Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

theHUNGERian posted:

Edit: GWM: Befriending the campus cat, so I can always pet a cat when I go take a walk but I don't have to deal with a cat in my home.

If you volunteer at the cat shelter you can pet lots more cats than that. I probably pet 50 different cats today, including 2 fluffy kittens, and it didn't cost me a thing. On the other hand, I have had to seek medical attention twice from being at the cat shelter (once for a bite, once for Bartonella aka cat scratch fever) and that did cost me a fair bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ohgodwhat posted:

I thought CZ wasn't nearly as resilient as diamond.

What difference would cause that?

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theHUNGERian posted:

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but that last derail was loving awesome. Almost like having a window seat in a restaurant while the SWAT/CIA/FBI (mods/admins/Lowtax) execute a raid right across the street.

I agree. Someone mouthing off with some non-credible bullshit gets what is coming to him, when he persists despite a clear warning. If it is real, then file a report through proper channels (law enforcement or otherwise). Don't come in with a wide claim and refuse to provide proof.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

If you volunteer at the cat shelter you can pet lots more cats than that. I probably pet 50 different cats today, including 2 fluffy kittens, and it didn't cost me a thing. On the other hand, I have had to seek medical attention twice from being at the cat shelter (once for a bite, once for Bartonella aka cat scratch fever) and that did cost me a fair bit.

Also a great way to get ringworm.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

What difference would cause that?

It is softer than diamond crystals but still harder than almost all other gemstones, that's all

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

NancyPants posted:

It isn't possible to just put someone down as a cosigner even if you have their SSN, unless she also forged his signature, which would be fraud.

Did she add him as an authorized user instead?

Either way still poo poo to open a credit card without telling your spouse. Compelling argument for domestic violence.

That last part is a terrible thing to say.

A credit account for a few grand seems like no big deal to me, if it freaks you out maybe you have trust issues.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 15, 2017

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

She specifically said "cosigner" but who really knows? :shrug: and as far as I could tell, the husband thinks the table was paid in full.

Yeah if she is being deliberately misleading that is going to lead to trust problems. Seems easier to just be up front about it imo. There is a difference between not telling someone about an under the radar credit account to get a good deal on a purchase and deliberately hiding it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

You may also qualify to have your insurance cover your rabies shot series! (Otherwise like $60/shot for the series of 3 if I recall correctly.)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

C.H.O.M.E posted:

That last part is a terrible thing to say.

A credit account for a few grand seems like no big deal to me, if it freaks you out maybe you have trust issues.

If you have to commit identity theft against your spouse to open a credit card partially in their name, there's far more going on than "trust issues" but hey what do I know.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

It is softer than diamond crystals but still harder than almost all other gemstones, that's all

I meant what structural difference would cause the difference in hardness, but I looked it up. Apparently cubic zirconia is more like artificial baddeleyite than "artificial diamond." TIL.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

NancyPants posted:

If you have to commit identity theft against your spouse to open a credit card partially in their name, there's far more going on than "trust issues" but hey what do I know.

I too think you should beat the poo poo out of your wife for something like that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NancyPants posted:

Compelling argument for domestic violence.

gently caress off.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Man none of you guys can take a joke.

It wasnt me that made it but I realized it was a joke a mile away.

Yes, hitting women is bad. Also telling SlowMo to do heroin was bad, but none of you gave a poo poo then.

Maybe you should go hang out on Tumblr with other overly sensitive people.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I think everyone here gets that it was meant to be a joke. It just isn't funny.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I too think you should beat the poo poo out of your wife for something like that.

Yes that is definitely what I said :rolleyes:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Heyyyyy that's more than enough of that topic. And please no more "jokes" about domestic violence.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Wait did Nancypants mean that would make domestic violence okay, or that identity theft against your spouse is domestic violence?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Wait, we really aren't allowed to talk about financial abuse in the BWM thread? Guess Slap Me Silly might have more behind the name.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I said stop talking about the dumb joke. Anybody else?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Less about the dumb thing, more about dumb redditors:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5nngfc/can_venezuelan_money_be_an_investment/ posted:

Can Venezuelan money be an investment? (self.personalfinance)

Since bills are currently worth pennies, could I buy $50 of Venezuelan bolivares and when their economy evens out... Whenever... I could have a small fortune? Or is that now how it will work? ELI5

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Haifisch posted:

"During the great depression that's how it worked here in the US tho."

