Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Sweet, a MoMA post-tantrum. Must've gotten something from the $25k espresso machine to get hyped up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

skaboomizzy posted:

Sweet, a MoMA post-tantrum. Must've gotten something from the $25k espresso machine to get hyped up.

I did just have coffee. Let's go.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Funny, [url= http://cd.textfiles.com/pcgamesexe/pcge199807/BC3KAD/BC3KPR11.TXT]in your own words[/url] your company was bleeding money (both yours and others that were given to you), enhancing just how desperate you were to sell off the rights to BC3000 and 2 other games. No wonder why - Take Two bled money and needed to recoup what they could. 618k is not chump change after all.

"My company, 3000AD, has been operating at a loss since it's inception in 1992. All my money, that of my mother's and indeed development funding and expenses from three publishers were sunk into this game....
To this day, I have people working for me part-time without ever having received more than expense payments and knowing fully well that we were probably investing in wasted time...."

Sigh. Who cares if Take Two made 15% of it's profits from your title in one year. They still bled capital for each year you didn't release it.

But, how does this relate to SC? I just don't understand how - coming from where you did - you have any authority to say what CIG does with their crowd-funded money (hint: you don't).

Nice try. Explain, in very few words, how any of that amounts to "your company was bleeding money". TIP: There are 5 occurrences of "money" in that missive. And none of them amount to anything you just wrote.

And since math is hard, you didn't actually read the SEC financials, or you'd know how the 15% revenue plays into their numbers. Because yeah, what a company filing to go public wants to do, is include a product that lost them money. Because, you know, that makes so much sense.

Newsflash: I put all my money into something that I wanted to do. Not money from Spergs. Publisher pays for their end (marketing, publishing, store presence)

ps: No matter how you try to distort facts, or continue your revisionist history - much like your iron-clad ToS, it will never be fact. You see, facts aren't hard. Lies are.

Again, keep trying though. It's hilariously entertaining.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

skaboomizzy posted:

No, I think it's the fact that I've leaked their console aspiration plans today, coupled with the other beat down from the past days in which that lying scam artist croberts has gone on the record as saying that Star Citizen is in fact a Ponzi scheme.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

It shows the average backer spending $17 when the cheapest ship costs 3 times that. I don't know what it's showing but that can't be right.

What it's showing is "if you take a particular set of assumptions about how much the average forum account with a given title on the RSI forums spends, then this is the average spending per forum account with an enlist date in Q1 2017". The actual numbers in the graph are not supposed to be taken literally (I don't have access to detailed spending information), but more indicative of a trend that emerges in the analysis. So it's really not something that should be considered devoid of the context of the wall of words that surround it.

Also, since we are considering forum accounts, not paying backers, it is very possible for an account's spending to be $0, and thus for the average spending per account to be less than the cheapest ship.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zzr posted:

But what do they port ? There is no game. Is the early acces of consoles paying too, so they can again scam some guys ?

Their best JPEGs and the hangar module to watch them.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Nice try. Explain, in very few words, how any of that amounts to "your company was bleeding money". TIP: There are 5 occurrences of "money" in that missive. And none of them amount to anything you just wrote.

And since math is hard, you didn't actually read the SEC financials, or you'd know how the 15% revenue plays into their numbers. Because yeah, what a company filing to go public wants to do, is include a product that lost them money. Because, you know, that makes so much sense.

Newsflash: I put all my money into something that I wanted to do. Not money from Spergs. Publisher pays for their end (marketing, publishing, store presence)

ps: No matter how you try to distort facts, or continue your revisionist history - much like your iron-clad ToS, it will never be fact. You see, facts aren't hard. Lies are.

You idiot: They're required to release that information on going public. Yes - they lost 618k on your poo poo-rear end release and were desperate to begin recuperating. You spent so much in development up to that point and couldn't produce, so they compelled you to do so. Talk about revisionist history: every word you said is documented in those google groups: internet archives can be a bitch, but you see, facts aren't hard. Lies are.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

boviscopophobic posted:

So for instance, out of 103,589 accounts established between June 2016 and January 2017, 4 of them are now Wing Commanders, 19 are Space Marshals, etc.

Backer investments generally isn't slowly incrementing though - I mean for the biggest whales it is, but for most backers they buy a package and that's what they get. When you're looking at the high end of pledges I imagine many of those are "level ups" but the majority of accounts will have been created at that level and will stay that way.

