Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

pentyne posted:

Is there an agreed upon list of W1-2 save settings for Witcher 3 that give the "best" game experience or rather which 2 sets of permutations complete the most unique and diverse game experiences upon multiple play-throughs?

Say you went with Vernon since that's basically canon as Iorveth and everything involved with his half of Witcher 2 dropped off the planet in Witcher 3. And that you let Letho live so you get an extra quest and scenes with him later. If you say Sile lived she gets one extra scene later on. The rest doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kenny Logins posted:

There's an entry on the wiki for it, but having played and finished the core vanilla game coming from the first game, I'd add the following:
  • There's a facility that unlocks a hidden non-class skill for each of your squaddies once you build it. Build it before they rank up too much, because these skills only reveal on rank-ups.

Or install the retroactive AWC mod because the way it works vanilla is kind of dumb. The skills it gives your soldiers will only appear if they level up to the exact rank it's looking for, so if they happen to have already reached or surpassed that rank, they just never get their bonus skill.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Quick question for Neverwinter Nights 1: I see there are only "henchmen" and not full additional party members. Do I lose anything by not taking them, like party banter/romance?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Pierzak posted:

Quick question for Neverwinter Nights 1: I see there are only "henchmen" and not full additional party members. Do I lose anything by not taking them, like party banter/romance?

I assume you mean the henchmen in the original campaign rather than the expansions. In that case there's no romance and not a ton of banter, but they all have a personal quest which requires talking to them after leveling up and finding a specific item they're looking for in each chapter (unique items with no visible usefulness you find are often these). They also give you a pretty good piece of gear that gets more powerful for each step of the personal quest you complete in each chapter, assuming you stick with them.

The minor problem there is the fact that the item's stats usually complement the class of the henchman and henchman inventory control is an expansion-only feature, plus you're most likely to bring someone who's not the same class as you. But in case you want to make an informed decision:

- Boddyknock gives you a ring with Charisma and 1 Regen (like Boddyknock himself, the worst of the lot)

- Daelan gives you an amulet with Strength, Fear Immunity and later some Spell Resistance

- Grimgnaw gives you an amulet with Constitution, Spell Resistance and later Level/Ability drain immunity

- Linu gives you an amulet with Dexterity and Darkvision which later turns into Mind-Affecting Spell Immunity

- Sharwyn gives you a belt with Charisma, +Perform and +Persuade

- Tomi gives you a ring with Dexterity and +various thief skills

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 13, 2017

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Pierzak posted:

It's the same six dudes in each act, so make sure you hire them all at least once in the first act. They all have 3-part fetch quests for each of the first 3 acts (the first two parts are usually wringing information out of them), which is rewarded with a piece of gear that gets better each quest you do. They are gated by level; you can get the first part of each quest just for asking, but parts two and three require being level 5 and 6 in Chapter 1, 9 and 10 in Chapter 2, 15 and 16 in Chapter 3. There are no Chapter 4 quests; whoever you're employing at the end of Chapter 3 is your pal until the end of the game.

You can only take one at a time, and I don't remember there being much in the way of romance, so besides their unique trinkets you won't be missing out on much. They're still pretty handy to have around for support.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

If I remember right, 'Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark is the game where Bioware pretty much introduced the 'companion has a personality and actually talks with you at times' thing.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
OK, so not worth it until the expansions where I should probably try them out. Thanks.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Pierzak posted:

OK, so not worth it until the expansions where I should probably try them out. Thanks.

Just grab whichever compliments your class in combat and leave it at that. Hard to go wrong with oopsie daisy Cleric lady, or the Rogue if you want a Roguish skill bot.

Companions are way, way better in the official expansions, yes.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SoU is poo poo too, just play HotU and fan modules

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Having a second body is definitely worth it and the game is balanced around having two people, just bring Daelan to tank and axe people for you if you don't care about it otherwise.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Lakbay posted:

Any tips for Romancing SaGa 3? I beat the android remake of RS2 but I had to use a guide because holy crap the NPCs get bad at telling you available quests shortly after the beginning of that game. I chose Harid and the NPCs seem to be slightly better at giving me quests but I have no idea how to make money to upgrade equipment/buy spells

