Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I mean I won't lie when I say that I was flabbergasted when I opened two booster boxes for in-store singles and added up the prices of the rares/legendaries and it totaled $487. But we also have roughly 30 people playing this thing locally so I'd be a fool to try and make a quick buck now when I could instead invest in the community and have it pay off long-term. It's sad that some shops don't see things that way.

I wonder what the EV of a box really is right now if you sold the six legendaries and all the rares on eBay. I have a box of the newest Magic set coming to me for judging a prerelease and I'm debating asking if I can swap it for a box of Awakenings, but there are only a few more cards I need to complete my playset and they're all legendaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Is there any reason to mix ranged and melee characters other than fear of the board sweeping gray events? I can't think of a good one, and it's kind of bumming me out. That really reduces the number of viable deck options.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Helion posted:

Is there any reason to mix ranged and melee characters other than fear of the board sweeping gray events? I can't think of a good one, and it's kind of bumming me out. That really reduces the number of viable deck options.

I've felt the same way since I started deck building. I have grievous and jango, and I'd like to use them together, but I don't feel that mixing ranged and melee is going to work all too well.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
After looking over the card pool and not really finding a very good way to parse color identities, I ultimately came to the conclusion that I have no idea what I'm doing or talking about, because I cannot for the life of me figure out what each color is supposed to be trying to do, if in fact the colors are supposed to have delineated identities at all, or how this game is balanced

So I decided to just loosely go with:
  • red is for weapon upgrades and shooty vehicles with a smattering of versatile or support-oriented heroes
  • yellow is for going mad aggro yo and setting up handshake decks, also the only hard mill hero is in here?
  • blue is for generally controlling the gently caress out of die, with some other traditional control elements in play too

I own a booster box, a Kylo Ren starter, and a Rey starter, and have traded for only a little; as a result there's a lot of stuff I'd like to change, but this is what I have available to me so yeah

Characters: Kylo Ren (2 die) // Darth Vader (1 die)
Battlefield: Frozen Wastes (Starkiller Base)

Upgrades (9)
Force Throw x2
Force Training x2
Immobilize x1
Lightsaber x2
Mind Probe x1
Sith Holocron x1

Supports (3)
It Binds All Things x1
Power Of The Dark Side x2

Events (18)
Abandon All Hope x2
Deflect x2
Disturbance In The Force x2
Feel Your Anger x1
Isolation x2
Mind Trick x2
No Mercy x1
The Power Of The Force x2
Pulling The Strings x2
Use The Force x2

My feeling is that going monocolor will have serious disadvantages, but the one color which probably hurts you the least for going all-in on is blue, where there is a ton of stuff that is blue character only, requires spotting a blue character, or gains power based on blue cards, so the idea here is to weave all of that together for a sort of... tempo... idea? I guess?

The idea is to use the Holocron and IBAT to quickly become more powerful than they are, and then control threatening die with straight up removal from upgrades or cheap events, all the while getting peeks at their hand with Kylo Ren's special or straight up killing their hand with Vader activations

At 11 health (Kylo Ren) and 13 health (Vader), that's a goodly amount of HP to chew through, although generating shields is just not something this deck really does? Or what I'm trying to do anyway, so it actually dies a little faster than I expected

I've mostly been playing against other new players, and almost universally against players who have similarly restricted card pools to pick from, but so far it's been sorta successful; the general reception I got from most people talking was a "tier list" of available characters ("Jango and Veers and Vader are really good, Rey and Luke are okay, Kylo Ren sucks," etc.) and a pretty high level of enthusiasm for the game, which is nice

Anyway I like Kylo Ren for the points and he slots next to Vader just fine, I'm not worried about "leaving" a point on the table - point restrictions mostly seem to exist less as a salary cap (something you would ideally like to meet exactly on every occasion to maximize value) and more as a limiter on what you can and can't play together in a more discrete way