If I'm reading the stats correctly, in the time period only 1-2% of the most common account levels upgraded at all. I'm not sure that the graph can be explained by having a constant sign up account value with 1-2% upgrading every 6 months. I think it's far more likely that older accounts started life as higher value accounts on average, and that the majority of the frequently upgrading whales are older which emphasises this pattern. As time goes on, accounts are lower value on average and they are less likely to upgrade.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
:popcorn:

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

skaboomizzy posted:

:lol:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

Newsflash: I put all my :boom: money into something that I wanted to do. Not money from Spergs. Publisher pays for their end (marketing, publishing, store presence)

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

You idiot: They're required to release that information on going public. Yes - they lost 618k on your poo poo-rear end release and were desperate to begin recuperating. You spent so much in development up to that point and couldn't produce, so they compelled you to do so. Talk about revisionist history: every word you said is documented in those google groups: internet archives can be a bitch, but you see, facts aren't hard. Lies are.

By that post :
Internet = facts
Chris Roberts = Derek Smart
ManOfManyAliases = Toast

What is your favorite drink when you wake up ?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Oooh, touchy are well. So personal insults. That usually only happens when someone doesn't have an argument to make, let alone the ability to make one.

So ahead and show me precisely where they "lost" $618K on my game. I'll wait right here. Also, are you willing to perma-toxx over it?

Funny story. Their financials on my game, coupled with their PROFITS are what shaped our settlement agreement and determined my payout. But you know, those are just trivial details. Especially when you consider how much they sold and licensed (to third parties like GameTek)

Enter Interplay who two years later after I fixed it on my own, and again with my own money, took at look at the numbers, saw that the game did poorly, lost another publisher $618K, but thought "Yeah, this is a good plan. Let's put over a million dollars into your v2.0 version re-release". <---- :lol::lol::lol:

"compelled you to do so", you mean as in I said "no", then left, and they release it, got sued, and settled? you mean like that sort of compelling? :grin:

You're gonna need more coffee.

http://archive.li/65EGr

quote:

August 5,1998

INTERPLAY VALUE PRODUCTS DIVISION TO DISTRIBUTE BATTLECRUISER 3000ADTM v2.0

Irvine, California -- Interplay (NASDAQ:IPLY) announced today that it has signed an exclusive deal with 3000 AD, Inc. to distribute Battlecruiser 3000AD v2.0 through the company's value products division. The game will ship to retail outlets throughout North America in September, 1998 at an estimated price point of $19.95. The contract gives Interplay worldwide distribution rights. Battlecruiser 3000AD v2.0 will be available for the Windows 95® and Windows 98® platforms.

"One of the key strategies that have been profitable for Interplay is to provide interactive entertainment software for both core gamers and for the mass market, and we have been able to penetrate the mass market through our value products division because of the lower price point," said Phil Adam, vice president of business development. "Maintaining the flow of great games at the right price point, like Battlecruiser, ensures us market share in this growing area."

"We have spent the last two years improving and advancing the technologies in BC3000AD v2.0," said Derek Smart, the game's designer and lead developer. "In version 2.0 we have incorporated all the patches and enhancements and included full native support for 3Dfx accelerators. This will also be the first release in which gamers can play BC3000AD with solid Win95 and Win98 support."

The Battlecruiser:3000AD franchise was launched worldwide in 1996, and to date has sold well over 100k units. Interplay's strategy is to release the title through its value products division extending the life of the BC3000AD franchise and making the title attractive to the more mainstream shopper at a lower price point.

Interplay Entertainment Corp. is a leading developer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment software for both core gamers and the mass market. Interplay produces titles for many of the most popular entertainment software platforms, and currently balances its development efforts by publishing interactive entertainment software for personal computers and current generation video game consoles, such as the Sony PlayStation and Nintendo 64. Interplay releases products through Interplay, Shiny Entertainment, Tantrum, Black Isle Studios, VR Sports, Flat Cat, Tribal Dreams and its affiliated labels. More comprehensive information on Interplay and its products is available through its worldwide web site at http://www.interplay.com.

The statements which are not historical facts contained herein are forward looking statements that involve certain risks and uncertainties, including changes in market conditions and other factors which could adversely affect the Company's future operating results.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 16, 2017

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

I don't get paid by CIG.

You should. I mean, Americans have this weird thing about working for free on "internships" but I think you've worked long enough at CIG to be paid. Not much, mind you, God knows they need the money, but at least some token gesture of good faith.

