Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Enourmo posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure millenials would be into cars just fine if they could actually afford them like one used to be able to. The days of working a summer job to buy your Camaro SS with cash are long gone, and I think that's the biggest factor, rather than any actual shift in values.

Yeah, a new sports car is roughly 50% of what I'd pay for a 2 bedroom house here, these days.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I still think nothing says freedom like a full fuel tank.

A full fuel tank, a couple days off work, and a few hundred bucks to blow because gas is triple what it was when I got my license but wages are flat when adjusted for inflation.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

A full fuel tank, a couple days off work, and a few hundred bucks to blow because gas is triple what it was when I got my license but wages are flat when adjusted for inflation.

somebody who's actually good at stats should make plots showing, with inflation adjustments: price of gas, price of a Honda Civic (longest-running name I could come up with right now), average wages, and maybe some road trip essentials like a can of Coke or a pack of cigarettes.

Or maybe graphing percent change since the first year would allow you to put them all on one graph and more easily make comparisons.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
When I first moved out here and started working at the dealership they had me work as a lube tech for a little while. Pretty much half my immediate coworkers were car guy millennials.

Seemed to me they all either romanticized working on cars, like it was a trade from back when men were men and cars were cars, or grew up in the shadow of Paul Walker and autistically obsessed over horsepower, boost and compressor wheel size numbers communicated to them in glib youtube videos.

The former basically just don't wear gloves or safety glasses and snapchat photos of their dirty hands. The latter will occasionally spend $1000 on a bolt on intercooler kit and get confused when it doesn't fit alongside the $700 bolt on blow off valve kit they had already installed.

Both types are too busy vaping, flipping water bottles and listening to early 00s nu metal (seriously - 18 year olds nostalgic for that era of music) to tighten drain plugs let alone actually take the time to learn and understand automotive engineering theory.

One thing I will say in their defense is they might never work on their own poo poo, but it's not their fault they came of age in a time when housing is insane and they can barely afford to share a studio apt that doesn't even have an offstreet parking spot let alone a full garage.

These are end times for car guys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The more I learn about my friend's death the worse the narrative gets. Her life had just completely fallen apart and it's brought me to a state a near constant tears.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

The more I learn about my friend's death the worse the narrative gets. Her life had just completely fallen apart and it's brought me to a state a near constant tears.

I figured it was more than something random... a mother of two young kids is not often in a dark alley alone unless she's in a dark place herself.

That sucks, Rhyno, I hope something good can come out of it. :(

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Due to the doxxing would a mod be able to move this thread into the mod forum and we can have a interstitial thread where we don't post personal stuff?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Also I'm sorry to hear this Rhyno 😞 hope things start looking up

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Due to the doxxing would a mod be able to move this thread into the mod forum and we can have a interstitial thread where we don't post personal stuff?
What exactly is going on there? I haven't seen anything other than a somewhat vague sticky.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

InitialDave posted:

What exactly is going on there? I haven't seen anything other than a somewhat vague sticky.

Kiwifarms is actively doxxing transgender people from our forum after some drama happened centered around shmorky

I believe it had something to do with them doing something, then lowtax posted a picture or a link in order to grab someone's IP address and it spiraled from there

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

I figured it was more than something random... a mother of two young kids is not often in a dark alley alone unless she's in a dark place herself.

That sucks, Rhyno, I hope something good can come out of it. :(

It just keeps getting worse. Viewing is tomorrow, I'm hoping seeing everyone again will help me process this better.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Kiwifarms is actively doxxing transgender people from our forum after some drama happened centered around shmorky
Well... Ok. I don't know who shmorky is, but I've yet to encounter someone engaging in doxxing who wasn't a tremendous bellend.

So do they just hate transgender people or something?

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 15, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Well... Ok. I don't know who shmorky is, but I've yet to encounter someone engaging in doxxing who wasn't a tremendous bellend.

So do they just hate transgender people or something?

They're neo nazis

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Has there been any kerb biting yet? That was the best bit in American History X,

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I believe it had something to do with them doing something, then lowtax posted a picture or a link in order to grab someone's IP address and it spiraled from there

I don't understand any of this or what it has to do with AI.

I'm also confused by your use of 'interstitial'.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

angryrobots posted:

I don't understand any of this or what it has to do with AI.

I'm also confused by your use of 'interstitial'.

The other forum is scouring all of SA for people to doxx

They're mostly targeting transgender people but idk better safe than sorry?

Also for some reason my phone made interim interstitial :3:

Edit: I'm sure I'm just being chicken little

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 15, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CharlesM posted:

I'd rather not die at all which is why I bought a car with 8 airbags :P

bad news dude, we all die eventually. George Carlin has good lines on that subject too.

