Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Febreeze posted:

It's also nice when the Giants, Eagles, and Skins fans can come together and agree on something

something like haha gently caress the Cowboys the Jaguars have won more playoff games than you have in the last decade

:smith:

The only thing I have to cling to in these trying times is that I have more balls than lord waffle beard because I'm still posting after my team is out this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Febreeze posted:

It's also nice when the Giants, Eagles, and Skins fans can come together and agree on something

something like haha gently caress the Cowboys the Jaguars have won more playoff games than you have in the last decade

I disagree.

It's two decades.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was gonna say something about winning more against the division, but if I only go back 20 years the only team we're consistently whooping up on is the redskins.

Historically, though, the NFCE has collectively been Dallas' division.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I am glad that we finally bonded together and dropped the facade of caring about division solidarity.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

corn on the cop posted:

I am glad that we finally bonded together and dropped the facade of caring about division solidarity.

We're all losers this year.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was gonna say something about winning more against the division, but if I only go back 20 years the only team we're consistently whooping up on is the redskins.

jesus who cares. We won the division this year and had a great year. Of course fans of the rest of the division are gonna bring up the past because that's all they've got right now. Oh no the Jaguars won some playoff games back when they were good and we were trash! Guess our franchise is garbage! Oh look this team won some super bowls before some of us were born! Your team never won a Super Bowl! Guess you should put a bag over your head! I don't know how you guys do this poo poo over and over and over every week.

Literally all four of these teams played better than any of their fans had any right to expect this year. All four. Even Giants fans with their bravado didn't foresee the team going 11-5 with a shot at 12-4 and the 1-seed this year. Washington fans weren't sure they had the QB of the future in Cousins. Cowboys fans thought the season was over when Romo went down. Eagles fans figured the whole thing was a lost cause and had no reason to believe Wentz was the guy. Now here we are and all four teams are flawed, but all four teams have potentially bright futures (though obviously that future extends a shorter distance out for the Giants). The NFC East is actually the best division in football, and that's pretty cool, even if the non-Cowboys teams are terrible and their fans are human trash. What matters now is that we can collectively root for the Falcons because oh my god gently caress these three other teams

The only time I was legit upset last night watching the game was when Aikman brought up Green Bay as a "team that has suffered through a lot of heartbreak over the past few years" like winning only one super bowl and making the playoffs is a real loving travesty

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

jesus who cares. We won the division this year and had a great year. Of course fans of the rest of the division are gonna bring up the past because that's all they've got right now. Oh no the Jaguars won some playoff games back when they were good and we were trash! Guess our franchise is garbage! Oh look this team won some super bowls before some of us were born! Your team never won a Super Bowl! Guess you should put a bag over your head! I don't know how you guys do this poo poo over and over and over every week.

Literally all four of these teams played better than any of their fans had any right to expect this year. All four. Even Giants fans with their bravado didn't foresee the team going 11-5 with a shot at 12-4 and the 1-seed this year. Washington fans weren't sure they had the QB of the future in Cousins. Cowboys fans thought the season was over when Romo went down. Eagles fans figured the whole thing was a lost cause and had no reason to believe Wentz was the guy. Now here we are and all four teams are flawed, but all four teams have potentially bright futures (though obviously that future extends a shorter distance out for the Giants). The NFC East is actually the best division in football, and that's pretty cool, even if the non-Cowboys teams are terrible and their fans are human trash. What matters now is that we can collectively root for the Falcons because oh my god gently caress these three other teams

This is beautiful.

NFC East solidarity :glomp:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TheChirurgeon posted:

Well said.