Sure, your ironclad TOS is full of holes but what can they expect from an unpaid goon?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

Funny, in your own words your company was bleeding money (both yours and others that were given to you), enhancing just how desperate you were to sell off the rights to BC3000 and 2 other games. No wonder why - Take Two bled money and needed to recoup what they could. 618k is not chump change after all.

"My company, 3000AD, has been operating at a loss since it's inception in 1992. All my money, that of my mother's and indeed development funding and expenses from three publishers were sunk into this game....
To this day, I have people working for me part-time without ever having received more than expense payments and knowing fully well that we were probably investing in wasted time...."

Sigh. Who cares if Take Two made 15% of it's profits from your title in one year. They still bled capital for each year you didn't release it.

But, how does this relate to SC? I just don't understand how - coming from where you did - you have any authority to say what CIG does with their crowd-funded money (hint: you don't).

So we're at ad hominem attacks now to get people's attention away from the dumpster fire that is Star Citzen? Like, ok, DS hasn't had the most amazing game dev career (if you could even call them "games"), but that doesn't mean the poo poo Chris Roberts is pulling is right or that what Derek or anyone else in this thread has said is wrong.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

boviscopophobic posted:

What it's showing is "if you take a particular set of assumptions about how much the average forum account with a given title on the RSI forums spends, then this is the average spending per forum account with an enlist date in Q1 2017". The actual numbers in the graph are not supposed to be taken literally (I don't have access to detailed spending information), but more indicative of a trend that emerges in the analysis. So it's really not something that should be considered devoid of the context of the wall of words that surround it.

Also, since we are considering forum accounts, not paying backers, it is very possible for an account's spending to be $0, and thus for the average spending per account to be less than the cheapest ship.

Furthermore, gifting complicates it a bit. I was gifted a package and then upgraded to the Flying Coffin LN (so I could access backer stuff, no joke, you are not a backer with a gifted package until you spend some of your own money). So I'm in for $10.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

boviscopophobic posted:

Free-fly weekends make it a useless chart then.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

:perfect:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

It amazing the company ever survived considering it had to release it's financials to the pubic, good thing Chris is smarter than that.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Rudager posted:

It amazing the company ever survived considering it had to release it's financials to the pubic, good thing Chris is smarter than that.

:five::five::five::five:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

Funny, in your own words your company was bleeding money (both yours and others that were given to you), enhancing just how desperate you were to sell off the rights to BC3000 and 2 other games. No wonder why - Take Two bled money and needed to recoup what they could. 618k is not chump change after all.

Yeah, and they get tax breaks for bad investments, as well as other adjustments individual people don't get. Not to mention, selecting, investing in and publishing games IS THEIR BUSINESS. That is what they do.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

aleksendr posted:

The Expanse is good (i loved the first books better then the last ones) but its 0.22 Nielsen rating (0.7 M viewer) is nothing, not even a glimpse, compared to Game of Thrones 4.3 with
7.8 M views. There might be a resurgence of Sci-Fi among our circles of spergs, but its not a widespread tendency in entertainment.

Bear in mind that scify itself was a wasteland for science fiction for the longest time, but I wouldn't entirely bank on it remaining niche forever.

Accepted wisdom was there wasn't the demographic for an entirely black casted show on primetime and boom, 'Empire'. Don't count it out, these successes come out of left field.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

D_Smart posted:

Not to forget the fact that for them to even do a console port of anything, they would need to remain in business as a going concern because it's not going to fund itself to get on the console. They still need the money from backers.

That reminds me of something you definitely expect to see in the accounts of a well-run company.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

But you're still heavily invested in an unreleased game while claiming not to be Toast. That's less of a moral highground and more of a moral step-stool.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/S0xHCB0.gifv

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

boviscopophobic posted:

it turns out that there are certain anomalous accounts where just looking at them causes their last active date to be updated.

They're quantum backers, they only exsist if you're looking.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

man I'd totally watch a professional bunny boxing league

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

BadOptics posted:

So we're at ad hominem attacks now to get people's attention away from the dumpster fire that is Star Citzen?

Derek-sama you b-b-baka!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

until moma proposes a cool and good :toxx:, derek will always win

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I would like to posit that SurfaceDetail is actually funny, especially when he trolls GBS.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

MilesK posted:

They're quantum backers, they only exsist if you're looking.

