months it has become worse. It feels like everyone reasonable that you could discuss with left the sub after the presentations and only the crazy people are left. People that celebrate the 159th "fan made trailer" cut together from footage of 2014. People that will defend CIG on every action, no matter how lovely or unprofessional their actions are. To be clear here, I think of CIGs devs as talented and inspiring, but there is something wrong in their PR/management department. I will not engage in personal witch hunts like Derek does, He and I both got no idea of what is going on behind their doors and anything he puts out is either speculation or made up.

I realize that I could go on for pages here. I have spent so much time around the projects, read so much stuff and wrote probably even more. It is such a huge project, that I cannot even discuss everything that is good or bad about the game. And the problem is that I fear CIG forgets how huge their project is. How huge the game they aim for is. There is a reason it has never been tried. Comparably small projects like GTA V eat up sums 5-6 times of CIGs budget. I really hate to say this, but the Star Citizen we will get in a few years is not the game they told us about.

And to make it clear once again: This post, my decision or anything in this process has anything to do with Derek Smart or his ramblings. In my eyes he is a troubled man that who tries anything to make him feel superior. He has jumped the bandwagon of people talking about Star Citizens problems and now thinks of himself as some form of messiahs. I 100% stand by anything I wrote on /r/dereksmart . Like others point out, life is not black or white. I couldn't be further from apologizing or even following Derek.

:negative:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Exactly. Which is why I sent it off to a third-party for review, edits etc. Then it goes to the attorneys.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/819968932039847936
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/819969140211515398

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Quavers posted:

As a Goon previously suggested, why don't you self-publish and sell it on your own webstore: "Derek's Mart".

Branch out into mug and t-shirt sales too:
  • "I called Star Citizen a scam before it was cool"
  • "Derek Smart was right"
  • "Warlord 1 'Saviour of PC Gaming' 0"

Don't forget a shirt with my favorite puppy, Legal. He's grown in my heart and I will always support him with my pledges investments gamble purchases.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The biggest suspension of disbelief in the SC universe is that British people/accents/names have survived 900 years into the future and have not been hosed out of existence by more viable, fecund genetic variances and cultures.

Not only that, but hell, everything not given a bad alien name is given a bad British name.

It's kind of like the supermarionation 'Thunderbirds' where it's supposed to be the year 2065 (100 years in the future from production) and outside a few swarthy Latin Europeans, every single person is white. An all-white future, boy, nobody's had that idea before! :hitler:1488:godwinning:

I guess if you don't work with or see any non-whites ever they don't really come up on your radar :rolleyes:

Supermarianation Race

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
but that games been in development since the first mass effect, almost 12 years ago

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

quote:

CIG was growing nicely from something people would use their garage for to a fully fleged 350+ employee-company.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no. That did not happen. CIG did not "grow" into a fully fledged company - the company has never made a single product, was given millions of dollars up front for nothing more than an ill-defined promise, and proceeded to spend it on the trappings of success before they even made the first design document. They did not "grow" because they haven't done anything yet to earn the status of "350+ employees around the world." They just used their free cash to jump straight into it, earning themselves a massive cost overhead in exchange for learning how to make a game since none of them have any idea how it's done.

The company is burning money as fast as it's being donated. They have no plans for residual income once the game is released. If it's released.

CIG is not a game development company - they're a pay-per-view reality show. When the people stop paying to watch, it will go off the air.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

One day you'll catch up don't worry

I still don't get it. :(

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/DavidSwofford/status/819973170035851264

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/819976771332345861

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/819977559031083008

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Stephen King, famous author of blurbs and also some other poo poo I guess

You've got to take it in context. And, yes, Stephen King is also an author of some other poo poo, ie 90% of his work.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

but that games been in development since the first mass effect, almost 12 years ago

I copy and pasted the wrong video, dunno how that happened. It was some lovely bug and instead my post is some video I haven't watched.

Fixed it, thanks.

AP fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 13, 2017

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen, regularly getting covers on the early 1990s medium of video game magazines. In German.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

:negative:
[/quote]

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5nsey5/incoming_refund_cascade/

quote:

As many of you have noticed, I have taken a step back from my usual postings so that I could take a step back and study the landscape of backers and the lack of progress from CIG in a more detailed manner to focus on the details and get more in tune with the community.
As many of you have noticed, a lot of this subs superstars have been MIA and as /u/IqfishLP has pointed out that all that is left are the crazy zealots when he wrote his refund mia culpa. There is a reason for that if any of you may have figured out. Refunds.
There has been an increasing number of refunds from some of the largest and long time backers that have supported this game and for very good reason. They have paid attention and have woken up to the very harsh reality that this game is not going to ever be completed and some parts of it were never made to begin with. They have figured out that they have been providing funding for game that was not built by technical know how by a AAA league game designer/developer/pioneer/leader. But in fact, a person that has been run out of almost every industry he has dared to step his incompetent foot in. I have watched more long time whale backers that were once die hards and loved by this very community start to get refunds at an increasing and alarming rate. And I have noticed too that you have attacked them all.
2017 will not be the year of 3.0 or 3.1 or 4.0 or anything close to any development other than more and more blatant ship sales for a non game that has no mechanics to justify those ships to exist it. The reason for that is that ship sales are the one source of revenue there is. The burn rate of CIG and all of their unnecessary studios is creeping up on the money we have all bankrolled them with and will soon outpace their reserves. They cannot develop a game and create more ships to sell when their entire marketing objective is towards selling more ships. This "game" has become the laughing stock of the gaming world at large and you all know it.
As hilarious as it is to read the pathetic posts from people stating that CIG can take as long as they want. The reality is that time has run out for them and your "patience" is what they are counting on for them to keep kicking the can down the road so that Chris and co. can have their lifestyles further enriched by your desperation. Because you are not getting the game you were promised. Nothing even close to that. The old whales have figured that out and in time you will too. The difference is that they got their money back and by the time you figure this out, there will be no more money left for you to get yours.
My suggestion is that you head over to /r/starcitizen_refunds and see what others are doing to help themselves out of this mess. There is no shame in admitting that Derek Smart was in fact right about this entire thing and in fact, I encourage each and every one of you to reach out to him to discuss what can be done to get you the help you need. Derek is there for each and every one of you and has worked tirelessly to fight for you all to get your refunds. To date he has helped hundreds of commandos get back $10's of thousands of dollars back from a company that has lied to each and every one of you. Do not believe the untrue lies from the haters that refuse to accept that Derek has been a force of good on your behalf since this whole thing started. Believe yourself by reaching out to him and see for yourself. The time has come for you to be free of this scam once and for all.
If you have any doubts, then just ask yourself where is one single part of SQ42 to been seen that is not a tech demo or sizzle reel or behinds the scenes footage from a mocap session from years ago?

:smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004