Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
This dude's fiancee is being unreasonable, but he sounds a bit exhausting to be around

quote:

My [27 M] fiance [30F] insists that I can't have a bottle of water with me during the wedding, despite my medical condition.Relationships

I really don't know what more to do here. Like the title says, I have a medical condition which causes many issues, one of which being dehydration and low blood pressure. That requires me to drink water near constantly (I go through a couple of gallons a day). If I don't stay hydrated my blood pressure drops to the floor, and I pass out (this has put me in the hospital several times in the past).

We were going through wedding planning yesterday (the wedding is in December) and I brought up the fact that I would need a water bottle to keep with me. She exploded at me and said that it would ruin the wedding, bringing up how weird it would look to the guests and in pictures and that everyone would think I'm a freak. I could understand her point about it looking weird during the ceremony, so I asked her how long the ceremony would probably be.

I had hoped to come to a compromise by going without the bottle through the ceremony (I can probably do this if I drink a whole lot of water right before). She yelled back that it couldn't be in any of the pictures, meaning I couldn't have it for the whole wedding.

I was floored by this exchange. She's always been very level-headed and easy going before wedding planning starts. She has a lot of sisters, and they have all been married already (some a couple of times). I know she's been facing passive aggressive questions for years about when she's going to get married, being the oldest. I'm worried if she's getting stressed out about trying to meet her family's expectations. She's been there for me in the past when I let stuff get to me, I just want to be there for her. Unfortunately it's not possible for me to go the whole wedding without water. Does anyone have advice on how this could be resolved?

Edit: I'm going to wait until she cools down a bit then bring it up again using the suggestions from this thread. Thanks, there have been several good ones so far!
tl;dr: Fiance seems to be stressed out about wedding planning, refuses to let me have medically necessary bottle of water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I feel like "I need to stay hydrated or my blood pressure will drop so hard I could die" is a pretty drat reasonable reason to keep water around during a wedding :psyduck: Who's going to notice a water bottle anyway? stick it under a table at the reception or something, he already agreed to go without during the ceremony.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

La Brea Carpet posted:

but he sounds a bit exhausting to be around
looooooool
yeah that poor baby having to have a husband who drinks a lot of water :cry:

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Stuntman posted:

looooooool
yeah that poor baby having to have a husband who drinks a lot of water :cry:

Yeah I misread part of his post that he has a ton of other medical issues that cause problems.

Anyway, in the comments, he is going to ask his fiancee if he can wear a camelbak in the wedding to avoid having to use water bottles. I'm sure that'll be less obvious in pictures........

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Lot of water gonna die.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Fancy waiters carrying around crystal filled with water like they are hors d'oeuvres. Problem solved NEXT!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Fancy waiters carrying around crystal filled with water like they are hors d'oeuvres. Problem solved

Seriously this isnt difficult. Christ even during the ceremony you can have a water of life bit added so the dude can have a life preservig sip.

Plus if shes thia awful about life saving basic treatment for her husband during the ceremony is recommend he break it off before shortly after the ceremony she accidentally forgets to get him enough water and he dies tragically but with his life insurance policy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is anyone in the comments telling him that if his fiance freaks out when he asks to have water to prevent passing out and possibly dying, that maybe he should rethink the marriage?

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Danaru posted:

Is anyone in the comments telling him that if his fiance freaks out when he asks to have water to prevent passing out and possibly dying, that maybe he should rethink the marriage?

All of them. One of them busted out the whole "sickness and health" marriage vow that she is already breaking.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

La Brea Carpet posted:

This dude's fiancee is being unreasonable, but he sounds a bit exhausting to be around

murder her, drink her blood

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
He should just wear a stillsuit.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

The medical condition that requires him to constantly drink gallons of water is literally mental illness

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

subhuman filth posted:

The medical condition that requires him to constantly drink gallons of water is literally mental illness

What do you mean?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

subhuman filth posted:

excellent internet diagnosis powers, champ, why aren't you in the psych field?

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

subhuman filth posted:

Oooh, ooh diagnose me next!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

subhuman filth posted:

quote:

If I don't stay hydrated my blood pressure drops to the floor, and I pass out (this has put me in the hospital several times in the past).

Yeah I'm going to have to go with the hospital staff's medical opinion on this one

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Why doesn't he just take salt pills so he can retain more water?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Panfilo posted:

Why doesn't he just take salt pills so he can retain more water?

He's 3/4 slug, on his mother's side.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

subhuman filth posted:

:biotruths:

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Really shoulda called the bf bob in this one

My bf of one year [28M] won't let me [24F] see him shirtless. It's starting to drive me a little crazy.

We're coming up on being together for a year. And I've never seen his chest.

