Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Grem posted:

Click my little question mark.

Ugh I immediately regret my decision. I thought it'd be a light hearted child neglect story, but that poo poo has murder/suicide written all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
I [26F] hate texting people all day, every day. Is this a requirement in the dating world?

The post is innocuous, it's the comments going strong with the subtle creeping horror of serious attachment and abandonment issues (if links are verboten I'll nix it)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
when i was in college and the weed bill was starting to ramp up i just started getting ounces and selling half

so there you go your advice is 'sell drugs' :)

Mirthless posted:

It's absolutely goddamn incredible to me that so many drugs are illegal but there's a liquor store within 10 miles of just about everybody in America.

for real tho

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 16, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

haljordan posted:

Ugh I immediately regret my decision. I thought it'd be a light hearted child neglect story, but that poo poo has murder/suicide written all over it.

Alcoholism is The Worst

It's absolutely goddamn incredible to me that so many drugs are illegal but there's a liquor store within 10 miles of just about everybody in America. Maybe that guy was decent once but he is a total slave to the sauce and it'll always come first, no matter how much he deludes himself about what his priorities are. It's not just this guy, either. My dad never got that bad (my mom left him before he could) but there was so many parallels in that story, lol, like getting a DUI between custody hearings during your alcoholism-triggered divorce and repeatedly endangering children while intoxicated. If addiction is in your family, just don't drink. :(

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Spiders are awesome but tarantulas freak me right the gently caress out. Although if I had to pick between "enormous fuckoff huge spider that hisses" and centipedes, bring on the giant freak monster arachnids!

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Mirthless posted:

Alcoholism is The Worst

It's absolutely goddamn incredible to me that so many drugs are illegal but there's a liquor store within 10 miles of just about everybody in America.

We tried making it illegal.

It didn't go so well.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

Spiders are awesome but tarantulas freak me right the gently caress out. Although if I had to pick between "enormous fuckoff huge spider that hisses" and centipedes, bring on the giant freak monster arachnids!

You don't have to pick you can have both

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Universe Master posted:

It didn't go so well.

not really going so well for the other stuff either but hey

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Yawgmoth posted:

Tarantulas don't hiss or really make much of any noise

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

Classic newbie snake/spider owner mistake, thinking their pet will do anything.

(I love snakes and inverts as pets)

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
My [24M] girlfriend [24F] is a strong Donald Trump supporter. I'm a Muslim, and it makes me very uncomfortable

quote:

So my girlfriend and I have been dating since our freshman year of college. We've been living together since our sophomore year, and I'm planning on proposing soon enough.
She's really into politics, while I'm... not. I really couldn't care less. She's was in the debate club in high school and college, was very much into campus politics, and has a major in political science, so you could definitely say politics is her passion.

A few months ago, she told me how she was a Donald Trump supporter. I didn't really think much of it at the time, just thought she was caught up in the hysteria of "make America great again". Her entire family are also Trump supporters, and they make sure to let everyone know through Facebook. My feed is littered with pro-Trump posts from her family {that reminds me, I really need to stop following them)
When Trump announced his Muslim ban, it made very uncomfortable, and pretty drat angry to be perfectly honest. I'm not a very religious person by any stretch, but I am proud of my heritage and do believe in God.
I never really talked to my girlfriend about why she supported Trump, but after he announced his ban, I decided to talk to her about it. So I asked her why she supported Trump, and the basic gist of her argument was that illegal immigration was a huge problem in our country, and he seemed like the only one willing to address it, as well as him being a multi-billionaire dollar businessman meant that he knew how to make deals that would better support Americans rather than foreigners. She also liked the fact that he didn't care for being politically correct.
I asked her what she thought of the Muslim ban, and she said she didn't necessarily agree with it, but did support banning citizens from risky countries like Iraq and Syria. I told her I thought this was very wrong of him to say, and this will only increase vitriol against Muslims in this country and is completely counter-productive. She said she doesn't believe what he was saying was anti-Muslim, and he's just trying to keep this country safe.