Oh man, it's been ages since I played this game, but I'll see what I can remember (Note that I played the game on a fan translation, so the names may be different if it ever had a real re-release with a professional translation):
-Your main character pick doesn't matter that much, but there are some characters that get extra bonuses. Off the top of my head, you can only ever get Katrina if you pick her as your starting character; Harid has the Falchion locked into his first weapon slot and you can never replace it unless he's your main, in which case you can do the tower dungeon in the east (King's Capitol?) to get a signficantly better one; the last few fights must be fought in Commander Mode if you choose Sara; Mikhail gets access to the kingdom management and warfare minigame.
-Herman is a pretty dreadful character normally, but if he's in your party when you defeat Forneus, he regains his youth and becomes Black, the best Axe user in the game.
-Tatiyana (Eclair/Crepe/etc) will force herself into your party if you let her, but she'll automatically leave if you go to Librof.
-Sharl is a pretty bad character until you complete Muse's Dream, which gives you the Silver Hand which increases your stats dramatically.
-It's pretty hard to screw yourself over, and all the characters are viable at worst, so have fun trying out weird party comps.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Anything I should know before diving into Dishonored 2? Do I need to reign in my bloodlust to get a happy ending like in the last one?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Russian Remoulade posted:

Anything I should know before diving into Dishonored 2? Do I need to reign in my bloodlust to get a happy ending like in the last one?

Yeah

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

pentyne posted:

Far Harbor is generally regarded as the only "good" one. After that its Nuka-World and Automaton which seem to be pretty decent going by reviews. The Vault-Tec and Workshops are universally hated as being expensive for barely any new content aside from some settlement only things.

There's a lot of hate because the season pass was originally $30, then jacked up to $50 for the "quality and depth of all the new content".
I suppose I would not have paid $50 for the Season Pass either, but if you are the right kind of person then there is no overstating how useful the Vault-Tec Workshop's population management terminals are. I had basically long since lost interest in outpost management by the time that expansion came out, but using the terminal for like 15 minutes got me caring again through the rest of my playthrough.

(Also I felt Automaton was kind of dull though I did love the companion you get [sidebar, who can disappear completely for no reason, and who I was only able to recover due to aforementioned population management terminal], but Nuka-World was so good that I forgive them for Far Harbor basically being "Point Lookout again" (though still fun).

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anything I should know starting out in The Flame in The Flood?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Gonna disagree with the "don't play rogues" advice on NWN1. Rogues are great fun, and undead aren't nearly as prevalent as in NWN2 so sneak attack scales and stays relevant. Splash some ranger and wizard levels to get dual wield/ambidexterity and legit caster levels for good buffs like stoneskin and haste. Be sure to max out Use Magic Device (the best skill in 3.x D&D) for extra hilarity like wearing monk robes while you do it. Kukris are a great weapon choice for maxing crit capability.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah I guess my opinion of rogues is discolored from the early game, where they are goddamn everywhere. There are more beastmen and eldritch-type enemies as the game goes on. Still a fair share of undeads, though, including a couple liches, and the cleric companion is pretty :geno: iirc, I felt like I had a lot more fun bringing the rogue NPC instead of playing one myself.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Pierzak posted:

Just skip the basic campaign entirely. There is absolutely no need to play it before SoU/HotU.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

chairface posted:

Gonna disagree with the "don't play rogues" advice on NWN1. Rogues are great fun, and undead aren't nearly as prevalent as in NWN2 so sneak attack scales and stays relevant. Splash some ranger and wizard levels to get dual wield/ambidexterity and legit caster levels for good buffs like stoneskin and haste. Be sure to max out Use Magic Device (the best skill in 3.x D&D) for extra hilarity like wearing monk robes while you do it. Kukris are a great weapon choice for maxing crit capability.

At what point does "what should I know before I play" include "if you already have a deep understanding of the 3rd edition D&D rules including how broken multiclassing is then it is possible to play any class you want in NWN even a rogue just make sure you shore up your weaknesses with your other party members, already have memorized the pain points in the game, and take the use magic device skill oh hey buy the way here's a ranking of late-game power builds".

:v:

I think you could make the wiki more explicit that 3rd ed rules apply without too many surprises so experienced players can jump straight in.

It also has the very good advice that until you learn 3rd rules and memorize a little of the game you want to play something with good HP because being taken out by one random attack at low levels sucks. Play a fighty first, learn the ropes, then do the wizarding.

The Lone Badger posted:

Just skip the basic campaign entirely. There is absolutely no need to play it before SoU/HotU.

The page both says skip it, and to play the opening bit for the tutorial. Needs a little cleanup.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

revdrkevind posted:

Play a fighty first,

One of my most fun characters was a fighter/weapon master with two bladed swords as his speciality. So many attacks per round..

Shame they got taken out for 2.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

revdrkevind posted:

The page both says skip it, and to play the opening bit for the tutorial. Needs a little cleanup.

That doesn't seem extremely confusing to me: play the tutorial, then skip the rest. Could be better-worded I suppose.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I'm not huge on absolute "Skip this" and "Play this class" -kind of tips unless they're real no-brainers so I tend to word them as recommendations and things to take into consideration instead.

