Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Cap has an entire wing of the Smithsonian dedicated to him and people know his real name. He's the most famous / admired powered person in the world.

Not to mention trading cards and comic books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Soggy Cereal posted:

Batman v Superman kind of requires a reading where Batman is blatantly in the wrong, so the two "sides" will always be people that rightfully see Superman as the good guy unfairly targeted by a xenophobic violently brutal vigilante, and people that just love Batman or say Not My Batman. Of course they weren't trying to tell the same kind of story as Civil War, but I was a little disappointed that the conflict wasn't more ideological in some way.

I'm imagining a version of BvS where Luthor's motivation is something "humanizing" like his father was killed in Superman's fight with Zod and Batman pulls back from killing Superman because Luthor inadvertantly teaches him REVENGE..... CARRIES A COST... ON YOUR SOUL and it would be so bland and mediocre, ick.

Let Marvel do the movies about moral relativism and let DC keep it bold and iconic, IMO.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 14, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Gotta admit the constant repeating of "FUN" and "shift in tone" regarding future DCEU movies is becoming somewhat irritating

https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/820030428950052864

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not a big fan of trying to read the filmmaker's intentions, but your reading isn't supported by the film. If they wanted to make the movie a simplistic conflict where Cap is clearly in the right, they could have done so.

I read your entire post, but I'm quoting this just because I feel this is exactly what they ended up doing. And I while I think the movie is a lot of fun and really well made overall I think that's just as simplistic a reading as it deserves. Like, what do you think the movie is trying to say about who is more right when in the final act the following things happen:

The movie tells us that Iron Man's personal objective: killing someone to get revenge, is a terrible thing to do via Black Panther and Zemo's conversation. Iron Man is wrong.

Cap definitively beats Iron Man within an inch of his life and saves his friend.

The film makers give Cap the final word in the movie regarding their conflict via that letter, making him "the bigger man."

Iron Man decides to go out of his way to allow all of Cap's imprisoned friends to go free.

The movie definitively ends on the note that Cap did the right thing for the right reasons even if he definitely comes off like a paranoid sovereign citizen. And we even learn that Stark's beef with Bucky isn't even going to be a thing, since the flick opens up with him working on perfecting technology that can remove specific memories from someone's mind, meaning between that and Bucky hanging in the super high tech environment of Wakanda we're going to see a fully cured Bucky in the next movies. Stark opens the movie working on advanced technology to allow him to let go, and then spends the entire movie being unable to let go until Captain America literally cracks him open and screams at him to a lot. The seeds of him wanting folks to be reigned in take full root when T'Challa's dad dies, he hates this guy who ends up being the guy that goes around killing the good guys' parents -killing their connection to their past- even though Bucky was literally not in control of his actions at all. Basically the entire movie has an undercurrent of stuff setting up Iron Man definitively being wrong at the end.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I'm imagining a version of BvS where Luthor's motivation is something "humanizing" like his father was killed in Superman's fight with Zod and Batman pulls back from killing Superman because Luthor inadvertantly teaches him REVENGE..... CARRIES A COST... ON YOUR SOUL and it would be so bland and mediocre, ick.

Let Marvel do the movies about moral relativism and let DC keep it bold and iconic, IMO.

That reminds me of all the Conan the Barbarian enemies in the original stories whose entire origin was "Conan massacred my parents and their people in whatever battle and I want revenge." Oops.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 14, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Gotta admit the constant repeating of "FUN" and "shift in tone" regarding future DCEU movies is becoming somewhat irritating

If Suicide Squad is their idea of fun I fear for the future of DC movies.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Renoistic posted:

If Suicide Squad is their idea of fun I fear for the future of DC movies.

Seriously. "Tone" isn't the issue with the recent DC films. Incoherent, jumbled storytelling is.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Shageletic posted:

Admittedly, I have not watched Man of Steel, other than snippets.

But for Batman, I perceived what he was thinking by his actions, i.e. a deepening distrust and fear of Superman. But I didn't any inner struggle against it, to be all high faluting about it, his internal dialogue was psychologically inert to me. It was one note, since a typical interior mind is marked by a struggle between different needs and wants, vying for primacy. Batman did not like Superman.

Then suddenly he did. Civil War isn't a character study, but the main characters were visibly struggling internally, their decision marked by regret and conflict.

I think Superman has richer character dynamics than Batman, but not by much. Cavill managed to play ambigious emotions on his face during the movie, but I do think he suffered from a script that was intent on portraying him as the good man done wrong by the world, and not being interesting enough to play with complex emotions or ideas in his character motivations.

What do you think Batman's torture and branding of a child predator and sex slave trafficker says about his state of mind and relationship to Superman? Why do you think Superman becomes deeply unsettled when the ruthlessly exploited Mexican workers reach out to him?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

KVeezy3 posted:

What do you think Batman's torture and branding of a child predator and sex slave trafficker says about his state of mind and relationship to Superman? Why do you think Superman becomes deeply unsettled when the ruthlessly exploited Mexican workers reach out to him?

Look, if superman doesn't quip his emotional state at lois I'm really not going to understand how the guy feels.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

KVeezy3 posted:

What do you think Batman's torture and branding of a child predator and sex slave trafficker says about his state of mind and relationship to Superman?

