Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Absolutely. I bolded that part as :hellyeah: moment
Nominating her for best mom in the thread.

Not exactly a lot of competition but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
:stare:

We have several homeless camps that exist in the desert around our city. My (32f) husband (33m) of 8 years takes our kids (9f, 7m) to "hang out" at these camps. It's terrifying and I want it to stop.

Quick background, I won't say exactly where we live but it's a medium sized city with nice winter weather and lots of open space. On the outskirts of town (and some in the middle of town along the washes) homeless people will essentially camp out for the winter, though some are permanent and year round. For the most part the police and sheriff's department let these camps exist as long as there is no violence or hard drug use. In fact one camp has been in existence for almost 15 years is almost like it's own little community and the "matron" of the camp has been interviewed on NPR and other media.

Now on to us, been with my husband since we were in high school. We were both very low to middle class from families with long histories of substance abuse, domestic violence, unemployment, etc... Not only did we both manage to escape the cycle but my husband was able to get into computer programing and was part of team that filed and sold a patent for a small process that will be used in some upcoming biotech application. He turned his portion of the sale into some really fortunate investments and he was smart enough to retain a fractional ownership of the original patent. Even though I feel like something is going to come along to take the rug out from under us, we have more material wealth, safety and comfort than I could ever imagined when I was growing up (I can't count the number of times I had to move as my dad was trying to dodge the rent being due). We are by no means "rich" but I'm able to be a stay home mom, our kids are in a great school district, etc... I'm very content.

About a year ago my husband gave cash to a man selling newspapers on the median. He won't tell me how much it was but judging by his ATM withdrawal around the time, it was probably not much less than $400. Well the guy who was enthralled he invited my husband to dinner at their "camp." To which he gladly accepted and ending up hanging out with a group of homeless people well into the early morning.

He was so excited by his new friends that he insisted the next weekend we take them dinner and bring the kids. I was all for this because there is a very real part of me that thinks our kids are too spoiled and are not exposed to much outside of our own bubble. So we did this and while it wasn't horrible, there were some scary individuals among the group. There was also a lot of alcohol (very triggering to me as the child of violent alcoholics), lots of illness, lots of "inappropriate affection" (not sure how else to term this) and vulgarity. I am glad that my kids got to see this however.

But my husband has become enamored with his friends and at least once a month, usually without telling me beforehand will round up the kids and either buy or prepare a meal and go hang out at this one particular camp. I know his motivation is in the right place and I know he's trying to show our kids how fortunate we are and that we can and should give to those who have less than us. But there's also a part of me that feels at best he's engaging in "slum tourism" and at worst he's putting the safety of our children at risk.

I have talked to him and told him how uncomfortable I am with both him going and taking our kids. No matter how much the people like him, they have no control over who comes and goes from this camp. We have no idea what the history of some of the people may be (sexual crimes, violence, substance abuse, etc...) and we are exposing our minor children to god only knows what. My husband has this amazing way of changing the subject on me without me even realizing it so I usually forget my complaints until the next month when lo and behold the three of them have just spent the day in the desert at a homeless camp.

Yesterday may have been my breaking point, it rained here most of the day and I was at HOA meeting and when I came back they were just driving up completely soaked having spent the day at the camp again. But the real kicker was that he let the kids play inside one of the beat up camper trailers out of his view to get out of the rain. I am fuming angry with him and not sure I can get over this one. He's always promised me the kids are within his view but yesterday he violated this and could have subjected the kids to whatever or whoever was in that trailer. The kids say they were by themselves which thank god...but next time maybe they aren't

I know this means a lot to him but I want it to stop immediately so I need a way to convey this to him without offending him or feeling like I'm taking something away from him. How do I have this conversation with him. A. Without me letting him duck out of it like usual and B. So he understands this is really important to me?

tl;dr: My husband takes our minor children to hang out a long established homeless camp in the desert near where we live. For so many reasons, I want it to stop. How do I have this conversation with him? Sorry for the wall of text, I'm a little worked up after yesterday and didn't sleep.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Spanking is child abuse. Good for the mom, hope the husband stops being such a cowardly loser.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Splicer posted:

Nominating her for best mom in the thread.