Anyway, I've edited the NWN 1 page, expanded on some things and removed some stuff, shuffled things around. Fixed that link. Hopefully it's a little better now.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've been playing Max Payne 3 and I've got some tips. Disclaimer for all of the below: I've been playing on easy mode because I'm a babby and so if any of the mechanics change on higher difficulties, someone please correct me, but these seem pretty smart to me:

- Manually eating painkillers is a bad idea unless you're maxed out and need to eat one to make room for another pickup. That's because the game has a mechanic in which, if you're about to die, the game goes into slow-mo and gives you a chance to kill the person who attacked you. If you succeed, you get a bunch of your health back, at the cost of one painkiller bottle. The amount of health restored is greater than what you'd get if you ate the bottle manually, so I don't really see the point in manually using them, since all of the revenge-kills so far have been really easy.

- Generally you want to avoid diving, as it's very risky. It consumes a good chunk of your bullet time, and at the end, it leaves you exposed and out of cover. The smarter move is to play in a more controlled manner and use bullet time from cover, or while moving on your feet.

- However! Diving has its uses. Even if you're completely out of bullet time juice, you can still use your dive and the game will go into slow-mo for the entire duration of your jump. So if you're out of bullet time, and you're confident that you can safely execute a dive, go nuts. It's a good last-ditch move for when you've got nothing left to lose.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Started Dead Rising 3 and previous comments I can find were:

Barudak posted:

Any item you've ever picked up is in lockers. Any combo item you've ever built is in the lockers.

Food is the one exception to this rule but the combo item made with a keg+construction hat is not. BUILD IT ASAP.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

The little chunky-bar at the bottom when you're in the locker menu is how much, I dunno, locker energy? You've got to spend. So combo weapons use about as much as two individual items, super-combos are like two combos put together, etc.

All you super-need-to-know is that they don't really explain it well in the skills is: picking up the icon for a category lets you sub anything in that category for anything else in recipes. Which can get real nasty when mid-game you can take any two guns and slam them into one of the best ranged weapons in the game. Oh and it should be obvious but taking Smarts early (for the PP gain boosts) is a great idea.

Also-also, if it's on PC, save BEFORE you access the survivor board in safehouses, especially if you've got people following you. It locks up sometimes and then you're at the mercy of your most recent autosave.

is there anything else I should know? One thing I'm not sure of is whether I should be delaying finishing main quests to finish subquests, because I just noticed that the chapter advanced after getting back to a main quest, and i didn't finish a subquest yet and i'm not sure if i gave it up as a result

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Kanfy posted:

I'm not huge on absolute "Skip this" and "Play this class" -kind of tips unless they're real no-brainers so I tend to word them as recommendations and things to take into consideration instead.

Anyway, I've edited the NWN 1 page, expanded on some things and removed some stuff, shuffled things around. Fixed that link. Hopefully it's a little better now.

Much better, I feel like I'm reading an actual curated wiki entry. :v:

As said games like this I'd like a quick minder that this is DND 3.x rules and how closely it follows the books. That enables anyone familiar with the rules to jump in quickly. It's not quite as severe as warning people about Baldur's Gate due to AD&D/THAC0, but generally I think it would be a nice thing to keep in mind.

I was going to say this will be come a bigger thing once we get 4th ed and 5th ed games...is there still no game using 4th ed rules?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

revdrkevind posted:

Much better, I feel like I'm reading an actual curated wiki entry. :v:

As said games like this I'd like a quick minder that this is DND 3.x rules and how closely it follows the books. That enables anyone familiar with the rules to jump in quickly. It's not quite as severe as warning people about Baldur's Gate due to AD&D/THAC0, but generally I think it would be a nice thing to keep in mind.

I was going to say this will be come a bigger thing once we get 4th ed and 5th ed games...is there still no game using 4th ed rules?

Based on The Other Wiki, they kinda stopped adapting the D&D tabletop systems directly to computer games after Sword Coast Legends in 2015. D&D Daggerdale apparently uses a limited version of 4th Ed, and then people started to notice how transferring TT rules whole-cloth to computer games wasn't a particularly great idea.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I just got Obduction. This is a bit of a weird question, but how important is it to keep the audio on for that game?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mzbundifund posted:

I just got Obduction. This is a bit of a weird question, but how important is it to keep the audio on for that game?

Not very, although there are some audio logs with pertinent info (probably subtitled if you turn that on) and some nice music cues as well. IIRC there are not any puzzles that rely on sound specifically, but there will be nonessential hints that are delivered via sound cues.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

MMF Freeway posted:

Not very, although there are some audio logs with pertinent info (probably subtitled if you turn that on) and some nice music cues as well. IIRC there are not any puzzles that rely on sound specifically, but there will be nonessential hints that are delivered via sound cues.