The topic really hasn't come up again, which is normal considering we never really talked politics before. However, her support of a man that wants to ban people from my religion from entering this country makes me feel... uncomfortable. Growing up in Texas post 9/11, I've had my fair share of racism and xenophobia spewed my way, and while I know she isn't a racist or xenophobe, it just unsettles me you know? I've been wanting to propose to her for a few weeks now, but this has given me cause to pause, and I want to make sure to settle this before we take the next step. I understand her right to believe what she wants, and I'm completely fine with it! I just want her to understand and empathize with me, and I don't know how to do that.
tl;dr: Gf is a Trump supporter, I'm a Muslim. How do I make her understand why I'm uncomfortable with her support?

Trump is soooo good at deals, y'all, just the best at the deals. A real artist of deal making. Absolutely the best.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

Really? Honestly, I have the exact opposite problem, I am absolutely loving terrified of little spiders or chitinous large spiders but tarantulas are just cute and appealing to me for some reason.

Universe Master posted:

It didn't go so well.

:thejoke:

Waterbed Wendy posted:

My [24M] girlfriend [24F] is a strong Donald Trump supporter. I'm a Muslim, and it makes me very uncomfortable

Trump is soooo good at deals, y'all, just the best at the deals. A real artist of deal making. Absolutely the best.

lol why is he even making this post, the answer is so obvious

You're a muslim and she's a conservative, dude, this is the absolute definition of "it will never work out". He can't possibly think she's going to convert or ever respect his religious beliefs.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd have a bigger issue with someone being taken so completely by the con artist that is Donald Trump versus just them doing a 'gently caress the Dems' vote or something. Like at least be aware Trump is the molotov cocktail vote ffs how do you actually believe in his non-existent platform?

he's gonna build a magic wall and somehow that will eliminate the massive demand the service/agra industries have for cheap labor

the art of the deal

e:
also it's p obvious that the girl is only dating him because he's "dangerous" and a "thrill" and gonna piss off the conservative family

quote:

She's was in the debate club in high school and college, was very much into campus politics, and has a major in political science, so you could definitely say politics is her passion.

how has the education system failed her so much that she buys the Donald hook line and sinker then lmao

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 16, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Moridin920 posted:

I'd have a bigger issue with someone being taken so completely by the con artist that is Donald Trump versus just them doing a 'gently caress the Dems' vote or something. Like at least be aware Trump is the molotov cocktail vote ffs how do you actually believe in his non-existent platform?

he's gonna build a magic wall and somehow that will eliminate the massive demand the service/agra industries have for cheap labor

the art of the deal

yeah the fact that she's clearly not an accelerationist, but a conservative who drank the kool-ade, lol

how did they even get together? did he not tell her he was a muslim until they'd been dating for months or something?

i bet they have one of those relationships where they hatefuck constantly and the sex is awesome so they think that's a foundation to build a relationship on while still trying to reconcile their differences (hopefully this one collapses before they have kids and get divorced and she makes a 30 page long post to /r/relationships that's basically just a transcript of "not without my daughter")

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 16, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
he's good at, deals

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Pick posted:

he's good at, deals

the muthafuckin best, duuuuuuuuude.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Mirthless posted:

...In what loving way?

The issue is between two people. The two people in the partnership; The one who saw the video, and the one who kept it. Bringing the ex into this just turns it around on your partner for being upset. It's as much of an argument about emotional infidelity as it is about privacy violation.

Let me give you a tip here, some relationship advice: If you have this fight with your partner, and you bring up the way they violated your ex's privacy in this gently caress tape you kept, don't be surprised when they walk out and never loving talk to you again, lol

Mirthless, when you tell people their opinions on things will lead their partners to leave them, why would that not be a good thing? I think the whole point of this thread is that when people come across fundamental differences of opinion they should break up for their mutual benefit. Forget the sex tape as the issue, I don't have any sex tapes because I'm hideous, I don't know what your situation is, it doesn't matter.