Not exactly a lot of competition but still.

Can we hook her up with that dude who is the guardian of his sister and kicked their dad back out of their life for her? I think they are the same age.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Can we hook her up with that dude who is the guardian of his sister and kicked their dad back out of their life for her? I think they are the same age.

Get them to agree to opening their relationship so we can get Pete in on that action

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Spanking is one of those things that infuriates me because people just won't see reason on it

"Well everyone in my family was spanked and we turned out fine!"

and now we know more about how "physical discipline" fucks up a child's mind, and no you didn't turn out fine because you're expressing a desire to assault your children

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

We have several homeless camps that exist in the desert around our city. My (32f) husband (33m) of 8 years takes our kids (9f, 7m) to "hang out" at these camps. It's terrifying and I want it to stop.

I hope this lady knows her husband is into weird drugs and/or strange sex in those tents. No one gives $400 away without at least a HoJo.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'd be wary of that camp too, there's certainly people who are struggling but there are also many who are sex offenders and can't live anywhere else. Not to say homeless people are scary and dangerous but the very real risk needs to be acknowledged

zakharov posted:

Spanking is one of those things that infuriates me because people just won't see reason on it

and now we know more about how "physical discipline" fucks up a child's mind, and no you didn't turn out fine because you're expressing a desire to assault your children

My cousin is adamant that her kids are fine despite spankings, but I don't call throwing insane fits of anger at school "fine". There's just no need for it. I'm extremely laid back, over Christmas was the first time I actually yelled at one of my sisters kids. I've raised my voice, but I mean actual yelling. One of the kids threw a tantrum and almost kicked me in the stomach so I grabbed her by the shoulders and basically freaked that she could have hurt the baby yadda yadda yadda. Anyway, holy gently caress, watching her little face contort into terror before she started crying really made me realize how hosed up it was. I can't even imagine laying a hand on a kid.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 15, 2017

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

zakharov posted:

Spanking is child abuse. Good for the mom, hope the husband stops being such a cowardly loser.

Yeah we aren't living in the loving 1800s fgs.

I would have LOVED to witness her rampaging on gramps with his own belt. I bet the rest of the people there didn't know where the gently caress to look. Lol.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The child learns much from spanking.

1. It hurts.

2. You do not want to get caught, so you had better step up your subterfuge game. You must become a better criminal to avoid pain.

3. It is acceptable to use superior strength and size to express anger, frustration and disappointment physically, especially if your victim is absolutely incapable of resistance.

4. Being a child sucks. A lot.

5. Any means of avoiding future punishment is preferable to the punishment, up to and including having the punishment fall on others. Sorry bro/friendo.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My Mom and Dad [55 M and 55 F] enable my brother [27 M] that's unemployed with no job experience; I [24 F] am very concerned about my brother's and parent's futuresNon-Romantic

submitted 12 minutes ago by MoochingBroThrowaway

Before I go into how my parents enable my brother, I would like to provide some background information.

I [24 F] live at home with my mom and dad [55 F + 55 M], and my brother [27 M]. I'm [24 F] unemployed with an undergraduate BA and currently looking for full-time employment. My brother [27 M] has no job experience, no recent volunteer experience, and he has a high-school diploma. My father [55 M] works full-time and my mother [55 F] is a homemaker.

My brother and I do NOT our parents for rent, food, or utilities. The agreement that I have with my parents is that they won't charge me for rent until I find work, but I do pay for everything else out of my own pocket (i.e. cell phone, Crave TV subscription, car insurance, gas, maintenance, alcohol, dining out, medication, clothes and miscellaneous costs).

