Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ninjewtsu posted:

i need something that isn't very serious and has some really good action

Kill la Kill :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

For real though, Trigun.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ninjewtsu posted:

Re: Cutie Honey

and also Trigun, until the last stretch of episodes

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

Chaika the Coffin Princess

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

Re: Cutie Honey

i have seen all of these recommendations except this one

a kitten posted:

Chaika the Coffin Princess

this is basically the ideal of what i'm looking for. the closer i can get to "chaika, again" the better

before anyone suggests it: i've seen some of scrapped princess and i wasn't impressed enough with the action to keep going honestly

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Soul Eater?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Ok, I've binged 12 eps of Hunter x Hunter and it's definitely not what I'm looking for. It's enjoyable, and I really like the characters, but there's too much wasted time with the arcs. I can't put my finger on it, but it's got what I hate most about Naruto/DBZ/Bleach, where stories that could be told in one episode are stretched across three, and the story/humor aren't good enough to make up for it.

I need something a bit more... out there.

GorfZaplen posted:

Dragonball

Is exactly what I don't want to watch.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 14, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ninjewtsu posted:

I assume you've probably already seen/are watching reading/bounced off the big shounen stuff, right? Cause for better or worse the first thing that came to mind was One Piece, Onepunch Man, and My Hero Academia.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Ok, I've binged 12 eps of Hunter x Hunter and it's definitely not what I'm looking for. It's enjoyable, and I really like the characters, but there's too much wasted time with the arcs. I can't put my finger on it, but it's got what I hate most about Naruto/DBZ/Bleach, where stories that could be told in one episode are stretched across three, and the story/humor aren't good enough to make up for it.

I need something a bit more... out there.

Is exactly what I don't want to watch.

Just man up and watch Gintama already. It's literally exactly what you're looking for.

Failing at that, Beelzebub is pretty good.

E: Also note that the original Dragonball and Dragonball Z are two entirely different things.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 14, 2017

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

One piece is not gonna work for him, but if he hasn't seen one punch man it's basically exactly what he's lookin for.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anyone care to recommend a good action fantasy show with a woman protagonist?

Murder Princess. :v:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i know what you're saying, and it's not that hxh isn't kinda slow, but man i loving wish naruto/dbz/bleach had hxh's pace. naruto at least has cool enough fight scenes that i'd probably actually watch it

Nate RFB posted:

I assume you've probably already seen/are watching reading/bounced off the big shounen stuff, right? Cause for better or worse the first thing that came to mind was One Piece, Onepunch Man, and My Hero Academia.

i have not seen one piece, but from what i gather...

DamnGlitch posted:

One piece is not gonna work for him, but if he hasn't seen one punch man it's basically exactly what he's lookin for.

is exactly right. sadly, i have seen one punch man, and my hero academia (both were really good, even though MHA kind of overused the swelling music while deku cries thing)

i gave soul eater a shot last night. i liked the first episode fairly well. i've heard the name around but tbh i didn't know anything about it and what i got wasn't quite what i expected (i'm glad it's literally about eating souls though). also that moon is rad as hell and i love it.

i'm gonna try to give re:cutie honey a shot some time today too.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

my hero academia might not be a bad rec for AfricanBootyShine if he really doesn't want to bite the bullet on gintama

thinking about it more, maybe Drifters too?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Drifters would be a good pick. Maybe also Durarara, though it's not really funny in the same way that something like Jojo or Drifters can be. Maybe watch it alongside Space Dandy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dragonball has way better pacing than dragonball z, but the anime adaptation still isn't as good and for the first chunk it's pretty much entirely an action-themed gag show

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

The Colonel posted:

dragonball has way better pacing than dragonball z, but the anime adaptation still isn't as good and for the first chunk it's pretty much entirely an action-themed gag show

So you're saying I should read the Dragonball manga?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowwan posted:

So you're saying I should read the Dragonball manga?

it's great, so yes

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anyone care to recommend a good action fantasy show with a woman protagonist?

