Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

well why not posted:

My ~Sincere~ opinion is that the Switch launch lineup could be stronger. It's probably one of the best in recent memory. I'm also mystified as to why Mario Kart 8 is not at launch.

I don't think people are really gonna care that much in the long run since it comes out in like April. Only a month or so after launch. Might be when I pick up my switch. Normal people do not buy launch consoles anyways. What matters it what's on the console by holiday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Med School posted:

I hear ya, man. AC4 was really cool though, for what it was. As someone who played the first one when I was little, and every one since then, that game was awesome at the time.

Good grief, I'm old.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

well why not posted:

My ~Sincere~ opinion is that the Switch launch lineup could be stronger. It's probably one of the best in recent memory. I'm also mystified as to why Mario Kart 8 is not at launch.

Still kinda baffles that Splatoon was not a launch title. I guess they want summer crowds.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Bombadilillo posted:

VR is literally at the nintendo "we made tech but now you theres just techdemo trashware everywhere" stage. At the same VR is banking on wii level motion conrtols for immersion. AR will also be poo poo. Play a AR game in your lovely apartment. Escape YOUR room.

But that's the future right? Not Nintendo's machine that wants you to have friends for a portion of its games.

I do not know what AR can bring. When I think AR, I think Holodeck in TNG. But I will tell you this much. My VR (PSVR) is one of the coolest loving things to innovate this market yet. And I was a nay sayer before I tried it. Because the last time I tried "VR" was in 1998 at a state fair and they had this vectron thing going which literally was poo poo. I feel I am IN the game. To the point where people can get sick? I have watched my friends come over and say "Holy gently caress. I was NOT expecting it to be that real. I lost all sense of myself".

VR is where it is right now for immersion. If you don't see that, sorry I guess. But I do guarantee you immersion is not playing a loving 4 person co-op at a party with a 7" pad on a coffee table.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That's basically the truth. Launch is basically irrelevant. Remember the YCS days? PS3 has NO GAEMS and Chardwarden? Even after a pretty bad (and wildly expensive) launch, PS3 ended up doing well.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Utnayan posted:

I do not know what AR can bring. When I think AR, I think Holodeck in TNG. But I will tell you this much. My VR (PSVR) is one of the coolest loving things to innovate this market yet. And I was a nay sayer before I tried it. Because the last time I tried "VR" was in 1998 at a state fair and they had this vectron thing going which literally was poo poo. I feel I am IN the game. To the point where people can get sick? I have watched my friends come over and say "Holy gently caress. I was NOT expecting it to be that real. I lost all sense of myself".

VR is where it is right now for immersion. If you don't see that, sorry I guess. But I do guarantee you immersion is not playing a loving 4 person co-op at a party with a 7" pad on a coffee table.

Shill.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

well why not posted:

That's basically the truth. Launch is basically irrelevant. Remember the YCS days? PS3 has NO GAEMS and Chardwarden? Even after a pretty bad (and wildly expensive) launch, PS3 ended up doing well.

But lost to the 360. Why? Sony hosed up with hardware. They did add a lot of value to being a PS plus member though. Free online anyway, and they added some seriously awesome free games.

They lost that generation. MS won. What happened next? The usual. MS got cocky and hosed up, Sony had to gain back ground and the PS4 is the winner of the generation from applications, usability, and games. I expect this to turn around again. Like every generation.

You know what's sad though? Nintendo can blow away this market, and they don't. That sickens me. Because they have the IP's in the palm of their hand and they JUST DON'T loving GET IT.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

well why not posted:

Playstation was in a pretty comfortable position when they up and died at their E3 reveal. They were always going to gain that ground back.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I feel like the people that are truly angry are the people too poor to have a PS4 and gaming PC also lmao. Like if you don't have all three of these consoles you're doing it wrong - I'd never rely on Nintendo for all my gaming needs, I buy their consoles solely for the Ninty content and use the PS4 and PC for everything else. It's not that hard.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Wii U looks like a piece of poo poo, visually it's extremely ugly. The switch is much more attractive so it's gonna do better off the bat

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Soul Glo posted:

Good grief, I'm old.

