Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

And Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is coming in April but the English version is currently PS4 exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Willias posted:

Another Zelda Wii U/Switch comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJXpZLLebLg

So you either get better performance but less bells and whistles, or you get lower frame rate/resolution and extra details.

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich
Is that cowboy in whiteface?

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

So you either get better performance but less bells and whistles, or you get lower frame rate/resolution and extra details.

I'm not sure where you're seeing less bells and whistles in the Switch version unless you're talking about the loss of tablet things.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
If ARMS is good I want it at Evo for maximum main stage hype

Nintendo tell MrWizard that if they want Melee back ARMS needs a prime time Sunday slot

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so is their online really going paid?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I never noticed how tiny the screen is. That may be the last straw in my growing list of issues.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was bored tonight to I took the last 30 seconds of the Switch promo video and added a thematically appropriate song: https://youtu.be/rHo_GUz30b0

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

eonwe posted:

so is their online really going paid?

In the fall, yes. Until then it's a "trial".

Spellman
May 31, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

In the fall, yes. Until then it's a "trial".

It's remorse for all the people who bought a Switch early

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Willias posted:

I'm not sure where you're seeing less bells and whistles in the Switch version unless you're talking about the loss of tablet things.

In the Wii U version the fog on the cliff moves and I think in the distance as well (but I can't be sure) while the fog in the Switch version doesn't even have the fog and the stuff in the distance doesn't seem to move. The fog is a nice little touch and there's a lack of it in the Switch version. Though, these are all random elements and in the Switch portion of the video the game might have just not rendered them. But it does look like Wii U version renders poo poo in the distance a lot more low poly than the Switch version.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Alright, here's the full schedule for the Japan 2017 Nintendo Switch experience (https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/experience.html), with more corrections.

Nintendo will report live from booths in between events.
All times are in Japan.
Stream is accessible from the link above, or on Youtube directly.

January 14
  • 10:30-11:00 - Game Music Live by Nintendo Special Rock Band
    Live rock arrangements of Nintendo game music

• 11:30-12:10 - General Introduction
    with Shinya Arino, Mikako Komatsu, Yoshiaki Koizumi (Nintendo Switch producer), Kouichi Kawamoto (Nintendo Switch director)
    TV star Arino and voice actress Komatsu come on stage together for a presentation of the new Nintendo Switch hardware.

• 12:35-13:00 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Demo
    with Shinya Arino, Mikako Komatsu, The Touch (Kazuya, Takuya)
    Demo of the new features of the Nintendo Switch game Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, with guests.

• 13:15-13:45 - Super Mario Odyssey
    with Yoshiaki Koizumi (Super Mario Odyssey producer), Kenta Motokura (Super Mario Odyssey director)
    Producer and director explain the concepts and features of the game.

• 14:05-14:35 - Snipperclips - Cut it out, together! demo
    with Shinya Arino, Mikako Komatsu, The Touch (Kazuya, Takuya)
    Guests demo the new features of the Nintendo Switch game Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!

• 14:55-15:40 - Introducing The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild
    with Ruriko Aoki, Hidemaro Fujibayashi (LoZ: BotW director)
    Introduction of LoZ: BotW, while voice atress Ruriko Aoki demos the game.

• 16:20-17:00 - Game Music Live by Nintendo Special Rock Band

January 15
  • 10:30-11:00 - Game Music Live by Nintendo Special Rock Band

• 11:30-12:00 - Introducing Arms (first half)
    with Hyadain, Ayana Tsubaki, Kosuke Yabuki (Arms producer)
    Personalities Hyadain, Ayana Tsubaki come on stage together for the unveiling of a new IP: the sports fighting game Arms.

• 12:40-13:20 - Introducing Dragon Quest Heroes I・II for Nintendo Switch
    with Tomokazu Sugita (voice actor for Ragnar McRyan), Hikaru Midorikawa (voice actor for Kiryl), Ryota Aomi(Square Enix producer), Tomohiko Sho (Koei Tecmo Games director)
    Producer & director introduce the game while two of its voice actors, Tomokazu Sugita & Hikaru Midorikawa, come on stage to talk and show off its gameplay.

• 13:50-14:20 - Introducing Splatoon2
    with Hisashi Nogami (Splatoon2 Producer)
    Introduction and gameplay demonstration by the Splatoon2 producer.

• 14:50-15:20 - Introducing Arms (second half)
    with Hyadain, Ayana Tsubaki, Kosuke Yabuki (Arms producer)
    Personalities Hyadain, Ayana Tsubaki come on stage together for the unveiling of a new IP: the sports fighting game Arms.

• 16:00-17:00 - Game Music Live by Nintendo Special Big Band
    18-man live performance of the Big Band's game music arrangements, led by Masanori Sasaji.
    * One part of the program has been removed, but is similar to another/previous performance

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I never noticed how tiny the screen is. That may be the last straw in my growing list of issues.

It's 6.2 inches. Plenty big for a gaming tablet that's flanked by joycons. Switch has loads of issues sure, but I don't think the screen size is one of them, or the resolution either for that matter. I'm still not getting one though because lol that battery life.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Sometimes when I'm sad I fall asleep watching this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXtqJw3q1QY

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

s.i.r.e. posted:

In the Wii U version the fog on the cliff moves and I think in the distance as well (but I can't be sure) while the fog in the Switch version doesn't even have the fog and the stuff in the distance doesn't seem to move. The fog is a nice little touch and there's a lack of it in the Switch version. Though, these are all random elements and in the Switch portion of the video the game might have just not rendered them. But it does look like Wii U version renders poo poo in the distance a lot more low poly than the Switch version.