My boyfriend (Tom) has gynecomastia. This basically means there's fat deposits in his pecs that make them look more like small breasts rather than flat pecs. However, I've never seen them! Tom has obviously been incredibly insecure about them his entire life. He won't remove his shirt during sex, he won't go to the pool or swim and requests that I don't go either, and he wears a kind of under armor compression top every day.

To let you guys know how severe his fear Is here are some things that have happened.

Forgive the grossness and tmi stuff but one time I was on my back, he was standing, and I was giving him a foot job. I have long legs so I ran my leg up his chest and it went under his shirt instead of on top of it. Went he felt his shirt lifting he gasped and yelled no while pulling away from me. He stopped the sex and he got in bed and went to sleep. This broke my heart. I apologized for my foot slipping because it really wasn't on purpose. I still feel bad about that.

Another time, I was in the shower. Tom got into the shower and tried to initiate shower sex. Under the running water. With his shirt on. I was laughing because I couldn't take it seriously. He got upset and got out. He was really upset so I apologized for laughing.

When we cuddle my hand can't come up too high. One night I was pretty exhausted and out of it but I cuddling him. I will be honest, my hand was kind of cradling his pec. In my tired mind soft + warm = good. He told me to move my hands then rolled over and wouldn't cuddle me anymore. Now if we cuddle he'll stop me if my hand comes up to high. He's only okay with me touching his belly.

At first, him not removing his shirt didn't particularly bother me because I figured once he trusted me enough we'd get to that point. But we're pretty much a year in and nothing has changed. It was my mistake for thinking that time would fix it. In all honesty, it deeply bothers me that this man has looked into every nook and cranny that exists on my body but his is off limits. He's freely comments on and touches my body but I can't do the same to this.

And lately I've been equating how much he loves/trusts me with his refusal to remove his shirt. I feel like, well I'm not all that special if he won't take his shirt off for me. Or if he loved me enough he would do it. I don't think that's a fair way to view it but it runs through my head way too often. I'm really tired of it. I'm tired of looking into a graphic t shirt every time we have sex. I'm tired of being the only naked person when we have sex! But I do love him. I don't know what to do. He's not interested in therapy. I don't know what can make this better or if anything can.

Tl;dr: bf has a chest condition and refuses to let me see him shirtless. It's starting to matter to me and I don't know what to do.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
He needs to get over it and let her pet his man titties with her feet.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
That guy needs serious therapy. He's a real, living nevernude

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Like I can see that having that condition would be extremely, extremely embarrassing for most men (regardless of their own feelings and beliefs, I mean society is just gonna constantly poo poo on you if it's noticeable) but dude you're a goddamn adult just go get your tits chopped by a surgeon

Interestingly, it's revealed in a later comment that he's afraid of the doctor and hasn't been for any reason since he was 20 :shepicide:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
:sever:

There's plenty of men out there with moobs and graphic t-shirts, she just needs to find the right one for her.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Really shoulda called the bf bob in this one

My bf of one year [28M] won't let me [24F] see him shirtless. It's starting to drive me a little crazy.

We're coming up on being together for a year. And I've never seen his chest.

My boyfriend (Tom) has gynecomastia. This basically means there's fat deposits in his pecs that make them look more like small breasts rather than flat pecs. However, I've never seen them! Tom has obviously been incredibly insecure about them his entire life. He won't remove his shirt during sex, he won't go to the pool or swim and requests that I don't go either, and he wears a kind of under armor compression top every day.

To let you guys know how severe his fear Is here are some things that have happened.

Forgive the grossness and tmi stuff but one time I was on my back, he was standing, and I was giving him a foot job. I have long legs so I ran my leg up his chest and it went under his shirt instead of on top of it. Went he felt his shirt lifting he gasped and yelled no while pulling away from me. He stopped the sex and he got in bed and went to sleep. This broke my heart. I apologized for my foot slipping because it really wasn't on purpose. I still feel bad about that.

Another time, I was in the shower. Tom got into the shower and tried to initiate shower sex. Under the running water. With his shirt on. I was laughing because I couldn't take it seriously. He got upset and got out. He was really upset so I apologized for laughing.

When we cuddle my hand can't come up too high. One night I was pretty exhausted and out of it but I cuddling him. I will be honest, my hand was kind of cradling his pec. In my tired mind soft + warm = good. He told me to move my hands then rolled over and wouldn't cuddle me anymore. Now if we cuddle he'll stop me if my hand comes up to high. He's only okay with me touching his belly.

At first, him not removing his shirt didn't particularly bother me because I figured once he trusted me enough we'd get to that point. But we're pretty much a year in and nothing has changed. It was my mistake for thinking that time would fix it. In all honesty, it deeply bothers me that this man has looked into every nook and cranny that exists on my body but his is off limits. He's freely comments on and touches my body but I can't do the same to this.