TheChirurgeon posted:

The only time I was legit upset last night watching the game was when Aikman brought up Green Bay as a "team that has suffered through a lot of heartbreak over the past few years" like winning only one super bowl and making the playoffs is a real loving travesty

I was upset with Garret not going for the FCK at the end of the half. If he didn't think Bailey had the leg for it send out the punter just never walk away when you have an uncontested shot at points. Bailey can put kickoffs in the back of the end zone and he had a few yards extra here. Even if he missed there wasn't going to be a return.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Nice meltdown

For serious though you are right. Team history means gently caress all if you aren't doing well now. I'm pissed that Dallas found another franchise QB the year we did too. But hopefully it will be a great rivalry between the two of them

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheChirurgeon posted:

gently caress the Cowboys lol

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

TheChirurgeon posted:

Even Giants fans with their bravado didn't foresee the team going 11-5 with a shot at 12-4 and the 1-seed this year.

Where did you meet these Giants fans with Bravado, the fanbase was mostly pessimistic. We fired the one guy who wasn't the problem, kept Spags who none of us trusted, grossly overpaid for seen to be mediocre free agents, paid for by a GM that we'd all lost trust in who also took an expected bust #10 overall, promoted a guy who couldn't wear a fitting suit and was only an OC for two seasons, and had a preseason marred by a scandal on the loving kicker of all people.

Your point about performing better stands, but the fanbase was not filled with bravado this offseason, I think most of us expected mediocrity at best. During the year it took us a while to fully trust that the defense was actually good and then we spent the rest of the time trying to understand why the offense was so bad.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

TheChirurgeon posted:

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/821058300020215808

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Someone post the Cowboys suck a million dicks plaque I can't find it

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

but let's talk about the future

https://twitter.com/BrandonGowton/status/820799297880997889?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I hope Tony Romo flies free and wins a Super Bowl over an NFCe team.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
No Giants fans had any bravado after the last few years.

I maybe expected 8-9 wins out of them. The reports out of training camp were significantly more positive than usual, and they were a 6-win team with a porous defense and two of the worst offensive tackles in football. My expectation was that they could maybe eke out a wildcard. I didn't expect Jerry Reese's ridiculously stupid offseason gamble to be grossly successful and for Landon Collins to turn into the best safety in football. I also didn't anticipate the offense becoming completely dysfunctional, but I guess you can't have everything.

The best part about Jerry Reese's stupid poo poo working out is that one or two other GMs are going to attempt the same crap and get fired.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Remember when the Giants orchestrated punishments against their division rivals for the crime of paying free agents?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Febreeze posted:

Someone post the Cowboys suck a million dicks plaque I can't find it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Remember when the Giants orchestrated punishments against their division rivals for the crime of paying free agents?

Good times.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

corn on the cop posted:

No Giants fans had any bravado after the last few years.

I was very critical of the additions they made on defense and several Giants fans disagreed and turned out to be right.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well said.

I was upset with Garret not going for the FCK at the end of the half. If he didn't think Bailey had the leg for it send out the punter just never walk away when you have an uncontested shot at points. Bailey can put kickoffs in the back of the end zone and he had a few yards extra here. Even if he missed there wasn't going to be a return.

Bailey just didn't have the leg for it and Garrett is too conservative. If you want to be mad at Garrett, be upset that he didn't go full Buddy Ryan on the last pass Rodgers had; the Cowboys should have put 14 men on the field and held everyone on the field, eating enough clock that the Packers would have had to try for a hail mary instead of being able to kick a fg. That's the kind of low-football-IQ poo poo that Garrett and his teams have been continually guilty of for his entire tenure. I'd like Garrett as a coach much more if the team didn't continually make some of the dumbest loving mistakes ever.

Febreeze posted:

Where did you meet these Giants fans with Bravado

I live in New York, so they were literally everywhere, particularly after week 1

Hey man Kawalimus can get whatever tattoos he wants

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/JimmyKempski/status/820805725517660161?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

:cheers:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Romo didn't leave though...

