Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Slow_Moe posted:

Maybe I'm just being sceptic, but I very much doubt that will happen.

Me either. They'd have to build some kind of game first, and by the time they're done there won't be any consoles left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

quote:

SQ42 on console. Blackmailing your backers 101
As soon as news broke about the Lumberyard engine switch, I knew this was going to happen. Which is pretty much why I mentioned it as one of the bullet points my Irreconcilable Differences blog.

http://www.dereksmart.com/2016/12/star-citizen-irreconcilable-differences/

It just makes sense from a financial perspective.

The most hilarious thing is that they won't dare try to put Star Citizen on consoles, like Frontier did with Elite Dangerous because it's an un-optimized mess. Plus backer whales will completely revolt. Remember the "I am a PC game" spiel from 2012? Or how Chris Roberts proclaimed that he was "Going to save PC gaming"? No? Here it is again:

https://youtu.be/w7FUx6JHuMk

But with SQ42, given his recent statements (which you can read below) in the media about using it to fund SC if funding stopped, I think he is basically blackmailing backers now. See, if backers stop putting money into the SC furnace, then Chris will have to use SQ42 to fund it. Just like he said. Hence a console version seeing as most of the people who would have bought SQ42, have already PRE-PAID for it. So the growth path, especially for a space game with a completely disastrous and tarnished rep, is severely limited.

It's a loving genius plan if you ask me.

http://dereksmart.com/forums/topic/star-citizen-musings/#post-5198

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 16, 2017

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I can't wait to buy SQ42 Prelude on PSN when it hits 80% off.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Slow_Moe posted:

To quote : An Ouroboros of bad desing decision and Greed.

Nearly everyone with an interest in SQ42 is already entitled to it but the money they paid for is already long gone, spent on vacation and unusable mocap data.

They must peddle the thing to some new cash, but where to find it ?

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 16, 2017

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Slow_Moe posted:

I think it's really believable.

Where is their market for SQ42? On PC? Everyone who's interested in this dumbass game on PC has already bought it. They desperately need a cash injection with the SQ42 release and they know they're going to sell next to zero copies on PC.

They've spent 5 years cannibalising their own PC market and now they've realised why this is a dumb thing to do.

A console release is pretty much their only option if they want to make any additional money from SQ42. The problem is, who the gently caress would buy it for console?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

aleksendr posted:

As for the "Elite players are Carebear and had to have a solo mode". This was what was pitched back in the original funding rounds. The concept for E:D was just that:An up to date version of Elite, a solo game. It grew into a Hybrid MMO but Frontier got a lot of flack for it from some backers, thus the compromise of "solo play" was born.

That is true, but being able to swap between solo mode and open mode is kind of bullshit. It very much reminds me of server hopping in DayZ.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

EminusSleepus posted:

No one has mentioned yet that Croberts wanted that an NPC will treat your character like a hobo if you character did not take a bath because he wants to justify the showers in the ship. And you should have manners when talking to an NPC by that you should not look away if the npc is talking because they have feelings.

I can't wait to play this life simulator in space: pander to people feelings in space, wash all my private parts in space, remember my wife's birthday in space, pay my taxes in space... the possibilities are endless.

I hope CR fleshes out traffic control soon. The possibility of being stuck in space traffic jam for hours is very exciting.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I'm not saying CIG wouldn't love to get their hands on that sweet console money but what are the odds they can release a successful game that fulfills the stability requirements of consoles when they can't make a loving patcher that doesn't download dozens of gigabytes ever time Croberts changes one pixel to green?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Chalks posted:

Where is their market for SQ42? On PC? Everyone who's interested in this dumbass game on PC has already bought it. They desperately need a cash injection with the SQ42 release and they know they're going to sell next to zero copies on PC.

They've spent 5 years cannibalising their own PC market and now they've realised why this is a dumb thing to do.

A console release is pretty much their only option if they want to make any additional money from SQ42. The problem is, who the gently caress would buy it for console?

Sometimes I get very drunk and impulse buy stuff on PSN that's under $10 after a huge price cut

So it's me, I'm the guy who will buy it

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Excuse me if I don't take your word on what is and isn't funny.

Either way keep posting because either you're a legit backer and I can keep laughing at you, or you're a troll and you will either do something cool or funny and we can all have a chuckle, or you will fizzle out into a wet fart and be perfectly appropriate for this thread about Star Citizen and Derek Smart's legal actions.

Just, you know, your username....

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

I'm not saying CIG wouldn't love to get their hands on that sweet console money but what are the odds they can release a successful game that fulfills the stability requirements of consoles when they can't make a loving patcher that doesn't download dozens of gigabytes ever time Croberts changes one pixel to green?

Yeah but what are the chances that they can release an unsuccessful game that poo poo itself all over the consoles after wasting 18 months trying to port it?

skaboomizzy posted:

Sometimes I get very drunk and impulse buy stuff on PSN that's under $10 after a huge price cut

So it's me, I'm the guy who will buy it

As if Chris Roberts would sell his masterpiece for less than $50. gently caress you're lucky it's not $500

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

JugbandDude posted:

I can't wait to play this life simulator in space: pander to people feelings in space, wash all my private parts in space, remember my wife's birthday in space, pay my taxes in space... the possibilities are endless.