And lately I've been equating how much he loves/trusts me with his refusal to remove his shirt. I feel like, well I'm not all that special if he won't take his shirt off for me. Or if he loved me enough he would do it. I don't think that's a fair way to view it but it runs through my head way too often. I'm really tired of it. I'm tired of looking into a graphic t shirt every time we have sex. I'm tired of being the only naked person when we have sex! But I do love him. I don't know what to do. He's not interested in therapy. I don't know what can make this better or if anything can.

Tl;dr: bf has a chest condition and refuses to let me see him shirtless. It's starting to matter to me and I don't know what to do.

He needs to pony up the $3000 it takes to get the surgery done if he doesn't want therapy or get over this.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Self esteem, buddy :(

My [M23] SO of 3 months [F24] says she might break up with me after I forgave her for cheating on me

So last night my SO confessed she has slept with a man she works with once last week and had been tempted to do it again a few days ago. She felt guilty and owned up to me once she got in from work. She explained she regretted it and told me it was over, and that the guy doesn't work closely with her so she won't have to interact with him at all (he knew she was in a relationship, he was single as far as I know, I don't know him). She says she feels I'm not open enough and she admitted she is frustrated by the fact we haven't had sex yet (I won't go into it but I'm not really ready for sex yet, TBH I'm just procrastinating).

I forgave her and she seemed relieved but this morning she told me she doesn't think we're working and implied she'll call off the relationship if things don't improve. I asked what I can do and we agreed I should be better at communication, she didn't really give me anything else I need to improve on but I'm definitely willing to try. We haven't spoken for six hours now and I'm not really sure how our next conversation is going to go. I get the feeling she didn't think I was angry enough that she cheated on me but I dunno?

So is this worth keeping or should be end it? Any thoughts?

TL;DR – GF slept with another guy once, I forgave her, now she doesn't think we're working out, says we might break

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Last one for a bit, but jeez talk about getting dealt a poo poo hand

My entire adult life [21 M] has been a poo poo show, and I want to get off this wild ride

It all started with my parents divorce at age 18. My mom caught my dad cheating. My mom was and still is a total mess over it. I lost a lot of respect for my father seeing what he did to my mom. Not even a month after the divorce finalized, he got married to the same woman he was cheating on my mom with. It hurt me, but I eventually got used to the fact and moved on. The thing that still hurts me is that my mom still sort of has feelings for my dad.. and she's constantly depressed because of it.

My luck with friends is awful. Blaine and I have been playing Starcraft II together online for a year, be coming close friends even brothers. But at the end of that year he told me he had cancer only having a 8 months to live. 7 months later I never received another call from him, I tried calling his number only to get a disconnected line. I think I'm still in denial that he's actually dead. John my real life best friend in high school completely ignored me during our first year in college together for his girlfriend. Whom he dumped after she cheated on him 3 years later. But during their time together I told him multiple times she wasn't good for him and because I did this he stopped talking to me after I dropped out. Ben was the worst offender. We'd been friends for 5 years. I was talking to a girl I liked at the time. And I told him about it, everything I liked/disliked about her. Only for him to use that information to get her to hate me and like him. They started dating after that. And to rub salt on to the wound he found my OKCupid account, using his knowlege of my "dream girl", catfished me into a skype call with him and that girl to laugh at me. "just a prank dude".

I was diagnosed with a genetic disorder called kallmanns syndrome. At the time, I didn't think much of it until I started realizing the bad sides of it. My chances of having children is slim to none. I've been rejected by the military, my dream job since the age of 12, because I have no sense of smell. My self confidence went through the floor.

And because of my genetic disorder I was a very late bloomer. I started puberty (hormone treatments) at the age of 19, and still haven't finished yet. Because I looked younger than everyone around me I never dated in high school. Never even held a woman's hands let alone kiss one. I don't have the confidence to ask anyone out anymore after failling muliple times after hitting puberty. Recently finding out I'm Bi-sexual, it also sucked. When the Supreme Court ruled gay marriage legal, I joked with my parents if I were gay if they'll accept me. Short answer i got "only because I have to love you" with no sarcasm. Dad stating "it'll be the end of the human race because gays can't reproduce". He was dead serious.

I feel so worthless. I'm a college drop out who can't even find a minimum wage job pay his college loans. My mom has been trying to force me to get a nail tech license so I can work for her but the way she wants me to get the license is highly illegal and I could go to prison for it. Because I refused she constantly reminds me of my worthlessness. "No wonder your father abandoned you for someone else's kid". She stated regrets ever carrying me for 9 months only to give birth to someone like me in a fit of rage, never apologize so she meant that. What she said about my dad was right, he told me I'm off his will and won't help me anymore. He's going to "focus [his] efforts on his 14 YO stepson, maybe this one won't turn out like [me]".

I want to get away from my family and move somewhere else, but I'm unable to financially and also I'm terrified of living on my own somewhere where don't know anyone...

