Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Xtanstic posted:

@Xyclopzz @LysanderXonora"

and lo the third seal was broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How does normal matchmaking do skill matching between players? Is it just using an invisible MMR?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gunder posted:

How does normal matchmaking do skill matching between players? Is it just using an invisible MMR?

yea

Gunder
May 22, 2003

My MMR is probably too high just now then. I keep getting wrecked in my games at the moment, and feel like a drag on the team. I haven't played in about 2 years, so my skills have atrophied pretty badly, and I don't know wtf with half of these new items. It's like learning the game all over again.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

no worries, my man

it's easier to lose mmr than to gain it :cheerdoge:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I was thinking to myself, "I hope T-Show can pull a comeback here" and then, like magic, Horde started vomiting 322 all over the map. South America let's goooooo

Dunno who "Mandy" is, but I enjoy watching their Sand King anyway.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 12, 2017

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Can someone explain what the gently caress is with this tournament? 1.5 million USD tournament and the best teams are Alliance, the Danish team, Ukraine Pubstack and a couple of tier 3 Chinese teams? What's going on?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

King Pawn posted:

Can someone explain what the gently caress is with this tournament? 1.5 million USD tournament and the best teams are Alliance, the Danish team, Ukraine Pubstack and a couple of tier 3 Chinese teams? What's going on?

It's a "olympics" type thing China does every year. You have to play in a country stack.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

King Pawn posted:

I don't know, I think it's a good thing though. Let some lower tier teams get some big game experience and maybe enough money they can train full time dota and get better.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Who's the pro that did the no items bear build? I need to cc them in my angry email to icefraud.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I really like WESG, it's funny to see random stuff like Kyrgyz teams and Jordanian stacks.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Nasgate posted:

Who's the pro that did the no items bear build? I need to cc them in my angry email to icefraud.

Every pub wc3 dota player ever.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This Spanish caster begins playing music that sounds like a 1970s police drama soundtrack when Infamous does good things.

Dun dun DAHDAHHHHHHH

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Kainser posted:

I really like WESG, it's funny to see random stuff like Kyrgyz teams and Jordanian stacks.

And Alliance.

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT
So not sure where else to ask, but I'm trying to find the famous sumail storm game, where he had the worst 5 minute start in the tournament and then the best 10 minute start in the same game.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

FoF posted:

So not sure where else to ask, but I'm trying to find the famous sumail storm game, where he had the worst 5 minute start in the tournament and then the best 10 minute start in the same game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlnWXs2SzYQ&t=1230s

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT

Thanks, I figured searching sumail, storm, and some word like 'epic' might yield to many results.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

This sig trust vs Ukraine game is hilarious, Timbersaw bopping people with random timberchains to air to taunt, BKB lion right clicking Axe to death during naga song, item dropping etc.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Klaus Kinski posted:

Every pub wc3 dota player ever.

Nah man, there's a newer one this patch where you get like dragonlance, MoM, Maelstrom. It's even more dumb and effective than before.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Lone druids talents are loving broken right now. +200 range at level 10, -50 seconds respawn at 20, and -10s savage road cooldown at 25. With talents like that, why put anything besides boots and oov on the bear?

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

RisqueBarber posted:

Lone druids talents are loving broken right now. +200 range at level 10, -50 seconds respawn at 20, and -10s savage road cooldown at 25. With talents like that, why put anything besides boots and oov on the bear?

the power jump at 15 with +65 damage is the big one IMO

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
https://clips.twitch.tv/zai/WonderfulBearFailFish

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Martian Manfucker posted:

the power jump at 15 with +65 damage is the big one IMO

Yeah, that ones also good. Is there a hero with a talent that gives more than 65?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

RisqueBarber posted:

Yeah, that ones also good. Is there a hero with a talent that gives more than 65?

dark seer 90, lich 150, someone else gets 100 i think but i cant remember who

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

violent sex idiot posted:

dark seer 90, lich 150, someone else gets 100 i think but i cant remember who

Thanks, and its Bounty.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
SF gets 72 with max souls, or 92 with aghs

Gunder
May 22, 2003

If you're trying to introduce a new player to Dota 2 (and someone who's new to mobas in general) which heroes would you reckon are the easiest to start with? I remember loving Lich back when I first started, Windranger too. Any other suggestions? Someone mentioned Sven, Lina and Anti-Mage, but I think a carry might be a bit much to start with.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Giving Anti-Mage to a new player is a disastrously bad idea. I also started on Lich many moons ago, but I've had good experiences getting newbies to play Jakiro. He's tanky so they don't feed so much, and even totally new players "get" his abilities and have fun trying to land them. By comparison, Lich is kinda boring.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

King Pawn posted:

Giving Anti-Mage to a new player is a disastrously bad idea. I also started on Lich many moons ago, but I've had good experiences getting newbies to play Jakiro. He's tanky so they don't feed so much, and even totally new players "get" his abilities and have fun trying to land them. By comparison, Lich is kinda boring.

I still remember landing an amazing Chain Frost in my first ever game. Killed pretty much the entire enemy team. I think that moment is what propelled me on to learning the game properly.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Gunder posted:

If you're trying to introduce a new player to Dota 2 (and someone who's new to mobas in general) which heroes would you reckon are the easiest to start with? I remember loving Lich back when I first started, Windranger too. Any other suggestions? Someone mentioned Sven, Lina and Anti-Mage, but I think a carry might be a bit much to start with.

depends on what role they want to play i guess.

carry: sven, wraith king, luna
mid: viper, sniper, ???
support: Cm, WD, venge, ogre, riki...?
offlane: darkseer, other than that i have no loving clue how to offlane this patch

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
strength semicarries/supports: slardar, centaur, nightstalker, tide, OGRE (not strength but best hero in the game)

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Back in the day I used to play, on top of the list above, support sand king, tidehunter, veno was all fun. Big AOE is satisfying as gently caress and you feel like you're contributing. Pooping veno wards helps the newbie learn engagement ranges and poo poo.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

If you're not telling new comers to pick Meepo to start off with then man oh man you are a bad friend.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
friends dont let friends play dota

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've seen 2GD guide a new player through Meepo as they won in like their third ever game. What he did is grabbed supports with good disable like Rubick, had a private voice chat with them, pinged out targets and said things like "I'm going to pick up this guy [ping], what I won't you to do is use Q to put a net on him. Okay ready, here I go..."

They started with Death Prophet, which is kind of a nice hero to start with because her ult contributes damage without the player having to focus on anything other than staying alive.

The frequent pinging as he pointed out targets annoyed the three other pubbies on the team, but when they bitched he just replied "drunk." That seemed to satisfy them, or at least make them ignore him and move on.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

quote:

Matchmaking now considers geographical distance when finding players for your team.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Mother of god . . .

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Oh good I'll be stuck with more Quebecios

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

That's the most entertaining kind of bad player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I cherish getting onto teams with a Quebecois stack.

• Locked thread