Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

TFRazorsaw posted:

The PS4 UI is the worst. I have to deal with apps I don't even have downloaded essentially serving as ads, you have no way of customizing where anything is laid out, and the various categories are both too numerous and what they're for is poorly conveyed.

The store is a loving mess and hasn't changed a bit since the PS3 except aesthetically.

I can't imagine how you'd think the PS4 UI is worse than the Xbox One UI. At least you always know what you are doing.

I do agree that they have the worst storefront design by far which is REALLY saying something. I still can't believe how searching works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Flumbooze posted:

How sure are we of an Animal Crossing game being made for the Switch? (As in, surely they wouldn't NOT release an AC game?)

They'll make one but it won't come anytime soon. Nintendo just went out of their way to release a major update to the old 3DS game a few months ago, and I take that as meaning it'll be awhile before Isabelle Switches over.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Flumbooze posted:

How sure are we of an Animal Crossing game being made for the Switch? (As in, surely they wouldn't NOT release an AC game?)

No Animal Crossing on Wii U, sooooo.... :qq:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Flumbooze posted:

I will go out on a limb and sat that there is a 100% chance of there being an Animal Crossing game for the Switch.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Not sure if already posted, but BOTW has dual audio voices!

Holy gently caress yes. I am so hype for Zelda now

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I said come in! posted:

No Animal Crossing on Wii U, sooooo.... :qq:

People were still playing New Leaf, which got the massive amiibo update. Much like MH, I think AC is pretty much forever for the handheld/portable market, which makes it perfect for the Switch (and could have integration with the mobile version).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

I can't imagine how you'd think the PS4 UI is worse than the Xbox One UI. At least you always know what you are doing.

I do agree that they have the worst storefront design by far which is REALLY saying something. I still can't believe how searching works.

I don't think it's worse than the UI for the XBox One because I've never used an XBox One and have no context for it.

If it's worse, then that's a shame. But the PS4 is still pretty bad. It's the video game UI equivalent of a loving Fire TV in how it tries to sell or make me download stuff.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

punk rebel ecks posted:

I will never understand why people like Call of Duty. The game is so brainless.

:haw:

Gotta go fast

(we're tools with a serious case of spouse abuse syndrome)

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I'm waffling on if I want to get Switch games digitally or physically. I'm ardent against getting discs since they take up so much room/get scratched more easily. Plus the Switch carts are tinier, can be more easily stored.

Not to mention that thinking about it if the Switch does end up having enough games I'd probably end up having to buy multiple SD cards.

Ughhh

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wouldn't discount a port of New Leaf to the Switch.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

FirstAidKite posted:

I specifically wanna see them go back to what they did in King's Field (2 in Japan) where it's all proto-souls in terms of aesthetic and atmosphere and then at the end You touch a weird cube thing and are teleported inside of a tron-lookin maze filled with cybernetic demons and cybernetic antlions so that you can kill proto-kalameet and regain the sword of moonlight, all while avoiding all of the missiles and lasers being shot at you

A very bizarre area. It'd be neat to see them try to make an entire game with that sort of aesthetic.

And also you fight a Tekken/Street Fighter character with a Saw Cleaver who shoots missiles out of his dragon punches.

Not enough people talk about how fuckin' weird King's Field 2 gets.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Yes, but can you take your PC to rooftop hipster parties?

Actually,

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm pretty excited to play around with the Switch, but I just can't balance making a beeline for Breath of the Wild when it comes out with the investment required into the console. I think I'll probably find a demo kiosk somewhere first before I think of buying it.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

trash person posted:

I'm waffling on if I want to get Switch games digitally or physically. I'm ardent against getting discs since they take up so much room/get scratched more easily. Plus the Switch carts are tinier, can be more easily stored.

Not to mention that thinking about it if the Switch does end up having enough games I'd probably end up having to buy multiple SD cards.

Ughhh

You're going to be paying for physical media one way or another. Either carts or SD cards since the Switch has so little storage.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Hope it runs well. That game runs like dogshit on the 3DS and not well enough on the Vita.

