Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good move, I say. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tennessee bringing back Mike Canales from Utah State for a second interview for the OC position. I didn't know he had a first interview.

Anyone know anything about him?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Arkansas should kidnap Chavis from ATM.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

tactlessbastard posted:

I don't think you can afford him, or that he's worth what he gets paid anymore.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

tactlessbastard posted:

Hope you want prevent defense on 3rd and 1!

Chavis is overrated nowadays

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
https://twitter.com/JClarkHFB/status/820736097814716417

:vince:

https://twitter.com/SunDevilSource/status/820326254465335296

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I wonder to what extent Dykes was on Baylor's radar

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Yeah, what a big 1-2 punch from the frogs over the past few days.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Gee I wonder...

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
https://twitter.com/ghansen711/status/820821461787021312

So, uhh, this is a good hire for Alabama (he's done incredibly good things for Arizona), but I'm sure whoever his successor is will put RichRod on a short-rear end leash so welcome to the hot seat, RichRod.

Really the only person whose opinion matters here is Sean Miller so they should pick a guy who Sean Miller can work with, RichRod be damned.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Real Name Grover posted:

I wonder to what extent Dykes was on Baylor's radar

As head coach or OC? I think he interviewed as HC, but Rhule had already made a hire at OC before he got fired. As an OC I think he's a great get for anybody in the Big 12.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

wow that seems totally out of the blue.

Byrne's a great AD. That's a good get for Bama.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile Tennessee still doesn't have an AD

to be fair the new chancellor doesn't take office until March 1 and they've said for a while an AD wouldn't be hired until early Feb. All signs point to Dave Blackburn being the guy

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 16, 2017

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Knowing that we likely could've had our pick of Sonny Dykes, Doug Meacham, or Rhett Lashlee makes the Tim Beck hire look that much better I gotta tell ya. I mean I guess it makes sense, given that philosophically Tom Herman is probably closer to Bill Snyder than Mike Leach, but still.

I suppose we saw Herman producing results elsewhere and hired him to do his thing here, though, so we might as well go ahead and let him do it. Why is it that when someone I acknowledge as an expert does something that seems like a bad idea to me, I assume they're wrong?

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Baylor Bitch

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Vols fired Willie Martinez and hired Charleton Warren from UNC to be the DB coach. Don't know much about the guy but UNC's passing defense was pretty good this year so it sounds like a good hire.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Thermos H Christ posted:

Knowing that we likely could've had our pick of Sonny Dykes, Doug Meacham, or Rhett Lashlee makes the Tim Beck hire look that much better I gotta tell ya. I mean I guess it makes sense, given that philosophically Tom Herman is probably closer to Bill Snyder than Mike Leach, but still.

I suppose we saw Herman producing results elsewhere and hired him to do his thing here, though, so we might as well go ahead and let him do it. Why is it that when someone I acknowledge as an expert does something that seems like a bad idea to me, I assume they're wrong?

Let Herman do Herman

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Adam Rittenberg posted:

UCLA announces offensive line coach Adrian Klemm has been fired. Klemm, a standout recruiter but also a controversial one, received a two-year show-cause order from the NCAA last September for recruiting violations. He was suspended in the spring of 2015 and for two games in the 2015 season. UCLA's offensive line struggled last fall, allowing 24 sacks. "Adrian is a friend, which makes change difficult sometimes," UCLA coach Jim Mora said in a prepared statement. "But right now, this is what is in the best interest of the program."

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Joey Freshwater posted:

Meanwhile Tennessee still doesn't have an AD

to be fair the new chancellor doesn't take office until March 1 and they've said for a while an AD wouldn't be hired until early Feb. All signs point to Dave Blackburn being the guy

ESPN just came out saying Phil Fulmer is being seen as a legit candidate for the AD spot. I think that would be a bad idea and a bad hire.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/821102729560879104

That would be an amazing hire, I'm really surprised he hasn't gotten more head coaching looks

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

ESPN just came out saying Phil Fulmer is being seen as a legit candidate for the AD spot. I think that would be a bad idea and a bad hire.

lmao

yeah there's basically no chance that ends well, unless it's like the Lynn Swann thing where he's just a figurehead.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/821110792724561922

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

That would be awesome...

for everyone other than Vols fans

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

vols what are you doing :psyduck:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/821102729560879104

That would be an amazing hire, I'm really surprised he hasn't gotten more head coaching looks

Looks like Baldwin to Cal is official.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

DJExile posted:

to put it in terms they should understand, stupid is as stupid does

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DJExile posted:

They realized firing Fulmer was incredibly dumb in hindsight and are over correcting

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Helfrich is apparently out of the picture for Auburn OC, word being that he wanted to stay on the west coast. The new leader in rumor volume is Okie State's OC, Mike Yurcich, who may or may not have met with Malzahn this weekend.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

https://twitter.com/ghansen711/status/820821461787021312

So, uhh, this is a good hire for Alabama (he's done incredibly good things for Arizona), but I'm sure whoever his successor is will put RichRod on a short-rear end leash so welcome to the hot seat, RichRod.

Really the only person whose opinion matters here is Sean Miller so they should pick a guy who Sean Miller can work with, RichRod be damned.

Richrod just getting to have his way in everything was mostly fine with me, but yeah, I don't see another AD just letting him have day games in September, when it's still around 100 f, in front of a half empty stadium because he feels like it's an advantage.

I dunno, this summer proved that even if Arizona recruits well initially it's just not a school with enough juice to keep said recruits. If that's the case there just really is no hope for the program.

And the fact that you can win the division and they can still stick USC or UCLA in the Rose Bowl anyway … yeah … why even bother to have a good coach.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Paul Rhoads (yes, that Paul Rhoads) has been promoted from DB coach to defensive coordinator at Arkansas.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Late to this but

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*sharp inhale*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Jesus gently caress, y'all. What are you even doing?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Paul Rhoads (yes, that Paul Rhoads) has been promoted from DB coach to defensive coordinator at Arkansas.

That's a good move, he was way overqualified to be a position coach

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I was stunned he was just a position guy when i first saw that. I thought it had to be a different guy.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Why would Fulmer be a bad AD at Tennessee?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
What has Fulmer ever done that suggests he'd be good at running an entire athletic department?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm skeptical of it at best - I really wanted Blackburn - but to play devils advocate, what's he done to suggest that he wouldn't be good at it?

Or at least bad enough to warrant the response it's gotten in this thread? I've just chalked most of the reactions up to the general "lol tennessee" attitude people here seem to have recently, but since the questions been asked, I'm genuinely curious.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Rhoads was a pretty solid DC for Auburn '08 even as the rest of the team collapsed around him, that should work out fine for Arkansas.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I mean, if he focuses on fundraising and has competent assistants to whom he can delegate most of the non-fundraising work and decision making then maybe it'll work, but personally I'd still rather have an AD with actual experience in administration.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
There seems to be a lot of squabbling between different factions within the UT admin and with the money people, maybe Fulmer would be able to mend the fences and bring everyone together? Who knows. I think he would be a good figurehead but I have no idea if he would be able to run the whole AD. Blackburn would be my first choice but I heard on the radio that there is a faction within the department sandbagging him because he was one of the only voices of reason against the hiring of Derek Dooley, so now they are sabotaging him to save face. It's all so ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah if Tennessee wants Fulmer as "AD", where he's just out glad-handing boosters and getting money while associate ADs run all the administrative work (as USC seems to be doing with Lynn Swann) then hey, more power to them.

If they want an AD to be a traditional AD, I'd want someone who's done the job before.

• Locked thread