I recently discovered that my dad pays my brother $240 (CAD) a month, and he pays for my brothers cell phone, and prescription costs. My brother doesn't have a driver's license either. He spends all of his time and money on video games. He literally spends all of his time in the basement playing Xbox, PS3 and computer games and trading games via mail with other gamers around the world. He earns none of his own income and relies on my parents to drive him everywhere.

I asked my parents why they pay my brother $240/month, and my Dad told me that the $240/month is a "trust buffer". Last year my brother stole my Dad's credit card and charged $1500 on it while my parents were on vacation in Jamaica for two weeks. My parents didn't report the crime to the police (they told me they didn't want to "ruin [his] life"). My Dad told me that it's easier to continue to give my brother $240/month, then it is to cut him off and have him go on a rampage in the house destroying everything in a tantrum. For the record, my brother is not autistic (he was tested as a child and shown to not be autistic) but he does have a learning disability.

I'm afraid for my parents and my brother because my parents are 10 years away from retirement, and my brother is almost 30 years old with no work experience, no skills and no income. I want him to become independent and stop relying on our parents; I also want my parents to stop enabling him.

So Reddit, how can I help my brother get a job and grow up? and how can I stop my parents from enabling him?

tl;dr: Brother [27 M] has no job experience, no skills and is unemployed; he previously stole $1500 from my parents [55 M + 55 F] and my parents give him $240/month.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I read the title to that one and I was all "I bet he's a gamer" and yup!

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

You no-spank-activists are going to regret it when your child comes home from their first job with a red bottom and a tearful face after giving a customer the wrong order one too many times. Goddamn millennials not teaching their kids about the real world.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Family friend of my parents has been using pictures of me [25M] on Gay dating apps. He [30sM] is married with children.Infidelity

submitted 3 hours ago * by Bill_Tremendous

A young man [20M?] who we will call Sam and who is a friend of my sister saw a profile on a gay app with my picture on it. I don’t know if he or the profile initiated the conversation but Sam soon found out that this profile wasn’t me, but somebody trying to stay anonymous. After some exchanges, the guy behind the fake profile agreed to disclose a picture of his real face.

Sam told him that he actually knew whose pictures he was using to hide behind, that they were of the brother of one of his friend. The guy behind the fake profile then said that he knew me too, had a big crush on me and that is why he used my pictures.

It prompted Sam to show the conversation to my sister as well as the picture he sent. My sister told me all of it this morning.

As it turns out, the guy is a friend of my parents. He is technically the son in law of very good friends of my parents but he also visits with them very often. He’s married to their daughter and they have children. Let’s call him James and his wife, Jessie. He listed himself as unmarried with no children on this app. It looks like he is actively cheating on Jessie.

I don’t care that a guy is using my pictures on fake profiles, it has happened before and will keep happening. So I do not want to make a big deal out of it and I’d rather be excluded of the narrative of this story if it breaks out. Although it is so stupid to catfish people with a picture of somebody who used to live in the same area (the app works on geo-location)...

Personally I don’t know James and Jessie (I may have met them but I don’t remember it) but I know Jessie’s parents. My sister is studying close to home and when she visits she sees James, Jessie, her parents… at my parents’ place. My parents always give them updates of what I am up to. My sister will die of awkwardness if she ever has to be in the same room as them again.

Sam, my sister and I are too far removed to feel like it’s our business. But Jessie deserves to know, especially since he might be exposing her to STDs.

I thought about sending an anonymous letter, however I cannot send it from my country (it will be easy to tell it’s me based on the stamp), and none of us know their address. Moreover I do not have compelling evidence. Sam, who I don’t know, may have better screenshots but I do not want to have my name involved, and in their conversations they’ve been discussing me. I bet Sam does not want to be a homewrecker, and neither do my little sister. I'm pushing to send an anonymous message but my sisters are against it (I have another older sister who knows now), saying it would break the friendship between my parents and Jessie's parents.

