Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

who posted that fire emblem warriors could not work because lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
THEY DID IT, THE ABSOLUTE MADMEN

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POsTR5iy_TI

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ambivalent posted:

who posted that fire emblem warriors could not work because lol

gently caress, I remember that lol. Granted there was no gameplay shown AT ALL soooooo..........

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
But can you play as a pegasus knight, this is very important

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

But can you play as a pegasus knight, this is very important

Caeda will most likely be playable.

And so will Camilla if you want Wyvern goodness instead.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Caeda will most likely be playable.

And so will Camilla if you want Wyvern goodness instead.

Yeah, it's Koei-Tecmo. There's no way they won't have Camilla in it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The only way you couldn't make a warriors game out of something is if there's not enough characters so there was nothing stopping FEW from happening.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Hm. Well, the issue is how do they distinguish...as an example, Titania and Kieran. Both are pure Axe Knight. That's their defining weapon and fight style. What makes them different? In Fire Emblem, it's their stats and growths, and in Kieran's case starting with Gamble. In Dynasty Warriors? How do you make them different with the same weapon? Are you really going to make a separate axe for each? It was never the Generics I was concerned about, nor the Lords; it's the secondary characters whom everyone will want in because of their personalities, with everyone using the same weapons.

EXs? People weren't happy with those.

Well, we'll see.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 13, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Bloodly posted:

Hm. Well, the issue is how do they distinguish...as an example, Titania and Kieran. Both are pure Axe Knight. That's their defining weapon and fight style. What makes them different? In Fire Emblem, it's their stats and growths, and in Kieran's case starting with Gamble. In Dynasty Warriors? How do you make them different with the same weapon? Are you really going to make a separate axe for each? It was never the Generics I was concerned about, nor the Lords; it's the secondary characters whom everyone will want in because of their personalities.

EXs? People weren't happy with those.

Well, we'll see.

They're not going to pick two of the exact same classes from the exact same game. They're going to probably go mostly Lords-only with a few exceptions and all of them are unique and very different.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
It's KOEI.

How many variations of 'Fights with Sword' are in DW8 even without EXs? Xiahou Dun, Sun Quan, Sun Jian, Cao Cao, Sima Zhao, Sima Shi, Yuan Shao, Liu Shan, Xing Cai

They'd differentiate two axe users without much effort.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
But most of those variants were introduced in DW8. DW7 XL gave Xiahou Dun back his scimitar, previously he was plain old Sword, along with Sun Quan, Sun Jian, Sima Zhao, and Cao Cao. Sima Shi, Yuan Shao, and Liu Shan were all Rapier. Only Xing Cai was fully unique, as she was in 5.

(I've just watched a full playthrough of 7 XL, so I can speak fairly clearly on this.)

Maybe they can pull it. Maybe they won't bother. I hope they do.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They'll just pull characters from Fates and Awakening and make them different enough.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Bloodly posted:

But most of those variants were introduced in DW8. DW7 XL gave Xiahou Dun back his scimitar, previously he was plain old Sword, along with Sun Quan, Sun Jian, Sima Zhao, and Cao Cao. Sima Shi, Yuan Shao, and Liu Shan were all Rapier. Only Xing Cai was fully unique, as she was in 5.

(I've just watched a full playthrough of 7 XL, so I can speak fairly clearly on this.)

Maybe they can pull it. Maybe they won't bother. I hope they do.

Then look at games before the Ex system; in 5 they had like a dozen people who used swords, all with unique movesets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dynasty Warriors made up combat styles for like 70% of the Zelda cast.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Fire Emblem Warriors is too obvious a choice for this, so I can't get TOO buzzed up for it, but also because I've only played on Fire Emblem game so it's less interesting to me than Zelda or One Piece.

Granted, I'm really pumped about Berserk and I've only watched two episodes of that so say what you will

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
As long as it's more like Hyrule Warriors and less like DQ Warriors.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

A Fire Emblem Warriors Nintendo Direct is happening on January 18th.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
As someone who has only played one fire emblem game, please give me Greil and Haar. Not hugely worried about anyone else.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I like how, unlike Tokyo Mirage Sessions in which you had two jrpg fanbases that sorta knew each other by being within the same genre, Warriors and FE fans have complete opposite doubts.