I'd like to swap my Battlefield for an Emperor's Throne Room, and to get another Immobilize and possibly one or two copies of Force Choke, and probably one (but only one) Kylo Ren's Lightsaber, and then pitch some of the shittier events (Abandon All Hope, Mind Trick, Pulling The Strings) for more copies of No Mercy, Feel Your Anger - probably another Mind Probe? Definitely another Sith Holocron, that little fucker is amazing

With IBAT and Holocron early, you can start getting monstrously powerful in a very short timespan, rolling like five dice on eKylo while your opponent is still trying to bulk up; I like to throw upgrades on Kylo first to see where they'll head for attacking, because they logically can't leave Vader alone but by beefing up his grandkid you give them a devil's deal since Mr. Ben Solo started with 2 dice anyway; Use The Force, Immobilize and hypothetically Force Chokes can make Feel Your Anger crippling if left unchecked, but you can also elect to just drop it after a bad roll by your opponent or even just pitch it to reroll, I think it does work here; TPOTF is brutal if you get rolling, can essentially win games alone; there's a lot of die removal present, too, from Isolation to Force Throw to Deflect

Some cards are purely for yomi poo poo I guess, No Mercy works as a pretty effective coup de grace but I really wouldn't use it outside of that context, most of the time; I'm considering leaving just one copy in the deck, because it is still nice to hit it sometimes (here's 2 resources and a discarded hand for 7 incoming damage from just Darth Vader's die, rest in peace)

I'm hesitant to look at popular meta lists because I don't want to netdeck straight out of the gate - I feel like that would inhibit my understanding of the game, not help it, at least at this stage - but based purely on what I've talked about with dudes at the FLGS and with my brothers I think it's safe to say that mono-blue villainy control is An Archetype™ that exists and likely enjoys some success? A lot of this poo poo feels pretty strong

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 16, 2017

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Do Vader and Ren have anti-synergy? I assume that people will throw the most expensive card to Vader if they can't play it, weakening Ren's special die. Now of course, there can be benefits to this too, it may have been a card they wanted to keep, but just a thought.

I see you use two lightsabers: what are peoples' thoughts on lightsabers generally? I'm actually kinda skeptical: they're expensive as hell, and somewhat vulnerable to dice manipulation- more so than many weapons due to the + die face, and the other "normal melee" costs more cash on top of what you've already paid. I feel like I want a certain amount of reliability out of stuff that costs 3 and up.

Edit: Can you find room for intimidation? Shields can be big, big problems.

Helion fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 16, 2017

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

ShowTime posted:

That's different. Those acrylic tokens are available in tournament kits, which are only available to stores and are meant to be used for events. That's a little different than opening up boxes and selling singles. They are much, much rarer and FFG only sells them to stores with the intent to distribute them at events, not to sell them.

It's not obvious to me that the seller is a store, though. If someone won the thing at an event there's no real way of stopping them from ebaying it if they want.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Helion posted:

Do Vader and Ren have anti-synergy? I assume that people will throw the most expensive card to Vader if they can't play it, weakening Ren's special die. Now of course, there can be benefits to this too, it may have been a card they wanted to keep, but just a thought.

I see you use two lightsabers: what are peoples' thoughts on lightsabers generally? I'm actually kinda skeptical: they're expensive as hell, and somewhat vulnerable to dice manipulation- more so than many weapons due to the + die face, and the other "normal melee" costs more cash on top of what you've already paid. I feel like I want a certain amount of reliability out of stuff that costs 3 and up.

Vader/Kylo certainly seems awkward. Of course, you can always just choose not to use Vader's ability, but it feels like losing value. Vader seems really awkward to fit into lists, especially if you only have one die, which is too bad since he's so hard to get. I think eDooku eKylo or eVader Nightsister are what I'd try for mono-blue villain (though sadly I can't build either as I have only one die each for Vader and Dooku).