TLDR: My parents’ friend has been using my pictures to catfish young guys on gay dating websites. He’s married with kids. I want to reach out to his wife but logistics is complicated and I want to stay out of this story as much as possible.

EDIT: convinced my sister to talk to my father tonight.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
and a palate cleanser

I [14M] am being told to shovel snow. My brothers [16M & 17M] have both conveniently gotten sick overnight. Would it be wrong to refuse to do it if they don't help?Non-Romantic

submitted 2 hours ago by Shovelingmysnow

Hi Reddit, I know this is such a small issue but there is alot of snow. It's almost 6 am and I wanted to get an early start when the sun rises. My mom told me and my brothers to do it because it's starting to become ridiculous . I also need to remove the ice and snow from moms car. It's clear now but it's going to rain again tomorrow.

Last night my mother told us we need to shovel the snow in the front and back yard. Shortly after they started to cough and pretend to be sick. Mom believes them and now I am being told to do it by myself. It's going to take me all day to do it. My sister won't do it because it's a mans job apparently. I wanted to do things today but now I can't.

Would it be right to refuse to do it unless my brothers help or no?

TL;DR: Last night we were told we need to shovel snow. My two older brothers are conveniently sick just hours later. Would it be right to refuse to do it if those two don't stop faking?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Today's Mixed-Up Teens

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

It's funny that the kid starts it out with "small issue" yet I'd be loving pissed and it's one of the less easily resolved posts in the thread.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
why do tweens keep using reddit to solve their family squabbles?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

zakharov posted:

it's the same kind of bullshit as victims of child molestation becoming pedos themselves, which is all extra lovely since it also leads people to treat everyone who got abused as a child as though they're going to be child abusers.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

why do tweens keep using reddit to solve their family squabbles?

I think the real question is why do the grown loving adults do it

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 15, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i am 30 years old and I can not deal with my problems because i am garbage

please, anonymous children of the internet, tell me what to do

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
How the heck does that wife not realize the 400$ was for drugs?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zzulu posted:

i am 30 years old and I can not deal with my problems because i am garbage

:same:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

How the heck does that wife not realize the 400$ was for drugs?

naw I bet this dude really does love slumming, and is super enthusiastic about all the slum buddies he's bought who want him around to pay for their drinks now

these kids are so hosed no matter what happens :(

quote:

I apologize in advance, there is no easy way to explain this story, this will be a wall of text. I will endeavor to keep it as brief and relevant as possible.

I was married for 10 years to a narcissistic, abusive, sociopath. Most of the abuse leveled at me was emotional/intimidation, but he was physically abusive to my daughter from a previous relationship, and our three sons. When I moved out, he physically attacked me, nearly breaking my arm and causing extensive soft tissue damage. This is relevant later.

In 2005, our oldest son died of leukemia. He was 2. In 2009, our middle son was diagnosed with lymphoma. He successfully completed treatment and has been in remission for nearly 7 years.

We separated in 2009, right after my sons treatment was finished, and filed for divorce shortly after. I filed a DV report when he attacked me. He hired a criminal defense attorney, absolutely assassinated my character, convinced my mother to testify against me, as well as our blind elderly neighbor who "saw" the entire incident. The case was dropped.

During the divorce hearing, I filed for full custody. In Alaska, in most cases, that automatically guarantees the other parent will get custody (if they are asking for 50/50 joint custody). I did not know this at the time, and my lawyer pushed for full because of the DV hearing. The judge reviewed the files/recording, decided on the spot I was a liar because the other case was dropped, and awarded joint custody.

For four years, my ex dragged me back to court for every excuse he could find, to complain about my unwillingness to cooperate and co-parent with him. He paid a counselor (a substantial cash payment, outside of our insurance coverage, with additional gifts such as fishing trips and work done to his property) to testify against me in court. I did not find out until much later that the counselor was practicing with a suspended license for ethics violations (false testimony in other family court cases) the entire time he was "treating" my children. Every time we went to court, I lost more and more rights/privileges.

