Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

botany posted:

Yep, my whole loving colony just got murdered when the family of deer I was hunting got pissed and decided to get revenge. God dammit.

Yeah some of the events like that are loving stupid. Whoever designed them is an idiot. Is there a "toggle certain events off" mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.

Elendil004 posted:

Yeah some of the events like that are loving stupid. Whoever designed them is an idiot. Is there a "toggle certain events off" mod?

No mod needed. When starting a custom scenario you can disable specific incidents.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Slime posted:

What is the electricity even doing? If they died because of a lack of light from your sun lamps that would make sense, but they just die because the hydroponics basic wasn't powered. Is it meant to be because the plant isn't getting water pumped over it? gently caress, let me assign a pawn as an emergency water giver in that case.

As a person who does hydroponics as hobby/job that isn't feasible. You'd literally have to have someone sit there all day scooping water from the basin to pour down the rails because without the constant flow the root systems will dry out and there go your plants. So hydroponic systems really do live or die by their power input. That being said, your plants should get a day of exposure before they die which is the part that sucks about the games farming. In real life a day long solar flare wouldn't kill your plants in most cases. A two day solar flare on the other hand will mostly like everything.

That being said there is a hydroponic mod that expands the types of planters you can have such that the top of the line have lights that are built in and thus don't require a grow light. You can then condense more of the planters into a room.

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 13, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Elendil004 posted:

Yeah some of the events like that are loving stupid. Whoever designed them is an idiot.

Oh, you mean this guy?

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Oh, you mean this guy?

I liked that book, but talent/skill for game design really only shines in the long-term, iterative process. Looking at the differences between build x and build x+1, there's going to be mis-steps, bad or half-baked ideas pretty much every time. I'm sure Tynan's conscious, deliberate, rational ideas about the game are at least 50% crap.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bisonbison posted:

I liked that book, but talent/skill for game design really only shines in the long-term, iterative process. Looking at the differences between build x and build x+1, there's going to be mis-steps, bad or half-baked ideas pretty much every time. I'm sure Tynan's conscious, deliberate, rational ideas about the game are at least 50% crap.

Successful game design is at best 50% happy accidents. Look at Richard Garriot as just one of many examples.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
When trying to remove the blade arms of a robutt I somehow gave it an infection. :psyduck: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/93847818663180519/F025719682C163789554D6C532F289693BAA02DD/
The lovely thing with mods are is that I don't know if this is a rimworld bug or a mod bug.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Thefluffy posted:

When trying to remove the blade arms of a robutt I somehow gave it an infection. :psyduck: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/93847818663180519/F025719682C163789554D6C532F289693BAA02DD/
The lovely thing with mods are is that I don't know if this is a rimworld bug or a mod bug.

How much blood, filth, rubble, vomit, and amniotic fluid did your guy force into that robot?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Thefluffy posted:

Old bug with Less Arbitrary Surgery, update it.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Old bug with Less Arbitrary Surgery, update it.

how do you get steam to force an update? or do I have to install mod from elsewhere?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You should have the latest version if through Steam, I mentioned it in case you get your mods from the forums.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there a mod that lets coolers also heat?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Does anyone know what the various settlements you can send caravans to will sell? I've been looking for a slave trader to help boost my population, but the game hasn't given me one in three years and only one of the three pirate traders I've seen in the mean time actually had any. I want to try and set up a trade outpost next to a settlement, so that I can transfer resources between them via pods and always be able to engage in trade regardless of whatever mood Randy's in.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 13, 2017

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Elendil004 posted:

Is there a mod that lets coolers also heat?

design your base so your freezer coolers' exhaust heats your living quarters

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I had an infestation in my Winter Mountain Palace last night after those Muffalo man-eater pack.

The bugs started digging through rough rock, not my built stuff. I didn't think they would do that?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bisonbison posted:

early rimworld had a fear mechanic where you would leave skeletons and gibbets up dwarf fortress style to terrify your colonists. also landmines, which completely broke raids (provide booby trapped cover for enemies to use, kill all enemies with no risk, repeat)

you can see people talking about this in the first pages of this thread

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 13, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I kinda wish the gibbets would come back they were cool

Landmines were necessary at the time because raids got crazy huge, it was basically just a tower defense game back then

edit:

anyway I did some testing generating colonists with prepare carefully and a colonist with trigger happy and bionic eyes and arms has basically the same to-hit (93-96% depending on skill) as a baseline colonist with no bionics, and double the fire rate. Trigger happy is worth bionic'ing up but not good otherwise.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 14, 2017

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."
Embrasures report: not OP when you're playing Randy. I gave myself three assault rifles with Prepare Carefully, picked a mountainous map, and put stone embrasures across a tiny chokepoint. By the second of fall in the first year, Randy had sent two sieges and I'd lost two colonists.

e: They definitely break mechanoid AI.

straw man fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 14, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Rikiki's Cave Biome updated:

quote:

Added river generator! :-)
This solves a lot of AI path bugs.
Trade caravans now appear normaly.
Corrected a lot of incident-related bugs.

