Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Majorian posted:

:lol: Is that your takeaway about me?

lol no, its just a video I found that makes me also want to apologize to black people. im just obsessed with that cringey vid is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

lol no, its just a video I found that makes me also want to apologize to black people. im just obsessed with that cringey vid is all.

Ah. In that case, :same:

temple posted:

It is, particular the different tribes in the Horn.

I work for a nonprofit that does free eye surgeries in the developing world, and one of our volunteer doctors did a trip to rural Ethiopia recently. Brought back some unbelievably gorgeous photos of minority tribes and the landscape. I'll post some on Tuesday when I get back to work.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Fluffdaddy posted:

No doubt sexism exist in the black community (we have a whole thread about it) but hoteps have added a lot extra bullshit

Hoteps just can't stop hoteppin'.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UXbQXIqvVUQ

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

This is everything.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

i just died lmao

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013

Is that a portrait of Jason Whitlock on the dude's wall?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

temple posted:

I dislike the disdain for hoteps because at the core, hoteps want to identify with a heritage beyond slavery. But for some reason, black people, african people, and everyone in between shun african americans who identify with african culture as interlopers or posers. Calling some a hotep is basically saying pretend african. So what does that leave our heritage, slaves?

The distinction I'd make here is one between learning about an ancestor's customs and attempting to revive dead ones. Black Americans whose heritage is of slavery don't really have much of a surviving heritage of what came before that, as a collective the connection to those traditions atrophied or was supplanted(both incidentally and deliberately) by other stuff. And because of that I imagine they see it as actual cultural appropriation, where a group of people who don't actually have a continued connection to African traditions have tried to adopt them or have made something new or even created some kind of good and useful community initiative but have slapped a Swahili word on it for some kind of African-authenticity.

Personally I agree with the sentiment, and have the same sort of disdain for those folks as I do with the person who finds out they're 1/16th Cherokee and then starts wearing feathers and telling people what they've decided their Indian name is, or the person who talks about getting back to their pagan or druidic roots before devolving into the smelliest of hippies.

The whole thing seems like insincere and desperate attempts to attach themselves to cultural things to which their only connection is lineage across many generations, I imagine because of in part, if not a sentiment of shame about their heritage, certainly not a sense of pride about a history of subjugation. If there were traditions that had continued to be practised through the era of slavery and to the modern day, I don't think people would think poorly of those who embraced the traditions. But these movements, from what I've read and seen of them, seem to be incredibly inauthentic ways to "Africanise".

Dexo posted:

I get wanting to find our history in Africa but so few people do it beyond a basic surface level.

I think a problem here is how the reality of Africa being just as segmented a continent as all the others, as far as history and culture are concerned, doesn't really mesh with the USA-centric monolith of a more generic black identity which covers people with a much more coherent/similar history and set of experiences. I doubt a lot of black Americans really know which parts of Africa their ancestors came from - in part because going back that many generations is going to mean a lineage that likely branches across West-Africa + Mozambique - and wonder if that makes generic x-African movements appealing because it's a simple and accessible concept to identify with, while also meaning that some of them pick whichever bit of popular African culture and history stands out most to them(hence the fixation on the culture with pyramids and pharaohs rather than the trading empires).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's pretty great.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If you mean countries like Chad or Sudan or Mauritania then I agree, although my opinion on the matter doesn't actually mean very much. If you mean Egypt and Libya, well I think the inhabitants themselves would disagree with this statement.

But it's as distorting of history to call the Ancient Egyptians black is it is to call them white. They were neither.

Arabs are not the only people who are Egyptian. Copts and Nubians have lived in Northern and Eastern Africa for as long as any Sub-Saharan African cultures.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

lohli posted:

The distinction I'd make here is one between learning about an ancestor's customs and attempting to revive dead ones. Black Americans whose heritage is of slavery don't really have much of a surviving heritage of what came before that, as a collective the connection to those traditions atrophied or was supplanted(both incidentally and deliberately) by other stuff. And because of that I imagine they see it as actual cultural appropriation, where a group of people who don't actually have a continued connection to African traditions have tried to adopt them or have made something new or even created some kind of good and useful community initiative but have slapped a Swahili word on it for some kind of African-authenticity.