I'm also not convinced one color is all that reasonable with just one set, though. You gain so much from getting a character of another color in there and while blue loses the most by potentially losing its blue character it still seems like probably getting a trooper or grievous or something in there opens up a lot.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

guts and bolts posted:

• red is for weapon upgrades and shooty vehicles with a smattering of versatile or support-oriented heroes
  • yellow is for going mad aggro yo and setting up handshake decks, also the only hard mill hero is in here?
  • blue is for generally controlling the gently caress out of die, with some other traditional control elements in play too

Red is shooty, yeah, but it also has the most swarm mechanics. Hero Red seems like it's Magic's white color, with lots of damage healing. Lukas said that red will often get an extra non-unique character over the other colors in new sets. Yellow has some aggro elements, but it's also the color with the most control when it comes to removing dice, or rerolling them, but that's sometimes risky. It's hard not to think of blue as control since I come from Magic, but it feels like more of a mid-range color. Blue does have a lot of control in changing dice.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'm still waiting for Miniature Market to ship my preordered booster box :sigh:

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm still waiting for Miniature Market to ship my preordered booster box :sigh:

Same. There was a thread about it on the FFG Forums with some people saying they got shipping confirmations last week, but there were some delays because of snow and the holidays. I'm hoping my order will ship this week and not get pushed to the February wave.

EnjoiThePureTrip fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 16, 2017

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I've been seeing a lot of MM preorders who keep getting their shipping date pushed back. Which really pisses them off because MM is still opening boxes for singles.

I may sell off the bulk of my collection and just keep 1 deck, and then rebuy at a later date. Prices are so inflated right now because people are ravenous for product.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

ShowTime posted:

I've been seeing a lot of MM preorders who keep getting their shipping date pushed back. Which really pisses them off because MM is still opening boxes for singles.

I may sell off the bulk of my collection and just keep 1 deck, and then rebuy at a later date. Prices are so inflated right now because people are ravenous for product.

But won't you be kind of stuck without Awakenings content, then? I assumed FFG would stop producing Awakenings boosters once the new set comes out. Maybe not, though?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
There is still 1 more wave planned, but I can't imagine they ever stop producing it. Just like their other games, you can still get stuff for them. Netrunner, X-Wing, Armada, etc. All the initial releases are still made, just in smaller amounts. Maybe they go the route of MTG and stop producing it after a year or two, but that is still awhile from now. Even in the odd event that they do stop, there will still be singles and the market will stabilize as the people that are seeking it do find their product.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Yeah I have no idea how ccgs normally go. I'm used to L5R, where they cut off production almost immediately after initial release. They probably had much lower player counts than this game, though.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Ultiville posted:

Vader/Kylo certainly seems awkward. Of course, you can always just choose not to use Vader's ability, but it feels like losing value. Vader seems really awkward to fit into lists, especially if you only have one die, which is too bad since he's so hard to get. I think eDooku eKylo or eVader Nightsister are what I'd try for mono-blue villain (though sadly I can't build either as I have only one die each for Vader and Dooku).

I'm also not convinced one color is all that reasonable with just one set, though. You gain so much from getting a character of another color in there and while blue loses the most by potentially losing its blue character it still seems like probably getting a trooper or grievous or something in there opens up a lot.

One list I am liking Vader in so far is my Elite Jabba/ Vader deck. It's mill focused, and you are more or less guaranteed a minimum of 3 forced discards a turn, maybe more depending on your draw. 30 points exactly. Between Hunker Down and Immobilization you have a lot of defense to break through, and quite a few HP considering it's only two characters.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah I have no idea how ccgs normally go. I'm used to L5R, where they cut off production almost immediately after initial release. They probably had much lower player counts than this game, though.

Yea, typically a set is in production for like year, maybe more. Depends on popularity, but FFG would really hurt themselves if they just dropped production of Awakenings when SoR launches. The game is so new that Awakenings is going to be relevant for a long time.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I just wanna crack a box or two and put together something fun based on what's inside. But I can't find a box or two yet :(

They've got to keep reprinting awakenings for a while. The game is going to suffer if they dont

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Helion posted:

eKylo and Vader have surface-level competing interests but I feel like they create another devil's choice; if you're running expensive cards it's... probably because they're good? (Launch Bay?) so yeah you could kill them off to avoid Kylo damage when Vader activates, but that's still not great for you because now you can't use your cool expensive toy, and if you decide to risk it, Vader scraps something else from your hand and it increases the chances that Kylo will see the expensive thing that could hurt you; but also Kylo's ability just straight up lets me look at your hand and see what you've got, which to me is useful in and of itself, even if it's a 0/1/2 cost card - the damage he can deal is just icing

Lightsaber is good to me if you have IBAT because at that point, its cost is 2 and much more palatable; they power TPOTF as well which can't be understated, but I do want to get a Kylo Ren's Lightsaber in there to help shred shields, which you've pointed out as a problem; I have 2 copies of Intimidate, I think? I could definitely axe some of the more janky events to include them

That said I think what you've said is a valid point, and I would probably consider shuffling around my hero choices once I have a larger card pool to choose from; this setup has been pretty good to me, but also everyone is frantically grabbing what they can in product and are loathe to spend $30+ on good singles, so most local decks are poo poo

Ultiville posted:

Vader, to me, is insane, because his ability is independent of die rolls and he has a natural 13 base HP

I'm sure there are archetypes revolving around him, I'm just not sure it's going to be with eKylo

w/r/t the one color dilemma, I think blue is the only color you could really try to pull that off with, either hero or villain side, though like I said originally I think it's probably not going to go toe-to-toe with what people eventually cook up in BY or RY

BJPaskoff posted:

Red is shooty, yeah, but it also has the most swarm mechanics. Hero Red seems like it's Magic's white color, with lots of damage healing. Lukas said that red will often get an extra non-unique character over the other colors in new sets. Yellow has some aggro elements, but it's also the color with the most control when it comes to removing dice, or rerolling them, but that's sometimes risky. It's hard not to think of blue as control since I come from Magic, but it feels like more of a mid-range color. Blue does have a lot of control in changing dice.

this feels accurate, too, thank you

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Elblanco posted:

I've felt the same way since I started deck building. I have grievous and jango, and I'd like to use them together, but I don't feel that mixing ranged and melee is going to work all too well.

From what I can tell, there are only a few specific situations where the damage type really makes a difference, and having characters with different types isn't a handicap:

1. Resolving dice: nice to get all your damage dice resolved in one action, but this assumes that both of your characters have been activated and both actually rolled a similar type damage face. This does not even include supports. So far, if you're not resolving high value damage dice immediately, those dice are getting hit with something (removed, rerolled, changed to blank).

2. Modifiers: if your deck is heavy on damage modifier sides, then having similar damage types is helpful, but the variance is such that the two lining up in a single dice throw is rare. Usually you have to focus out of a modifier or focus to a damage face. The Hero deck can add the support Awakening if you're having trouble with modifiers.

3. Dodge/Block: having all the same type can be great if your opponent doesn't play either card, or plays only the opposite. However, it leaves you open to a huge pool wipe if your opponent has been hanging onto the correct card in their hand, waiting for a good roll on your part.

4. Specific support cards: obviously Supporting Fire is much better if both your characters and your upgrades and other support are using all ranged damage, but I think it is still playable if at least half your dice have ranged damage faces since you can only use the support once per round.

Overall I think there are much more important factors to consider when choosing characters than the damage types they create, especially since you'll be adding far more dice from upgrades and supports, and can tailor your other supports and events from there.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Helion posted:

One list I am liking Vader in so far is my Elite Jabba/ Vader deck. It's mill focused, and you are more or less guaranteed a minimum of 3 forced discards a turn, maybe more depending on your draw. 30 points exactly. Between Hunker Down and Immobilization you have a lot of defense to break through, and quite a few HP considering it's only two characters.

Haha, right after making that post I was digging through and doing some brewing and built a deck with those two as well. It does seem good at grinding. I didn't make it as mill focused as my Padme control deck but it is certainly nice to have the inevitability. I think ultimately it's going to be non-great against the Jango lists because it's got so much dice control that's disadvantaged against Jango compared to my hero control deck which has a lot more shields (and of course Second Chance), but it's probably better against Luke/Ackbar so there's that. Certainly it's neat, Jabba is a great support character for someone with powerful dice like Vader, and you get a lot of discard and resource denial. I agree it's a combo with some good potential.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Benthalus posted:

From what I can tell, there are only a few specific situations where the damage type really makes a difference, and having characters with different types isn't a handicap:

1. Resolving dice: nice to get all your damage dice resolved in one action, but this assumes that both of your characters have been activated and both actually rolled a similar type damage face. This does not even include supports. So far, if you're not resolving high value damage dice immediately, those dice are getting hit with something (removed, rerolled, changed to blank).

2. Modifiers: if your deck is heavy on damage modifier sides, then having similar damage types is helpful, but the variance is such that the two lining up in a single dice throw is rare. Usually you have to focus out of a modifier or focus to a damage face. The Hero deck can add the support Awakening if you're having trouble with modifiers.

3. Dodge/Block: having all the same type can be great if your opponent doesn't play either card, or plays only the opposite. However, it leaves you open to a huge pool wipe if your opponent has been hanging onto the correct card in their hand, waiting for a good roll on your part.

4. Specific support cards: obviously Supporting Fire is much better if both your characters and your upgrades and other support are using all ranged damage, but I think it is still playable if at least half your dice have ranged damage faces since you can only use the support once per round.

Overall I think there are much more important factors to consider when choosing characters than the damage types they create, especially since you'll be adding far more dice from upgrades and supports, and can tailor your other supports and events from there.

I think this is generally right, but for a Jango deck specifically mixing damage is annoying, since the power of the deck is based on resolving a truckload of dice in one action.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Ultiville posted:

I think this is generally right, but for a Jango deck specifically mixing damage is annoying, since the power of the deck is based on resolving a truckload of dice in one action.

Agreed, but from what I've experienced playing my Vader/Jango deck casually is that Jango is the first character or support to be activated on your side most rounds. It is very often irrelevant what your other character or supports are rolling, since you're probably going to be resolving only his character and upgrade dice.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Guts and Bolts: It might sound like overkill but I would put in both intimidates. Decks that really use shields (as opposed to incidentally using them when they happen to show up) are just murder to get through, and when the stars and dice align for a huge Vader lightsaber swing you gotta make it count. It also helps you tear through Hunker Down, a pain in the rear end card if ever I've seen one.

Helion fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 16, 2017

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

guts and bolts posted:

eKylo and Vader have surface-level competing interests but I feel like they create another devil's choice; if you're running expensive cards it's... probably because they're good? (Launch Bay?) so yeah you could kill them off to avoid Kylo damage when Vader activates, but that's still not great for you because now you can't use your cool expensive toy, and if you decide to risk it, Vader scraps something else from your hand and it increases the chances that Kylo will see the expensive thing that could hurt you; but also Kylo's ability just straight up lets me look at your hand and see what you've got, which to me is useful in and of itself, even if it's a 0/1/2 cost card - the damage he can deal is just icing

Sure, I'd only characterize it as a minor conflict, it's not crippling or anything. That said, if I'm going to play something like Launch Bay against a Kylo deck, I'm not going to be planning to hold it in hand between turns to build up. Either I'm dropping it immediately because I've banked in case of drawing it, or I'm wanting to ditch it to avoid having it burn me. The only case where Vader is going to cause me a dilemma is if I need to resolve some resource dice to play it or Smuggle a bit or otherwise use some actions, and in those cases you'd be better served by just rolling Kylo and resolving any specials you roll before even rolling Vader just because it minimizes the actions I have to clear the thing one way or another. (And of course you don't know if I've drawn it this turn either way). I only did a dozen or so games with my Vader/Kylo deck so not a huge sample, but several were against a deck with multiple 5's, usually with me piloting the non-Vader deck, and I found that the interaction was almost always neutral or helpful for me as the opponent. Again, I don't think it makes it unplayably bad or anything, but I do think one could do better assuming access to all the cards. It's not crippling in a "I want to make mono-blue and this is the character spread I have" sense.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Benthalus posted:

Agreed, but from what I've experienced playing my Vader/Jango deck casually is that Jango is the first character or support to be activated on your side most rounds. It is very often irrelevant what your other character or supports are rolling, since you're probably going to be resolving only his character and upgrade dice.

Interesting, I find the Jango play pattern I most often use is activating the other character very early in the round in the hopes of getting to do it all at once.

In any case though, it's certainly more important for upgrades than characters in that deck (or in general) since you'll rapidly have more upgrade dice than especially non-epic character dice. So I'd say something like Greivous eJango is probably fine, since Grevious himself has melee dice, but the red guns are great on Jango.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
So brainstorming:

How do you solve a problem like eJango? How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?

Jango plus a first turn jetpack is just murder, and perfectly plausible. His ability flies in the face of dice manipulation. Shields can probably match or at least slow his damage for mill decks, but how can shooty or fighty decks compete?

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Helion posted:

So brainstorming:

How do you solve a problem like eJango? How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?

Jango plus a first turn jetpack is just murder, and perfectly plausible. His ability flies in the face of dice manipulation. Shields can probably match or at least slow his damage for mill decks, but how can shooty or fighty decks compete?

One good way is to force him not to use his ability, or make it awkward for him not to.

Best way to do this is through dice supports, since activating a support doesn't trigger his ability. I've got a Falcon and a Launch Bay in my control deck and they are great against Jango decks, but you can also do something similar with durdle activations like Take Cover, Underworld Connections, etc., though there it's harder to make sure you actually benefit from nothing happening.

Other than hoping he rolls badly, that's been my plan. But even with a Jetpack, he can roll badly, and putting pressure on him often works too. If your activation that triggers him is just brutal enough that they have to deal with it rather than resolving his dice, you benefit a lot, and a lot of those decks don't have a ton of great defense options.

Anyway that's what I've found. Which is not to say he isn't great and scary, of course.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Helion posted:

Guts and Bolts: It might sound like overkill but I would put in both intimidates. Decks that really use shields (as opposed to incidentally using them when they happen to show up) are just murder to get through, and when the stars and dice align for a huge Vader lightsaber swing you gotta make it count. It also helps you tear through Hunker Down, a pain in the rear end card if ever I've seen one.

Intimidate is a fantastic card and I'd run 2 in any blue villain deck.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Ultiville posted:

One good way is to force him not to use his ability, or make it awkward for him not to.

Best way to do this is through dice supports, since activating a support doesn't trigger his ability. I've got a Falcon and a Launch Bay in my control deck and they are great against Jango decks, but you can also do something similar with durdle activations like Take Cover, Underworld Connections, etc., though there it's harder to make sure you actually benefit from nothing happening.

Other than hoping he rolls badly, that's been my plan. But even with a Jetpack, he can roll badly, and putting pressure on him often works too. If your activation that triggers him is just brutal enough that they have to deal with it rather than resolving his dice, you benefit a lot, and a lot of those decks don't have a ton of great defense options.

Anyway that's what I've found. Which is not to say he isn't great and scary, of course.

The durdle activations thing assumes that he doesn't likewise have stuff to do with his time, which may be so, but it seems a tough thing to rely on. After all, Jango's partners can activate all they want, but you can't activate anyone in response....

As far as luck goes, eJango has a 2/3 chance of getting that base ranged damage he needs, plus whatever his partner(s) rolled of course, assuming they have done so. Add a 1/3 chance for Jetback to give him a big +2 or +3 (!!!) . So, factoring in that another dude may or may not have given him an added shot at a ranged face, he has a somewhat lower than 1/3 chance to nuke someone in the face turn one. Not great odds, but better than most potential alpha strikes. I wonder if Disarm isn't worth it just for jetpack denial. Even Jedi pack lightsabers (edit: and holocrons!), the only deck I see it as a dead card against is the Padme Mill.

Helion fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 16, 2017

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Helion posted:

The durdle activations thing assumes that he doesn't likewise have stuff to do with his time, which may be so, but it seems a tough thing to rely on. After all, Jango's partners can activate all they want, but you can't activate anyone in response....

As far as luck goes, eJango has a 2/3 chance of getting that base ranged damage he needs, plus whatever his partner(s) rolled of course, assuming they have done so. Add a 1/3 chance for Jetback to give him a big +2 or +3 (!!!) . So, factoring in that another dude may or may not have given him an added shot at a ranged face, he has a somewhat lower than 1/3 chance to nuke someone in the face turn one. Not great odds, but better than most potential alpha strikes. I wonder if Disarm isn't worth it just for jetpack denial. Even Jedi pack lightsabers (edit: and holocrons!), the only deck I see it as a dead card against is the Padme Mill.

If you're going to benefit from durdle activations your deck needs to be built on it, yep. That's why even minor support dice are so good, they give you something to do at the time, and in my experience tend to over perform for just being one die since the Jango decks often lack a whole lot of ability to control the opponent's dice. But it's not a silver bullet of course, just a useful thing to think about.

As for Disarm, every time I think about making a yellow deck it ends up in my consideration pile, but my feeling for now is that they've done the common starting-out-CCG thing and really underpowered removal like that. A whole lot has to go right to make it playable, and even then you need to spend a resource you'd need to use to set up and you have to give up on some damage that could contribute to just killing Jango which, unless you're the mill deck, you need to do eventually anyway. It'd be one thing if it were narrow but a blowout when it works, like Intimidate or Feel Your Anger, but its not even that powerful when it does work - spending a card, a resource, and a 2+ damage die to get rid of an opponent's two cost card isn't exciting, and against Jango it's very likely they already got to use the card, since unless you're getting the damage off a support, turning on Disarm by definition triggered Jango.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Ultiville posted:

If you're going to benefit from durdle activations your deck needs to be built on it, yep. That's why even minor support dice are so good, they give you something to do at the time, and in my experience tend to over perform for just being one die since the Jango decks often lack a whole lot of ability to control the opponent's dice. But it's not a silver bullet of course, just a useful thing to think about.

As for Disarm, every time I think about making a yellow deck it ends up in my consideration pile, but my feeling for now is that they've done the common starting-out-CCG thing and really underpowered removal like that. A whole lot has to go right to make it playable, and even then you need to spend a resource you'd need to use to set up and you have to give up on some damage that could contribute to just killing Jango which, unless you're the mill deck, you need to do eventually anyway. It'd be one thing if it were narrow but a blowout when it works, like Intimidate or Feel Your Anger, but its not even that powerful when it does work - spending a card, a resource, and a 2+ damage die to get rid of an opponent's two cost card isn't exciting, and against Jango it's very likely they already got to use the card, since unless you're getting the damage off a support, turning on Disarm by definition triggered Jango.

Yes, upon further reflection I think you're right. I might try a singleton just to see if practice maps out differently, but yeah, it isn't great removal. But eh, I respect how they're handling removal and resource generation conservatively, you know?

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Helion posted:

Yes, upon further reflection I think you're right. I might try a singleton just to see if practice maps out differently, but yeah, it isn't great removal. But eh, I respect how they're handling removal and resource generation conservatively, you know?

You can certainly always power things up, but I do think if they want it to be playable they need to, and that at least plausible removal is probably important in the long term.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Anyone have an opinion on this deck? It did pretty well before in a less refined fashion.

It's limited by what I own, so hence only one Force Throw.

CHARACTER
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
3x First Order Stormtrooper (Awakenings #2)
1x Nightsister (Awakenings #12)

BATTLEFIELD
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Imperial Armory, Death Star (Awakenings #169)

UPGRADE
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
2x F-11D Rifle (Awakenings #8)
2x Sith Holocron (Awakenings #16)
2x IQA-11 Blaster Rifle (Awakenings #55)
2x Promotion (Awakenings #56)
1x Force Throw (Awakenings #57)
2x Mind Probe (Awakenings #60)
2x Comlink (Awakenings #61)
2x Datapad (Awakenings #62)
2x Holdout Blaster (Awakenings #63)

SUPPORT
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
2x Power of the Dark Side (Awakenings #89)
2x Supporting Fire (Awakenings #144)

EVENT
¯¯¯¯¯
1x Endless Ranks (Awakenings #70)
2x Tactical Mastery (Awakenings #74)
2x Intimidate (Awakenings #84)
2x Nowhere to Run (Awakenings #91)
2x Squad Tactics (Awakenings #143)

Basically it's just simple, unrefined action economy and burst damage.

I'm not sure I have enough blue abilities to justify the Holocrons, though?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 17, 2017

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
If I get attacked by three identical mooks and a blue wizard elf, I kill the elf first. So that makes me concerned about heavily investing her with powers. Maybe you cut out the powers and replace them with useful non "spot-blue" stuff, like I feel your hatred or the like? I dunno, just a thought.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Helion posted:

If I get attacked by three identical mooks and a blue wizard elf, I kill the elf first. So that makes me concerned about heavily investing her with powers. Maybe you cut out the powers and replace them with useful non "spot-blue" stuff, like I feel your hatred or the like? I dunno, just a thought.

Also, I don't know about if I'll have space for them, but the Holocrons would allow me to put the blue powers on red characters.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Hmmm, that does change things.... But as you noted, it sounds like something to either pursue strongly or not at all, yeah.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?
Is there a reason you're running one nightsister instead of two?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

stoko posted:

Is there a reason you're running one nightsister instead of two?

A) I have 1. Edit: I have 2 apparently
B) I dunno, hadn't thought about it. Why 2 vs 1?
C) The troopers roll more blanks and more consistent range damage. It was originally concieved as a burst deck.

But you have my attention. Sell me on the second one.

I'd probably swap the battlefield for Emperor's Throne Room in that case.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 18, 2017

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Deviant posted:

A) I have 1. Edit: I have 2 apparently
B) I dunno, hadn't thought about it. Why 2 vs 1?
C) The troopers roll more blanks and more consistent range damage. It was originally concieved as a burst deck.

But you have my attention. Sell me on the second one.

I'd probably swap the battlefield for Emperor's Throne Room in that case.

The ability is good but also a lot of the good blue stuff requires you to have a blue character alive to work. It makes it way less clear that the opponent should just shoot the nightsister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Went to an event tonight at the $20 starter set store I was complaining about. I went because the EV was good, my dudes.

Guy said he was putting up an OP kit, 2 starters to the winner, and 4 more starters in a random raffle. 8 people showed up. :laugh:

I brought all the fury that 2 starter boxes and 12 booster packs could muster, building a villain deck with literally all the possible dice I could bring.
Grievous/Kylo/Stormtrooper.
I got rolled in my fist game vs eJango and 2 troopers. Grievous literally never did damage, and I was able to kill Jango before the guy's two undamaged Stormtroopers cleaned up my last dude.
Second game was Qui Gon and Rey. Qui Gon is gnarly, and these two just dunked on me until I was completely shut out, one damage away from killing Rey and with Qui Gon at full health (and shields, of course). Dude commented that I didn't have very many dice in my deck, and suggested I add more. I told him that he was looking at all the dice I own that could legally be included. Oh.
Third game was against the only other 0-2, a dragged-along girlfriend with a borrowed eKylo/2x Nightsister deck. This was her 6th game ever, and she's never played a CCG before. We went to time, and I managed to kill Kylo Ren and a Nightsister while losing just my Stormtrooper (with a ton of damage on my own Kylo). To the tiebreaker, we both had 17 damage done. Second tiebreaker, I had 5 more cards in my draw deck so I actually logged a win :toot:
Left with a TIE fighter promo card, and won a raffle for a Kylo Ren starter set. Good deal for a $5 entry fee.

Those 3 games were also the least fun Destiny games I've ever played. Turns out when your deck is greatly outmatched by people who have been able to buy product, it's not as much fun to play them. It probably wasn't much fun for the first two dudes to wail on me either.

I'm hesitant to buy any singles on the secondary market right now, because the singles prices really feel inflated due to the lack of available sealed boosters.