TL;DR a summary of my whole adult life so far at the age of 21, turning 22 in 2 weeks.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If he's that upset about man-tits he needs to get either cosmetic surgery or get the gently caress over it. Those are your two options re: cosmetic issues in life, generally.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiny Deer posted:

Yeah, for all that the friend zone is mostly just where nice guys imagine they live, there are still people out there who actually string people along. I think (this is me personally) that it's tempting to deny that behavior exists at all just because we fear it might galvanize creeps to think that their stalking is fine, she's totally leading me on by telling me we will never have sex but still tolerating me because she feels bad about it!

Of course the correct answer to being led on is "lol fuckk u bitch" and then having sex with all the sexy local singles in your area because who the gently caress has time for that poo poo? But emotional attachment is a heck of a drug :(

I don't really hate all men I just pretend on the internet.

Yeah, the "friend zone" meme has sort of been used to describe a range of phenomena, some real and some not.

The real fallacy is thinking that being a friend prevents you from being considered as a partner. This is not true, and I've never seen it be true.

The idea that women will have friends that they don't see as partner material (and vice versa) is completely true and completely justifiable. Obviously, I have friends who are men who I don't think are romantically compatible with me, and they know I am not romantically compatible with them.

There are ways that current friends could change that would make them compatible with me, or ways I could change to be compatible with them but that's just a function of how people develop over time.

People's standards for friendship are different than their standards for partnership, although I don't think I've ever met someone with a healthy attitude who would only want someone as a partner and would have zero interest in them as a friend.

However, knowing that someone is into you and abusing that, by stating you are friends and insinuating you could be more, is completely crappy and yes, it does happen, and I have certainly witnessed it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pick posted:

Yeah, the "friend zone" meme has sort of been used to describe a range of phenomena, some real and some not.

The real fallacy is thinking that being a friend prevents you from being considered as a partner. This is not true, and I've never seen it be true.

The idea that women will have friends that they don't see as partner material (and vice versa) is completely true and completely justifiable. Obviously, I have friends who are men who I don't think are romantically compatible with me, and they know I am not romantically compatible with them.

There are ways that current friends could change that would make them compatible with me, or ways I could change to be compatible with them but that's just a function of how people develop over time.

People's standards for friendship are different than their standards for partnership, although I don't think I've ever met someone with a healthy attitude who would only want someone as a partner and would have zero interest in them as a friend.

However, knowing that someone is into you and abusing that, by stating you are friends and insinuating you could be more, is completely crappy and yes, it does happen, and I have certainly witnessed it.

Reported for misandry.

(Just kidding)

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

I am serious, it is really terrible to keep a guy on the hook and prevent him from having relationships if you do not have any intention of having a relationship with him yourself

Get a load of the MRA over here

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tiny Deer posted:

Anal/pegging double standard: it would actually be funny and good if every dude who wanted to gently caress a butt also had their butt hosed so they'd know what it's like and would shut the gently caress up about it.

Sounds like a win/win. Where do I sign up?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Batterypowered7 posted:

Reported for misandry.

(Just kidding)

Ah crap, I forgot the misandry! There's also:

1. The guy who is bitter because he was "friendzoned" because the girl he wanted dated someone else, but he never asked her out or made any kind of move on her at all ever so how was she even supposed to know?

2. The guy who is definitely not even a friend, but who she has to tolerate (usually a coworker or a customer).

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I have no quote to post but I literally just dumped my gf of 2 years an hour ago after reading this thread. Thanks guys! See you in E/N

xtal fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 15, 2017

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

quote:

I (19m) recently found out my mother's (52) parents were brother and sister.P

Mom told me this a few months ago. I was pretty shocked.Im wondering what type of problems would this cause for me. I have no deformities but i have social antiety. Are these related?

tl;dr Mom parents are siblings.

Gotta love the tl;dr needed for a three sentence post.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

La Brea Carpet posted:

............. :stonk:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

xtal posted:

I have no quote to post but I literally just dumped my gf of 2 years an hour ago after reading this thread. Thanks guys! See you in E/N

:justpost: here so we can applaud you for severing or chide you for being dumb

La Brea Carpet posted:

You have to or it'll automatically remove the post

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Pick posted:

............. :stonk:

I'm sure the poster and his brother-cousin are just fine.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is the plot of the novel MIddlesex

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS

54 40 or gently caress posted:

:justpost: here so we can applaud you for severing or chide you for being dumb

Also re the water drinking groom, maybe his fiance is being a bitch because she knows it's actually a bullshit "medical condition", and he drinks as some sort of ocd compulsion, and the hospitalisations for "passing out" we're actually just panic attacks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

La Brea Carpet posted:

Assuming his dad isnt also his grandpa the kid is probably fine. I mean not, psychologically after that weirdness and needing to take that secret to his grave but hey he has his health.