Personally I agree with the sentiment, and have the same sort of disdain for those folks as I do with the person who finds out they're 1/16th Cherokee and then starts wearing feathers and telling people what they've decided their Indian name is, or the person who talks about getting back to their pagan or druidic roots before devolving into the smelliest of hippies.

The whole thing seems like insincere and desperate attempts to attach themselves to cultural things to which their only connection is lineage across many generations, I imagine because of in part, if not a sentiment of shame about their heritage, certainly not a sense of pride about a history of subjugation. If there were traditions that had continued to be practised through the era of slavery and to the modern day, I don't think people would think poorly of those who embraced the traditions. But these movements, from what I've read and seen of them, seem to be incredibly inauthentic ways to "Africanise".

I think a problem here is how the reality of Africa being just as segmented a continent as all the others, as far as history and culture are concerned, doesn't really mesh with the USA-centric monolith of a more generic black identity which covers people with a much more coherent/similar history and set of experiences. I doubt a lot of black Americans really know which parts of Africa their ancestors came from - in part because going back that many generations is going to mean a lineage that likely branches across West-Africa + Mozambique - and wonder if that makes generic x-African movements appealing because it's a simple and accessible concept to identify with, while also meaning that some of them pick whichever bit of popular African culture and history stands out most to them(hence the fixation on the culture with pyramids and pharaohs rather than the trading empires).
I believe this is a topic that I am in the process of detangling and hopefully will solve some time soon. There is a disdain for african americans that identify with the african part of their identity. It comes from blacks, africans, and white (mainstream americans) equally. I feel like this is a function of white supremacy to look away and find reasons for not accepting our african cultural identities. The american/european denial and separation of african americans identity is just a causality of their colonization. They have conquered body and mind. I am distrustful and challenge ideas that african americans are more american or unique or beyond their african counterparts. This is why I criticize hotep memes because it comes off as something racists would say but only said by other black people.

Pan Africanism and black consciousness are philosophies and movements that have progressed with time. At this point, people can use genetic data to locate distant family members to create specific (as in tribal) affiliations. My family has. I believe the africanese of the 1960s (really before that) is moving towards understanding specific cultural legacies. What troubles me is the surprising resistance to dna testing results by black and africans and thus the hesitance to establish greater connections. What is the fear?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

420 Gank Mid posted:

Arabs are not the only people who are Egyptian. Copts and Nubians have lived in Northern and Eastern Africa for as long as any Sub-Saharan African cultures.

Copts are also the most genetically direct descendants of ancient Egyptians, at least as far as current DNA evidence can determine. I think that in and of itself makes appropriating Egyptian culture, by any ethnic group, all the more problematic, though - the Copts have been treated absolutely horribly over the centuries.:(

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Majorian posted:

Copts are also the most genetically direct descendants of ancient Egyptians, at least as far as current DNA evidence can determine. I think that in and of itself makes appropriating Egyptian culture, by any ethnic group, all the more problematic, though - the Copts have been treated absolutely horribly over the centuries.:(

Yes but depicting ancient Egyptians as black or dark skinned is not appropriation or even particularly inaccurate.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

420 Gank Mid posted:

Yes but depicting ancient Egyptians as black or dark skinned is not appropriation or even particularly inaccurate.

No, it's not, I was more speaking about the previously-mentioned phenomenon of someone saying, "I descend from the pharaohs," when that's...tough to prove, at best.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Going back the previous page, holding people criminally liable for reporting bogus suspicious behavior is problematic for two reasons; one it encourages people to second guess themselves if something legitimately happens (fearing liability if they're wrong) and two, it could make rape victims that recant face retaliation from their attackers.

The responsibility should be on the police to properly evaluate these situations. The change needs to be on their own policies and procedures to discern imminent threats from racist cranks calling them.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Majorian posted:

No, it's not, I was more speaking about the previously-mentioned phenomenon of someone saying, "I descend from the pharaohs," when that's...tough to prove, at best.

Ramses II had over 250 legitimate sons. Dude has Genghis Khan levels of descendants so really it's not so far out of the question. Especially amongst Copts in particular.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

420 Gank Mid posted:

Ramses II had over 250 legitimate sons. Dude has Genghis Khan levels of descendants so really it's not so far out of the question. Especially amongst Copts in particular.