Power top.

quote:

Why do you think Superman becomes deeply unsettled when the ruthlessly exploited Mexican workers reach out to him?

Has an erection.

Prove me wrong

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mulva posted:

Power top.

Has an erection.

Prove me wrong

He gets a second one after the courthouse explodes, which explains the expression.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

He gets a second one after the courthouse explodes, which explains the expression.

I never placed it, but yeah, Doomsday killing Superman has some definite sexual undertones.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I want Zack Snyder to direct a non-superhero remake of Excalibur. That movie is 80's fantasy as gently caress so it is ripe for a remake. I bet he'd direct something special.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It is irritating, but it is also just ad-speak. I wouldn't get too worried about it.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

That's not what I imagined at all but ok.

I guess one of them has to be the bad guy, since most of the time they're supposed to be friends. As far as I know, all the times they fight in the comics are due to one or the other being "out of character" in some way anyway.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jimbot posted:

I want Zack Snyder to direct a non-superhero remake of Excalibur. That movie is 80's fantasy as gently caress so it is ripe for a remake. I bet he'd direct something special.

Guy Ritchie's King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword is going to ruin the chances of an Arthurian Epic for at least another decade.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Gyges posted:

Guy Ritchie's King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword is going to ruin the chances of an Arthurian Epic for at least another decade.

if we can get three different Spider-Men in less than a decade we can get two Arthur movies, especially if they're directed by two guys as different as Richie and Snyder.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm pretty sure we're already getting a couple, plus the character shows up in Transformers 5. Alongside Churchill and Hitler.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

DC Murderverse posted:

if we can get three different Spider-Men in less than a decade we can get two Arthur movies, especially if they're directed by two guys as different as Richie and Snyder.

We're also getting 2 Jungle Book movies like a year apart. I don't think exclusivity has ever stopped a studio unless a lawyer was involved.

This is why I'm honestly surprised the glut of fairy tale movies a few years ago wasn't more intense than it was. It's recognizable IP that largely belongs to no one.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/820436518892228608

Poor Ben :(

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Late to the party, but I just saw Civil War, and boy, is every soul in that movie a repellent, irredeemable rear end in a top hat.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Does War Machine's dick still work?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

General Dog posted:

Does War Machine's dick still work?

I saw a movie where a paralyzed guy has a helper monkey. The helper monkey turns evil and kills people. I don't remember the name of the movie, but the paralyzed dude has a graphic scene where bones a lady, so I'm gonna say yes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I saw a movie where a paralyzed guy has a helper monkey. The helper monkey turns evil and kills people. I don't remember the name of the movie, but the paralyzed dude has a graphic scene where bones a lady, so I'm gonna say yes.

Monkey Shines.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Generally dicks still work unless you did something REAL nasty to your lower half.

Dicks are pretty independent fuckers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Detective No. 27 posted:

Monkey Shines.

Thank you. To this day, that is the only movie I've ever seen that has a graphic sex scene involving a pulley and lever system.

I also learned that:

A) George Romero directed it (How did I not know this?)

and

B) The Wikipedia article for the movie is currently locked due to an ongoing neutrality dispute.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Monkey Shines rules. It's lesser Romero, but it rules nonetheless.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Thank you. To this day, that is the only movie I've ever seen that has a graphic sex scene involving a pulley and lever system.

I think Charles Dance's mechanical pirate in Space Truckers had a similar theme going for him, but he got cock-blocked (maybe even literally, it's been a while since I saw that movie).

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Not quite the same tone, but The Sessions (2012) is also about a disabled person, paralysed from polio, getting some satisfaction.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Soggy Cereal posted:

That's not what I imagined at all but ok.

I guess one of them has to be the bad guy, since most of the time they're supposed to be friends. As far as I know, all the times they fight in the comics are due to one or the other being "out of character" in some way anyway.

Wait, you think it's out of character for Batman to do something incredibly drastic, dangerous and morally and ethically dubious because of a trauma he experienced?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

He really sounds like an American politician in that clip.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

UmOk posted:

He really sounds like an American politician in that clip.

Jesus, that's a bit harsh.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

Look, we're gonna do the best Batman you've ever seen, okay? It's gonna be unbelievable. Huge. The fans are gonna love it. Trust me. But I gotta say, no love for Live By Night? SAD!

:sad:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Honestly that's how he sounds. But I think that says more about our president than it does some actor

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bad news guys: CW's Jughead will want to have sex, unlike his recent comic book counterpart.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
NOT MY JUGHEAD

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the cw would abhor the idea of a character on their show who doesn't bone down and have all kinds of relationship drama

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

the cw would abhor the idea of a character on their show who doesn't bone down and have all kinds of relationship drama

I mean they already made the central love triangle into a love square by adding a hot Ms Grundy.

In more positive CW news, the villain of the Flash-Supergirl musical crossover special (also a Glee reunion) will be Music Meister. No word on Neil Patrick Harris reprising the role, though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brother Entropy posted:

It frankly seems pointless to make a CW show without steamy TV-14 stuff.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

I mean they already made the central love triangle into a love square by adding a hot Ms Grundy.

Didn't one of the previews also have Betty and Veronica making out with each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn't one of the previews also have Betty and Veronica making out with each other?

Yes, at cheerleader tryouts no less.

• Locked thread