Added a commented "static" Devil's tongue definition in CaveWorldFlora/Defs/ThingDefs/Plants_Wild_CavePlants.xml. Just remove the "dynamic def and uncomment the commented def.

I tried to reduce CPU usage due to plants reproduction.

e: Cave biome tiles are distributed along mountain ranges now :)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 14, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Also what is the combat like in the medieval times mod?

Extremely entertaining when combined with the more vanilla turrets mod.

Please send help, trapped under infinite pile of clothing, cannot process faster than more medieval raiders spawn.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A Really Good Mod.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=841815556&searchtext=

Vomit Bomb.

e: sadly it conflicts with Medieval Times (both attempt to override the vanilla grenade apparently)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 14, 2017

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Flesh Forge posted:

A Really Good Mod.

Vomit Bomb.

e: sadly it conflicts with Medieval Times (both attempt to override the vanilla grenade apparently)

Probably for the explosive pots you can get to use the catapult.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

A Really Good Mod.

Vomit Bomb.

Solid Description:

"add vomit bomb

I can only use Japanese.
English is reliance on translation website.
I'm happy to tell you the requests and problems in simple English."

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
English - Japanese machine translation has gotten a lot better in recent years I think he's trolling

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I wasn't mocking it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
So does tynan typically do release / bugfix / release patch cycle or is the next big patch to expect the next alpha?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Maybe I don't understand how to use caravans properly but I think they need some work. I wanted to do a travelling playthrough and get to the ship destination, so I amassed tons of food and pack animals, and toxic fallout was my cue to get out of my starting location. I prepared so much stuff my colonists spent about 24 hours just preparing the caravan without stopping to do anything else and one of them mentally broke, pausing the caravan loading. Then because of the delay another colonist went berserk, attacked the animals, got killed and cancelled the whole process, which forced my colonists to just unload everything.

:negative:

Is there some way to prepare the caravan in stages? That seems kind of irritating to arrange.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Except for hotfixes you'll be waiting till the next alpha.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So does tynan typically do release / bugfix / release patch cycle or is the next big patch to expect the next alpha?

He does bugfixes, sometimes multiple releases per alpha, but I doubt he'll put a lot of time into fixing the multiple build sites problem since it wasn't really on his agenda this alpha.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
I really hope this mod becomes canon at some point http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=765351437 if only so boom animals have a reason to exist beyond :happyelf: :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Generally I think release, hotfixes until it runs OK, next alpha.

The game doesn't really get bugfix patches, emergency bugs get fixed shortly after the release and any non urgent ones get rolled into a later update.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

So, just starting to play this thing and I have a few questions.

1. Should I be super obsessive over my starting group, or is that sort of a non issue? Not sure if I should spend what feels like an eternity to reroll dudes.
2. Are there any animals I should prioritize killing, domesticating, or buying? Like, I get the feeling that I should be killing bears, large cats, and wolves since they tend to cause some amount of trouble for me and I've been too afraid to send someone to attempt to domesticate them.
3. When I harvest organs, does everyone need to be psychopaths to not take a mood hit or just the surgeon?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
A single scyther with a charge lance dropped right into the middle of my loving base and instnantly headshot and killed my level 20 constructor and grower.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grinning Goblin posted:

1. Should I be super obsessive over my starting group, or is that sort of a non issue? Not sure if I should spend what feels like an eternity to reroll dudes.
2. Are there any animals I should prioritize killing, domesticating, or buying? Like, I get the feeling that I should be killing bears, large cats, and wolves since they tend to cause some amount of trouble for me and I've been too afraid to send someone to attempt to domesticate them.
3. When I harvest organs, does everyone need to be psychopaths to not take a mood hit or just the surgeon?

Download the Prepare Carefully mod, you absolutely should pick a good doctor, a good shooter, a good constructor, and a good grower. You can get by without those but if you're starting they will be very helpful. Being limited to rerolling is kind of silly honestly.