Yeah, it's just kind of lovely that people tend to overlook the Copts, when, you know. They have arguably the best claim to being descendants of pharaohs.

e: That's all I'm basically saying here - pity the Copts. God knows they deserve some recognition.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 15, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Welcome to Negrotown, Copts!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Copt Lives Matter

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Dejawesp posted:

Speaking as a Swede. Some racists over here complete lost their mind over a black guy playing Heimdall in the Thor movie. Because Norse mythology is their last bastion of all whiteness and toxic masculinity.

I asked how a completely fictional character based on fiction to begin with could have any race. The response went from the simple "white religion, white gods" to the disturbingly educated "The people of the time had no concept of black people and hence their fictitious gods could not be black"

All of it disregarding the fact that Idris Elba owned the crap out of the role as Heimdall.

I'm fairly certain that people would lose their minds today over a black santa for example. And argue with a 100% straight face that Santa is/was white.

this literally happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XYlJqf4dLI

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

This all reminds me of a fun story... we had a guy who applied for, and received, a summer research fellowship for URMs identifying as African-American. He was actually a Copt (born in the US, parents were Egyptian), his skin was very white, and nobody knew that until the day he showed up.

That event led to some very uncomfortable debates!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Has... has no one ever told them he's not real!?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Quick heads up: Apparently someone has threatened to doxx posters in this thread. Please go ahead and take whatever precautions you need to just to be on the safe side.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Crane Fist posted:

Has... has no one ever told them he's not real!?

Well, it's really freaking odd, like they're keeping up appearances 'for the kids', by asserting that he is factually really white. Like it is truly essential that this fiction is maintained, and that the fiction is maintained to be white.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Maluco Marinero posted:

Well, it's really freaking odd, like they're keeping up appearances 'for the kids', by asserting that he is factually really white. Like it is truly essential that this fiction is maintained, and that the fiction is maintained to be white.

To be fair they couldn't imagine happily inviting a black man into their home once a year.

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

To be fair they couldn't imagine happily inviting a black man into their home once a year.

Or letting their children sit on a black man's lap at the mall.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Koalas March posted:

Quick heads up: Apparently someone has threatened to doxx posters in this thread. Please go ahead and take whatever precautions you need to just to be on the safe side.

No matter what website we go to this always happens and I just dont understand it.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Koalas March posted:

Thats hosed up, but unsurprising.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

They might find out I like anime and Jpop and talk about it a lot on social media.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

This all reminds me of a fun story... we had a guy who applied for, and received, a summer research fellowship for URMs identifying as African-American. He was actually a Copt (born in the US, parents were Egyptian), his skin was very white, and nobody knew that until the day he showed up.

That event led to some very uncomfortable debates!

I worked at a Waffle House one summer that was 90% staffed by one Coptic family group. The youngest one was applying for every scholarship he could, including ones for African Americans. He didn't identify as black, but he was willing to exploit any loophole if it got him a boost. Couldn't really blame him for it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

temple posted:

Welcome to Negrotown, Copts!

DC Murderverse posted:

Copt Lives Matter

As a cis/het white male who is in no way Coptic, I feel I am well-equipped to speak for all Copts in thanking you for your welcome.

e: Boutros Boutros-Ghali was a Copt, and he had the best name of any UN Sec-Gen.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 15, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm half interested to see what comes up when someone tries to Doxx me.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Koalas March posted:

Hi Negrotown thread. This has happened before in the old feminism thread. Please do not underestimate how dangerous this poo poo can be. A friend of mine was stalked for the crime of posting while female and had to delete her Facebook and Google+ accounts to protect herself. Something similar will happen to you if you are not careful. Please stay safe.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Dexo posted:

Everything is coming up Goku.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

One of those times I am glad that my real name is hard as gently caress to google.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

*checks file* uhh it says here you like a bad basketball team with only... Two alphas???

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Oh my,
https://mobile.twitter.com/FeministaJones/status/820454093667921924

https://mobile.twitter.com/FeministaJones/status/820454776177561602

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

*checks file* uhh it says here you like a bad basketball team with only... Two alphas???

Three Alphas are back baby.

Rondo was recently installed as the prime alpha of the second unit.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Koalas March posted:

White people continue to prove they're the worst.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Gringostar posted:

White people continue to prove they're the worst.

"White people do a bad job and harm non-whites" "like hell we do! Here comes the doxx"

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Koalas March posted:

Was this threat made publicly on these forums, or privately?

If you need to share that via PM, no worries, just figured I'd ask here first.

• Locked thread