It runs just fine on New 3DS XL.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

shave and a harelip posted:

You're going to be paying for physical media one way or another. Either carts or SD cards since the Switch has so little storage.

I suppose that's true. I'm just gonna get the game carts. External HDD would be dumb since it's not like I'm gonna take that with me.

Physical media it is. To Gamestop later to preorder!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

thexerox123 posted:

It runs just fine on New 3DS XL.

I own a N3DSXL and still disagree.

e: Doesn't it ONLY run on the New ones and not the OG?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Flumbooze posted:

Not a peep yet.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't think it's worse than the UI for the XBox One because I've never used an XBox One and have no context for it.

If it's worse, then that's a shame. But the PS4 is still pretty bad. It's the video game UI equivalent of a loving Fire TV in how it tries to sell or make me download stuff.

Imagine that everytime you press left or right on the PS4's main UI it takes you to a completely different random screen of randomly set apps with options that have little relation to the apps on that screen to choose from.

I had difficulty finding the menu to start up my loving game of Sunset Overdrive.

EDIT: For more context, imagine that every screen is as well organized as the PS4's digital store. THAT'S how bad it is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is switch the first device since the GameCube that doesn't play the previous generation's games? GBA played Gameboy, DS plays GBA, 3DS plays DS. Wii played GameCube. WiiU has Wii mode.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Seems that way

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Is switch the first device since the GameCube that doesn't play the previous generation's games? GBA played Gameboy, DS plays GBA, 3DS plays DS. Wii played GameCube. WiiU has Wii mode.

wow chalk that up to the piling garbage that is the switch.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

And none of them play DVDs

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
More evidence the Switch should have had a disc drive

E:fb

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

inferis posted:

And none of them play DVDs

What's a DVD

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just heard that mario kart 8 deluxe doesnt actually have any new racing tracks, lol. no way I'm buying that.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

ethanol posted:

What's a DVD

It's like Netflix but for your grandparents

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

They're moving to a brand new architecture for this one, and all previous backward compatibility relied on the consoles incorporating/building onto the previous generation's hardware.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Dr Cheeto posted:

More evidence the Switch should have had a disc drive

E:fb

Remember the sega nomad where if you bumped the cartridge the game would freeze?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

inferis posted:

Remember the sega nomad where if you bumped the cartridge the game would freeze?

No because I'm one of those dang millennials that keep running around ruining everything

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I think I'm a millennial too? Born in 85? Back in my day they were still trying to call us Gen-Y

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

inferis posted:

I am no millionaire

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

MinibarMatchman posted:

just heard that mario kart 8 deluxe doesnt actually have any new racing tracks, lol. no way I'm buying that.

Umm, didn't you notice the Splatoon tracks? And the battle arenas?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dragon Quest heros 1*2 looks like lazy lazy poo poo. My hopes for FE Heros are dashed.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

I imagine the "16 new tracks" claim includes all battle tracks, but we should be getting 1-2 new cups based on the Splat racing track we've already seen.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Yeah, I think there's a Bob-bomb Cup now and that owns.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You know, thinking on it, several things have occurred to me about the Switch and the response to it.

Nintendo isn't perfect, so let me preface this with a disclaimer that their approach hasn't exactly been without flaws. But what's most important for the Switch to have a good response isn't so much top of the line hardware or having the biggest launch line up full of whatever pie in the sky wish list titles. It's communication - effectively, expressing what the Switch is, why it's unique, and what it has to offer. Now, they've been tight lipped on some things like online, but you have to remember - the actual paid online service is a half of a year away.

So there's a reason why some of these things haven't been focused on, and I feel regarding online this is smart, because it's something they have to demonstrate rather than simply talk about. That's why the trial period exists, to the point I'd call it ridiculously transparent. This is an area they haven't been good in, they know it, and they know they can't expect people to hand them their money unproven. That's precisely why Mario Kart and Splatoon are coming out in that time period, because they'll be the biggest test of their capabilities.

Do I know for sure that this is going to work out, and they'll be successful? GOD NO. But this is their strategy and it's a smart one.