In 2013, he filed multiple abuse investigations with OCS, culminating in a police investigation and restraining orders being filed against me after I returned my children to him with bruises (bruises were NOT from abuse, the children stated that, OCS stated that, and the doctor that examined them stated there was no way to conclude they were the result of abuse). However, I did admit in court to spanking my children, with my hand, 1 time over the week the bruising occurred.

By this time, the judge was not even bothering to hide her disgust for me every time we came to court. She stated that in the case of the spanking, it was a violation of the no corporal punishment clause in our divorce decree (true), that my children were in fear for their lives because they behaved immediately afterward, and that the spanking met the definition of assault. She granted a one year protective order against me, ordered parenting classes, a domestic violence intervention program, mandatory counseling, and reduced my visitation to 6 supervised hours per week, with a supervisor of my ex's choosing.

I completed all ordered services. My ex, however, refused to comply with the visitation. Or rather, he made visitation so logistically and physically impossible, he might as well have refused. He always made it clear that when I could not meet his conditions, it was MY refusal to comply, not him denying access.

With the help of my counselor, I made the decision to walk away. This entire situation was a narcissists dream - he maintained all control and could "punish" me for leaving through my children. By removing myself from the power struggle, even knowing that he was not a good person, or a good parent, the hope was he would drop his obsession for controlling me, and focus on raising our boys in a healthier atmosphere. It is the hardest decision I have ever made in my life.

I did get behind in child support for some time, as I had a hard time finding work. But it was paid whenever I was working, and not only has it been paid consistently for nearly two years but all of my arrearages have long since caught up. I have had absolutely zero contact with my ex or my children in just over three years.

I found out over the weekend that my 12 year old son, after being in remission for 7 years, has relapsed, and is in very poor condition. At 12, my son weighs 56 lbs. he has always been a small child, but he is the size of an average 6-7 year old. My ex so stubbornly refused to take him to the doctor, despite OBVIOUS signs of illness, including a tennis ball sized mass on his chest, that when the cancer spread to his spine and began putting so much pressure on his brain that he is exhibiting stroke symptoms (face drooping, balance issues, slurred speech), my ex still sent him to school, and the school had to intervene and refuse to allow him back until he had a doctors clearance. My younger son is also displaying some rather alarming signs of abuse/mistreatment.

At this point, their father still refuses to contact me to tell me about our sons health. He is blocking my attempts to access medical records or speak with the doctors. He has told others that if I try to go to the hospital he will have me arrested (he can't, but he can cause a huge scene and upset my son).

I have applied to legal aid previously, and was denied - custody cases are rarely given assistance by legal aid here. I cannot afford an attorney. I pay 52% of my income to child support. I barely eat, but I will do whatever I have to to support my kids.

I know I need to speak with an attorney. I have left messages for several that friends have referred me to in the hopes that one will consider a pro bono representation, or allow some sort of payment arrangements. Other than that, any advice on how to proceed at this point, or resources in Alaska I may not have found, would be greatly appreciated.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 15, 2017

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

naw I bet this dude really does love slumming, and is super enthusiastic about all the slum buddies he's bought who want him around to pay for their drinks now

these kids are so hosed no matter what happens :(

:murder:

My [17M] brother [9M] had a heart condition. I was trying to show my girlfriend [16F] the scar from his surgery. He tried to break my finger when I touched the scar. How do I bring this up to my parents.Non-Romantic

submitted 36 minutes ago by Brotheragressive

My brother has a heart condition, he's had three surgeries. It seems fine now, mom knows more about all the specifics than I would. Friday I was in class and I was telling my teacher that my brother had heart surgery. It was relevant to what we were discussion at the time in the class. On my way home my girlfriend was asking me all types of questions about it. I told her I would show her the scar. You can normally see a little of it on his neck. I tried to show her by touching where it was. He grabbed my hand and started to bed my fingers back. He screamed at me not to touch it. Walked off to our sisters room and sat with her. How do I talk to my parents about this?

