Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

demigods are obviously worhipping themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

euphronius posted:

Give them GDR and resistance to confusion/mesmerise because they're self-absorbed.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
Piety level ****: "Solipsist"
Gain immunity to damage from sources you cannot see.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

mormonpartyboat posted:

Piety level ****: "Solipsist"
Gain immunity to damage from sources you cannot see.

Don't say this, some dev might see this and see it as an excuse to bring back Singularity as a monster skill.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

not CSPAM

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

redneck nazgul posted:

Give them GDR and resistance to confusion/mesmerise because they're self-absorbed.

Only when they're wearing an amulet of faith

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Time to put on my randart gear so I can clear Slime.

Sage Grimm posted:

Remember to burn your enchant armour and enchant weapons to at least +5 for your body armour and weapon!

The unfortunate burden of having to use enchant scrolls to improve your equipment and use randart aux armour. I'm sure glad nobody ever does that now that they are freed from the tyranny of corrosion. :v:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
to be clear, the kind of randarts we're talking about are the -3 pair of gloves of Okawaru's Embrace (rc-, str+1)

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 14, 2017

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Gotta keep those +0 gauntlets oka gave you in pristine condition

chukamok
Jul 23, 2010
Ah, the good old days.

Remember when mystic blast left vision obscuring clouds? I would get an enemy in a cardinal direction, then keep casting it until I got the "you feel more experienced" message.

Remember when throw frost would make freezing clouds over water? I could clear most of swamp with a level 2 spell.

Remember when monsters ignored miasma? I remember clearing almost an entire floor of the hive with one cast of corpse rot in a one tile corridor.

I miss some of the good old days.

I don't miss old corrosion, no autotravel, Nemelex portable altars, and the old demonspawn mutation system. I think a few hundred of my online losses are me quitting after getting horns 1.

All in all, I think the game has improved quite a lot. Thanks devs!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I like horns. I quit when I get talons.

chukamok
Jul 23, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I like all the body mutations now. The problem with the old system was once you got a mutation, it never changed. If you rolled horns 1, that's it.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

To be clear old corrosion wasn't good, but it always gets brought up especially alongside item destruction as if it were actually a pressing concern for permanent character damage. If you scored them for player frustration and threat malmutate and item destruction would be up the top, rot would be quite low and corrosion would barely struggle to get one point.

The new corrosion is a thousand times more threatening, which is not difficult because it is actually noticeable.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?

euphronius posted:

Demigods should gain a set of powers as they ascend towards godhood. Sort of like Demonspawn in that they gain a random set of muts, but instead it is one of five or six fixed power sets.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

What were old ds mutations like, old-timer?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Old corrosion was annoying because you had to swap gear to avoid permanent damage. New corrosion is annoying because it just loving kills you. I had to burn like, 5 teleports on Vaults:5 because there was a single entropy weaver that kept showing up at the back of enemy packs and corroding.

Is the CAO server down or is there something wrong with my internet?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Old corrosion was annoying because you had to swap gear to avoid permanent damage. New corrosion is annoying because it just loving kills you. I had to burn like, 5 teleports on Vaults:5 because there was a single entropy weaver that kept showing up at the back of enemy packs and corroding.

Is the CAO server down or is there something wrong with my internet?
It's down

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Thalamas posted:

Demigods should gain a set of powers as they ascend towards godhood. Sort of like Demonspawn in that they gain a random set of muts, but instead it is one of five or six fixed power sets.

I did a spec on just about this (it was an easy implement due to the mechanic already existing) and devs said they didn't like anything with power progression like Demonspawn. Also sentiment was for Demigod to remain power free. The idea of demigods gaining smite and a limited number of followers/apostles was looked on with some favor although that was before we had Hep.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Dynamic Monsters opinions from my brief game that I suicided out of boredom:

-It's really goddamn bad at what it was intended to do. I had bezotting pop up a lot more often when I was running to avoid death than when I was intentionally luring.
-It doesn't prompt any Interesting decisions. Optimal play is still luring/fleeing when needed, except now you run the risk of a monster going super saiyan. At that point, optimal play is avoiding the powered-up monster entirely(unless you're so buff you can just ignore its Bezotted status). This can quickly spiral out of control if your character is weak and has to run away a lot.

