Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Seminal Flu posted:

I see nothing interesting in modern cars.
but...

quote:

new cars are either dead boring or obscenely expensive.
I'm talking about the latter.

quote:

So yeah, get that new car that the bank owns and lets you drive for the 7 years it'll take you to pay it off
And that's why I could never afford one. I've never had a car payment and if I have my way I never will.

There's all kinds of cool poo poo out there. If I had the money, I'd drive the poo poo out of a Focus RS or a Raptor. Camless engines are really exciting. That Datsun variable compression ratio engine is too. The poo poo manufacturers are doing, how efficient ICEs have gotten in pretty much every way, I think that's all rad.

But I can't afford it and by the time this-model-year cars that I am interested in hit the bottom of their depreciation curve, (if we are even going to be allowed to drive our own cars powered by ICEs at that point) I either won't have the time or money to keep all of the poo poo that makes modern vehicles cool working.

I should've bought the 70k mile Grand Marquis that got traded into my work for $300, but I let my girlfriend talk me out of it. "We don't need another rear wheel drive car!" I could've finally owned something with airbags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Seminal Flu posted:

drat, that's some tough poo poo. That timing after the kid, though, could be still pointing at postpartum instead of a true, reasoned intent. Have you tried, or considered, counseling? Either separate or together, it could be a big help. :glomp:

Yeah, I've had pretty bad depression and anxiety since I was a kid and have been in therapy for most of the past 20 years. I've tried every medication on the market in that time with no traction. My wife and I are seeing another counselor together who mostly focuses on helping new dads transition into parenthood; I'm not sure if he's the right guy to talk with about the other parts of our relationship but I am going to try and find that person.

blk fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 15, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pham Nuwen posted:

somebody who's actually good at stats should make plots showing, with inflation adjustments: price of gas, price of a Honda Civic (longest-running name I could come up with right now), average wages, and maybe some road trip essentials like a can of Coke or a pack of cigarettes.

Or maybe graphing percent change since the first year would allow you to put them all on one graph and more easily make comparisons.

I can see how you'd have never heard of the Ford Mustang, F Series, or Chevy Corvette.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

nm posted:

So they miss overt racism?

So here's part of my categorical hatred of boomers. They'll take whichever side of an issue gives them a platform to stand on, provides them a benefit, and/or strokes their ego. My parents were very much engaged in the activism movements in the late 60s - early 70s. Namely because that was *the* bandwagon to jump on. They're very much on the Trump bandwagon now. It has nothing to do with the issues or the people themselves and everything to do with being on the grandstand.

That's hosed up. And it's not just my parents I see doing this.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

clam ache posted:

True. I maybe should not be so hard on myself. I mean I'm 28 I take care of my family. I'm training the two new guys at work. But most days my bi-polar mind is stuck in the negative end. And it effects everything I do. gently caress it's hard to be positive and happy around my kids when many days I just wanna swallow some draino....and then two seconds later my brain wants to gently caress anything with a hole then kicks back to depression and all the other fun feelings.

I'm your age. So far, I've:

Dropped out of school
Been arrested
Been fired from steak and shake
Spent three years washing dishes
Spent two years getting a useless degree in wrenching
Utterly failed in becoming a career mechanic
Spent a little over 3 years unemployed getting another degree with a year to go, just for a career I can never be certain I'll succeed at either

You could be doing a lot worse.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
We just found out today that my wife's 15 year old nephew unironically believes the earth is flat. Also wants to be homeschooled because "the teachers are all part of the conspiracy to keep the public in the dark that John Glenn never flew in space because allegedly he wouldn't swear on a bible that it actually happened and the moon landings were fake."

It was kind of interesting hearing my wife's sister and her husband try to argue against him when they're both unironic Trump supporters and spent the past year parroting every batshit insane conspiracy theory coming out of the alt-right. I find it amusing because the kid is essentially the product of his own upbringing and his parents don't seem to realize it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Enourmo posted:

Dropped out of school
Been arrested
Spent a little over 3 years unemployed getting another degree with a year to go, just for a career I can never be certain I'll succeed at either

You'll certainly have a hell of a platform to stand out for your next job interview. I'm serious - flip these from failures to experiences that made you a smart person.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Goober Peas posted:

So here's part of my categorical hatred of boomers. They'll take whichever side of an issue gives them a platform to stand on, provides them a benefit, and/or strokes their ego. My parents were very much engaged in the activism movements in the late 60s - early 70s. Namely because that was *the* bandwagon to jump on. They're very much on the Trump bandwagon now. It has nothing to do with the issues or the people themselves and everything to do with being on the grandstand.