In space no one can hear you doxx. Just sayin'.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

aleksendr posted:

To quote : An Ouroboros of bad desing decision and Greed.

Nearly everyone with an interest in SQ42 is already entitled to it but the money they paid for is already long gone, spent on vacation and unusable mocap data.

They must peddle the thing to some new cash, but where to find it ?

Well, You're not wrong, but have you considered that to launch on consoles you need an actual legit working product, and not just ~dreams~?

SQ42 is as likely on consoles as it is on PC.

Also, I used the word legit.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Slow_Moe posted:

at least one other person besides Microsoft Word who wants me to write sceptic instead of skeptic

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Eldragon posted:

That is true, but being able to swap between solo mode and open mode is kind of bullshit. It very much reminds me of server hopping in DayZ.

It may not be fun for those wanting live or PvP interactions, but some players sometime just want to chill back, see the stars and pew-pew at some poor helpless Ai pirates. The game model does not require a minimum viable population like most mmo for participating in some content, so why not have both kind of players enjoy the game ? You can play Mal Reynolds on the frontier if you want to or go all Diamond Frogs and mess up other players for fun. Being able to pick either make for a better game in my opinion.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They need to be able to sell the poo poo into the console market because they honestly believe that if they stop getting money from jpg sales that SQ42 will be big enough to finance the rest of SC by itself. Thats how loving deluded they are.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Chalks posted:

Yeah but what are the chances that they can release an unsuccessful game that poo poo itself all over the consoles after wasting 18 months trying to port it?

«Evil publishers tricked CIG into spending 18 months porting the game to console and now won't accept/pay for the final product.» :qq:

Yeah, that could work as an excuse for why they went down I guess.

It would be pretty funny if Microsoft actually did pull an Illfonic on CIG. «gently caress you Chris, this is for Freelancer!» :commissar:

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

JugbandDude posted:

I hope CR fleshes out traffic control soon. The possibility of being stuck in space traffic jam for hours is very exciting.

One more. Ridiculous mechanic is that your ship replacement time will vary because they need to simulate the materials and if your autism chariot is made up of special rare autistic metals then tough luck you will need to wait longer.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Natron posted:

Me either. They'd have to build some kind of game first, and by the time they're done there won't be any consoles left.

Wrong. Have you ever heard of Xbox Game Preview? The equivalent of PC early access? No? look it up and see the number of games (including Elite Dangerous, Everspace etc) which launched there.

MeLKoR posted:

Amazon Lumberyard

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 16, 2017

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They need to be able to sell the poo poo into the console market because they honestly believe that if they stop getting money from jpg sales that SQ42 will be big enough to finance the rest of SC by itself. Thats how loving deluded they are.

Nobody who doesn't own a PC is going to buy Squadron loving 42. Most people who pledged for SC aren't even interested in the loving thing.

God I hope they devote all of their resources to porting it. loving do it Chris. DO IT FOR THE DREAM

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Slow_Moe posted:

Well, You're not wrong, but have you considered that to launch on consoles you need an actual legit working product, and not just ~dreams~?

Also, I used the word legit.

Thats why i want them to do it.

Finally release something that can be judged on its on merit, no pre-al;pha, work-in-progress, it-will-get-better, just-wait-for-the-jesus-patch they have been using to hide behind for 3 years.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chalks posted:

Yeah, since they've now confirmed they're planning on using SQ42 cash to fuel their money furnace they've pretty much confirmed SQ42 will launch on consoles. I don't really get why they feel they need to though, if I were them I'd have felt pretty confident the backers will never stop falling for my promises-for-cash-scheme by now

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Yeah, since they've now confirmed they're planning on using SQ42 cash to fuel their money furnace they've pretty much confirmed SQ42 will launch on consoles. I don't really get why they feel they need to though, if I were them I'd have felt pretty confident the backers will never stop falling for my promises-for-cash-scheme by now

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Slow_Moe posted:

CIG can release whatever piece of poo poo MVP they want on the PC and there is nothing the whales can do, not so in the consoles. Someone in a publisher is going to have to put his name in the delivery voucher. I doubt they'd be tricked with another Pupil to Planet movie.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

aleksendr posted:

Thats why i want them to do it.

Finally release something that can be judged on its on merit, no pre-al;pha, work-in-progress, it-will-get-better, just-wait-for-the-jesus-patch they have been using to hide behind for 3 years.

Oh I'd love that too, it would be a slapstick comedy of errors.

But more likely, they're going to announce a console version, and probably follow it up with some pre order bullshit or other wonderful opportunity to give CIG more money. And that'll be the end of it. And the whales will shove more money into the garbage fire.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

CIG can release whatever piece of poo poo MVP they want on the PC and there is nothing the whales can do, not so in the consoles. Someone in a publisher is going to have to put his name in the delivery voucher. I doubt they'd be tricked with another Pupil to Planet movie.

The likelihood of a release is still zero. On all platforms.

