Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

greatn posted:

Their VC pricing has always been consistent, NES games for 5, SNES for 8, N64 for ten, Wii for 15. That's never changed. GBA and DS were more variable

The new VC games on the Switch might cost more since they're adding online play. VC games with newly added features like the Pokemon R/B/Y games cost a bit more than the standard ones.

But it'd be an increase of like $1-5, nothing like an additional $10 or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I would pay $35 for Extreme G with online multiplayer. I'm pretty sure it had a Mario Kart arena battle mode that was fun as hell, but it's been a while since I played it. (It may have been in the sequel.)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Welcome to page 666, hail Satan and hail the Nintendo Switch.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hail satan

hail reggie

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Welcome to page 666, hail Satan and hail the Nintendo Switch.

Nintendo's Witch.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I just want Gamecube VC games on the Switch

So I can play Super Mario Sunshine

Cause Sunshine is a good game

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's not helping westerners as much as you think, especially when game budgets are swelling to impractical size and affecting profit margins. Honestly, chasing higher quality visuals strikes me as more and more a case of diminishing returns.

A game shouldn't look as awful as Star Fox Zero, mind you, but. There's a thing to be said for opulence being more trouble than it's worth. You can't say that Souls or Bloodborne holding back on visuals has necessarily hurt them, can you?

Actually, the problem with Western budgets isn't what they're spending on development, but advertising. Case in point: two thirds of the budget for the Destiny IP (350 mil) is devoted to just marketing. The tools are getting cheaper but advertising is getting out of loving hand.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Infinitum posted:

My friend just gave me a Path of Radiance copy to play, so you can rest assured it will be coming to the VC now that I'm not desperate for it.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

tsob posted:

No game that old is worth $35. I just checked and you could buy an N64 with two controllers and three games, along with a separate copy of the physical Extreme G game on eBay for less than twice that price (€60 versus €33). You could pick up a game that's about 6 months old for less than that these days if you look around.

greatn posted:

Their VC pricing has always been consistent, NES games for 5, SNES for 8, N64 for ten, Wii for 15. That's never changed. GBA and DS were more variable

Kelp Plankton posted:

But it'd be an increase of like $1-5, nothing like an additional $10 or whatever.

I was being facetitious guys

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm also hoping the Switch gets homebrew running on it quickly

So I can have a portable NES/SNES/64/GB/GBC/GBA/etc emulator

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Just lol if you think nintendo would somehow re-release extreme G (the best game)

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Stop stealing video games guys

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Infinitum posted:

:yeah:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do we know if full price switch games can be digital? I think I might rather buy Zelda digitally so it's attached to my account and not an easily lost piece of plastic. I could maybe even sell the special edition for a profit. Also, the special edition saying it's released on the 13th is really annoying me, waiting over a week for a release game would suck.

Edit: Hail Satan

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I love how every story of Miyamoto exercising his authority morphs into stories about him being a self obsessed tyrant, without fail.

Because that's what often happens to figures like Miyamoto. And multiple rumors over the years (we're talking almost 20 years) have done a lot to confirm that. There's also a lot of interviews where his demeanor suggests he's a genius but also an rear end in a top hat that only listens to his own voice. My favorite shiggy line is: "so, everyone was telling me we needed to do online multiplayer but I thought it was a fad, and I don't do fads".

The city in Mario Odyssey looked a bit jarring at first but it definitely could work. Maybe it looked jarring because it was actually a fresh idea? Not that Miyamoto can't have good new ideas, mind you.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Jimmy Hats posted:

I was being facetitious guys

every post in this thread is 100% serious and i dont like your disrespectful attitude towards your own very serious posts

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You know what game should be ported to Switch or get a sequel on Switch? Cloudberry Kingdom.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm hoping that all switch games are cart only with some security feature that make piracy impossible. Also hoping any VC stuff requires the system to be 100% updated to run.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Neon is excluse to EB Games in Australia. JB HiFi is only getting grey.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kawabata posted:

Because that's what often happens to figures like Miyamoto. And multiple rumors over the years (we're talking almost 20 years) have done a lot to confirm that. There's also a lot of interviews where his demeanor suggests he's a genius but also an rear end in a top hat that only listens to his own voice. My favorite shiggy line is: "so, everyone was telling me we needed to do online multiplayer but I thought it was a fad, and I don't do fads".