That's hosed up. And it's not just my parents I see doing this.

Am I the only person who is getting more progressive(*) the older they get......?

(I know there's plenty but GG some days the mind loving boggles how yesterday's hippies have become today's conservative fucktards)

(*) And I dont mean Liberal. Liberal to me means Libertarian and that poo poo is no loving way to run a decent functional society

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I went to a Kmart in 2017:

The automatic door got jammed after opening 1/4 of the way. Even the building doesn't want me shopping here.

And the entire store is deserted. Like, there not even any employees here.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, a new sports car is roughly 50% of what I'd pay for a 2 bedroom house here, these days.

A new Mustang GT Premium with the toys I would want would be ~42k. If I put 10k down and financed the rest for 4 years I would be paying about the $16 less per month than my 15 year home mortgage. A 3 year loan (which is the longest I would ever do for a car) would be nearly $200 more a month than my mortgage. gently caress that.

While looking that up I noticed that Ford is offering 7 year auto loans. :lol:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Am I the only person who is getting more progressive(*) the older they get......?

(I know there's plenty but GG some days the mind loving boggles how yesterday's hippies have become today's conservative fucktards)

(*) And I dont mean Liberal. Liberal to me means Libertarian and that poo poo is no loving way to run a decent functional society

Access to information and access to other points of view will make a person more progressive.

Traditionally, as a person got older, their circle of friends and acquaintances got smaller and discussions turn into an echo chamber. willingness to seek out new information declines.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

Access to information and access to other points of view will make a person more progressive.

Traditionally, as a person got older, their circle of friends and acquaintances got smaller and discussions turn into an echo chamber. willingness to seek out new information declines.

If that was true, the hippies would have stayed hippies. Instead, the surfer dudes of the 60's are the ones yelling for the dogs to be unleashed on the Millenial rabble. There's much more at work here than simply echo chamber

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Enourmo posted:

Dropped out of school
Been arrested

Yeah I've done all that except drop out of school and work for stake and shake. And a failure is only a failure if you learn nothing from it. Which from your last item seems like you have learned and gotten better from the "failures" . I mean sure I'm a mediocre mechanic but I make so little that I can't afford to keep me and my family fed clothed and with a roof over there heads, and also get A.S.E. certs or more tools I deperatley need. Life is hard but we as humans must be water ever flowing and ever looking for the ocean. For today we get stuck in a tiny underground river with no light just darkness but tomorrow that river leads to a beautiful beach. Also I appreciate the words of kindness.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Boomers are selfish and self interested and care more about beinked jerked off and their money than they do anyone else

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Money and getting jerked off are pretty high on my priorities list too tbh.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cage posted:

Money and getting jerked off are pretty high on my priorities list too tbh.

Do you hate anyone who has less than you though?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Well, I traded the MG for a Volvo 164.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Pham Nuwen posted:

That was the brown midget right? I was browsing morris travellers earlier today then got depressed when I realised I can't afford one now and they're only going up. .

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Do you hate anyone who has less than you though?
Thats basically homeless people and children so yes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Enourmo posted:

Dropped out of school
Been arrested

By that age, I'd:

Worked as a bus boy through high school (and made $8/hr after tips, the serving staff HATED tipping us out, but we were friends with the owners)
Lived on my own through two years and a half of University, one in dorms, one and a half in a sketchy basement apartment)
Embarked on a 4 year degree in Manufacturing Engineering, completed almost all of the classes required for the Major, but got bored with the whole "school" thing.
Quit school, moved back with my parents, sent out random resumes to keep my dad off my back.
Actually landed an interview, and got a job as a Process Engineer in a long-standing company that made colors/pigments/dyes for the Rubber and Plastics industry.
Was unbelievably in over my head on many projects, but pushed my way through and learned a shitload about 84" Rubber Mills, Banbury/Brabender Mixers, Cowles dispersers, homogenizers, air handling units, air compressors, faculty maintenance, managing a maintenance team that knew I was a) dead green, but also b) the boss.
Bought a nice house at 22, where the owners all around me were retired. They saw some poo poo over the next decade. :D
Got married, got divorced.
Transferred to another part of the company to manage their PC and LAN systems.

That was a fuckload for getting to 28. A lot of the opportunities I had are simply not available now. I recognize both my luck and privilege.

Now I teach a generation of kids that are objectively less focused on work and more on social poo poo. And I see a lot of people talking badly about them, and I cannot do that. Why? It's what I tell those people --

You cannot say anything bad about them -- WE MADE THEM. We let them grow up weak. That does not translate into strong adults.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 16, 2017

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Seminal Flu posted:

We let them grow up weak.