:thejoke:

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Cao Ni Ma posted:

How is that a delusion? Its been demonstrably the case that the game is wildly popular and has over a million passionate high spending fans. Spreading to a more casual gamer market can only be a good thing. Some of the PC master race people will need to chill out and realize it isn't 2006 anymore, you don't have to compromise higher end fidelity.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

See this is what I mean by being threatened by Star Citizen.

You literally couldn't help yourself on adding that last line. Like its just this constant insecure reassurance to yourself.

You shouldn't drink a glass of your own piss each morning. I know you saw that it is healthy on the internet but it is not, piss is waste filtered by our body and meant to be ejected, not drunk again.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Slow_Moe posted:

The likelihood of a release is still zero. On all platforms.

:thejoke:

I understood :thejoke:, I'm :goonsay: it's a flawed joke because on PC CIG has no publisher to answer to.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

What is funny about it? If everyone does it enough it becomes a "joke"?

Its a nervous laugh at best trying to pass off fear.

TIL it's possible to be scared of a non-existent video game... actually no, it's not, that would be retarded.

Mu77ley fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 16, 2017

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I think they want to turn it into cash because, as of now, SQ42 is a huge stone arond the neck of one (or many ?) corporate entity that compose this mess. Pre orders goes into the "Debit" side of the books, meaning that as long as CIG does not deliver SQ42, it carry a "loss" of "#Backers*(35 $or 45$, depending off the time of the purchase) so roughly 20M$ in the red. This is a huge dealbreaker for any serious investors and since Chris seem to spend about 5-7 years in each studio he joined so far , by history we are coming close to the time its time to pick up tent and go on to the next project.

Maybe they are looking for someone to hold the crapbag while the inner circle leave like EA and Msoft did for him before. No one aside a clueless Chinese dev or an Arabian prince is going to buy it with 20M$ of pre-order on an 10% complete product and no certain revenue stream.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I'm having pizza for lunch**

**Not really I'm skipping lunch today

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA am I doing the standing joke right?

Stop trolling Dr. Smart because he hates pizza. It's a suitable thread here. To each their own, noone troll you because of your morning drinking habit.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Zzr posted:

You shouldn't drink a glass of your own piss each morning. I know you saw that it is healthy on the internet but it is not, piss is waste filtered by our body and meant to be ejected, not drunk again.

When you were stewing and started to think this would be a good Own/thing to post (I refuse to think low enough of someone that they would think this is funny), did you hatebang it out all at once or did you measure it out in a grudge match that was interrupted by sobbing?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

Effectively nil.

Zzr posted:

Yes, but what if you like it? Checkmate goonie.

Edit:

TrustmeImLegit posted:

When you were stewing and started to think this would be a good Own/thing to post (I refuse to think low enough of someone that they would think this is funny), did you hatebang it out all at once or did you measure it out in a grudge match that was interrupted by sobbing?

I'm beginning to trust you a little more, but the legit question is still on the table.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 16, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

The platform holders are not the publisher; unless it's a 1st party title. So anyone who puts a game on the console, is the publisher. In this case, it would be CIG/RSI; not the platform holder (Sony|Microsoft).

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Slow_Moe posted:

taxxe:

It wont stop them from spending millions on trying to make it happen then hand wave it away.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

TrustmeImLegit posted:

How is that a delusion? Its been demonstrably the case that the game is wildly popular and has over a million passionate high spending fans. Spreading to a more casual gamer market can only be a good thing. Some of the PC master race people will need to chill out and realize it isn't 2006 anymore, you don't have to compromise higher end fidelity.

shaved ur nuts yet?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

This graphic might be misleading. The funding by user is receeding, but the number of users is a lot bigger than before. Funding seem to be at equilibrium at roughly 30M$ a year and the refunds, while good news for a few, are not putting a dent into the whales willingness to spend and growing sunk cost fallacy.

This should be looked at like a church operation and not a regular company. Its the new church of videogames, where you donate on faith principle for hope of a perfect game.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

MeLKoR posted:

This isn't how game development works at all. Maybe educate yourself on how games are made before self righteously posting.

I mean Jesus Christ even this clown schooled you

D_Smart posted:

The platform holders are not the publisher; unless it's a 1st party title. So anyone who puts a game on the console, is the publisher. In this case, it would be CIG/RSI; not the platform holder (Sony|Microsoft).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

aleksendr posted:

This graphic might be misleading. The funding by user is receeding, but the number of users is a lot bigger than before. Funding seem to be at equilibrium at roughly 30M$ a year and the refunds, while good news for a few, are not putting a dent into the whales willingness to spend and growing sunk cost fallacy.

This shoudl be looked at like a church operation and not a regular company. Its the new church of videogames, where you donate on faith principle for hope of a perfect game.

$30MM a year is how much across 300?

Yuhuh.

What's the ground rent, operating costs...

That's the 'nostrils above water' comment.

And yes. The drop in funding for megachurches isn't because everyone caught a clue, they just broadened their definition of faith-based donations to an ideal.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

This isn't how game development works at all. Maybe educate yourself on how games are made before self righteously posting.

Nope, lost me again; that was really low effort.

edit: taxxe