But getting back to communication, let's talk about what killed the Wii U: a lack of clearly conveying what the gently caress it was. Some have argued that Nintendo's focus on whether this is a portable or a home console has been muddled, but I'm not so sure that's the case. What's most important is that they put energy into showing what it does, how it works, and just generally having a media presence regarding what they're offering. This goes into design and marketing, too. The "click" everyone's been going on about? The sound is precision guided to be memorable and iconic, and the fact that people have talked about how satisfying it is isn't an accident. The Switch doesn't just need to be a console, it needs to be a BRAND, and that's something the Wii U never had.

There's other ways Nintendo is accomplishing this too, and that's a social media presence. The importance of Treehouse has grown from year to year, and it's clearly a success. This isn't fanboy gushing so much as, again, them establishing something that reaches people and has an "identity". Inviting youtube personalities and groups like Digital Foundry to their hands' on is also smart, because they connect to exactly the same kind of people that they need to help sell this loving thing. Their own digital presence is important too, and seems to be gleaning results: as an example, the trailer for Sonic Mania on Nintendo's channel is double that of the PS4's and it's been online a fraction of the time Sony's version has. I'm not trying to make a big deal of this because I'm a Sonic fan; it's worth talking about because 1) this is pretty impressive for what is going to be a low impact title, and 2) it shows that Nintendo has succeeded in getting people's eye on what they have to offer.

Beyond that, while they're not exactly universally well received, the response to titles like ARMS and hardware like the Joycons have improved due to the hands on they've provided. Can you imagine what we'd be saying about them if they hadn't been shown off, and people hadn't been given time with them? Compare that to the Wii U gamepad, which they showed off, communicated very poorly about, and, when the system was launched, was plagued by people talking about how unwieldly it was and stuff like floppy joysticks and an overall "Playskool" feel. Not everyone is on board for "HD Rumble" and a new game with motion controls, but they've at the very least helped put their merits out into the public's eyes.

Of course, I'm not going to pretend their's not an uphill battle to climb. There were parts of the conference that were tedious, poorly communicated, and boring. I don't expect the motion and HD Rumble features to immediately take off or even be widely used by most third parties, who prefer to accept the path of least resistance. Rather, I see those things as investments for future technology like it one day becoming standard. And, like, western third parties aren't going to flock to this thing by default; there's going to need to be an effort to prove the system's got staying power, and that is very much up in the air because the Switch is effectively a new brand in and of itself.

That being said, another important fact to remember here is that Nintendo doesn't need to win. The console wars have always been an artificial construct, which albeit Nintendo and Sega have helped create. But this isn't the 90's anymore; Nintendo has to carve out a niche and remain profitable. This will depend on various things; a steady stream of first party games, continued partnerships with eastern developers (which, I think will be circling this thing given the Vita a half dead corpse at this point), continued emphasis on communication and advertising, and, of course, making sure their on-line isn't a total loving disaster.

Basically, E3 is going to be very important, and poo poo like Mario Odyssey needs to come out on time. But leading with the game that they single handedly turned into the most anticipated game of 2017 by showing NOTHING ELSE at E3 last year is definitely going to help it at the start.

THis has been me talking too much on something awful dot com. You may now tell me all the reasons why my armchair analysis is probably wrong, because I am not an industry expert or insider.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I will never understand why people like Call of Duty. The game is so brainless.

A lot of people game to experience adrenaline rush in a safe environment, like a roller coaster that you can play. People who play games because they like to solve interactive puzzles (or for other reasons, of which there are many) can find this motivation vexing.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Video showing the Switch UI in more detail. One noticeable absence in the UI: No web browsers. Considering how many times hackers have blown open consoles using Webkit browser exploits, it was probably a smart move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8tfSj8Zs90

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

Imagine that everytime you press left or right on the PS4's main UI it takes you to a completely different random screen of randomly set apps with options that have little relation to the apps on that screen to choose from.

I had difficulty finding the menu to start up my loving game of Sunset Overdrive.

EDIT: For more context, imagine that every screen is as well organized as the PS4's digital store. THAT'S how bad it is.

my god, that sounds disgusting.

• Locked thread