Ok thanks. I have a buddy who lives 900 miles away and we like to play puzzle games together. Steam's streaming is delayed by ~20 seconds which is aggravating, while skype's screen share is very fast but doesn't have audio. If you know a faster way to beam my screen to him let me know.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

duckfarts posted:

Started Dead Rising 3 and previous comments I can find were:

is there anything else I should know? One thing I'm not sure of is whether I should be delaying finishing main quests to finish subquests, because I just noticed that the chapter advanced after getting back to a main quest, and i didn't finish a subquest yet and i'm not sure if i gave it up as a result

You can, with some effort, 100% the game on your first run (all collectibles and all side missions). As a rule of thumb do all side missions as they pop up then do the plot missions unless for whatever reason you dont have enough time.

As for collectibles grab whatever you see as there are eventually upgrades to show their locations on the map (only one i needed a guide to figure out how the hell the game wanted me to reach it) and whatever you dont collect will remain in any subsequent playthrough.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

Ok thanks. I have a buddy who lives 900 miles away and we like to play puzzle games together. Steam's streaming is delayed by ~20 seconds which is aggravating, while skype's screen share is very fast but doesn't have audio. If you know a faster way to beam my screen to him let me know.

Microsoft's twitch competitor (beam.pro) is really low latency, but that's probably overkill for an intended audience of 1.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've been playing Max Payne 3 and I've got some tips. Disclaimer for all of the below: I've been playing on easy mode because I'm a babby and so if any of the mechanics change on higher difficulties, someone please correct me, but these seem pretty smart to me:

- Manually eating painkillers is a bad idea unless you're maxed out and need to eat one to make room for another pickup. That's because the game has a mechanic in which, if you're about to die, the game goes into slow-mo and gives you a chance to kill the person who attacked you. If you succeed, you get a bunch of your health back, at the cost of one painkiller bottle. The amount of health restored is greater than what you'd get if you ate the bottle manually, so I don't really see the point in manually using them, since all of the revenge-kills so far have been really easy.

It's been quite a while since I've played Max Payne 3 but IIRC on the higher difficulties you get much less health from revenge-killing guys than from just eating the painkillers. Try to keep at least one bottle around for when you get amubshed, however.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

bbcisdabomb posted:

It's been quite a while since I've played Max Payne 3 but IIRC on the higher difficulties you get much less health from revenge-killing guys than from just eating the painkillers. Try to keep at least one bottle around for when you get amubshed, however.

Ah, well. If true, that would change things significantly!

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Mzbundifund posted:

It takes some setup but Voicemeeter allows you to mix your microphone + game audio and send that over Skype. There's tutorial videos below the download links.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm replaying on hard and this does seem to be the case. The game plays nice though. I don't remember any instance of actually running out of painkillers on normal or hard... Whenever I get low, I find some before the next fight. I think it might be following RE4 rules for items.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the caves of qud entry on the wiki could use an overhaul

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Mzbundifund posted:

Internet Friend posted:

It takes some setup but Voicemeeter allows you to mix your microphone + game audio and send that over Skype. There's tutorial videos below the download links.

I'm sure you could figure out Virtual Audio Cable to do the same, as you both LP.

I'm not sure if that program is current anymore.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
A few other things regarding the new Hitman:

* Sometimes items that are laying around and seem normal (kitchen knives, letter openers and lead pipes come to mind) can be counted as illegal items for certain disguises and if there's people next to you, you might blow a good run. Tools will usually be fine and you should always pick them up (as well as rat poison) because nothing is more irritating than figuring out a good approach and not having the right tool to create a gas leak or electrify a puddle.

* The game doesn't really make clear a few things about mastery, challenges and unlocks that are good to know.

1. Mastery is per location, not per mission. Locations with multiple missions (Paris, Sapienza and Marrakesh) will have mastery shared between them and so doing a run through of both missions at first will net you the easy mastery that you tend to get from first runs.

2. Challenges that don't list a target by name can be achieved through custom Contracts. Some of them basically must be done on custom Contracts like the Master Sniper ones on Sapienza. Also if a challenge says 'kill N targets using whatever method' then it means that many separate targets, not that you kill the same targets over and over again. Again, contracts are necessary here.

3. Equipment unlocks are global. I did the first few missions by doing them over and over again until I got max mastery, but really doing a few plays of all the missions to get the first few unlocks can give you more equipment to mess around with in all the other levels. Most of the Mastery Level 5 unlocks are either highly situational or really stupid, but some of the level 10 ones are useful and you can typically hit 10 after a couple runs.

Finally, don't be shy to look up some of the redacted challenges because some are nigh impossible to figure out on your own yet really unique. My favorite that I'd have never discovered on my own involved going halfway through an opportunity, then ignoring it, changing to a specific disguise, then leading one target to the other target, and none of the stuff in the second half is prompted but yet it had an awesome pay off.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

edit: nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
e: also nvm then

look them up people they're fun