The first half could be fixed by having it(the status or the risk-of-bezotting counter, whichever) wear off when the monster's been out of LOS long enough. The second half is a fundamental problem with this implementation that I'm not sure you could fix.

I still don't see why luring is a problem, but that's my hot take on this attempt to 'fix' it.

Frog opinions from a game-in-progress:

Hop is good. Everything else is indistinguishable from every other melee race, although I'm playing a Berserker so that's probably half of it.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I agree with this but I still don't like demigods. I only have one win with them, so I can't be considered an expert, but I think the lack of religion would actually be an interesting thing to play around if the species by itself were stronger to make up for it. Demigods barely feel stronger than humans without a god until quite late in the game. High HP is overridden by the awful XL growth, so that humans will often have higher or equal HP anyway and high stats are overridden by poor apts.

"But Heithinn Grasida", some will surely say, "don't you know that -1 is actually the baseline, average apt and so demigods don't have poor apts at all? " And I'll reply that for the most part that claim is misleading nonsense. Even if it were true that the actual average aptitude is -1, which if I recall, is not the case, there's a big difference between the average aptitude of all skills over all species and the average aptitude of skills into which players actually invest. Most merfolk will use polearms and ice magic, not axes and fire magic. Many centaurs will use a bow. Tengu will probably cast air magic, and not earth magic. Minotaurs invest in weapons, fighting, dodging and armor and only might dip a little bit into casting. Even though the distinction between species based on aptitudes is growing weaker, it is still very strong. It's reasonably to claim that -1 aptitudes are workable, but it's preposterous to claim that they're average. The average aptitude for skills into which players make deep investment is probably a little under 1, which is much higher than -1.

Demigods really need faster XL growth, there is simply no reason for it to be so low other than flavor, and they really need better apts. As it stands, they're weaker than many species that can follow a god for most of the game. That changes by the very late game when XL growth and aptitudes are not so important, but they're just miserable to play right up until the very end. If you want a game where you're very strong, but have to adapt to what the dungeon gives you, play a human of Chei or Ashenzari. Both experiences will be like playing a demigod, except fun. Making demigods fun won't require making them gimmicky, but it will require making them not suck.

I recommend a slight increase in their base stats, boosting their defensive apts to 0, their fighting to +2 and their spellcasting to +1. This keeps the feeling that it's a little harder for them to master specific skills than humans but that they're naturally good at everything. Reducing the amount that they will spend in XP sinks that every demigod is going to invest in will enable them to more versatile, in spite of slowish growth in specific skills.

I strongly recommend at least a big buff to their spellcasting, if nothing else, because high int and high spellcasting makes for very fun casters that can do a little bit of everything. DE has that but DE never wants to be a hybrid. If Dg had big spellcasting, I think they might be able to assume a similar playstyle to that which was lost with the removal of HE.

I think demigods are in the right general area difficulty wise but I'd agree that they could use a little push to be closer to demonspawn, formicid, and naga (power with a price) than to mummy and felid.

+3/+3 is a huge buff, especially to skills as broadly applicable as fighting and spellcasting. It'd probably be sufficient to give +1 str/dex to even out the current 11/12/11 start and +1/+2 fighting/spellcasting. 0 spellcasting on top of solid stats would put hybrid and wizard builds on the same level as fighters. It also allows the chassis to be easily summarized as "12 in every stat, 0 in fighter, mage, and thief, and -1 in everything else".

