Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

dont even fink about it posted:

Max Brooks found when he did some research on the topic that most police forces and emergency crews have put significant thought into how they would handle a zombie outbreak as an intellectual exercise.

He also included a blind monk and otaku with a katana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

You'd think the creators of zombie fiction would realize that zombies are so stale and overplayed that they have to come up with a dumbass euphemism like "hungries" just to avoid people tuning out.

But in this case, the book and movie are quite good? The story isn't a generic zombie apocalypse survivors' journey.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Aggro posted:

But in this case, the book and movie are quite good? The story isn't a generic zombie apocalypse survivors' journey.

The story is very much a generic apocalypse survivors' journey. It just has a gimmick.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Aggro posted:

That doesn't change out dumb the term "hungries" is

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
"Crazies" was the only name that ever made sense.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

How many loving Bears are in this thing.

I mean, it'll never be enough.

I think there's only one, the bear dude can change halfway into a giant werebear or all the way into a full bear

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Is he on like savage and World breaker Hulk rules with the different forms?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

By the way, Fantastic Beasts have now surpassed $800 million worldwide, so it's about as successful as the other Harry Potter movies.

Well, it made slightly more money than Prisoner of Azkaban which was the low point of the original movie series. All the other Harry Potter movies made between $879m and $1.3b.

If you adjust for inflation then all the original Harry Potter movies all made between $1b and $1.46b so Fantastic Beasts is still at least $200m short. I guess that's a pretty nitpicky way of looking at it but if we're judging success by comparing unadjusted grosses of film series that span several decades then that would mean that The Force Awakens was more than three times as successful as A New Hope even though A New Hope was wayyyy bigger in its day.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well, it made slightly more money than Prisoner of Azkaban which was the low point of the original movie series. All the other Harry Potter movies made between $879m and $1.3b.
I'm surprised POA did the worst of the series. I've always thought it was the best one.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It easily is, but it was also the first one to stop slavishly adapting every minute detail of the book, so Potter fans got really mad at the time

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Patriots Day has gotten mostly positive reviews. I'm flummoxed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vegetable posted:

I'm surprised it finally came out, since it was also one of those movies who had a release date that was just constantly slipping.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It easily is, but it was also the first one to stop slavishly adapting every minute detail of the book, so Potter fans got really mad at the time

They weren't slavishly adapting every minute detail before; they cut Peeves out starting in the first movie and they cut the Deathday party from the second movie and and and :argh:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Happy death day! Your dead

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this! posted:

I'm surprised it finally came out, since it was also one of those movies who had a release date that was just constantly slipping.
It's not any good. Mark Wahlberg is the least believable serious cop possible. And even the Trent Reznor / Atticus Ross score is a real disappointment compared to their previous film scores.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vegetable posted:

Berg's a good director and there's nobody really making secular religious movies about America at the moment other than Dinesh D'Souza and Clint Eastwood, both of whom are bad filmmakers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Monster Trucks is tanking as expected this weekend. It's expected to finish in the $12-14 mil range. Somehow it cost at least $125 million and I'm pretty sure that figure does not include marketing.

Ben Affleck's film Live By Night, which originally had some hype, has come out to mediocre reviews and is looking at $6-8 mil for the weekend on a $65 mil budget.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The MSJ posted:

This looks both janky and badass in the most Russian of ways.

By the way, Fantastic Beasts have now surpassed $800 million worldwide, so it's about as successful as the other Harry Potter movies.

Pretty sure all the others would be over $1billion if anyone bothered to do nation by nation ticket price inflation. Domestically it's almost $100million down adjusted. Still a money maker but big time diminishing returns.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Berg's a good director and there's nobody really making secular religious movies about America at the moment other than Dinesh D'Souza and Clint Eastwood, both of whom are bad filmmakers.

I was about to be real mad but I'll give you a pass on the use of the present tense, he ain't making High Plains Drifter these days, that's for sure.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love Eastwood but he hasn't made a passably good movie in a long, long time. At least when Spike Lee lays a brick it's still got a little something of him in it, latter-day Eastwood movies look and feel like they could be made by anyone.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When I saw Gran Torino I legit thought Eastwood was doing a favor to a film student by starring in it. I couldn't believe my eyes when the end credits came up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
And his output ever since makes Gran Torino look like Broken Blossoms.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TBH I can't remember his last good movie. I remember not hating Mystic River but I couldn't tell you a thing about it a decade later.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

DeimosRising posted:

TBH I can't remember his last good movie. I remember not hating Mystic River but I couldn't tell you a thing about it a decade later.