Arthritic high five, bro. I was 27 when AC 1 released, gently caress.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yeah, how the gently caress am I getting accused of being a shill by someone caping for VR?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The real concerning thing isn't the "lack of games" but the fact that they seem to have way overestimated how many people out there are dying for more waggle. It worked with the Wii because Wii Sports was good and novel, so the Nintendo fanatics bought it at launch and then showed their families over the holidays, who thought it was a lot of fun and bought one. No one is going to be excited by 1 2 Switch. It's ten years later and everyone moved on.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

In the weirdest way I am almost more excited for Arms than any other game now, except maybe Zelda. Why is this game growing on me?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I listened to Totalbiscuit talk about the Switch presentation, and while he wasn't exactly ecstatic about it, he was carefully optimistic. I think he prefers Nintendo's releases more because he's a framerate snob and Nintendo have more or less tried to make their games run at 60 fps with good results. It's probably the most objective(?) reasoning I've heard of the Switch so far, so you know he's getting extra shill-dollars from Nintendo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCrjI3O0fWY

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ethanol posted:

The Wii U looks like a piece of poo poo, visually it's extremely ugly. The switch is much more attractive so it's gonna do better off the bat

Wii U is hideous, has no support, no Zelda (yet) and has the most confusing name of almost any console. It's a whirlpool of bad decisions, but still had some OK games, from what I've heard. I've literally seen one in a store, once. I do not know anyone with one.

I do know a couple people who want a Switch, though. They're already doing better on a marketing front.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Utnayan posted:

No, they don't. And it loving scares the daylights out of this shithole industry.

Dan "Eggshell" Ryckert is part of that site dude

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, how the gently caress am I getting accused of being a shill by someone caping for VR?

I can explain. Because I can also realize the faults of VR and not hamstring it. Oh, I will also not tell the OP of this thread that he should have waited until launch day. Like a thread embargo. Holy gently caress man.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

In the weirdest way I am almost more excited for Arms than any other game now, except maybe Zelda. Why is this game growing on me?

It looks fun? I mean, the reveal trailer did it no favors, but the gameplay they showed off looked good. I'd have added it to my preorder if it'd been a launch title.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

InFlames235 posted:

I feel like the people that are truly angry are the people too poor to have a PS4 and gaming PC also lmao. Like if you don't have all three of these consoles you're doing it wrong - I'd never rely on Nintendo for all my gaming needs, I buy their consoles solely for the Ninty content and use the PS4 and PC for everything else. It's not that hard.

If I'm going to lay down money for a secondary console I'd prefer one that doesn't cost USD 300.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Sex Tragedy posted:

Dan "Eggshell" Ryckert is part of that site dude

And Rich Vogel designed the multiplayer for Doom. Ifyou do not understand where I am going with that, I can explain.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

The real concerning thing isn't the "lack of games" but the fact that they seem to have way overestimated how many people out there are dying for more waggle. It worked with the Wii because Wii Sports was good and novel, so the Nintendo fanatics bought it at launch and then showed their families over the holidays, who thought it was a lot of fun and bought one. No one is going to be excited by 1 2 Switch. It's ten years later and everyone moved on.

I disagree, it's an extension of party and casual rhythm games. I can imagine the folks who buy stuff like Just Dance / Singstar / Guitar Hero / Buzz! being super into 1,2 Switch

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Utnayan posted:

I can explain. Because I can also realize the faults of VR and not hamstring it. Oh, I will also not tell the OP of this thread that he should have waited until launch day. Like a thread embargo. Holy gently caress man.

I'm confused. What op are you referring to?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I'm starting to think the same way. I guess the way the trailer communicated pretty easily what the controls were like and the different take on boxing is giving me a pretty clear picture on how the game works. A few questions still remains over how much content it has at what price, but color me intrigued.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I've missed a lot of information so forgive me if this is common knowledge, but what do we know about the Switch's capabilities in and of itself? Does it have an internet browser? Can it run Netflix? Does Miiverse still exist? Things like that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You know I don't understand something.

"I can't believe that 1 2 Switch is a pack in" seems to preclude the notion that on some level people want it. But they've also talked about how utterly insipid and worthless the idea is.

I do agree that the game would be a better showcase for what Nintendo wants to do with the Joycons if it were free, but at the same time, there seems to be an utterly contradictory message inherent in a lot of people's words.

"God 1 2 Switch looks utterly terrible. I wish Nintendo would give it to me for free."