TL;DR: How do I talk to my parents about this?

Ride The Gravitron fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 15, 2017

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

From the comments:

quote:

Mom, can you teach me about boundaries?

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

My [9M] jerk brother [17M] jammed a finger into my surgery wound while showing it off to his girlfriend [16F] how do I tell my parents about it?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

only tangentially on-topic but I feel it's a good palate cleanser

quote:

TL;DR: After thinking about the scientific study that was on reddit today, and considering my own son, I came to the conclusion that spanking is breaking frame with your child and is not masculine at all.

Story time guys. I don't post often, because truthfully I don't have much to say, and I like to read more than I like to speak. But I had to share this thought. I am sure many people saw the post on the science subreddit about the spanking study that was done. It was a fascinating read, and the comments were equally fascinating. I am, as my post history reveals, a father to a son, and think a lot about TRP in regards to how I raise him.

A couple of policies I live by when being a father:
I am very hands off when he is playing or exploring. I believe strongly that overparenting is unhealthy, and kids, especially boys, need to be able to figure things out for themselves and explore. This establishes independence, curiosity, strength, etc.

I answer all those annoying questions. Yes they can be annoying. But my observation is that many moms, especially single moms, get annoyed at their kids asking questions. They're kids, they're curious, and as a parent, its on you to teach them certain things. Feed their curiosity, don't stifle it because you're too lazy to explain things. When I get frustrated, I think about my single mom, and how she got frequently annoyed with questions, and it helps me remember why I promised I would always answer my sons' questions.

3) Finally, I hold frame--which brings me to spanking. I don't believe in it, but there's some different aspects here that I had not considered. I found out on Sunday that my ex-girlfriend's mom had recently spanked our son, and I asked her calmly if it made him stop misbehaving. She said no, to which I responded, maybe it's a dumb idea to try it again. She didn't say anything.
After thinking on that for a couple days, and reading this study, I realized something. This doesn't establish authority, at least not really. It may (MAY) work short term, no disagreement. But long term, you're actually breaking frame. The best way to parent is to remain calm, collected, and methodical. Logic always works best. If my son doesn't eat dinner, he does not get a snack. If he goes to bed late, he has to take a nap the next day. If he says something mean, I don't speak to him without an apology (unless of course, it's an emergency). He learns that to get what he wants, he has to do certain things. He has to have the discipline to control himself, to make smart choices.

When you spank, you actually break frame, because you lose your cool. You allow the kid's behavior to dictate YOUR actions and reaction, rather than helping the child see how their decisions don't get them what they want. Furthermore, it teaches them that when they are bigger and stronger than you, they can ignore you. My mom, for example, stopped being able to discipline me at age 13, when I stopped letting her hit me.

I get that some of you may disagree. That's fine. In any case, I know this works for me, and if it helps you, great. If it doesn't, gently caress me I guess!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

only tangentially on-topic but I feel it's a good palate cleanser

Good post. I approve.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The police won't do anything about this complete psychopath (FL) (self.legaladvice)

submitted 14 hours ago by tippedthescaffold

Okay so, I'm not sure what to do about this situation.

There is this guy (I have never met him in person) who has been sending crazy messages over facebook to my friends and I for about a year or so. By that I mean just about everyone I know, I've posted screenshots of it and TONS of people come in saying "this guy harasses me too, who the hell is he?". Social media is weird. Anyways, at first, he was just one of those people who rambled on about weird things (think r/creepypms style posts) and we all thought it was funny and just ignored it and laughed at the messages. Recently, he's been sending us things that are completely over the top, I've called the police three times as have others and they have done nothing. He's made about 20 fake facebooks to send these harassing messages. Here's a list of things he's done: (Should I add a trigger warning of some sort here? Animal abuse, sexual harassment, self harm, rape, manipulation, etc)