Being dumped or having someone dump you is good and I would be happy my ex had the self-control not to talk to me because I probably don't want to talk to them either!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The best thing about this thread is the arguing. It's interesting.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pick posted:

You don't have to pick you can have both

Improbable Lobster posted:

Is there not some sort of hissing tarantula that exists or am I thinking of some other disgusting hellcreature

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tiny Deer posted:

Mirthless, when you tell people their opinions on things will lead their partners to leave them, why would that not be a good thing? I think the whole point of this thread is that when people come across fundamental differences of opinion they should break up for their mutual benefit. Forget the sex tape as the issue, I don't have any sex tapes because I'm hideous, I don't know what your situation is, it doesn't matter.

Being dumped or having someone dump you is good and I would be happy my ex had the self-control not to talk to me because I probably don't want to talk to them either!

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here so can you please clarify this

because it sure sounds to me like you're saying "you should never try to make a relationship work if it means you have to consider your partner's feelings first"

i feel like that can't possibly be right

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's normal to disagree and whatever with your partner; I think the place most issues arise from is when there is a lack of adult communication and one side is just unreasonable (tarantula dude) or unwilling to listen to the other side of things. If my SO came at me screaming about a sex tape they found on my drive, I'm immediately going to dig my heels in and get into defense mode. If they brought it up and we discussed it like adults, I might very well decide 'hey I'd rather my current SO be happy than to keep these old rear end vids/pics.' Partially because I'd want to keep the latter person around more versus the person who comes at me screaming their head off.

Pick posted:

I def like that we can put forth our differing opinions on various things without turning it into a poo poo slinging thread.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

Is there not some sort of hissing tarantula that exists or am I thinking of some other disgusting hellcreature

Hissing cockroaches are fun, inexpensive, and very hardy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

:agreed: and I hate when people complain about derails. The arguments are just as much a part of the thread, as long as they're related to a topic sparked by a r/relationships post.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Mirthless posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here so can you please clarify this

because it sure sounds to me like you're saying "you should never try to make a relationship work if it means you have to consider your partner's feelings first"

i feel like that can't possibly be right

Oh God everyone is right how do I keep getting tricked into doing this with you. You might be dumb but I am clearly much, much stupider than you to go for the bait every time!!

Well played, you son of a bitch.

I promise to just ignore Mirthless now, guys, I'm sorry. This is all my fault and I'm a dummy.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tiny Deer posted:

Oh God everyone is right how do I keep getting tricked into doing this with you. You might be dumb but I am clearly much, much stupider than you to go for the bait every time!!

Well played, you son of a bitch.

I promise to just ignore Mirthless now, guys, I'm sorry. This is all my fault and I'm a dummy.

what the gently caress are you even on about

i wasn't being sarcastic: I wanted you to explain to me what you were saying, because I know my interpretation was incorrect

it's really tiresome to argue with you since you have a tendency to just skim my posts and then resort to "hey everybody, it's mirthless! :rolleyes:" when i press you to elaborate

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pick posted:

Sever, tell boyfriend he is a wiener, continue to use amazing reddit handle "throwtarantula"

A few pages back but this girl owns and she should dump her big baby boyfriend and find herself someone who (correctly) thinks spiders are rad.

edit: I'm still catching up

Pick posted:

Life of the tarantula owner:

owner: holy poo poo!!!! martha!!! martha come over here!!!! come over here, quick quick quick, look at this!!!!!!!

martha: what

owner: it's on the other side of the cage today!!!!!!!! look!!!!!!!!!!

lmao

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 16, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Yawgmoth posted:

Nope

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Due to a hurricane a friend of mine brought a tarantula that belonged to a someone they pined for on a several hundred mile trip. i can confirm as a non tarantula owner theyre basically fuzzy rocks and to me, at least, the next level up from cat lady in so far as you dont really do anythig with your pet but feed it.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mak0rz posted:

A few pages back but this girl owns and she should dump her big baby boyfriend and find herself someone who (correctly) thinks spiders are rad.

I will never ever understand the "my gf/bf wants me to get rid of my pet" phenomenon, but it seems so common. It's such an obviously lovely thing to do to somebody even if you've got a phobia, feels like they should have split up on this issue pretty early on.

I'm glad it's a phenomenon that exists tho b/c it's one of the lovely behaviors that pushed my wife away from her last boyfriend. :3 had a lot of good years with a house full of pets. gently caress people who don't like animals.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I [26F] hate texting people all day, every day. Is this a requirement in the dating world?

The post is innocuous, it's the comments going strong with the subtle creeping horror of serious attachment and abandonment issues (if links are verboten I'll nix it)

Jesus Christ these people are needy.

quote:

Responding every minute or two is a bit ridiculous, but I hardly think it's hard to respond every 10-15.

I don't know about you but A) I don't want to check my phone every 15m and B) There's a lot of situations, like work/class/driving, where I cannot and would not be on my phone for extended periods of time.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
every 10-15 minutes if you have nothing to say beyond 'hey still having a good day?' is pretty drat annoying

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dienes posted:

Jesus Christ these people are needy.

I don't know about you but A) I don't want to check my phone every 15m and B) There's a lot of situations, like work/class/driving, where I cannot and would not be on my phone for extended periods of time.

hahaha what

every 10-15 minutes???

whaaaaaaaat

what are the odds the guy who posted that is a teenager in high school b/c i cannot loving imagine a real adult person texting me every fifteen minutes

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'm sorry you all think spiders aren't the demons they clearly are.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mak0rz posted:

I'm not even big on spiders personally but if someone owns like ten thousand spiders I don't really care if they're not like in my mouth

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

VanSandman posted:

I'm sorry you all think spiders aren't the demons they clearly are.

it's a demon but the glass cage it's kept in has protection from evil cast on it and the cleric who renews the wards is also the person responsible for all of your blowjobs

just saying maybe you should trust the quality of the seal

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Mirthless posted:

yeah the fact that she's clearly not an accelerationist, but a conservative who drank the kool-ade, lol

how did they even get together? did he not tell her he was a muslim until they'd been dating for months or something?

i bet they have one of those relationships where they hatefuck constantly and the sex is awesome so they think that's a foundation to build a relationship on while still trying to reconcile their differences (hopefully this one collapses before they have kids and get divorced and she makes a 30 page long post to /r/relationships that's basically just a transcript of "not without my daughter")

I mean Grover Norquist has a Muslim wife so I guess it's not impossible, depending on how you compartmentalize politics and your personal life.

If you want something way weirder, the founder of one of the most popular Nazi podcasts was doxxed and it turns out he's married to a Jewish woman who even made appearances on his show. I don't even know how you begin to reconcile that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
James Carville and Mary Matalin.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Waterbed Wendy posted:

lol at this:

quote:

him being a multi-billionaire dollar businessman meant that he knew how to make deals that would better support Americans rather than foreigners

A good businessman knows how to make deals that better support him getting richer. End of definition. If that means outsourcing labor to cheap Chinese factories so be it.

Trump would never do that though, right? :ohdear:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mak0rz posted:

lol at this:

A good businessman knows how to make deals that better support him getting richer. End of definition. If that means outsourcing labor to cheap Chinese factories so be it.

Trump would never do that though, right? :ohdear:

if there's one possible good outcome from the next four years, maybe we can finally stop hearing people saying we need to run the country like a household budget or a business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Mirthless posted:

hahaha what

every 10-15 minutes???

whaaaaaaaat

what are the odds the guy who posted that is a teenager in high school b/c i cannot loving imagine a real adult person texting me every fifteen minutes

People who are super needy about texts are invariably just really insecure, they try to frame it in different ways to not sound like such a weenie but at the end of the day you could replace mosts of their texts with "hey, do you still like me" and the gist is the same.

A good example:

quote:

I think I responded to you upthread somewhere, but for me, it's basically a thing where--being a normal person--I really like people who like me. Certain things can signal that you really are ambivalent toward me (e.g., never responding when I text you). If there's a totally reasonable reason for that behavior, of course that's good info to have, and will provide an explanation for why there's no response.

"If you don't immediately text me back always it must be because you don't like me"