The city in Mario Odyssey looked a bit jarring at first but it definitely could work. Maybe it looked jarring because it was actually a fresh idea? Not that Miyamoto can't have good new ideas, mind you.

The fact Miyamoto has stepped back and moved on to a more advisory role is pretty much evidence he's not nearly as much of an rear end in a top hat as people who like to think he personally set out to ruin Paper Mario or something would like to believe. People like that don't let go of power to begin with.

The man can be short sighted and stubborn, but this is still quite a leap. But then, fandoms deal in extremes about things and people, never nuance.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

If that's the case can he tell someone at Nintendo to make an F-Zero game because they don't need gimmicks or surprises to work.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

How can a rumor confirm something?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Anidav posted:

Neon is excluse to EB Games in Australia. JB HiFi is only getting grey.

Who'd want Neon anyway (He says after also preordering a set of neon controls)

Also Zelda BotW Limited Edition is an EB exclusive as well. (But it's sold out and also doesn't even come with the case, coin or map, so :laffo: at this point)
JB HiFi only gets regular.

We're also supposedly getting close on preorders running out on the regular edition of Zelda.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'd debate that because it's never exactly been a top tier franchise.

I mean if Nintendo didn't have confidence in Star Fox coming out without a new idea, they're not gonna make a new F-Zero just to make it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I really dig the city in the new Mario. Anything to break him away from castles without having to go into space.

I got a preorder for the Switch and Zelda because I hate money. The only thing that is really making me nervous is their online stuff. They have such a bad track record. I just want to play Splatoon and download some SNES games without any hassle.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jonas Albrecht posted:

How can a rumor confirm something?

I'm reminded of something from something a Squenix dev said regarding Yamauichi after he passed regarding the two companies moving away from each other after the SNES. The rumor was that Yamauchi violently rebuffed them and had him hauled before a loving panel of Nintendo's executives and idea men.

The actual account had Yamauchi sharing a bento box and tea with him and wishing him luck.

I mean the man was stubborn and cut throat but. Yeah.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren: Aussies Only :siren:

It looks like if you want to pick up just the extra crap that comes in the limited edition set, Nintendo AU will be selling it via their eBay page later

http://www.vooks.net/legend-zelda-breath-wild-different-limited-editions-australia/
http://press-start.com.au/news/2017/01/13/zelda-botw-will-three-different-editions-australia/

Seriously seriously pissed we are not getting the Shiekah Slate carry case tho. That thing looked awesome during the Treehouse stream

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

TFRazorsaw posted:

The fact Miyamoto has stepped back and moved on to a more advisory role is pretty much evidence he's not nearly as much of an rear end in a top hat as people who like to think he personally set out to ruin Paper Mario or something would like to believe. People like that don't let go of power to begin with.

The man can be short sighted and stubborn, but this is still quite a leap. But then, fandoms deal in extremes about things and people, never nuance.

We're working on assumptions here but people like that do step off when they're being told they're embarrassing themselves or when they're actually forced to by circumstances. He doesn't look like a terrible person to me, just someone who's a genius at his job and won't let you forget it. Mix that with japanese culture and you can imagine how hard it would be to give any kind of input to Miyamoto and not be ignored or ridiculed.

That said I'm sure he's not the only one responsible for the most recent Nintendo woes.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

alf_pogs posted:

hail satan

hail reggie

You know what Satan said about hell? "Welcome to hell, who gives a poo poo"

for your hell

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Q_res posted:

I thought 90 MBps was plenty fast, especially considering it's a good $25 cheaper than the 95 MBps cards you linked.