sent photos of him mutilating animals (one of a snake cut into pieces, one of him stomping on a snake, a snake in a blender, a tarantula with its legs ripped off)
talked about raping girls and having sex with underage girls
threatening to kill, torture, rape me/whoever he is messaging at the time
videos of him having sex, putting needles through girls' skin, masturbating
photos of his wrists slit/blood all over his body were sent to my roommate. she called the police, he went to a mental hospital for three days, that's all that happened.
telling people he will do x if they do not do y. for example: he told ANOTHER friend of mine that if she didn't meet up with him for a date he'd kill one of his pets. She didn't do it, he made a fake facebook and sent her photos of the animal dead.

He lives in Florida, I now live in Texas. Just tonight my roommate saw messages from him for the first time in a while telling her he'd kill another one of his snakes then proceeding to send photos of it dead. We called the police department where he lives right after the first message was sent and they told us they'd "get back to us". I'm assuming that again, they will just bakeract him for three days and that will be it. Is there any way I can get them to comply or arrest him? Isn't animal abuse a felony?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

He's probably loving people there on the cheap. Get an STD test first thing.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Ride The Gravitron posted:

The police won't do anything about this complete psychopath (FL) (self.legaladvice)

Killing snakes and tarantulas is a weird way to control people. I don't know many people who would do anything to save a tarantula.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

Killing snakes and tarantulas is a weird way to control people. I don't know many people who would do anything to save a tarantula.

I would, tarantulas and snakes are good friends and don't deserve scorn or violence

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

I would do almost anything to save an innocent snake and/or tarantula

don't forget, I have favorite flies

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

I would, tarantulas and snakes are good friends and don't deserve scorn or violence

Tarantulas will crawl inside your mouth when you sleep.

Pick posted:

I would do almost anything to save an innocent snake and/or tarantula

don't forget, I have favorite flies

I think tarantulas eat some snakes or vice versa so you're going to have to pick one or the other

e: jesus christ fly chat reminded me of the lice gif :barf:

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 15, 2017

Divot
Dec 23, 2013

think a lot about TRP in regards to how I raise him

This is somehow one of the most terrifying things I've read in this thread.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Divot posted:

This is somehow one of the most terrifying things I've read in this thread.

And yet, dude still arrived at better parenting than half of /r/relationships

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am glad /r/relationships is here as a reminder that maybe being a single friendless loser isn't so bad after all. Less exposure to crazy people.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

How do these losers manage to get married

My husband [M/22] says that I [F/21] should look good purely for his satisfaction. I have no right to feel good about it. What do you think about this ?

quote:

Of course as a wife , you want to look good for your husband , I know I do . But , my husband thinks it's selfish for a women to pamper herself to feel good or to feel more confident . He believes that whatever a man says about his wives appearance , is how she should go about taking her of her appearance .

Taking care of myself makes me feel good , makes me feel happier on the inside , and I'm sure every woman likes feeling good . But , every time this conversation comes up , he insist that this is in the Bible . I should do my hair and nails simply to look good for him , but not to feel good . He tells me if I'm trying to look good to feel good , then I am not selfless . We are Christians , but I just don't understand why wouldn't someone want you to feel good about yourself . Any advice on how to see it from his POV or something .

For example , I wanted to get extensions in my hair for my baby shower , he doesn't like extensions too much . My hair has been shedding and thinning due to my prenatal pills . I told him this and he said to me , it's either I'm trying to look good for his friends , or myself. Which , if any of the 2 options are the case , that means I don't love him.

Any advice .
TL;DR: my husband thinks I should look good and feel good about it for him .

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

zakharov posted:

My husband [M/22] says that I [F/21] should look good purely for his satisfaction. I have no right to feel good about it. What do you think about this ?

mur, der.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

zakharov posted:

What a gross dickhead. :sever::sever::sever::sever: