Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

VideoGames posted:

What is the fan version of Zelda?

I've only ever played Legend of Zelda on the NES and Hyrule Warriors, so I've not got much experience with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxav9Jj7R68

Which is basically BotW anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
^^
I picked the comedy option

VideoGames posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9KJlCKk6UA

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So according to some sources BotW will run at equal frame rate on both versions.

I guess that means I'll get to play the game with my Bayonetta 2 home entertainment system.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

VideoGames posted:

I've only ever played Legend of Zelda on the NES and Hyrule Warriors, so I've not got much experience with them.

Hentai.

And I've also heard it runs on the same framerate on both consoles, but Wii U sometimes has framedrops when a lot is going on (e.g. explosions).

Spider2414 fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 16, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

WaltherFeng posted:

So according to some sources BotW will run at equal frame rate on both versions.

I guess that means I'll get to play the game with my Bayonetta 2 home entertainment system.

This is demonstrably untrue. The Wii U version's performance is dire.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

What sources?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

anatomi posted:

What sources?

He has an uncle that works for Nintendo you see!
:goonsay:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

anatomi posted:

What sources?

https://youtu.be/NDy5_sDZUZg

https://youtu.be/cJXpZLLebLg

https://youtu.be/8eRa067BE2I

https://youtu.be/_ZuxgLcgpFk

https://youtu.be/GgT6KpNnILc

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It looks much smoother on Switch but I think 'dire' is a bit OTT.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

well why not posted:

It looks much smoother on Switch but I think 'dire' is a bit OTT.

Gamers do not have nuance.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013
Colours look a lot better on the Switch though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well I mean, the frame rate doesn't look as stable, the draw distance is much lower, and everything looks washed out in comparison.

Dire or not the difference is stark.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The colour palette difference wouldn't have anything to do with performance. That adjustment is an artistic decision that's been made in the time between demos.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well I mean, the frame rate doesn't look as stable, the draw distance is much lower, and everything looks washed out in comparison.

Dire or not the difference is stark.

Fewer trees in the Wii U one too.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

The colour palette difference wouldn't have anything to do with performance. That adjustment is an artistic decision that's been made in the time between demos.

How dare you bring logic into this discussion

Don't you understand that it's GAMERS that get to decide how a game looks and performs?!

Clearly Nintendo are going to put the WORST PRODUCT POSSIBLE on the Switch as they are not known for having any standards and constantly release low grade shovelware

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Either way, it doesn't compare favorably and we have no evidence of the colors looking better on the Wii U yet.

Anyway, apparently Randy Pitchford said that Gearbox have no plans for the Switch and I guess that means they absolutely have something coming out for the Switch

Get it because the man lies all the time

Haaaa

(Nothing of value was lost)

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

Ah my bad, I thought the footage was recorded at the same time.

Doesn't that make any comparison redundant for now?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Flumbooze posted:

Yes.

If this is something that is important to you in selecting the best possible version of the game, and if you want a 100% accurate unbiased comparison between the 2 versions you'll have to wait until launch.
Until then, everything else is just hearsay and dickheads on youtube panhandling for views.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Flumbooze posted:

Ah my bad, I thought the footage was recorded at the same time.

I guess technically, but they straight up haven't shown the Wii U version in months

I'm not saying there's a conspiracy or anything but that sticks out at least a little bit doesn't it?

EDIT - it's not just being reactionary or "peddling for views"; even if you aren't out to disparage the Wii U version isn't it worthwhile to show how the Switch version has improved on what we saw last summer?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm sure Nintendo is going to release a version that is optimised as much as possible for the Switch, and a version that is optimised as much as possible for the WiiU.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yeah it's super dumb to buy it for Wii U if you plan on getting a switch, it's clearly the preferred platform and the Wii U version is a kindness at this point.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Infinitum posted:

I'm sure Nintendo is going to release a version that is optimised as much as possible for the Switch, and a version that is optimised as much as possible for the WiiU.

Yes, I agree with that

I'm just not sure the latter will be favorable compared to the former. The Wii U is what it is technically.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.gq.com/story/nintendo-switch-is-coming

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Yes.

If this is something that is important to you in selecting the best possible version of the game, and if you want a 100% accurate unbiased comparison between the 2 versions you'll have to wait until launch.
Until then, everything else is just hearsay and dickheads on youtube panhandling for views.

I don't have a Wii U so I'll get the Switch anyway, but it is interesting seeing how the Wii U compares to the Switch.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I guess technically, but they straight up haven't shown the Wii U version in months

I'm not saying there's a conspiracy or anything but that sticks out at least a little bit doesn't it?

Well, either it's absolutely terrible on the Wii U but they still want to sell copies on that platform or it looks just as good on the Wii U, but they want to sell the Switch. There's no way to tell until launch really.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Guys, guys, stop fighting. Zelda will run poorly on both.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Guys, guys, stop fighting. Zelda will run poorly on both.

As long as Link manages to run for as long as I press the sprint button, that's fine with me. She can go on the horse.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

One time when I was little Bomberman the Second Attack came out and I had just gotten it for my birthday. Me and a group of friends stayed up late at night playing it because it was just so fun. At one point however I had gotten a skull power down and turned into a hamster! I didn't realize I had picked it up and my friends didn't know why I was a hamster either but it became clear- they had to bomb the easy target. I would run from them in a panic trying to survive only to accidentally bump into another player which- as it turns out turns them into a hamster too!

"Why is HE a hamster now?!" We laughed utterly confused. "Wait! Maybe this is a win condition because we turned the timer off!" A second friend deduced. "If you have the hamster power up and you're the only one with it for a set amount of time you win! It's like a flag you gotta carry!"