Jesus christ, dude.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Galler posted:

A new Mustang GT Premium with the toys I would want would be ~42k. If I put 10k down and financed the rest for 4 years I would be paying about the $16 less per month than my 15 year home mortgage. A 3 year loan (which is the longest I would ever do for a car) would be nearly $200 more a month than my mortgage. gently caress that.

While looking that up I noticed that Ford is offering 7 year auto loans. :lol:

7 year loans have been a thing forever. At least since when I worked in car sales (mid to late 90s).

If you've got plenty of dough and would rather shove the money into a mutual fund, a 7 year loan at ~4% isn't a bad idea.

But of course that isn't who uses them 99% of the time. They're used by people to buy a car that's 15 grand more than they can afford. And 30 grand more than they can really afford.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

eighty-four merc posted:

Jesus christ, dude.

You're right, "hooray for everyone" is the best mantra.

Further, they have been taught that "The way to get a good job is to do well in high school so you can get into a good college so you can get a good job." This wasn't taught 30 years ago. The trades are important and can make more than a college grad... They have no concept of finances, credit, how to fix even the most simple things... they are weak in that they have no self-reliance.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 16, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Anyone older than me is an ignorant greedy boomer. Anyone younger than me is a lazy feckless millennial.

Only people born within 10 minutes in either direction are normal, functional people.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If that was true, the hippies would have stayed hippies. Instead, the surfer dudes of the 60's are the ones yelling for the dogs to be unleashed on the Millenial rabble. There's much more at work here than simply echo chamber

My 74 year old dad was a hippie (despite being an engineer) and in his old age has basically become a full blown communist and was a big bernie bro.

He's probably the exception that proves the rule though.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Seminal Flu posted:

What?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

Anyone older than me is an ignorant greedy boomer. Anyone younger than me is a lazy feckless millennial.

Only people born within 10 minutes in either direction are normal, functional people.

At 45, I can't claim responsibility for millenials, but I can't ignore the fact that I'm close enough that I have to. Somebody has to. Boomers hosed a lot of things up, and the upcoming generation is going to have to clean it up. Those of us in the middle have to help where we can.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

scrubs season six posted:

7 year loans have been a thing forever. At least since when I worked in car sales (mid to late 90s).

At one point in the early/mid-80s, Volvo offered 10 year loans on their cars. The logic was that their cars were so safe and reliable that everyone should be able to afford one. I'll have to dig through my archive to find the ad - it blew my mind then, and it blows my mind today.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seminal Flu posted:

Further, they have been taught that "The way to get a good job is to do well in high school so you can get into a good college so you can get a good job." This wasn't taught 30 years ago. The trades are important and can make more than a college grad... They have no concept of finances, credit, how to fix even the most simple things... they are weak in that they have no self-reliance.

Maybe they aren't into the whole school thing because they realize there aren't many jobs waiting for them when they get out?

Idk just spitballing here

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Goober Peas posted:

My parents are firmly convinced that if we did things like we did from 1948 - 1963 the world would be a better place. And they're quite salty about everything else.

Pham Nuwen posted:

My mother had to trade her MG for a Morris Marina because she couldn't fit behind the wheel while pregnant. Wasn't impressed.

cakesmith handyman posted:

That was the brown midget right? I was browsing morris travellers earlier today then got depressed when I realised I can't afford one now and they're only going up. .
"Given that we seem to have made a habit of building cars where you can actively hear the metal corroding when it's wet, what should we do next?"
"Structural wood with no effective preservative applied?"
"Sounds good!"

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

scrubs season six posted:

I didn't know that was a thing. The longest loan I've seen on their payment calculator before was 6 and I remember that being a surprise. I guess I'm used to my credit union that doesn't want its members to make terrible financial decisions and keeps loan terms more reasonable.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Maybe they aren't into the whole school thing because they realize there aren't many jobs waiting for them when they get out?

Idk just spitballing here

Oh, I'm sure that's part of it for some. There's also the crushing debt that they need to undertake to get a degree that most people over the age of 40 don't even consider as a factor. They think that "there's always been student loans needed" without recognizing that the economic cost of schooling has doubled, plus, in the last 15 years, or the fact that student loans cannot be discharged through bankruptcy anymore.

We've stacked the deck against a whole generation that we're supposed to be bringing up.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seminal Flu posted:

the economic cost of schooling has doubled, plus, in the last 15 years

Last time I looked the numbers up (a couple years ago), it had doubled since 2006 and tripled since 2000.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Raluek posted:

Last time I looked the numbers up (a couple years ago), it had doubled since 2006 and tripled since 2000.