Pham Nuwen posted:

somebody who's actually good at stats should make plots showing, with inflation adjustments: price of gas, price of a Honda Civic (longest-running name I could come up with right now), average wages, and maybe some road trip essentials like a can of Coke or a pack of cigarettes.

Or maybe graphing percent change since the first year would allow you to put them all on one graph and more easily make comparisons.

Suburbans have been out longer, but lol younger people generally don't buy those. same goes for light trucks.

eighty-four merc posted:

When I first moved out here and started working at the dealership they had me work as a lube tech for a little while. Pretty much half my immediate coworkers were car guy millennials.

Seemed to me they all either romanticized working on cars, like it was a trade from back when men were men and cars were cars, or grew up in the shadow of Paul Walker and autistically obsessed over horsepower, boost and compressor wheel size numbers communicated to them in glib youtube videos.

One thing I will say in their defense is they might never work on their own poo poo, but it's not their fault they came of age in a time when housing is insane and they can barely afford to share a studio apt that doesn't even have an offstreet parking spot let alone a full garage.

These are end times for car guys.

lolyep. I was sort of the same way in that thinking wrenching on vehicles was AWESOME. yeah turns out years of headgaskets and heatercores and wiring problems just made me a cranky old oval office that hates mainstream cars. at 28.

built it? cool. lets talk.
bought it? don't bother me, ead.

I was the family mechanic from a child due to inept retarded parents that couldnt check oil, nor put enough smarts into not shopping at buy-here-pay-here lots.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Back in the good old OLDE days (10 years before you guys consider the good old days happened) things really WERE good and people liked cars properly! And 30 years before that, the time my dad considered the good old olD OLD OLDE! days, you could get a slice of pizza and a coke for 10 cents and a brand new top of the line Pontiac GTO with all the fun bits was $3500 and men checked their oil with physical dipsticks.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

My parents are firmly convinced that if we did things like we did from 1948 - 1963 the world would be a better place. And they're quite salty about everything else.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So Socialized medicine and 90℅ corporate taxes?

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Modern cars are sweet, but I will never be able to afford one.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

So Socialized medicine and 90℅ corporate taxes?

Yup, and before computers came about that made accounting/inventory management/planning/etc. trivial, so that it was easy for a large company to gobble up and absorb many other companies with little overhead increase, but huge profit increases... leading us to the global multinational monoliths that we have now, that are wholly "based" offshore and avoid even the smell of tax.

Yay capitalism, obviously the best and the solution to all of our problems.

eighty-four merc posted:

Modern cars are sweet, but I will never be able to afford one.

I see nothing interesting in modern cars. There's little innovation, just swoopy, angular metal play and some sorta-tech inside. That, combined with new cars being engineered to keep the owners from doing maintenance themselves, leaves me not giving a poo poo about what's new. I used to read/subscribe to R&T/Autoweek/C&D/Automobile/Motor Trend and others... I don't even pick them up at my dad's place anymore... new cars are either dead boring or obscenely expensive.

And society has bought into the whole "you need a new car because it's reliable and you need to be _safe_." Leaving self-reliance go by the wayside. So yeah, get that new car that the bank owns and lets you drive for the 7 years it'll take you to pay it off. I'll drive my old, but maintained Escalade and beater '00 Avalon. poo poo, the Avalon has dual zone automatic climate, heated seats, auto windows, JBL sound with a tiny subwoofer that at least makes a little bass, a $200 android head with bluetooth so it'll play anything on my phone. It's a boring appliance, but I have $1300 in it and it is perfectly okay for transportation. I'd MUCH rather have that than a new car where I'll give the bank/car company that $1300 on a bi-monthly basis just to have... what... ???

West SAAB Story posted:

I just made it home, and keykey gave me an awesome stash of SAABness. Where the hell is the thread to post it? I've not showered, washed clothing, or even dealt with the fact I spent the last month cleaning up a dead person's house..

Welcome back, viggen. Did anything good come out of the experience? :glomp:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 15, 2017

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 217 days!)

Seminal Flu posted:

And society has bought into the whole "you need a new car because it's reliable and you need to be _safe_." Leaving self-reliance go by the wayside. So yeah, get that new car that the bank owns and lets you drive for the 7 years it'll take you to pay it off. I'll drive my old, but maintained Escalade and beater '00 Avalon. poo poo, the Avalon has dual zone automatic climate, heated seats, auto windows, JBL sound with a tiny subwoofer that at least makes a little bass, a $200 android head with bluetooth so it'll play anything on my phone. It's a boring appliance, but I have $1300 in it and it is perfectly okay for transportation. I'd MUCH rather have that than a new car where I'll give the bank/car company that $1300 on a bi-monthly basis just to have... what... ???