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I dont know what the deal was with the Cowboys, but wasnt Washington's punishment from accelerating $30+ million in guaranteed money from a single contract into the uncapped year? No new free agent. No new money. Just gaming the uncapped year to try and avoid the cap pain.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gripen5 posted:

I dont know what the deal was with the Cowboys, but wasnt Washington's punishment from accelerating $30+ million in guaranteed money from a single contract into the uncapped year? No new free agent. No new money. Just gaming the uncapped year to try and avoid the cap pain.

The Cowboys extended Miles Austin to a 6 year, $54M, ~$9M AAV deal onto his original 1 year, $3M deal.

They structured it so the first season, (the uncapped year) they paid out $17M, meaning the rest of the years were only a $7M AAV hit.

The Redskins just didn't give a gently caress and tried to pay Albert Haynesworth's $20M signing bonus as they wanted out of his contract. They also paid off Deangelo Williams's signing bonus for the other $16M.

Let's all just take a moment to remember that Haynesworth contract.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Gripen5 posted:

On the other hand, 30 teams colluded to avoid paying players more during the uncapped year, as a way of forcing favorable results during CBA negotiations, so gently caress them

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

On the other hand, 30 teams colluded to avoid paying players more during the uncapped year, as a way of forcing favorable results during CBA negotiations, so gently caress them

When I think of Texas and Washington DC, I think "champions of worker rights"

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

If Jones and Snyder had their way, there'd be no salary cap, so in this case yeah, they kind of are

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

NotWearingPants posted:

Real talk, since when is dallas known for loving over a player money wise? As far as nfl teams go they have only started recently to be more business like and less personal with player salaries. I mean isn't that more of the patriots style?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

TheChirurgeon posted:

If Jones and Snyder had their way, there'd be no salary cap, so in this case yeah, they kind of are

Didn't Jones help get the salary cap put in place?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

dalstrs posted:

Didn't Jones help get the salary cap put in place?

He may have helped decide the structure, but he was one of the league's top spenders during the early 90s* and was never keen on revenue sharing for teams. Jones would prefer to operate like the Yankees

*other top teams: 49ers, Redskins

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 17, 2017

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mr. Nice! posted:

Its nice when giants, eagles, and cowboys fans can come together and agree on something.

I was at a game at the Superdome where people were screaming "Fire Rob Ryan!" and I was cheering them on in a Cowboys jersey.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Didn't they get punished fairly harshly for it? I don't really blame the teams for not exploiting that year if they knew they'd get hosed for it.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

TheChirurgeon posted:

Then the NFL would have the same wonderful parity as MLB.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

a new study bible! posted:

Hey winning every 100 years is parity.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

a new study bible! posted:

*looks at teams playing this weekend* yeah the nfl sure does have baseball beat in parity

Deki posted:

Didn't they get punished fairly harshly for it? I don't really blame the teams for not exploiting that year if they knew they'd get hosed for it.

who exactly do you think punished them?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Deki posted:

While the Cowboys took a decent hit, the Redskins hit was much worse. Though in terms of harshness, they only got hit with the amount that they managed to save in cap space when the cap came back.

If there is one reason it was harsh it was because the penalty was a one season thing but the savings would have come over several.

I posted the exact details earlier in the thread.

The Cowboys exploited it to save about $10M in cap space over 5 years and hit with a $10M cap penalty because of how they paid Miles Austin most of his guaranteed money in the uncapped year.

The Redskins exploited it to save $36M in cap space and got hit with a penalty in order to ease the burdens of the contracts of Deangelo Hall and Albert Haynesworth. The Redskins paid almost a full quarter of what would have been on that years cap because of those 2 contracts.

The Saints and one other team also hosed around with the uncapped year, but it was a lot less and they didn't get hit with a penalty.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

TheChirurgeon posted:

*looks at teams playing this weekend* yeah the nfl sure does have baseball beat in parity

That's more of a superstar effect than a dollars spent thing. At least different teams make the playoffs each year, which is unlike baseball since you can literally pick division winners before the season even begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

There's only one divison in football where you can regularly pick the division winner with certainty, and that team is literally powered by evil and blood magick.

• Locked thread