I can't tell if the fog in the background of either movies. The fog moves on the cliff in the WiiU version because there's fog there. There's no fog in the Switch version. We have no idea if it would have moved if there were fog. That's pretty flimsy evidence for less bells and whistles and less detail.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The Vita's screen is smaller (and lower resolution) and I've never had an issue with it.

Hell, the 3DS has a tiny screen and lovely resolution and I've probably logged around 700 hours of gameplay on it.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

it's a bug

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Fog is usually evidence of less bells and whistles.

Also the switch has fog it's just darker.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willias posted:

Another Zelda Wii U/Switch comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJXpZLLebLg

Maybe I'm bad at noticing graphical differences but the only major thing I notice is that the colors look more saturated in the Switch version, which is probably the result of the colors being corrected between when the two videos were captured. The boulder at the end might have worse textures in the Switch version, but it might just be that they lowered the texture quality of the game in between for both the Switch and Wii U.

Basically it's silly to compare footage of an in-develoomeny game that was captured six months apart.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

Yes, and when the inevitable Switch Plus comes out, I want to buy just that part, and have it be compatible with the dock and joycons from the Switch OG.

How is this hard to understand?

I guess it's just, like, not that big of a deal to me? Like, if I buy a PS4 Pro, I can still use my cords and controllers from my PS4 with it and that's nothing special. If Nintendo made a hypothetical Super Switch and it wasn't compatible with the dock, joycons, and etc. of the original Switch, that would be remarkable (and not in a good way), not the other way around.

Willias posted:

Yikes. If that bears out on release I guess I'll wait until I get a Switch to play. The Wii U colors are so washed out. :negative:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 14, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Japanese stream showing off MK8 Deluxe confirms Miis are still around.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lonk lives

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

TFRazorsaw posted:

The Japanese stream showing off MK8 Deluxe confirms Miis are still around.

Miitomo confirms that Miis are still around.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Takoluka posted:

Miitomo confirms that Miis are still around.

Every game should have Miitomo Miis in it. The world of BotW starts sparsely populated but occasionally a Mii falls from the sky and finds a place in the world. In the endgame you find out Ganon has been playing Miitomo Drop.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

grand theft grotto posted:

Every game should have Miitomo Miis in it. The world of BotW starts sparsely populated but occasionally a Mii falls from the sky and finds a place in the world. In the endgame you find out Ganon has been playing Miitomo Drop.
Nintendo should have built Miitomo functionality into the Switch directly as its primary profile system. Then make it so that you get different items or accessories for your Mii based on the games you play.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

Strange Matter posted:

Nintendo should have built Miitomo functionality into the Switch directly as its primary profile system. Then make it so that you get different items or accessories for your Mii based on the games you play.

That sounds a bit like the hats from the StreetPass Mii Plaza on the 3DS.

Man, it would be nice.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i want to thank nintnedo and this thread for all it has given me in the form of tremendous letdowns, in honor I have written my opus maximus

https://soundcloud.com/user-105123296/project-11317-1029-pm

only listen if you want to stare into... my soul

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I think I may sell my PS4 after Persona 5 too. I was thinking of keeping it for fighting games, but PC is getting fighting games as well. The ports tend to be pretty good too with the same timing so I don't drop my combos.

To be fair No More Heroes without motion controls is a sin.

Red dead. Don't forget about red freaking dead.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Anaxite posted:

That sounds a bit like the hats from the StreetPass Mii Plaza on the 3DS.

Man, it would be nice.
Like I said, I'm Nintendo's target audience here. I've played Nintendo consoles all my life and I loved the Wii but I skipped out on the WiiU for various reasons. I've got a wife who is lukewarm on games in general but loves stuff like WiiSports and Rock Band and would probably be down for a legit Wii-2. I play Super Mario Run literally everyday and I'm telling them that hard-baking a system where you can customize your Mii and his hangout space like that based on the games you play would float my boat on some real levels.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

I am quoting this picture because it deserves to be quoted.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Pureauthor posted:

I am quoting this picture because it deserves to be quoted.

You're right, two people enjoying the Switch should be highlighted and celebrated.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

cant see poo poo.jpg

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Strange Matter posted:

Like I said, I'm Nintendo's target audience here. I've played Nintendo consoles all my life and I loved the Wii but I skipped out on the WiiU for various reasons. I've got a wife who is lukewarm on games in general but loves stuff like WiiSports and Rock Band and would probably be down for a legit Wii-2. I play Super Mario Run literally everyday and I'm telling them that hard-baking a system where you can customize your Mii and his hangout space like that based on the games you play would float my boat on some real levels.

A PlayStation Home-like but not full of creepy mannequin people is probably something Nintendo could do very well, I imagine.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

punk rebel ecks posted:

PC Master Race blah blah blah

You bring up some very good points, and yes I agree...the PC Master Race are a bunch of blowhards with their heads stuck up their butts.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Lemming posted:

Also apparently Reggie said this

U BETTER NOT BE loving WITH ME REGGIE

He has before...

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

lelandjs posted:

The Vita's screen is smaller (and lower resolution) and I've never had an issue with it.

Hell, the 3DS has a tiny screen and lovely resolution and I've probably logged around 700 hours of gameplay on it.

I found the Vita screen almost unbearably small and low res years ago. My last five phones have been 5.7 to 6" and at least 1080p, the last two were 1440p. Hard to go back.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Policenaut posted:

A PlayStation Home-like but not full of creepy mannequin people is probably something Nintendo could do very well, I imagine.
Make it into a free Animal Crossing-lite. In my dream they even create a sort of alt-Achievement system where every game on the Switch, instead of having mandatory cheevos, has a piece of clothing or furniture or something that you can earn to add to your Mii's pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

lelandjs posted:

I've probably logged around 700 hours of gameplay on it.

I don't think that's a selling point for a console.

• Locked thread