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yes

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Horns and hooves own. Talons and claws and Antenas are garbage

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Haifisch posted:

Dynamic Monsters opinions from my brief game that I suicided out of boredom:

-It's really goddamn bad at what it was intended to do. I had bezotting pop up a lot more often when I was running to avoid death than when I was intentionally luring.
-It doesn't prompt any Interesting decisions. Optimal play is still luring/fleeing when needed, except now you run the risk of a monster going super saiyan. At that point, optimal play is avoiding the powered-up monster entirely(unless you're so buff you can just ignore its Bezotted status). This can quickly spiral out of control if your character is weak and has to run away a lot.

The first half could be fixed by having it(the status or the risk-of-bezotting counter, whichever) wear off when the monster's been out of LOS long enough. The second half is a fundamental problem with this implementation that I'm not sure you could fix.

I still don't see why luring is a problem, but that's my hot take on this attempt to 'fix' it.

Frog opinions from a game-in-progress:

Hop is good. Everything else is indistinguishable from every other melee race, although I'm playing a Berserker so that's probably half of it.

To provide my own feedback on this, which is completely anecdotal and may not be relevant for a number of reasons, I went into a game with Dynamic Monsters with a very negative impression of how it was going to work and came out thinking it was okay. I played an OgIE to shoals: 2 and got bored; I might go back just to see how branch ends play out, but I hate lair branches and there are lots of other shiny new things to try. I felt that a price on retreating to safe terrain really did make me decide when it's worth it or not and added a new kind of tension to the game that was interesting. However, OgIE is now a monster combo and the game never really threw anything absurd at me until I could handle it, so I only ever saw one bezotted monster, which was some random orc wizard on Orc: 2. So I have no idea if the this change accomplishes what it's supposed to. But, I do feel a warmer to the idea of placing a price on strategic retreat in general, even if I'm not sure if there's actually going to be a good way to do it.

Darth Windu posted:

Horns and hooves own. Talons and claws and Antenas are garbage

Poppycock! Claws are the best by far and all the others are annoyances. I wish you could just always have claws on demonspawn because they make for the ultimate unarmed characters.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
If you are Ds you hope for claws by say XL5-7 so you can go unarmed and win. Depending on your other muts you can easily win with as little as 15-16 skill.

If you are going melee and want to use a weapon or get your body facet very late (unlikely), you hope for horns which can stun. They also take away a less valuable armor slot, and until rank 3 allow the slot to be used (by a hat) while keeping the aux attack.

If you are going stabby or casty (and thus already playing non-optimally), you pray for antennae.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Claws are most valuable when you're level 1 and have no skill, unless you get them early and fast switching to unarmed because of claws isn't a great idea and if you're not primarily melee you should pick a weapon that will have more utility via its special perks (reaching/riposte/stabbing) and enchantments.

Gloves are typically the least valuable armour slot though so claw DS is usually the best of the worst. Hats can come with int sInv or spirit, gloves have str dex or archery, boots have stealth fly or running.

Claws > Antenna > Horns > Hooves/Talons > Monstrous
Antenna becomes #1 if you have nightstalker though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Araganzar posted:

I did a spec on just about this (it was an easy implement due to the mechanic already existing) and devs said they didn't like anything with power progression like Demonspawn. Also sentiment was for Demigod to remain power free. The idea of demigods gaining smite and a limited number of followers/apostles was looked on with some favor although that was before we had Hep.

People like demigod the way it is, so it's going to stay that way.

People liked high elf the way it was too, but it had to go.

This is all very clear.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
Eh, probably a bit much. You saw nothing.

Ugly John fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 14, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
:jerkbag:

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I feel like, at bare minimum, bezotting should either have a longer timer on or not affect monsters who blink, because that's just ridiculous. The main case people have mentioned are phantoms and imps, but I can imagine deep elf archers/master archers being a loving nightmare now, and not because you tried to "lure" them, but simply because they're already annoying assholes who blink.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Darox posted:

Claws are most valuable when you're level 1 and have no skill, unless you get them early and fast switching to unarmed because of claws isn't a great idea and if you're not primarily melee you should pick a weapon that will have more utility via its special perks (reaching/riposte/stabbing) and enchantments.