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5o4cs9/need_help_my_parents_are_pushing_me_into/?st=ixzexz3v&sh=957f1de4 posted:

My dad says he wants me to sign for a mortage for our family, since his credit is bad after a foreclosure a few years ago. He says that they will even pay the down payment and monthly payments. I'am scared and don't know what to do.

e: holy poo poo also:

https://www.quora.com/My-husband-and-I-want-to-give-our-daughter-an-allowance-of-1-000-a-week-Is-this-too-much-money posted:

My husband and I want to give our daughter an allowance of $1,000 a week. Is this too much money? She's 13 years old. We are very wealthy and a lot of her friends get an allowance of over $5,000 a week so she's been very upset and been kind of ungrateful. My husband wants to give it to her. I grew up with no money with a single mother so I know the meaning of money. What should I do?

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 16, 2017

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Haifisch posted:

At least losing only $50 is a good lesson about ForEx. And they get a pile of funny money!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

NancyPants posted:

e: holy poo poo also:

Death by guillotine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My coworker gave out his SSN to a scammer that cold called him at work. The theif has been going HAM for the last 2 weeks, charging up CCs, taking out loans, even porting out his phone number to intercept validation calls and SMS 2fa. He waited for 2 weeks to file a police report.

He mused last week that maybe he should ring up a bunch of stuff at Target himself and claim it was the thief instead. I don't think he was joking. :suicide:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If he does it online from behind proxies, and has it delivered to an address that can't be connected to him, then yes, that is a good idea.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Doc Hawkins posted:

Death by guillotine.

Does anyone have the gif of the poor couples barely scraping by on $460k a year and being sentenced to death?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Magic Underwear posted:

Does anyone have the gif of the poor couples barely scraping by on $460k a year and being sentenced to death?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mantle
May 15, 2004

What is Henry a reference to?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

High earner not rich yet

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Haifisch posted:

Venezuela money redditor guy.

Wasn't there a craze a couple of years ago about Americans buying worthless* Zimbabwean currency for this exact reason?

And it's literally worthless* as anything other than a historical curiosity now, as Zimbabwe abandoned it.

* = As in, worth exactly nothing, as opposed to 3 trillion $Z = $0.0003 US or whatever.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 16, 2017

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ohgodwhat posted:

High earner not rich yet

ie half of this thread is going straight against the wall.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 16, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Wasn't there a craze a couple of years ago about Americans buying worthless* Zimbabwean currency for this exact reason?

And it's literally worthless* as anything other than a historical curiosity now, as Zimbabwe abandoned it.

* = As in, worth exactly nothing, as opposed to 3 trillion $Z = $0.0003 US or whatever.

I know a few people that wanted to get some bills as a curiosity piece, but not as an actual investment thinking Zimbabwe would somehow miraculously recover from hyperinflation.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

And then suffer the hyperdeflation needed to make it worth anything.

Like, did people think if it stopped inflating it would suddenly return to previous levels?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

I know a few people that wanted to get some bills as a curiosity piece, but not as an actual investment thinking Zimbabwe would somehow miraculously recover from hyperinflation.

I got like 5 off eBay for a couple bucks. They make amazing gifts to your sovcit/goldbug/bitcoin/monetarist leaning friends.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
How could deflation be a bad thing? It's GREAT that my money is always worth more!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I got like 5 off eBay for a couple bucks. They make amazing gifts to your sovcit/goldbug/bitcoin/monetarist leaning friends.

Someone pointed out a while back that some of the "novelty" sellers were basically laundering trafficking money but now i can't find anything about that so who knows if it was accurate or not

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

Someone pointed out a while back that some of the "novelty" sellers were basically laundering trafficking money but now i can't find anything about that so who knows if it was accurate or not

It seems incredibly inefficient to launder money by mailing currency worth a few bucks out one envelope at a time.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I got some Saddam dollars from a guy I worked with from his time in Iraq. I think it was from a safe house or something and was supposed to be destroyed but wasn't, now I have a rad bookmark.

Paying real money after getting NJPd for keeping play money against orders: BWM

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5o1ode/us_might_need_to_dump_my_financial_advisor_and/

This guy

quote:

I discovered that my financial advisor has built a portfolio for me that has been yielding an average 3.95% and charging me a 2% annual fee, withdrawn quarterly.

Later it turns out that his parent's portfolio through the company is even worse. They are charging so many fees that their grandparents money will run out while she is possibly still alive and leave nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Bad with Government bribes: buying a $900,000 horse:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...089b_story.html

[quote="" post=""]
Samsung is also suspected of having agreed to an $18 million contract with a consulting firm owned by Choi and based in Germany, considered a front for funding Choi’s daughter’s equestrian training there.
In a hearing in the national assembly last month, Lee flatly denied any involvement in a bribery scheme, although he admitted that Samsung had bought a $900,000 horse for Choi’s daughter.

[/quote]

• Locked thread