This has so infected the infrastructure that when I took my 2K 95 on the last trip, I was asked by a multitude of folks why I'd take something so old, even though it was maintained, had the newest tires, the only set of fitting snow chains I own, and a complete service before I left. Yes, a $2,000 car can take the same trip as a $2,000 flight- even if it does take a few more hours to get there. I fell in love with the car all over again with the brilliant heater core in my -32f drive, and the all-seasons and FWD did perfectly fine with minimal skidding in several inches of sludge and black ice. Hell, even the FM radio did decently for most of the trip- with only a few hours of silence for two days' worth of leisure return.

It has a couple thousand more miles on in it, the tires will soon need to be rotated, and I'll have to change the oil a little sooner. Woop-de-doo.

Seminal Flu posted:

Welcome back, viggen. Did anything good come out of the experience? :glomp:

Yep! I'm motivated to get rid of my non-car horde (lest someone else have to deal with it), and move on with life. Also, the 29 degree weather outside feels quite warm since there's no wind- I don't even need to wear a jacket- this poo poo is WARM!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A status symbol.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 217 days!)

Rhyno posted:

A status symbol.

Oh god- what are you trying to buy this week?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The coolant system in my '05 Mazda 6 is starting to make me really regret ever owning a vehicle produced after the mid 90s.

CTS didn't come loose again like I'd thought, thermostat is fine, needle is doing the funkydance and the ECU can't decide if it's P0126, P0128, or some combination of the two.

Honestly, I don't really blame capitalism, computers, automation, or any of that for millenials being ignorant of the world outside a screen. I blame the internet, or more specifically, the web, and firmly believe that Tim Berners-Lee should be tried for his crimes against humanity.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Honestly, I don't really blame capitalism, computers, automation, or any of that for millenials being ignorant of the world outside a screen. I blame the internet, or more specifically, the web, and firmly believe that Tim Berners-Lee should be tried for his crimes against humanity.

Lol what

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Goober Peas posted:

My parents are firmly convinced that if we did things like we did from 1948 - 1963 the world would be a better place. And they're quite salty about everything else.

So they miss overt racism?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Today I went somewhere cool:

:cool:

The place is loving huge, it feels way bigger that Daytona even though the track length is the same.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
A few years ago my wife told me she wanted a kid. I didn't feel ready but her clock was ticking, so I poured everything I had into making that happen - switched to a higher paying career, worked two jobs, bought a house that I didn't like in a distant suburb with great schools and parks for the kiddo, started a college plan early and invested heavily. My relationship with my wife became less and less intimate as she went into nesting mode before our son arrived and it started to feel like she valued me as a generic coparent but not for who I am. Meanwhile I gave up drinking because it was messing with my sleep, can't exercise because of a back injury, can't see friends because I live too far away in this god forsaken suburb, and can't have sex because my wife has been interested all of two times in the past year. I have no outlets left and basically commute to work where I am barely keeping my head above water and commute home where my baby screams at me all night.

Last night my wife told me she was considering separating. Based on how little we share in interests and values at this point, I would strongly consider it, but we have a four month old now and I don't know if he'd be better off with us together or apart. I feel like I did everything I could and still let him down.

gently caress 2017.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Well you could stay together and raise a kid in a toxic household full of mutual hatred or sever. Your choice. If it's as simple as you say it's as simple as you say.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

jammyozzy posted:

The place is loving huge, it feels way bigger that Daytona even though the track length is the same.

It really is, and it's a blast to walk around. I haven't been there since pre-F1 configuration (where there was more of a golf course in the infield), but it was always a great place to spend time. It's one of those places that has a "presence."

blk posted:

Last night my wife told me she was considering separating. Based on how little we share in interests and values at this point, I would strongly consider it, but we have a four month old now and I don't know if he'd be better off with us together or apart. I feel like I did everything I could and still let him down.

gently caress 2017.

drat, that's some tough poo poo. That timing after the kid, though, could be still pointing at postpartum instead of a true, reasoned intent. Have you tried, or considered, counseling? Either separate or together, it could be a big help. :glomp:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I didn't have the heart to try to explain this to a boomer if he didn't understand why 5 year old tech isn't going to reel them in

Hell, I'm 47, but I'm also a techie, so, I get it. I don't have to have high tech in my car, but at the very least, the radio needs to connect to my phone and do the stuff that my phone can do. Apple CarPlay and the Android equivalent are in the right direction. Basically let the phone, that already has what you want, provide the apps and do all the work.