Slayers.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ninjewtsu posted:

i know what you're saying, and it's not that hxh isn't kinda slow, but man i loving wish naruto/dbz/bleach had hxh's pace. naruto at least has cool enough fight scenes that i'd probably actually watch it

is exactly right. sadly, i have seen one punch man, and my hero academia (both were really good, even though MHA kind of overused the swelling music while deku cries thing)

i gave soul eater a shot last night. i liked the first episode fairly well. i've heard the name around but tbh i didn't know anything about it and what i got wasn't quite what i expected (i'm glad it's literally about eating souls though). also that moon is rad as hell and i love it.

Oh, oh! Ever watch Baccano! and/or Durarara!! ?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

ninjewtsu posted:

Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Knorth posted:

Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
and to preempt the question:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

It's a goofy shounen show and it might get too much like the other big shounen shows for your tastes, but I found it to be pleasing? The animation is good, the theme is good, and you could absolutely do worse. Also the opening is kicking rad so I'm glad you saw it!

Be warned that the anime does eventually hit a point where it outstrips the manga so it makes up its own dumb ending and boy is it dumb.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ninjewtsu posted:

One Piece is for reading, not watching. Definitely something to binge while on a plane or long trip, or otherwise when you have lots of free time. There's even a fully colored version only available in Japan that's been almost fully scanlated, over 700 chapters done.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/One-Piece-Digital-Colored-Comics

The standard recommendation for One Piece is to read up through the Arlong Park arc. If it hasn't snagged you after that, it may not be for you, but it's been the far-and-away most popular manga for years for a reason. It's never been truly BAD, at worst there's a handful of arcs that are middling to divisive, but the current arc and most of the arcs of the last five years have been outstanding.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Oh, oh! Ever watch Baccano! and/or Durarara!! ?

It really suffers at the last stretch, they just keep on stretching out the storylines. A major dissapointment.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Baccano is definitely one of my favorite animes. Durarara I liked, but I set it down at some point and kind of never really felt like picking it back up

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

DRRR is fun if you like the characters. If you don't like the characters it's miserable. I get a kick outta (most) of them so it's fun.

Going into it however, it is totally up its own rear end the first few episodes, so get over that hump and it becomes more palatable.

The stories are interesting but yeah it drags the poo poo out of them and the gang stuff becomes repetitive.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Thanks for all the recs, should keep me busy for awhile!

ninjewtsu posted:

thinking about it more, maybe Drifters too?

I'm really enjoying it (I loved Hellsing), but I don't know whether I should love or hate that the moral of the show is that war criminals are actually quite good people when they're on your side.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

thats the moral of real life

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thanks for all the recs, should keep me busy for awhile!

I'm really enjoying it (I loved Hellsing), but I don't know whether I should love or hate that the moral of the show is that war criminals are actually quite good people when they're on your side.

Also Scryed. That was a great fun beat em up show.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yona of the Dawn is as good as people said

that said the second OP is hilarious, it's like fuckin' Ladyhawke levels of music / subject matter mismatch

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The second op loving owns.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The first OP for Yona is perfect and I love that they started weaving it into the show itself once they switched OPs.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

We just finished Yona and while it wasn't bad it was insanely slow, I did not expect the first episode flashforward to not take place until the closing credits of the last episode. That and some moments don't feel like they have proper weight late-season1 spoilers First time she ever shoots a bow at a person she also kills them seems to get brushed off rather quickly for a girl raised a pacifist to kill her first person

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You're not wrong but I still love Yona, and I hope it gets a season 2 cause the arc right after the anime ends is loving great.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

socialsecurity posted:

We just finished Yona and while it wasn't bad it was insanely slow, I did not expect the first episode flashforward to not take place until the closing credits of the last episode. That and some moments don't feel like they have proper weight late-season1 spoilers First time she ever shoots a bow at a person she also kills them seems to get brushed off rather quickly for a girl raised a pacifist to kill her first person

Does that guy actually die? If I remember correctly he's not at the top of a cliff, he's just up an incline from where a bunch of other soldiers are standing. He could conceivably have survived that.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
How is the historical hero show of last season., Drifters? If I liked Fate Zero but not the latest Fate stay night, will I like it?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got the impression that nobody liked Grand Order.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah general consensus is that the grand order anime is actually more boring than the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It doesn't help that the prologue is one of the more boring chapters. If they keep adapting more orders, the fact that their stories are more entertaining will help.