Huskies or other large dogs make good pets, they don't make your base dirty by living in it and they can be trained to haul and rescue people. Large predators can also make formidable combat units, but animals in general are not needed, they're just quite useful. If you have anything on the map you want to hunt, go for it. Predators can indeed be dangerous to keep around especially in winter if they can't find other food. You can't permanently depopulate the map so don't worry. If you want livestock, boars actually work like dogs, but don't keep them indoors. Muffalos, cows, alpcas, camels, and chickens all make excellent livestock and provide a variety of useful resources like milk, eggs, and various types of wool.

Harvesting organs will make everyone in the colony unhappy who isn't a psychopath but basically that just means don't build an organ harvesting empire unless you have a nice dining room.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 15, 2017

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Grinning Goblin posted:

1. There's mods (Prepare Carefully) to let you fine tune your starting dudes. If you're committed to running vanilla, I personally look for good skills in growing, cooking, constructing, and doctoring with no labors disabled. Everyone should be able to shoot okay, too.

(Seriously, though, get prepare carefully to save you some frustration when starting out.)

2. Alpacas give a lot of benefits (milk, wool) and chickens lay eggs although they can breed too fast if you're not careful. Until you've got some experience dealing with all the ways poo poo can go sideways for your colonists, animals just add an unnecessary amount of stress, in my opinion.

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 15, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If nothing else, get prepare carefully, sit and reroll your starting pawns and when you find the ones you want use prepare carefully to save them. Bam, you technically are using pawns that are completely kosher in the confines of the game just without the tedium of spending half an hour smacking the reroll button.

E: Not having to deal with "wow this pawn has some awesome skills and interests too bad they're a depressed pessimistic pyromaniac" or "same but they have every single age related injury possible" is worth it.

Leal fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 15, 2017

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Chickens are god drat amazing, and I consider them a priority for every colony as soon as I have farming stabilized. Preventing chicken explosions is super easy. Put down an area in your freezer that is high priority for fertilized eggs, when they're hauled in there the freezing will kill off the fertilization then no chicken explosion.

As far as using them, I set up two food orders for lavish or fine (depending on colony advancement). The first and higher priority uses whatever vegetable is around, and then only eggs or milk. No other form of animal product. This burns through every egg in your colony and eases the burden on my second food order which is vegetable and then meat. Much, much less hunting required and if you go big enough on your chicken supply you actually never need to hunt.

Other than that I keep muffalo around for wool/milk and caravans and a small hoard of usually boars, since they're pretty common, all trained up for hauling. Once I get established I never need to haul anything with my pawns.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leal posted:

E: Not having to deal with "wow this pawn has some awesome skills and interests too bad they're a depressed pessimistic pyromaniac" or "same but they have every single age related injury possible" is worth it.

That's another very important point, actually, old colonists will be much more likely to die from disease as well as contract/already have pretty debilitating illnesses that make them of dubious utility. Try to pick characters under 40.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

bird food bathtub posted:

Chickens are god drat amazing, and I consider them a priority for every colony as soon as I have farming stabilized. Preventing chicken explosions is super easy. Put down an area in your freezer that is high priority for fertilized eggs, when they're hauled in there the freezing will kill off the fertilization then no chicken explosion.

As far as using them, I set up two food orders for lavish or fine (depending on colony advancement). The first and higher priority uses whatever vegetable is around, and then only eggs or milk. No other form of animal product. This burns through every egg in your colony and eases the burden on my second food order which is vegetable and then meat. Much, much less hunting required and if you go big enough on your chicken supply you actually never need to hunt.

Other than that I keep muffalo around for wool/milk and caravans and a small hoard of usually boars, since they're pretty common, all trained up for hauling. Once I get established I never need to haul anything with my pawns.

I find the chicken explosions useful for cannon fodder as unlike catspolsions of DF your people will not go berzerk because chickens don't bond to people like DF cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Thefluffy posted:

I find the chicken explosions useful for cannon fodder as unlike catspolsions of DF your people will not go berzerk because chickens don't bond to people like DF cats.

If you really want, chicken explosions can actually be useful for food as well. If you don't mind the micro managing you can make a single square outside of your freezer and haul every fertilized egg onto that one. It will pile up to hilarious numbers, but the way the coding works they're not ticking individually for their fertilization times anymore. So every so often you'll have an eruption of dozens of chicks. Slaughtering a new born chick gives you about double the meat compared to using eggs in a recipe. I'm just too lazy for the micro managing and don't like my pawns spending forever slaughtering and butchering dozens of chicks at one time, so I just use the freezer pile to prevent that.