Similar to how development is scalar; it's always at least 1 year sooner from wherever you're looking on the timeline.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Just a reminder, it's absolutely not normal to spend all day every single day for months on end following people on twitter and reddit, compiling all their personal information to make injokes and callbacks. It is also morally hosed up to doxx or send death threats to people, especially if their heinous crime was liking a videogame. Thank you.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I'm just glad that despite everything, even when huge laughing stock idiots like Cymellion was discovered to be being harassed, the general consensus of the people in the thread was to leave the guy alone and let him have his opinion. Nobody was all "lol go reck him!" Unfortunately I'm sure the reddit guys (and probably Cymellion himself) will gleefully overlook those facts.

The unfortunate disadvantage of trying to have a "war" is that if your "enemy" exhibits positive or endearing qualities, it gets more difficult to continue the war. Removing those "normal person with logical feelings and emotions" from people makes it easy to look down on them.

If some hardcore backers or reddit guys hating on goons and such could swallow that they'd probably realize it's because this "war" they think is happening is only them having a war against a group who isn't at war with them. We're just out to see CIG maybe eventually get what it deserves... which isn't millions of dollars, Porsches and mansions and vacations all around the world. And of course laughing at whatever is coming up that's corny.

The only comedy in the thread comes from a few sources:

1: CIG gently caress ups. (Since pretty much everything they say or write is a lie or half truth, these happen almost every time CIG does something. Not to mention they are bad at it anyhow)
2: People believing after all this time that what they hear from CIG is real, and their crazy posts to defend that belief at all costs. (Like the pupil to planet video... what is that now? Like 9 months overdue? There's not even a scrap of evidence to support that it's "coming" ever; and that's funny)
3: Crazy backers (B'tak, piracy rape guy, Stimpire guy, that Adama guy and his art, the Twitter guys, etc)
4: Creative goons poking fun at the above three.

That's pretty much it. Rehashes of old memories, cats and dogs and food. Occasional goon infighting.

There's no war. There's no smear campaigns. There's no organized take downs of whatever. There's no deep secret initiative to sink goon tendrils into CIG or whatever. It's basically different variations of goons laughing at and finding the above topics that keep it going. :cheers:

This was very much to the point. I consider this to be nothing more than an interactive daytime soap opera for nerds. Which is cool and fun and at the end of the day, a pretty harmless form of entertainment.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

mike12345 posted:

man I'd totally watch a professional bunny boxing league

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

ArfJason posted:

Just a reminder, it's absolutely not normal to spend all day every single day for months on end following people on twitter and reddit, compiling all their personal information to make injokes and callbacks. It is also morally hosed up to doxx or send death threats to people, especially if their heinous crime was liking a videogame. Thank you.

You must be really pissed about the Kiwi Farms guys then. Have you gone over there as well to give them your PSA?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Hav posted:

Bear in mind that scify itself was a wasteland for science fiction for the longest time, but I wouldn't entirely bank on it remaining niche forever.

Accepted wisdom was there wasn't the demographic for an entirely black casted show on primetime and boom, 'Empire'. Don't count it out, these successes come out of left field.

Maybe. I would love some high production value Sci-Fi, Something like BSG before the writer guild strike crippled it beyond repair ("33" being one of the best Tv i ever enjoyed). Maybe Blade Runner 2049 or the next Star-Treck will re-ignite the sci-fi interest in mainstream. GITS might surprise us, even if i dont have a lot of hope for it.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

shrach posted:

That reminds me of something you definitely expect to see in the accounts of a well-run company.

You're reading it backwards. The assumption is that the business will continue to exist in the next year, and that the financials have been prepared and signed to reflect this (without any material misstatements or uncertainties that would cast doubt on this premise). In this case, the auditor agrees with the directors' assessment and offers the opinion as "unqualified," meaning no modifications to this decision in the auditor's report. If you do not make this assessment, then why even continue to present financials? That's what this means.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Would the XBOX even be able to run star citizen though?

I heard the ram is bad or something to that effect?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

alf_pogs posted:

until moma proposes a cool and good :toxx:, derek will always win

Nah - Smarty doesn't win. I just rustle his Jimmies every now and then to keep his old man ticker going. It's all in good fun. But yeah, he's not right - ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Lime Tonics posted:

Would the XBOX even be able to run star citizen though?

I heard the ram is bad or something to that effect?

It's the worst type of RAM