90MB/s is the theoretical top speed. The card isn't guaranteed to hit that mark or sustain that speed. The card you linked was rated U1, which refers to its minimum realtime write speed. Ideally, I'd expect you'd want a U3 rated card since I'm assuming sustained write speeds will be important for some/most games. I could be wrong though! U1 rated cards have a min realtime write speed of 10MB/s, whereas a U3 rated card has a min realtime write speed of 30MB/s, i.e., a U3 rated card is roughly 3 times faster when it comes to its slowest/sustained write speed.

[edit]
Here's a video that, while the card is being utilized for a different application, is a good example that shows how much faster a U3 rated card can write data:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_je1tu0tVw

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 16, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm reminded of something from something a Squenix dev said regarding Yamauichi after he passed regarding the two companies moving away from each other after the SNES. The rumor was that Yamauchi violently rebuffed them and had him hauled before a loving panel of Nintendo's executives and idea men.

The actual account had Yamauchi sharing a bento box and tea with him and wishing him luck.

I mean the man was stubborn and cut throat but. Yeah.

I'm an idiot because this is actually from an article posted a couple days ago: http://gamingbolt.com/square-enix-discusses-nintendos-reaction-when-final-fantasy-7-was-announced-for-playstation

quote:

According to Sakaguchi, Nintendo were magnanimous about the decision. “When we made our decision, the president of Square [Masafumi Miyamoto], our lead programmer [Ken Narita] and I went to a meeting with Yamauchi-san. There is an old cultural tradition where, in Kyoto, someone will welcome you with tea, but you’re not supposed to really drink that tea. It’s just polite to have it there. And Yamauchi-san welcomed us with a very expensive bento meal and beer, and gave us a very nice welcome and basically patted us on the back to say, “I wish you the best.” No bitter feelings or anything.”

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I still kind of can't believe I'm going to be playing the new Zelda on a handheld console. In all reality I think I'll mostly play it on the go since I can't really get much sit down and do one thing gaming these days.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

isnt the next guy quoted like "ehhh he might just be being diplomatic about how that all went"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I am replaying Link Between Worlds on my 3DS atm.

Zelda games are so good you guys

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Infinitum posted:

I am replaying Link Between Worlds on my 3DS atm.

Zelda games are so good you guys

it has the most elegant dungeons

elegant is a poo poo buzzword when used in game design but i like using elegant for a link between worlds

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Super No Vacancy posted:

isnt the next guy quoted like "ehhh he might just be being diplomatic about how that all went"

The second guy backs up what he said, and there's a third guy who wasn't even there says "I heard different".

They all have a different perspective on it but that's still a far cry from "hauled before a grand jury of Yamauchi, Miyamoto, and whomever to be shamed and humbled" or whatever.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

The second guy backs up what he said, and there's a third guy who wasn't even there says "I heard different".

They all have a different perspective on it but that's still a far cry from "hauled before a grand jury of Yamauchi, Miyamoto, and whomever to be shamed and humbled" or whatever.

This might also be because FF7 not coming to N64 was 100% due to Nintendo upper management's stupidity.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Jimmy Hats posted:

Extreme G - $35

The only thing sadder than this was when I found out the American kid who programmed The New Tetris (THE best version of Tetris ever created) and Tetrisphere on N64 died at age 29 from a loving asthma attack.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kawabata posted:

This might also be because FF7 not coming to N64 was 100% due to Nintendo upper management's stupidity.

Never said it wasn't stupidity. I'm talking about how fandom's perception and twisting of events leads to comically larger than life vilification. I admitted that Yamauchi and Miyamoto both have been stubborn and backwards in their time.

This poo poo is similar to how the "Nintendo killed Gunpei Yokoi" bullcrap developed traction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

Never said it wasn't stupidity. I'm talking about how fandom's perception and twisting of events leads to comically larger than life vilification. I admitted that Yamauchi and Miyamoto both have been stubborn and backwards in their time.

Sure, wasn't criticizing your view.

We also wouldn't have the same Nintendo games if they had a different philosophy and I believe they're still the best developer in the world. Sometimes I wish they used someone else's marketing department though. :(

• Locked thread