I can tell you about "IS THAT MY DAUGHTER IN THERE???" and the crappy ending.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Eh! Frank posted:

I can tell you about "IS THAT MY DAUGHTER IN THERE???" and the crappy ending.

Hey, Sean Penn won an Oscar for that garbage.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Monster Trucks is tanking as expected this weekend. It's expected to finish in the $12-14 mil range. Somehow it cost at least $125 million and I'm pretty sure that figure does not include marketing.

Ben Affleck's film Live By Night, which originally had some hype, has come out to mediocre reviews and is looking at $6-8 mil for the weekend on a $65 mil budget.

Underworld holding on to the lead as the highest grossing movie of the year.

They should run ads with this fact.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Is he answer really loving Unforgiven or Pale Rider or something? Goddamn that's a long fallow period.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I thought people liked Million DollarBaby, but I havent seen it myself, just the Always Sunny ep

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I remember liking Letters from Iwo Jima.

Before that I'd give him Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil or A Perfect World.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

DeimosRising posted:

Is he answer really loving Unforgiven or Pale Rider or something? Goddamn that's a long fallow period.

The answer is Letters from Iwo Jima, which was 2006.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

got any sevens posted:

I thought people liked Million DollarBaby, but I havent seen it myself, just the Always Sunny ep

I saw that episode when I was younger and didn't know Million Dollar Baby and I laughed so hard

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FCKGW posted:

Underworld holding on to the lead as the highest grossing movie of the year.

They should run ads with this fact.

Underworld loving owned so I'm cool with this

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

When I saw Gran Torino I legit thought Eastwood was doing a favor to a film student by starring in it. I couldn't believe my eyes when the end credits came up.

Ah, Gran Torino, in which a rich old white man explains to two poor young minorities why political correctness is bad.

Speaking of bad movies by Clint, gently caress American Sniper. It's not that I hate it, or can't understand why people love it, I just can't get my head around how anyone formed a strong opinion. It's so loving bland and pointless. He shoots people, he feels bad that he didn't save more people, then finally shoots enough people (or the right people) and goes home. It feels like a straight to DVD action movie (like those action packed 'sequels' to Jarhead, yes, those are a thing) except with an a-list cast and director, but without the quality level that would usually entail.

Changeling was good, though. So I'll say that was his last good movie.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Ah, Gran Torino, in which a rich old white man explains to two poor young minorities why political correctness is bad.

Why is Clint "rich" here? He's got a house on the same drat block and PTSD up the whazoo but he's not exactly rolling in it. They're poor cuz they're kids.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

syscall girl posted:

Why is Clint "rich" here? He's got a house on the same drat block and PTSD up the whazoo but he's not exactly rolling in it. They're poor cuz they're kids.

Clint Eastwood himself is really rich, and so, when he makes a film where he gets to tell poor minorities that he's not really racist while playing a character who speaks almost exclusively in racial slurs, it's kind of hard not to see it in a loaded light.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Eastwood's latest good movie is Sully, drat it. It has Tom Hanks knocking it out of the park in a role where he doesn't get to shout and cry. Made me cry like a baby.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Clint Eastwood himself is really rich, and so, when he makes a film where he gets to tell poor minorities that he's not really racist while playing a character who speaks almost exclusively in racial slurs, it's kind of hard not to see it in a loaded light.

His character was a bitter angry old stereotype who helps out the family next door while grumbling a lot.

The whole "didn't bring a gun now fight me you fucks" scene owned.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

syscall girl posted:

His character was a bitter angry old stereotype who helps out the family next door while grumbling a lot.

The whole "didn't bring a gun now fight me you fucks" scene owned.

I didn't say it didn't have good scenes, but in context, it's kind of...uncomfortable. It also has a scene where he pulls a gun on two unarmed black kids, and that leaves a really uncomfortable taste in the mouth.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Get off my lawn and pull up your pants: the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

Get off my lawn and pull up your pants: the movie

That's why I thought I'd hate it.

I guess Bill Murray did it better in St. Vincent but then when doesn't he?

• Locked thread