"They can't make a FE game, they all have swords!"

"What? How can they make a warriors game, do they even have a story? I haven't played since 2003"

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Fire Emblem is cool and all but where in the gently caress is my follow up to Pokemon Conquest?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Chachi posted:

As someone who has only played one fire emblem game, please give me Greil and Haar. Not hugely worried about anyone else.

You're going to get FE1's crew, Awakening and Fates, and you will like it

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Pureauthor posted:

Awakening and Fates

:barf:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Pureauthor posted:

You're going to get FE1's crew, Awakening and Fates, and you will like it

You might get DLC FE7 and FE8 characters if you're lucky

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
They could go big and have a really large roster, like the One Piece games.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

They could go big and have a really large roster, like the One Piece games.

The only way I see that happening is if they do what I saw someone else in the FE thread suggest: They have generic 'Swordmaster', 'Paladin', 'Warrior' etc movesets and create skins (that will of course be sold as DLC) of characters that will use them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Non-FE fans are seriously underestimating how large a roster is if you just do the main lords, sub lords, and like 5 villains.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Jibo posted:

Fire Emblem is cool and all but where in the gently caress is my follow up to Pokemon Conquest?

Nowhere. As it should be.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fire Emblem Warriors

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i hope instead of running around switching between 3 characters its just 1 but you switch between 3 classes

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
thats a lot of work for KT tho

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You would just replace the mechanic from Orochi and have 3 versions of a character switchable, but that's more along what they'd do for DLC.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Either weapon type swaps like in 8 or a partner swap seem most probable.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
I used to love the poo poo out of ROTK 11 even though we never got the PUK in english. Is there anything remotely similar to it on steam or similar these days?

I played through a run of NA: Sphere of Influence and didn't much like it - the battles being real time and mostly hands off watching coloured tetris blocks mash into each other whilst waiting for cooldowns was poo poo, as was the lack of meaningful stuff to think about like the troop diversity, dams, rocks, strategems, towers and chokepoints from ROTK11.

From the preview on steam ROTK13 looks pretty much like NASoI with duel and debate minigames so I don't think that'll work for me, though I may eventually grab it on sale.

Ideally I want something turn based. Battle Brothers scratches about two thirds of the itch, but lacks any meaningful sense of scale or 'base' building.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

wielder posted:

Not a full list:

-Fame/prestige system gives titles/names with different effects
-Multiple endings and epilogues depending on fame and playstyle (merchant, tyrant, etc)
-Free officers can raise their own armies without joining anyone else first
-Improved marriage, raising children into adulthood. Adoption is also possible.
-Battle tactics like ambush, trap, bribe and more have returned
-Fortresses can be built on the map to use tactics against the enemy and to recover your army's morale
-Player-created coalitions
-Modified duel and debate systems
-Natural disasters like flood and plague
-New characters, events and portraits
-Scenario events can be edited

I'm pretty baffled by this list to be honest. Most of this stuff was already in ROTK 8 and 10 without a puk so why the hell was it missing from 13 in the first place?

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Am I the only anime weirdo getting Fate/Extella tomorrow?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

RickDaedalus posted:

I figure I'll give it a try. Going PS4 since I'm not sure I'll enjoy it enough to want it portable though on the vita.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

RickDaedalus posted:

It unlocked on PSN about an hour ago and I've played a bit of it. The gameplay definitely feels like a Warriors game, in a good way. It's got a lot of stuff going on, and I have no idea how well it'll hold up in the long run, but so far it seems promising.

That said, making Elizabeth Bathory an idol singer was a loving bizarre decision.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 17, 2017

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

RickDaedalus posted:

It has LuBu, there is no shame in owning this anime game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Ryoga posted:

It has LuBu, there is no shame in owning this anime game.

You just convinced me to get fate extella.

is it like Dragon Quest heroes, or more like the traditional musou games?