Seminal Flu posted:

I see nothing interesting in modern cars. There's little innovation, just swoopy, angular metal play and some sorta-tech inside. That, combined with new cars being engineered to keep the owners from doing maintenance themselves, leaves me not giving a poo poo about what's new. I used to read/subscribe to R&T/Autoweek/C&D/Automobile/Motor Trend and others... I don't even pick them up at my dad's place anymore... new cars are either dead boring or obscenely expensive.

Cost is definitely a factor. The fact that you almost can't even get a base model, much less a performance base model like you used to doesn't help. I don't really need a whole lot of tech. Connect to my phone, nav, Bluetooth on the ICE, but I can get all that with an aftermarket head, if the damned auto makers would quit integrating it so much you can't. PW, PDL, keyless (which I can add) AC. I don't need memory power seats, power tilt wheel, rain sensing anything, or heated seats (Texas). Reversing cameras are nice.
I mean, all the extra stuff is nice, but they charge ridiculous prices for it. I can get a Pioneer CarPlay for $500, but something similar from Chevy is $2000 or whatever.

Safety: eh, I've managed to make it this far driving old junk that doesn't even have air bags, until my Crown Vic. Oh, wait, my Cherokee did have the mechanical air bag. Wife's cars since '96 have had air bags, but never used, thankfully.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Seminal Flu posted:

drat, that's some tough poo poo. That timing after the kid, though, could be still pointing at postpartum instead of a true, reasoned intent. Have you tried, or considered, counseling? Either separate or together, it could be a big help. :glomp:

But considering all the other stuff, it's likely more than that.
Like said before, bringing up a child in a household where no one likes each other does the child no favors.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

Well you could stay together and raise a kid in a toxic household full of mutual hatred or sever. Your choice. If it's as simple as you say it's as simple as you say.

This is true. I grew up with two parents in the same exact boat as you. They hated each other. As a young kid I thought my parents should separate. Sure it will make life a little more difficult. But having two happy parents who put in more effort to see you is better then having two parents in the same house who act like room mates more then husband and wife. Its tough to leave your partner and you may feel like your not giving your kid all that you can. But giving them two happy parents is one of the best things for a kids mental state. I myself am currently hosed in the head and its effecting my relationship because I don't know what a healthy relationship I'd like. So much so that my wife is more than likely going too leave me soon. As long as your child knows there loved that's all that matters in the long run. Good luck dude.

Edit: holy poo poo csb is my age....I feel like I have wasted my life.....

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Compared to CSB we've all wasted our lives.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

clam ache posted:

But giving them two happy parents is one of the best things for a kids mental state.

Hell they could end up with anywhere from 1-4 happy parents, assuming no Polygamy.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Compared to CSB we've all wasted our lives.

True. I maybe should not be so hard on myself. I mean I'm 28 I take care of my family. I'm training the two new guys at work. But most days my bi-polar mind is stuck in the negative end. And it effects everything I do. gently caress it's hard to be positive and happy around my kids when many days I just wanna swallow some draino....and then two seconds later my brain wants to gently caress anything with a hole then kicks back to depression and all the other fun feelings.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CharlesM posted:

[*]No mechanical lock levers. I'm sure the electric central locks could never fail (a very Teutonic attitude)

I had a 1991 Olds Toronado Trofeo (that I dearly loved for a lot of reasons) but the exterior door lock cylinders didn't actually do anything mechanically, they just activated the door unlock button.

Which doesn't do you a lot of good when your battery is dead and your doors are locked.

I think I later discovered there was a way around this (possibly from the owners manual that was locked in the car at the time), but I think I ended up calling a locksmith and having him slim jim it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The NAIAS is real good

The two plain pieces of black vinyl on that hood are a $900 option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

Dragonball Z is weird as poo poo. Like, you become a great fighter and suddenly you can loving fly? How does that work?
Speedforce. Ain't gotta explain that. Unrelated I saw a clean Escort GT yesterday and thought it was a cool looking car and realize why you loved yours.

Whoa. That's a tough break. The time leading up to and following having your first kid is hard. No way around it. Your social life is gone. Find a good support group of peers that can be a sounding board. Keep communication open with your wife. Be present when you're home and spend quality time with the little guy. I've generally made a habit of putting my phone in another room when I get home and leaving it for a few hours. My wife does the same. It's been good for everyone.

Seminal Flu posted:

These are good words too.

• Locked thread