That sounded reasonable to me and the others and it suddenly became a game of tag where non-hamsters would place bombs trying to corral other players to them in order to transform and cries of anguish if it wore off would fill the room. I remember the game no longer being bomberman and instead turning into some odd game of tag for a good 30-40 minutes. The only way to end it was when someone accidentally killed the final hamster and the power down was finally gone.

Everyone was upset at the lost of hamster.

That's my story.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

Since then, I'd say ..... Super Mario Maker,

Yeah,it sure was revolutionary the way they ripped off a game that came out 7 years earlier.

Now we get to the part where people try to claim LittleBigPlanet was totally not special or innovative, but doing the same thing with a Mario skin is the REAL revolutionary idea.

Infinitum posted:

Real talk tho.

You see a lot of gamers go "You should buy a PS4 to play Uncharted", "You should buy a XBone to play Halo"

Switch is going to have Zelda Breath of the Wild are launch. Everything I've personally seen has it shaping up to be one of the most incredible Zelda experiences ever released.
Seriously man buy a Switch for Zelda, everything else is just the cherry on top for the first few months (Bomberman :swoon:)

Its amazing how the most incredible Zelda game ever made is basically Skyrim with only 4 dungeons, a stupid plot, no smithing, and voice acting even below what Bethesda do.

Oh, and, I seem to recall that attitude of "You need to buy Nintendo games you sheep, buy this console" being the selling point for something else, what was it...oh, right, the WiiU.

Infinitum posted:

Def ignore the 'kiddy' aesthetic of Splatoon.

It's probably one of the finest team arena shooters released in a long rear end time.
If you like poo poo like CSGO, TF2, Q3, Overwatch, etc you will def love Splatoon 2 when it releases.

he says about a game that doesn't even have loving voice chat.

And I notice that the people who keep saying how great Splatoon is are the ones who keep making GBS threads on Overwatch, which is another thing that makes me think Splatoon is a garbage game only garbage people like.

well why not posted:

yeah it's super dumb to buy it for Wii U if you plan on getting a switch, it's clearly the preferred platform and the Wii U version is a kindness at this point.

Its super loving dumb to plan to buy a Switch, period. How about wait to see if it can even live long enough to not see its exclusives become the launch titles for the next rushed console, before you throw money at Nintendo for failing to learn anything from the WiiU.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

And I notice that the people who keep saying how great Splatoon is are the ones who keep making GBS threads on Overwatch, which is another thing that makes me think Splatoon is a garbage game only garbage people like.

When did I poo poo on Overwatch?

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Why does it make you so angry that people are willing to buy the Switch to play Zelda, if they absolutely love the series? People know what games they're gonna get when they buy a Nintendo console and if it makes them have fun why wouldn't they?

(Besides, are you implying Skyrim's plot wasn't stupid :raise:)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

Its amazing how the most incredible Zelda game ever made is basically Skyrim with only 4 dungeons, a stupid plot, no smithing, and voice acting even below what Bethesda do.

You came back from the future to post about a console you hate

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Super Mario Maker ripped off Little Big Planet in that their level creators are completely different and they involve series that play completely differently

But LBP totally invented the idea of a level creator/editor despite it being something that existed for years beforehand m

That's not even DISPARAGING that series or saying it's not innovative or good but come on, get some flipping perspective

EDIT - more perspective; Mega Man Powered Up came out two years before LBP with a level editor, and those two series have as much in common as LBP does with Mario Maker. Comparing them like you're doing is dumb.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 16, 2017

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hello friends. I have a Press Release about Bomberman.

Confirms Online Battles, 50 mission story mode, voice acting.....PHOTO REALISTIC GRAPHICS.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fulchrum posted:

he says about a game that doesn't even have loving voice chat.

I think Overwatch is a great game. I think it's way better than Splatoon, but I liked Splatoon, too. A curious thing about Overwatch, though, is that the majority of players don't use voice chat, regardless of platform (I played maybe 100 hours on PS4 before switching to PC, on which I've played way more.) Most don't even use text-based chat, except to passive aggressively say "ggez" at the end of matches that they win. Now obviously, vocal on-the-spot communication is critical in professional level play, but that's like the 1%'ers of Overwatch. The everyday game that most of us play is still excellent without hardly anybody taking advantage of its built-in communication features.

The game (audio, in particular) is designed intuitively enough to where voice chat isn't vital. The same goes for Splatoon. I'm pretty sure Nintendo purposefully avoided including voice chat in Splatoon, because they feared the worst of how the general public would use it. Based on way too many years of playing games with voice chat, they weren't exactly wrong.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Super No Vacancy posted:

when was the last time nintendo developed a revelatory game and didn't merely incrementally improve on the previous solid installment. was it ocarina of time

Excitetruck

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Flumbooze posted:

As long as Link manages to run for as long as I press the sprint button, that's fine with me. She can go on the horse.

He has a stamina meter and its on screen taunting you way to much imo. Really weird design choice to have it over links head intruding on the action in an otherwise minimal ui.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

50 stages story mode

ed: pretend i read the page

im hyped about bummerman

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 16, 2017

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Kurtofan posted:

im hyped about bummerman

Oh, you saw my thread there too.

TERMINAL SONICITUS
Dec 24, 2012

He...he went so fast...
Does anyone know if Bomberman R is up for pre-order yet? I looked for it and it doesn't seem available anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Will there be a Crimson Shroud: Switch with haptic die rolling and piece moving?

• Locked thread