I agree with everything else, but I have to insist switching almost always IS a great idea.

If you swap if your weapon skill is 8ish or below, by the time unarmed is 12 your weapon skill would have still been under 14. At that point you will be doing 16-18 base damage at .78 delay plus a nice offhand, which crushes almost any weapon you'd be using at 14 skill. At around 17-18 skill you out-damage a highly enchanted GSC.

Claws are worth swapping to unarmed for any background pre-XL8 (or pre-temple depending on your god choice). Switching off a caster early also increases your odds since most Tier 2-3 mutations are horrible for casters and great for melee.

The exception of course is getting an awesome randart or fixedart weapon with great damage and desirable egos/abilities (Arga, Autumn Katana, +12 great mace with stats and 3 resists, etc). I also wouldn't swap if I had a plan for the character. This is an easy enough game to win and claws unarmed is kind of boring. I've had the most fun when I did something like switch to stealth after getting nightstalker on a caster...

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Zarick posted:

I feel like, at bare minimum, bezotting should either have a longer timer on or not affect monsters who blink, because that's just ridiculous. The main case people have mentioned are phantoms and imps, but I can imagine deep elf archers/master archers being a loving nightmare now, and not because you tried to "lure" them, but simply because they're already annoying assholes who blink.

Have we talked about what a nightmare this will be for Lugono worshippers or users of distortion weapons?

I'm not opposed to the idea behind the change, but right now it's too heavy handed and has a deep impact on play beyond its intended effect. In the end, whatever change is made to "solve" luring must also allow players to "park" something they you can't handle. Otherwise you're fixing a minor nag that does not affect the vast majority of games at the cost of making the game ridiculously harder for weak starts and inexperienced/non-optimal players.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Cyno feedback part 2:

Cleared up through D:15, Lair, and Orc. My staves skill is maxed, UC nearly maxed, Fighting/Dodging at 9, 4 spell schools about 9-10. Oka gifted me an antimagic Lajatang that I was already able to enchant up to +9. I'm pretty sure a Lajatang is the optimal 2H weapon for a 14 skill cap. The antimagic brand is limiting my hyrbrid potential, so I'll change the brand once I find a scroll. I found some pretty good equipment with a lot of MR, so I'll do Shoals next.

Dump: http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue//brainwrinkle/brainwrinkle.txt

The +2 aptitudes do allow you to be extremely reactive to what gear you find. However, I still feel the 14 skill cap is a little too harsh to make the race subjectively "fun." Another poster recently had a good point that players tend to invest in skills their race favors already. Many races already have a weapon anywhere from +1 to +3, and they are often good at dodging or armor or spellcasting or fighting too. They can't branch out as much, but in return they have no issue focusing on a few key things, probably at nearly +1 average on many species. With my current loot, I now just wish I were playing a Minotaur or something.

I feel that +2 / 14 is pretty balanced so far. I'll try to make it to at least Vaults to see if the 14 skill cap feels underpowered there.

e: I feel like you could give them no skill cap and Gargoyles would still be stronger throughout the game. That would totally remove the point of humans though.

brainwrinkle fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 14, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why did Demigods lose their innate stat protection.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Why did Demigods lose their innate stat protection.

A side effect of sustain abilities being cut.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Also you get stats back quite easily now by just killing things. The only time you don't is if you get unlucky in tomb(tomb sucks) or if you're an undead in abyss getting triple-malmutate rotted by wretched stars.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Why don't bacharians ribbit/croak when they shout? Huge oversight imo.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Haifisch posted:

Why don't bacharians ribbit/croak when they shout? Huge oversight imo.

These are the sort of bug reports that matter

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
the major design hurdle there is, screamitis means you need to have three different verbs for shouting. (e.g. shout/yell/scream, meow/yowl/caterwaul). frogs have... ribbit, croak... croak loudly...?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Bellow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Belch.

• Locked thread