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

I've missed a lot of information so forgive me if this is common knowledge, but what do we know about the Switch's capabilities in and of itself? Does it have an internet browser? Can it run Netflix? Does Miiverse still exist? Things like that.

Miiverse is dead, sadly.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Not really, there's very little info on the software side of things.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

ARMS looks really fun but so far we've only seen five fighters. If that's the entire roster of punching people I'll probably end up passing on it

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Utnayan posted:

And Rich Vogel designed the multiplayer for Doom. Ifyou do not understand where I am going with that, I can explain.

im never reading anything you write again

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

ARMS looks really fun but so far we've only seen five fighters. If that's the entire roster of punching people I'll probably end up passing on it

They've said that's just the demo roster.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Utnayan posted:

Is there a home or something we should be checking to see if they're missing a patient?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

well why not posted:

Wii U is hideous, has no support, no Zelda (yet) and has the most confusing name of almost any console. It's a whirlpool of bad decisions, but still had some OK games, from what I've heard. I've literally seen one in a store, once. I do not know anyone with one.

I do know a couple people who want a Switch, though. They're already doing better on a marketing front.

The Wii U wasn't a terrible console. They completely misjudged the market (Shock) and had zero 1st party games aside from mario and zelda remakes and smash and kart. Again, that's their downfall. They do not realize the importance of their 1st party line up. It's not all Zelda and Mario. Castlevania, Metroid, Jackyl, Iron Tank, Kid Icarius, Golgo 13 (Something they should definitely bring back and why not, no one loving knows), and countless others.

I hated the controller. I still hate how the XYAB buttons are opposite and it fucks me up continually when the majority played Xbox 360 and are used to those buttons being in other locations. They made progress in online, but then hosed it all up again now with Switch. The pad needed to be within range ofhe console and should have streamed wirelessly on a home network. But people just wanted loving HD 1st party titles.

That's all they wanted. And they didn't see it.

Anyway, it sucks Nintendo is loving this all up again for a 3rd time. Always against the grain. But hey, they finally realized region locking was a bad idea. I mean, we all knew that in 1996 but poo poo, 21 years later they finally saw it. So there is that. Right?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I thought Arms looked like silly fun just from the launch presentation, if other sources make it look even more fun/involved than punching springy-arm people with your own springy arms, I am there for sure.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I think that's it, but they're really customisable, apparently.

Hey so why is no one talking about Snipperclips? That game looks incredibly fun, unique and has a March release date.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

They've said that's just the demo roster.

Oh awesome then I'm on board!

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Did anyone actually expect Nintendo to change their ways? This is a company who has proven time and time again that they are incapable of following market trends or learning from past mistakes.

The company leadership is happy to keep pumping out crappy overpriced hardware in a vain attempt to find another gimmick that will recreate the success of the Wii while making it painfully obvious they never understood why it was a success in the first place.

They still don't give two shits about doing even the bare minimum to try and attract better third part support or provide an online service worth using. They are quite content scraping by on the nostalgia of their diehard fans while surrendering market share with every new generation.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

TFRazorsaw posted:

You know I don't understand something.

"I can't believe that 1 2 Switch is a pack in" seems to preclude the notion that on some level people want it. But they've also talked about how utterly insipid and worthless the idea is.

I do agree that the game would be a better showcase for what Nintendo wants to do with the Joycons if it were free, but at the same time, there seems to be an utterly contradictory message inherent in a lot of people's words.

"God 1 2 Switch looks utterly terrible. I wish Nintendo would give it to me for free."

I think it's more that Nintendo commonly has a basic game/tech demo for their consoles to show off the new gimmicks like Wii Sports or Nintendo Land. People don't particularly want 1 2 Switch but just think it's strange that it isn't following tradition and being a pack in. I sure don't have any interest in it, but I'd at least try it if I got it for free. Well, maybe. I'd also have Zelda and I sure wouldn't take that out of my console for a $60 copy of the quick draw minigame from Kirby Super Star.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Where's my Cyborg 009 1st party game Nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

well why not posted:

Hey so why is no one talking about Snipperclips? That game looks incredibly fun, unique and has a March release date.

It looks great and something that is really well-suited to the console. Seems like something that would work nicely just plopping it on a table and throwing a controller to a friend. I can't wait to introduce it to my parents, they go in for puzzle games.

• Locked thread