It depends on the state and school, double covers just about everyone, there are certainly examples of more than double.

I'm not entirely anti-college, though. It does have some valuable benefits, many of them intangible. There are also ways to go to college without getting fully finance-raped. A lot of 2-year schools have programs that funnel their graduates into 4-year schools. There's a quick $10k+ savings right there.

I've looked into this quite a bit, starting from when a home-schooled student told me several years ago that the advice her mom gave her was that when she got out of college, she "should be in car-sized debt, not house-sized debt." I thought she was joking first, then I did the math. It's a loving frightening future we're lining up for a _lot_ of people.

Then for lol-ing, there was a conversation on NPR this week about how the housing industry is wondering why millenials are not getting into the house-buying market. loving lol.

And for tinfoil-hatting, which group would be more likely to raise a riot -- a group that is educated and free, or a group that is educated, but shacked with debt that needs to be paid back?

And for further research -- look at the penalties that are in place for defaulting on student loans. The lending agency doesn't hold on to the loans for very long into default before they funnel the debt on to collections, that adds a ridiculous penalty (something on the order of 20%+) along with collections fees. loving ludicrous.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I know that I look forward to the coming student rebellion

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Powershift posted:

:perfect:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There were not that many "real" hippies. This is not really a no true scotsman thing. There were a bunch of people who protested the war (because they didn't want to go), and there were a whole bunch of people who liked pot, music, and sex. However, really truly lefty hippism wasn't really as widespread as people think and was a small fraction of the population, mostly at or around universities. Remember that most of the boomers weren't actually going to UC Berkeley or whatevee, but were working some blue collar job in Iowa or some poo poo with a high school diploma.

My mother seems to reject having been a hippy, though all of her college friends (well, the ones she talks to) were and both she and them are all liberal as hell. She went to UC Santa Cruz and Berkeley and became a professor (though STEM), so there's some selection bias there.

The 60s were a weird time as far as I can tell. My grandfather was a retired marine officer (landing crafts in the pacific), grew up on a farm in Idaho, a cow scientist, and a stoic, german guy. He was offended by people's park and made it well enough known that Reagan tried to have him fired (and failed) because he didn't toe the party line like they did at Berkeley. He also refused to join the local golf club, because they wouldn't let Japanese-Americans join. He was by no meaning of the word a hippy, but he was out there pissing people off by doing the right thing. He considered himself conservative, but he also hated racism, sexism, homophobia, wasn't terrified of government programs, and most importantly thought that shooting students was dumb as gently caress. Before all that he was recruited to be a dean or something at Texas A&M. Me thinks he either wouldn't have lasted long or Texas A&M would be way different. He also wasn't a fan of college athletics costing money

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
My little sister is paying 3x as much per year of Uni as I did, simply by virtue of being born 4 years later. One year of her tuition costs almost as much as my entire degree, and I already have a scary amount of debt from that.

At the same time I'm one of the luckier ones, I had a good education, I have a solid job, I'm 26 and my salary is already well over the national median. My partner and I are DINKS and yet we still can't afford to buy a home, we could barely afford to rent somewhere near where I work so instead we're living with his family for the forseeable future. :shrug:

I'm not expecting the world on a plate, but there's something seriously hosed up when my generation is facing a lower quality of life than the one before through no fault of our own.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

I'm not expecting the world on a plate, but there's something seriously hosed up when my generation is facing a lower quality of life than the one before through no fault of our own.

That be the truth. Even if I *just* got my education without a huge debt, the amount of insane cost increases and hell, the way health care is being rear end hosed is leading to a very sorry end for a lot of younger people. Hell, it's not like it's that pretty for the Gen X'ers either - we've had our saving destroyed and jobs aren't exactly paying enough to cover housing and trying to save for some sort of retirement. Let alone the damage from the Boomers is now more and more ours to fix and just how the gently caress are we supposed to that with the way the Boomers have stacked the deck, let alone there's still a bunch of Boomers still in positions of power who have huge power, still wont gently caress off and stop making GBS threads the place up until they die (Koch Brothers, Rupert Murdoch etc)

Let alone the Boomers vote against what would help the Gen X'ers and Millenials fix poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
i just split the sidewall of my BMW's front tire on my lift. I'm both pissed and yet laughing because I just can't believe it happened. $600 later and I'll have a new set. Ugh.

Question of the day is, do I toss a set of Blizzak WS80's on for $450 and wait until spring to find some other wheels/summer tires... choices...

the spyder fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 16, 2017

• Locked thread